Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NY Post: Is Jeremy Piven the biggest jerk in show business?

Link to article.

Offsite Link
by Raul and the b/creply 41January 28, 2009 4:03 AM

How slick of him. Asking to get out of the show before Charlie the Tuna even attacked-and then no medical follow up apparently in LA. Junkies are funny!

by Raul and the b/creply 1January 27, 2009 12:57 PM

Yes. Quite the accomplishment, considering the quality of the competition.

by Raul and the b/creply 2January 27, 2009 1:15 PM

Don't care, I'd still lick every last pore on his body.

by Raul and the b/creply 3January 27, 2009 1:20 PM

Loved this quote:

[quote]In Hollywood double-speak, "exhaustion" has long been shorthand for "coke habit," "dehydration" for "anorexia" and "overheating" for "drinking problem." And now there's "mercury toxicity," which some Broadway veterans and Hollywood insiders are taking to be code for "royal jerk."

by Raul and the b/creply 4January 27, 2009 1:39 PM

[quote]After speaking with Jeremy on the phone, Speed-the-Plow playwright David Mamet balked at the mercury excuse and told Variety, "My understanding is that he is leaving show business to pursue a career as a thermometer."

OUCH!

by Raul and the b/creply 5January 27, 2009 1:44 PM

Back in the 1990s, friends from college and I lived in Chicago. One night, outside one of the art house movie theatres, one of my friends saw Jeremy Piven. They actually almost bumped into each other, Jeremy was talking to someone behind him and wasn't looking where he was going as he stepped out the door, and my friend was trying to walk in the same door. So my friend says "Hi Jeremy Piven!" and Jeremy Piven said in a fake deep voice, "Hello, Fan."

by Raul and the b/creply 6January 27, 2009 2:00 PM

The Piven Family workshop sounds like a great idea for a sitcom with Catherine O'hara and Eugene Levy as the Pivens. Each week they bring in a new celebrity to interview ala the Actors Studio but focus on bad celebrities. (Week one - Paris Hilton Week 2 - Vern Troyer Week 3 - Charlie Sheen)

by Raul and the b/creply 7January 27, 2009 3:26 PM

Great article, but I'm not sure that Piven-bashing in a NY tabloid is going to effect him in Los Angeles.

The article should be picked up by Variety or the Hollywood Reporter, and it might be if the Broadway producers of STPdidn't just file a grievance with Actors' Equity but also a civil lawsuit for breach of contract and loss of revenues.

My guess is that Piven would settle with them long before that happened, though.

by Raul and the b/creply 8January 27, 2009 3:50 PM

"Great article, but I'm not sure that Piven-bashing in a NY tabloid is going to effect him in Los Angeles."

It already has. The reporter was not kidding about the cold reception he got from many people at the Golden Globes. He's already got a terrible reputation (as bad if not worse than Winger in her heyday). This is doing him no favors.

by Raul and the b/creply 9January 27, 2009 4:06 PM

"Great article, but I'm not sure that Piven-bashing in a NY tabloid is going to effect him in Los Angeles."

Of course, God knows no one in Hollywood reads Page Six.

by Raul and the b/creply 10January 27, 2009 4:12 PM

"Letting out a gutteral moan, he ripped the sleeves off a $350 Giorgio Armani shirt."

Who would want to wear it after he'd been in it anyway?

by Raul and the b/creply 11January 27, 2009 4:15 PM

"A source involved with the play says that by acting like an entitled celebrity and breaking his contract, "Jeremy Piven proved to the world that he's a television star, he's not an actor."

!

by Raul and the b/creply 12January 27, 2009 4:17 PM

R,8 The N.Y.Post is sold daily in L.A. And is very popular with the movie crowd. Mainly for Page Six.

by Raul and the b/creply 13January 27, 2009 4:20 PM

the deliciousness of the article is that he posed for the photos before he quit the play, and the accompany article was supposed to be a puff piece on him to promote the play. The editors decided to trash him instead, as well as continue to promote the play.

by Raul and the b/creply 14January 27, 2009 4:23 PM

I can't recall a more vicious hatchet job. The producers must despise him.

"But according to insiders, not a single Entourage co-star showed up to support Jeremy (in contrast, the entire cast of TV's Mad Men came to cheer for co-star Elisabeth Moss, says a show producer)."

"It even made him a perfect fit for the role of Speed-the-Plow's Bobby Gould, a middling Hollywood producer who describes himself as a "whore" and bets that he can bed the office temp. "I thought Jeremy was great because he was playing himself," remarked one veteran Broadway producer."

by Raul and the b/creply 15January 27, 2009 4:27 PM

I LOVE that he lost the SAG award! Love it. Love it. LOVE IT!!

by Raul and the b/creply 16January 27, 2009 4:28 PM

>is going to effect him

Offsite Link
by Raul and the b/creply 17January 27, 2009 4:29 PM

I still find him hot.

by Raul and the b/creply 18January 27, 2009 4:31 PM

I have rarely, if ever, read such a great hatchet job. Sadly, HBO probably won't care but Entourage must be about done by now anyway. It's nice to see someone called publicly on shitty behaviour, especially when they have only ever won awards for playing a variation on their own character.

by Raul and the b/creply 19January 27, 2009 4:31 PM

As the song says.....

Offsite Link
by Raul and the b/creply 20January 27, 2009 4:38 PM

He did "put asses in seats" on Broadway, And business fell off a lot when he left. Producers are so mercenary, they may give him another try if he's willing.

by Raul and the b/creply 21January 27, 2009 4:38 PM

They not only dissed him, they dissed his parents!

LOL!

by Raul and the b/creply 22January 27, 2009 4:41 PM

So Entourage fans were going to watch him in a Mamet play? Weird.

Of course, I once read an interview with David Suchet (Poirot) in which he talked about two ladies in the front row of a performance of Amadeus: one of them kept whispering (loud enough for him to hear), "Are you sure that's him? He looks nothing like Poirot!"

by Raul and the b/creply 23January 27, 2009 4:47 PM

A jerk? That's rather mild. Asshole seems more appropriate. Even if he were genuinely sick with mercury poisoning, there are plenty of other aspects of the story that point to him being an asshole.

I think it's very telling that none of his "Entourage" cast members showed up to see "Speed the Plow," while the entire cast of "Mad Men" came to cheer on Elizabeth Moss. And that alone has nothing to do with Piven having mercury poisoning.

In fact, him having mercury poisoning would have been more of a reason for his "Entourage" cast members to attend "Speed the Plow," and they didn't.

by Raul and the b/creply 24January 27, 2009 5:28 PM

the Page Six article is covered by People magazine in this week's issue. Stick a fork in his career, it's done.

by Raul and the b/creply 25January 27, 2009 8:10 PM

Attendance was down during the no-name sub, back up now.

by Raul and the b/creply 26January 27, 2009 8:19 PM

"Stylists report that he remains adamant that no one be allowed to touch his hair on photo shoots (speculation about him having hair plugs is rampant in the media)."

Maybe someone should pop an episode of Ellen in the DVD player and have a look. He was bald ten years ago. Thankfully, when Entourage finishes so too will Jeremy's career. His impact in movies has been negligible and he appears only capable of playing himself (Entourage, Speed the Plow). Maybe he can play one of those Wall Street bankers when the time comes to make a movie about the financial collapse of 2008.

by Raul and the b/creply 27January 27, 2009 8:30 PM

no-name sub? you're joking, right?

by Raul and the b/creply 28January 27, 2009 8:33 PM

I'm with you, R28. No-name sub!? Are you ignorant?

by Raul and the b/creply 29January 27, 2009 8:34 PM

Norbert Leo Butz is a hosuehold name where you come from?

by Raul and the b/creply 30January 27, 2009 8:36 PM

Norbert Leo Butz is a household name where you come from?

by Raul and the b/creply 31January 27, 2009 8:37 PM

January 27, 2009

With Piven Gone, x91Plowx92 Speeds Apace By BEN BRANTLEY

Is it too late to send a thank you note to Jeremy Piven? This indisputably talented actor has been heaped with scorn and ridicule since he ducked out early (in December) on his contract for the Broadway revival of David Mametx92s x93Speed-the-Plow.x94 While the showx92s producers have filed a grievance against Mr. Piven with the Actors Equity Association, I x97 in the forgiving spirit of a new American era x97 would like to point out the blessings that have arrived with his departure.

First of all, Mr. Pivenx92s official reason for leaving the show, that he had developed mercury poisoning from eating too much sushi, allowed Mr. Mamet to come up with his funniest one-liner in years, and yes, I saw x93November.x94 (Mr. Mamet to Variety: x93My understanding is that he is leaving show business to pursue a career as a thermometer.x94) But more important, Mr. Pivenx92s absence has made me fonder of x93Speed-the-Plowx94 than I would ever have thought possible.

Let me explain. I much enjoyed Neil Pepex92s production of this short, sharp 1988 comedy when it opened at the Barrymore Theater in October with Mr. Piven, RaxFAl Esparza and Elisabeth Moss. But really, this fast-paced probe of the underside of the movie industry didnx92t seem to me much more than an expert plumbing of minimal depths.

But now that I have seen two of Mr. Pivenx92s replacements in the central role of Bobby Gould, a film producer who catches a slight case of existential crisis, I am newly respectful of both Mr. Mametx92s accomplishment here and of the artistry of first-rate actors. Itx92s not that Norbert Leo Butz, who took over the part from Dec. 23 through Jan. 11, and William H. Macy, who is now in the role through Feb. 22, are better than Mr. Piven. All three actors have been more than creditable.

No, what truly impresses me is how each was able to provide a fully detailed, self-contained portrait that made me forget x97 at least for the length of the performances x97 all Bobbys past (including Joe Mantegna, who created the part 20 years ago).

For the record, Mr. Piven, Mr. Butz and Mr. Macy are nothing like one another. And while they have all spoken the same lines (more or less to the letter) and maintained the same essential, dizzying momentum, they have still created separate but equal Bobby Goulds who, every time, made me think about who exactly this guy was and where he was coming from.

Letx92s start off with Mr. Piven. In some ways he was the most obvious choice for the role. Having achieved fame playing a conscience-free movie agent on the HBO series x93Entourage,x94 Mr. Piven hit the stage swathed in his audiencex92s perception of him as a Hollywood player, both in and out of character. (Mr. Pivenx92s party-going has long been a staple of gossip columns.)

His Bobby, as befits a man recently promoted to the chief of production at a film studio, had the hungover air of a hedonist waking up to new responsibilities and realizing that his youth is nearly spent. He was glib and sly, in a vulpine way, but also just a tad unsteady on his freshly acquired legs of authority. That subliminal shakiness set us up perfectly for what later happens to Bobby, who turns out to be the playx92s most passive figure as well as, nominally, its most powerful.

Mr. Butz, an actor of infectious buoyancy (blissfully in evidence on Broadway in x93Dirty Rotten Scoundrelsx94 and x93Is He Dead?x94), was warmer, less jaded and more boyish (though, at 41, he was only two years younger than Mr. Piven). Here was Bobby the fair-haired son, whom people instinctively liked, a response that he had always been aware of and exploited for professional ends. Almost matching the inexhaustible Mr. Esparza (as Bobbyx92s wired-up protxE9gxE9 and longtime pal, Charlie Fox) in pure kinetic exuberance, Mr. Butz radiated the rowdy energy of a popular but responsible teenage student who has been put in charge of the high school.

x93This is going to be fun,x94 you sense him thinking, on the one hand; on the other, therex92s a hint of confusion x97 and a dawning loneliness x97 in his eyes as he contemplates his change in status.

Mr. Macy is more than 15 years older than Mr. Piven and Mr. Butz. He is also the most naturally fluent in Mr. Mametx92s splintered, revved-up dialogue, having practiced it onstage for decades. (I have seen him in Mr. Mametx92s x93American Buffalox94 and, unforgettably, in x93Oleanna.x94) When he speaks his first lines, itx92s with an even-voiced affectlessness that is classic Mamet performance style. x93Oh, Ix92ve seen this performance,x94 I thought.

But I was wrong. Mr. Macy uses flat tones x97 which by degrees shade into fierce irritability and all-out anger x97 and his lean, weathered face to suggest the weariness of a man who has paid his dues, knows the score and is starting to think that he may have underestimated the price.

In different ways the Bobbys of Mr. Piven and Mr. Butz were peers of Mr. Esparzax92s Charlie. Mr. Macyx92s Bobby is an indulgent, slightly stern mentor who sees in Charlie the overeager, carnivorous wolf cub he once was. The dynamic between them takes on newly darkened x97 and, fleetingly, almost tragic x97 shadings in the final scene. The conflict (over which of two movies to produce) has turned Oedipal instead of fraternal, and the stakes seem higher than they ever have before.

In his 1997 book, x93True and False: Heresy and Common Sense for the Actor,x94 Mr. Mamet said that acting should involve little more than speaking exactly what the playwright has written. x93There is no character,x94 he wrote. x93There are only lines upon a page.x94 This prescription (which, like most of Mr. Mametx92s proclamations, should be taken with a whole pile of salt) doesnx92t allow for what has happened with this production of x93Speed-the-Plow.x94

Under the seasoned guidance of Mr. Pepe (a longtime collaborator of Mr. Mametx92s), three Bobbys have mastered the strict rhythmic patterns that performing Mamet requires. But within that framework each has created an individual and independent character who helps make the play more than a sustained, albeit sophisticated, anecdote with a killer punch line.

Oh, therex92s one more thing I want to thank Mr. Piven for. If he hadnx92t left when he did, itx92s unlikely I would have returned to x93Plowx94 to experience the tremendous pleasure of watching Mr. Esparza and Ms. Moss grow in their roles. They were excellent when I first saw them, but they have acquired new confidence and insights as they adjust their charactersx92 attitudes in relation to the latest Bobby in their lives.

Karen, the seemingly naxEFve secretary ostensibly cut from a sewing pattern when Madonna played her 20 years ago, has been transformed by Ms. Moss into a full-blown woman of compelling appetites who hasnx92t quite mastered the skills to feed her hunger. Mr. Esparza has acquired the timing and assurance of a virtuoso jazz musician, riffing electrically without derailing the melody (and now stopping the show with certain line readings).

In large part thanks to them, x93Speed-the-Plowx94 is just as fun as it was in October, but also richer and more satisfying. That Mr. Piven hasnx92t been part of that evolution is his loss.

Offsite Link
by Raul and the b/creply 32January 27, 2009 8:41 PM

Loved the description that Brantley does of the energy between Norbert and Raul. Piven WAS great in tha play, even if he was just playing himself, but Norbert was better.

by Raul and the b/creply 33January 27, 2009 8:49 PM

The producers of Speed-the-Plow have filed grievance charges with Actors Equity over Piven's adrupt exit from the play.

by Raul and the b/creply 34January 27, 2009 9:19 PM

When I read the hair plugs line, I laughed. I mean, come on. You'd think the man's first acting job was ENTOURAGE, according to this writer. Anyone can see some of his early work (someone posted the Ellen show. I remember his co-starring in the shitty film with Emilio Estevez and Cuba Gooding, Jr. when their van broke down in a bad part of town and Denis Leary and his gang terrorized them. Can't remember the title, but maybe someone else can) and know that he's sporting a toup.

One of the best things about all of this bad publicity is that now that he's starting to lose at award shows, maybe the other guys who have always been nominated will FINALLY get a chance at the prize.

Dust off that mantle, Neil Patrick Harris!!!

by Raul and the b/creply 35January 27, 2009 9:34 PM

Brantley's article is perfect in its objective perspective. No bitchiness or slights. He called it very nicely. Loved it. I wish I had that skill.

by Raul and the b/creply 36January 27, 2009 10:12 PM

He'll OD soon enough.

by Raul and the b/creply 37January 27, 2009 10:15 PM

Being a bigger asshole than John Cusack is a noteworthy accomplishment.

by Raul and the b/creply 38January 27, 2009 11:05 PM

Fabulous Brantley review, and I'm glad for everyone who is involved with the show. Business did go down when the asshole left, and I'm sure this will give them a huge buoy in these last weeks.

by Raul and the b/creply 39January 28, 2009 3:36 AM

He will always be sitcom George to me.

by Raul and the b/creply 40January 28, 2009 3:56 AM

r38, it's no wonder they're friends.

by Raul and the b/creply 41January 28, 2009 4:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!