Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ethel Merman and Ernest Borgnine''s marriage. Does anybody know what happened?

In her autobiography, Ethel leaves a page blank about their marriage. It didn't last long, but does anybody know what the feud was about?

by Anonymousreply 3209/21/2008

He couldn't "please" her.

by Anonymousreply 109/20/2008

HE couldn't stand the stink.

by Anonymousreply 209/20/2008

She was a Broadway star, he was a movie star.

They honeymooned in Tokyo, among other "exotic" locales. Everywhere they went, Ernie was recognized and adored. Whenever he introduced his wife, "Ethel Merman" meant absolutely nothing to anyone.

He says that by the time they returned to LA they weren't on speaking terms. They each contacted their attorney, and ended the marriage.

by Anonymousreply 309/20/2008

According to Merman, on their wedding night, Borgnine gave her a "Dutch Oven;" meaning he farted in bed and held the sheets over her head so she was forced to smell his stink. No I'm not making this up!

by Anonymousreply 409/20/2008

r4, Howard Stern asked him about that and he didn't denied it.

by Anonymousreply 509/20/2008

A link to support r3:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 609/20/2008

A short marriage and yet we were still blessed with Varla Jean!

by Anonymousreply 709/20/2008

A short marriage and yet we were still blessed with Varla Jean!

by Anonymousreply 809/20/2008

W&W for r8!

by Anonymousreply 909/20/2008

Sarah Palin is the kind of character Merman made a Broadway career out of: unsophisticated and lively gal who rises to the top and turns out to be smarter than the featured players around her.

by Anonymousreply 1009/20/2008

The mirror cracked. Twice.

by Anonymousreply 1109/20/2008

The divorce decree listed cause as "irreconcilable faces."

by Anonymousreply 1209/20/2008

His secretary called me this summer to order him some more checks. She told me he is working on 3 projects.

I can only figure that the marriage failed because his cock was bigger than hers...

by Anonymousreply 1309/20/2008

She told a confidante that after they got married he wanted to pee on her.

by Anonymousreply 1409/20/2008

Hers was bigger than his'

by Anonymousreply 1509/20/2008

This thread is grossing me out.

by Anonymousreply 1609/20/2008

thank God they didn't produce offspring - can you imagine?

by Anonymousreply 1709/20/2008

Takes two pieces of crap to make a bad marriage. Perhaps if the idiots had waited say, like, five more minutes before marrying - or had at least waited until they were sober - then this whole catastrophe wouldn't have happened. For either of them to blame the other for this fiasco is the idiot's way out of a stupid mistake.

by Anonymousreply 1809/20/2008

He knows what he did.

by Anonymousreply 1909/20/2008

R18 is taking the Borgnine/Merman marriage WAY too personally.

by Anonymousreply 2009/20/2008

[italic]thank God they didn't produce offspring - can you imagine?[/italic]

One of his cast members on McHALE'S NAVY made himself unpopular with Borgnine when he held up a newspaper announcing the marriage and declared, "And I get the pick of the litter!"

by Anonymousreply 2109/20/2008

Come to think of it, they did kind of resemble each other.

by Anonymousreply 2209/20/2008

Merman found out that their expensive honeymoon trip to Japan had been paid for by Ernie's studio as a publicity junket. That pissed her off.

Her famous quote "I'm a lover, not a fighter" was interpreted to mean that he had been beating her, but that wasn't so.

Brian Kellow's book has the best and most logical account of what happened.

by Anonymousreply 2309/20/2008

They decided to have sex, and halfway through they both shot their cookies.

by Anonymousreply 2409/20/2008

Well, we heard what Ernie had to say. I wonder what her version of the events were.

If she's not saying, she is either a lady or a slut. I wonder which one.

by Anonymousreply 2509/20/2008

Although Ernie had a serial masturbatory issue, he had PTS.

Princess Tinymeat Syndrome

by Anonymousreply 2609/20/2008

After they broke up, one of Merman's friends finally asked:: "Why on earth did you ever marry HIM!" Merman responded: "How many offers do you think I get?"

Merman supposedly had permanent hot pants and, being no beauty, terrified men with her agressive behaviors including waiters, bartenders, etc.

by Anonymousreply 2709/20/2008

He couldn't find enough flour on their honeymoon to get to the infamous wet spot.

by Anonymousreply 2809/20/2008

Big argument about who was the pretty one.

by Anonymousreply 2909/20/2008

"If she's not saying, she is either a lady or a slut."

Or dead..

by Anonymousreply 3009/21/2008

Borgnine was/is a homophobe. Merman liked the ladies on the side. Borgnine probably wasn't aware of this before the marriage.

by Anonymousreply 3109/21/2008

R3, regardless of what Borgnine says, that story is the most typical kind of Photoplay bullshit -- I've seen it applied to dozens of failed show biz marriages.

I think Borgnine actually thought they were going to have sex in the marriage; Merman was under the impression that it was going to be friendship/companionship sexless type of union. OR, it could have been the other way around!

by Anonymousreply 3209/21/2008
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!