Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Yess.. another theatre thread! Jo Sullivan Loesser going ape shit over new GUYS & DOLLS on Broadway!

Loesser widow demanding that director Des McAnuff make changes....NOW! And she wants Oliver Platt to depart. She HATES the production. Sez Frank would spin in his grave if he saw this disaster.

by Anonymousreply 67March 7, 2009 11:09 AM

I thought she was dead.

by Anonymousreply 1February 22, 2009 12:03 AM

But she'll cash the checks.

by Anonymousreply 2February 22, 2009 12:17 AM

She loved McAnuff's How To Succeed, which, frankly, wasn't that great. So this is probably exceptionally good.

by Anonymousreply 3February 22, 2009 12:21 AM

No pun intended with "frank"ly.

by Anonymousreply 4February 22, 2009 12:21 AM

is there a link for this gossip?

by Anonymousreply 5February 22, 2009 12:22 AM

Well, it's about time she did something. I saw a production of "How to Succeed" in Chichester, of all places, that did the show exactly as written, and it was much, much better than McAnuff's revival.

by Anonymousreply 6February 22, 2009 12:26 AM

How old is Jo now? She's cleverly managed to keep her birth date off of any of the database sites for theatre and movies.

I'm guessing 80-ish?

by Anonymousreply 7February 22, 2009 12:27 AM

Meddling widows suck. She never did anything but get fucked by an ugly, rich man.

by Anonymousreply 8February 22, 2009 12:29 AM

r8 = stage manager of "Guys and Dolls."

by Anonymousreply 9February 22, 2009 12:32 AM

she was happier with maurice hines version- and the scandal is that maurice and des have the same agent-

by Anonymousreply 10February 22, 2009 12:33 AM

No, R9 speaks the truth. She married the boss and now has control over his creative output. Her pussy got her the job. Probably gave good head.

by Anonymousreply 11February 22, 2009 1:29 AM

It doesn't matter that she fucked her way into Loesser's life. She was a loyal wife, and has done a great job looking after his artistic legacy in the 40 years since he died.

by Anonymousreply 12February 22, 2009 1:45 AM

[quote] She never did anything but get fucked by an ugly, rich man.

Well in addition to starring as the first "Rosabella" on Broadway in "The Most Happy Fella" she also co-starred with DL fave Bea Arthur, Charlotte Raye and Lotte Lenya in "The Three Penny Opera."

by Anonymousreply 13February 22, 2009 2:14 AM

oops..meant "Rae" not Raye

by Anonymousreply 14February 22, 2009 2:15 AM

Jo met Frank when he cast her as his ingenue in The Most Happy Fella which is, coincidentally, the story of a pretty young mail-order bride who learns to love and respect her rich and ugly old husband.

No one on Broadway was bothered by Jo breaking up Frank's marriage.....that first wife was known on The Rialto as The Loesser of Two Evils.

by Anonymousreply 15February 22, 2009 2:20 AM

Jo Loesser would surely have been invited to a final run-through rehearsal of the show before the cast even got into the theatre. I wonder, therefore, if her complaints started a few weeks ago? How much power could she have legally at this point?

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2009 3:47 AM

[quote] How much power could she have legally at this point?

She could pull the plug on the show. NOBODY does a major revival of one of Loesser's shows without her complete blessing.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2009 3:52 AM

Which part is Oliver Platt playing? I don't see him as either Sky OR Nathan...

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2009 4:24 AM

The old joke is that she's, "the evil of two Loessers"

by Anonymousreply 19February 22, 2009 4:51 AM

Have you seen it? She's not wrong.

by Anonymousreply 20February 22, 2009 6:17 AM

Oh, I'm blushing up here in heaven! My apologies and thanks r19.

by Anonymousreply 21February 22, 2009 2:59 PM

But if she pulls the plug, that means no $$$ for her. Though in this instance it might be more like $.

by Anonymousreply 22February 22, 2009 3:01 PM

Bullshit R17, she or her rep at some point in the process signed a license agreement with the producers for this outing. She can't just "pull the plug" now because she doesn't like the result.

by Anonymousreply 23February 22, 2009 3:17 PM

"Have you seen it? She's not wrong."

Of course it's bad, it's playing on Broadway and you could do eveything in that theater better, right? Now skedaddle back to ATC with the rest of the theater loving losers.

by Anonymousreply 24February 22, 2009 3:22 PM

"She can't just "pull the plug" now because she doesn't like the result."

She can if the agreement allows for it. Never ever count out Jo Loesser.

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2009 3:25 PM

No, r19, that would be Frank's first wife, Lynn.

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2009 5:23 PM

[quote] She can't just "pull the plug" now because she doesn't like the result.

She can because she has it written into every contract that she has final right of approval over the production. And that includes the right to pull the rights AT ANY TIME.

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2009 5:30 PM

r8- let's not forget that Sullivan also managed to break up Loesser's first marriage, so yes, she did do something else.

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2009 8:57 PM

She wields quite a bit of power. She's the reason we have never gotten a legal video release of the film version of WHERE'S CHARLEY?

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2009 9:00 PM

'Well, we know she first appeared on Broadway in "Sleepy Hollow" and "As the Girls Go both in in 1948, so 80ish seems about right.

by Anonymousreply 30February 22, 2009 11:15 PM

Jo Loesser even went ballistic over men's hat choices in the 1992 revival so I can just imagine the trouble she's causing on this one.

by Anonymousreply 31February 22, 2009 11:23 PM

Are James Goldman's wife and Jo bosom buddies? Barbara tanked the Paper Mill Playhouse transfer of FOLLIES to Broadway.

Wives of dead artists should be banned from meddling in their late husband's work.

by Anonymousreply 32February 22, 2009 11:40 PM

Actually, r32, it was Sondheim who didn't want the Papermill FOLLIES to move to Broadway. He let Mrs. Goldman take the heat because he did not want a lot of hurt feelings but it was definitely his final call on that one... and ultimately everyone wound up finding out.

by Anonymousreply 33February 22, 2009 11:45 PM

[italic] Wives of dead artists should be banned from meddling in their late husband's work.

[/italic]

Except in this case, when the wife of the dead artist happens to be completely right. Everything about this revival, including re-setting it in the 30s, is a disaster. Firing Platt and putting it back in the 50s would help some, but it's just poorly directed and conceived.

by Anonymousreply 34February 22, 2009 11:46 PM

[quote]Well in addition to starring as the first "Rosabella" on Broadway in "The Most Happy Fella" she also co-starred with DL fave Bea Arthur, Charlotte Raye and Lotte Lenya in "The Three Penny Opera."

So she could carry a tune (in olden times) and give head to the boss. Which do you think she was better at?

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2009 11:48 PM

This is undoubtedly the final G&D in Jo's lifetime so the stakes are very high!!!!

She might have another How to Succeed or Happy Fella in her short future.

Why won't she allow a revival of Where's Charley?

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2009 11:54 PM

r36-- she won't allow a revival of Where's Charley?? I know she won't let the movie get a DVD release. I didn't know she was against a stage revival too.

by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2009 12:09 AM

she is literally trying to stop this show- it is getting really unpleasant between her reps and the reps of the other side. uncivil war

by Anonymousreply 38February 23, 2009 12:13 AM

I think the better question would be Why would anyone in their right mind want to DO a revival of Where's Charley?

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2009 12:13 AM

Jo's Mother Eileen is still alive, or at least was alive a year ago when Jo and Frank's daugter Hannah died of cancer at the age of 44 so her being in her 80's may be pushing it.

by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2009 12:46 AM

She allowed Goodspeed Opera House to do Where's Charley with Noah Racey about four years ago. She also allowed a concert version in DC several years ago. I have no idea why she won't okay the movie for DVD, but even more, I wonder how on earth she has control over that? I doubt Loesser would have had the power in Hollywood to get the rights needed to stop the rerelease at the time he signed his movie contract.

by Anonymousreply 41February 24, 2009 5:24 AM

[italic]I doubt Loesser would have had the power in Hollywood to get the rights needed to stop the rerelease at the time he signed his movie contract.[/italic]

I dunno. Some of those Tin Pan Alley songwriters were both powerful and savvy. No one in Hollywoood got the better of Cole Porter or Rodgers and Hammerstein when it came to contracts. I'm willing to bet that Loesser secured some iron-clad control over his material that continues to this day.

by Anonymousreply 42February 24, 2009 6:29 AM

Why didn't Sondheim want the Papermill Production of Follies to come to Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 43February 24, 2009 7:23 AM

That's true about Rodgers and Hammerstein, r42, but hardly true of Cole Porter. I doubt he would have let them replace all of his score (save one song in each case) from "Gay Divorce" and "Something for the Boys" if he'd had the kind of control you claim he had.

The movie of "Where's Charley" was made in 1950, before Loesser became the kind of entertainment force he became with G&D and Happy Fella.

by Anonymousreply 44February 24, 2009 8:11 AM

Did you see the Papermill Follies, r43? It was like the Walt Disney version of it. Much miscasting, and poorly directed.

Of course, the Roundabout revival wound up being far worse, but he couldn't have foreseen that at the time he had to weigh in on a possible Papermill transfer.

by Anonymousreply 45February 24, 2009 8:12 AM

Several years ago, there was an on line petition that was sent to Warners requesting that "Where's Charley?" be released on DVD. That went nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 46February 24, 2009 1:28 PM

Surely she would OK the WC movie for DVD. Who could it hurt and think of the money! It's just that no one is interested.

by Anonymousreply 47February 24, 2009 1:29 PM

"Wives of dead artists should be banned from meddling in their late husband's work."

You're right, that should be left to the members of All That Chat and BroadwayWorld.com

by Anonymousreply 48February 24, 2009 1:44 PM

"She can because she has it written into every contract that she has final right of approval over the production. And that includes the right to pull the rights AT ANY TIME."

Bullshit. Urban Legend. No producer would gamble $5 to $10 million dollars on her whims. She can bitch and moan all she wants but she can't pull the show.

by Anonymousreply 49February 24, 2009 1:47 PM

"Why didn't Sondheim want the Papermill Production of Follies to come to Broadway?"

Because even he knows the show sucks. With the exception of few catchy songs, the show is a mess and there has NEVER been a successful production of it.

by Anonymousreply 50February 24, 2009 1:49 PM

The Annie Get Your Gun DVD was held up for years because someone on the original creative team (I think it was the book writers and not Berlin) hated the movie.

by Anonymousreply 51February 24, 2009 1:50 PM

r47- Well I'd be interested! All I have is a second generation bootleg.

by Anonymousreply 52February 24, 2009 1:52 PM

Yes, and look at the movie version of PORGY & BESS. Never been available on VHS or DVD (no official release) except thru some service that offers hard to find titles but the prints are far from pristine.

by Anonymousreply 53February 24, 2009 1:55 PM

ANNIE GET YOUR GUN's DVD release was held up due to the fact that Betty Hutton's performance was so horrific, even Jason would go running back to the woods.

by Anonymousreply 54February 24, 2009 1:56 PM

Is this the 'big announcement' - link to Jo Sullivan Loesser interview in New Jersey online newspaper.

If you don't want to click the link ... she says nothing bad about the production, approves all.

Thread debunked?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 24, 2009 3:50 PM

R43, I seem to remember it was the widow of book writer James Goldman who didn't want FOLLIES transferred to Papermill.

by Anonymousreply 56February 24, 2009 4:14 PM

R55 - that little puff piece says nothing about these rumors, being what it is, a generic puff piece.

Nice try at damage control though, PR shill.

by Anonymousreply 57February 24, 2009 4:24 PM

[italic]That's true about Rodgers and Hammerstein, r42, but hardly true of Cole Porter. I doubt he would have let them replace all of his score (save one song in each case) from "Gay Divorce" and "Something for the Boys" if he'd had the kind of control you claim he had.[/italic]

On the contrary, Cole Porter commanded the respect and fear of every studio head in Hollywood. He had more money than any of them and a reputation for "class" they all dreamed of having. He didn't care what they did to his scores so long as they paid him extremely well for the privilege of attaching his name to their projects. Porter was of a generation of NY show people who looked down their noses at film and film audiences as laughably inferior to the Broadway crowd.

Porter was totally joking when he told the studio that he wanted Cary Grant to play him in the movies. Such was their willingness to please him that Cary Grant was exactly who they got.

by Anonymousreply 58February 24, 2009 4:29 PM

I know that Frank Loesser founded the company now known as Music Theatre International. Does his widow still have a stake in it, or did she sell it?

by Anonymousreply 59February 24, 2009 4:50 PM

Back the truck up a minute -- what's the dish about Lynn Loesser?

by Anonymousreply 60February 24, 2009 6:10 PM

r56, go back to r33. Sondheim was the one who kept Follies from transferring.

by Anonymousreply 61February 24, 2009 8:39 PM

Hi Guys,

Just joined up, i can't see the edit button to edit my profile lol can anyone help?

thanks guys

by Anonymousreply 62March 4, 2009 8:18 PM

FYI: Jo Sullivan Loesser sold Music Theatre International in the mid-1970s, though all of FL's Broadway shows remain in MTI's catalogue. GREENWILLOW may not be "active' in the catalogue at this time, and neither PLEASURES AND PALACES (which closed in Detroit) nor SENOR DISCRETION HIMSELF (which FL abandoned in 1967) have entered any catalogue.

FL did not found Music Theatre International, but bought it from its two founders soon after its inception, and while FL kept his hand in MTI (among many of his businesses, such as Frank Music, etc.), its daily operations were run by Allen Whitehead.

by Anonymousreply 63March 6, 2009 11:09 PM

What exactly is your point r63?

by Anonymousreply 64March 7, 2009 12:26 AM

r64, I was answering the inquiry from r59.

by Anonymousreply 65March 7, 2009 1:36 AM

r64, I was answering the inquiry from r59.

by Anonymousreply 66March 7, 2009 9:35 AM

>r56, go back to r33. Sondheim was the one who kept Follies from transferring.<

Sondheim does not control first class rights for Follies. For some reason, Goldman does. Roundabout wanted to do Follies and Bobby Goldman gave them the rights, on condition that they do The Lion in Winter first, which they did. That deal was in place long before the Paper Mill production even happened.

Sondheim suggested some of the Paper Mill casting, worked directly with the cast, attended the production numerous times, sold house seats to friends, attended the final cast party and was an active executive producer for the cast recording.

The "Sondheim let Bobby Goldman be the heavy" argument is a specious story put forth by Michael Riedel that has been taken by some here as gospel. At worst, I know that Sondheim wished the Paper Mill production had plumbed more of the darkness of the material, but he was otherwise pleased with the size and grandeur of it.

by Anonymousreply 67March 7, 2009 11:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!