Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

You''re The One...

by The Vogues...one of the greatest pop songs of the '60s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 31, 2008 8:19 PM

Beautiful!

by Anonymousreply 1October 31, 2008 1:30 AM

How old are you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2October 31, 2008 2:53 AM

52, R2. I think the song came out in 1965. I was young but I remember it well.

by Anonymousreply 3October 31, 2008 3:43 AM

It's a great tune OP. I'd never heard it, but I just downloaded it.

R2, who cares how old the OP is? I'm only 24, but great music is timeless. Some of the best tunes in my library are from the 50s, 60s and 70s- way before I was born.

One of the best things about this website is all the great music the posters have introduced me to- Nina Simone, Dinah Washington, Jeff Buckley, The Guess Who, Joni Mitchell, The Stone Roses, Eva Cassidy, Al Green, The Clash- the list goes on and on, and most of it was recorded before I was a teenager.

So, thank you OP, and thanks to all of the posters who have turned me on to timeless, classic pop music. You have my eternal gratitude! As a token of my gratitude, here's a link to one of the cool disco tunes I heard about through Datalounge-

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 31, 2008 4:18 AM

Thank you, R4. You're a wise and open-minded. I liked your link too. I remember dancing to that song in the days of disco.

by Anonymousreply 5October 31, 2008 4:26 AM

I like it, but Five O'Clock World is my favorite of theirs. God, I love that song.

by Anonymousreply 6October 31, 2008 12:07 PM

Especially the beginning of You're the One made it one of the most addictive songs of my youth. I could listen to it over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 7October 31, 2008 6:01 PM

queer-bate

by Anonymousreply 8October 31, 2008 6:05 PM

Why was everyone so uptight in those days? Even the pop musicians wore suits and performed like robots.

by Anonymousreply 9October 31, 2008 6:07 PM

The performance is not robotic. It is very much the style and rhythm of the day. This was a big hit. As for their style of dress...that's what people wore. You didn't appear on stage in jeans and a T-shirt.

Every see the early days of Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Temptations, The Four Tops? The wore jackets and ties. Even The Beatles wore suits when the first appeared on TV. They weren't uptight, but rather just well-dreseed--maybe over-dressed compared to the changes that took hold in 1967-'68. But this was 1965. It was different then.

by Anonymousreply 10October 31, 2008 7:36 PM

They are so clean-cut and tidy. Yuk.

by Anonymousreply 11October 31, 2008 7:40 PM

Petula Clark (of "Downtown" fame) actually wrote this song, believe it or not. Here is a video of her singing it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 31, 2008 7:43 PM

The best part of the clip of the Vogues are the girls dancing in the background and getting DOWN

by Anonymousreply 13October 31, 2008 7:57 PM

I went to school with a guy whose dad was in The Vogues

by Anonymousreply 14October 31, 2008 8:19 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!