Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

McCain''s MASSIVE coverup of wife''s drug addictions.

All kinds of scandal.

John McCain Hid Wife's Drug Use, Whistleblower Says

Cindy McCain's addiction to prescription painkillers emerged into public view 14 years ago with a well-orchestrated PR campaign designed to preserve her ...

by Anonymousreply 4509/12/2008

Cindy McCain's addiction to prescription painkillers emerged into public view 14 years ago with a well-orchestrated PR campaign designed to preserve her husband's political future.

Aside from a lengthy contemporary investigation from Phoenix's alternative weekly and occasional mentions since then, the addiction back-story -- including ample questions about what John McCain knew, when he knew it and questions over whether he was complicit in the cover-up -- has gone largely untold. Until now.

Tom Gosinski, a former employee of the medical-aid charity Cindy McCain used as personal supplier of Percocet and Vicodin, is speaking out publicly for the first time.

On Wednesday, Gosinski sat down with RAW STORY and other outlets to tell his story and distribute copies of his personal journal from his time with the American Voluntary Medical Team in the last half of 1992, where he voiced ever more acute concerns and frustrations over McCain's drug use and its impact on her mood and job performance.

"My journal wasn't to trash Cindy or anything," he says. "My journal was kept because I came in contact with so many people. It was a way of keeping an ongoing biography of all the people I met, so I could refer back to it."

He says he can't buy the official McCain camp line that Cindy's drug abuse was kept from her husband, he saw and heard too much for any of their stories to make sense -- like the time Cindy was allegedly taken to the hospital after an overdose and John rushed in to berate the doctors and nurses there before moving Cindy to their secluded Sedona ranch. Then there were the Hensley family interventions and the fact that Cindy's drug abuse came to be something of an open secret among employees of the charity.

"I have always wondered why John McCain has done nothing to fix the problem," Gosinski wrote on July 27, 1992. "He must either not see that a problem exists or does not choose to do anything about it."

Less than a month later, Gosinski was clearer about McCain's knowledge of his wife's problem: "John McCain has known about it for some time," he wrote on Aug. 14.

In confessing to her drug abuse in orchestrated interviews with friendly journalists in 1994, Cindy McCain said she had kept her problem hidden from her husband and sought treatment at some point in 1992. Questions remain about the validity of those assurances, and Gosinski's contemporary journal shares a story suggesting John McCain knew of his wife's problem earlier than anyone has suggested.

In an Oct. 5, 1992, entry, Gosinski writes about a story that circulated just a few days after Cindy McCain's parents, Jim and Smitty Hensley, confronted her about her drug abuse.

[>]Last Friday, late in the afternoon, Miss Jeri (Cindy's aunt) was visiting with Dalton Smith, the Hensley's Pilot about Jim and Smitty confronting Cindy about her drug problem. During the conversation Dalton mentioned an incident which took place a couple of years ago -- Cindy had taken too many pills and had been rushed to a hospital near their home on Oak Creek. John McCain was rushed to the hospital and rather than helping Cindy obtain help he had her dismissed from the hospital and taken to the Cabin. I had assumed the entire family knew of the incident as Kathy Walker had mentioned it to me many months ago but come to find out Jeri and the Hensleys knew nothing of it. Needless to say it was very painful for Miss Jeri to find this out and she was very concerned about what the news of this occurrence would do to Jim and Smitty. Whatever the outcome, I doubt that Jim and Smitty will ever be able to respect John McCain again

Even now, more than a decade-and-a-half later, Gosinski says he's not convinced that Cindy has cleaned herself up. Asked if her behavior in public and on the campaign trail this year mirrored his experiences in 1992, Gosinski agreed.

"I'm probably looking too closely, [but] I would say yes," he said in an interview. But I've got a biased opinion on that."

From July 2, 1992, until Gosinski's termination the following January, he grows increasingly agitated at McCain's behavior and becomes convinced she is using the charity more for self-promotion than as a means to aid the poor.

"I have mixed emotions about what I believe should happen to AVMT," Gosinski wrote in one of his last journal entries in December 1992. "It does not deserve to continue to exist as it is currently being operated -- it is a very expensive toy for a very disturbed lady. Cindy has use (sic) the organization for self-promotion and as a source for the drugs to which she is addicted."

Gosinski, who believes he was fired because he had learned too much about McCain's drug abuse, says he has remained quiet out of fear of retribution from John McCain or his political allies.

After he was fired from AVMT, Gosinski, a lifelong Republican, says he was "black balled" from future political jobs. Furthermore, McCain and his Keating Five lawyer John Dowd orchestrated an extortion investigation aimed at squashing a wrongful termination lawsuit Gosinski had filed.

"I think everybody knows that John McCain has a volatile ... temper," Gosinski said Wednesday. "And I don't know how they can mess with my life. They certainly tried to mess with it 15 years ago by making me unemployable and ruining my opportunity for a job in Republican politics in Arizona."

By the time the wrongful termination suit was filed and the investigation launched, Gosinski already had been meeting for nearly a year with the Drug Enforcement Agency to detail Cindy McCain's use of the charity as her own personal pain-killer depot. Essentially, Gosinski could not have been blackmailing the rich, powerful and politically connected McCain family because he already had told the authorities what he knew.

Gosinski was fired after he complained about prescriptions Cindy McCain had ordered in his name, and he approached the DEA with a x93what ifx94 scenario asking whether he could be held liable for not coming forward with information about the drug thefts.

Ironically, in their pursuit of a designated political enemy, McCain and his allies ended up setting in motion the process that would eventually expose Cindy McCain's drug abuse.

"[Neither] my lawsuit, nor anything I did with the DEA, made the matters public," Gosinski says. "When John Dowd and John McCain tried to intimidate me" it put it into the public sphere because Dowd "pretty much directed the Maricopa County Attorney's office" on how to pursue an extortion case. The records of that case became a part of the public record and contained Cindy McCainx92s admission of a drug problem while revealing the DEA was investigating her charity.

Several hundred pages of documents from the extortion investigation and Gosinski's lawsuit also were distributed Wednesday, along with excerpts from his journal. No extortion charges ever were filed, and Gosinski says he eventually gave up on the lawsuit when he realized he was up against McCain's relentless and well-funded Washington legal team.

Included in the documents are interviews with several McCain and Hensley associates and employees of the AVMT. Smith, the Hensley pilot who mentioned Cindy's alleged early 1990s overdose, clammed up when the Mariposa County attorney turned his questions toward her drug problem.

[>]I asked Mr. Smith if he learned, from any source, that Cindy McCain may have had, or does have, a drug dependency. Mr. Smith became upset and said, "I am not willing to discuss that." He said, "I did not come here [to] talk about Cindy, I came here to talk about Tom." ... He advised he will not answer the question and would rather have an attorney present if we were going to be talking about drugs.

When he started working for McCain's medical charity, Gosinski says he quickly became friends with the McCains and the Hensleys -- Cindy's family whose Hensley & Co. beer distributorship made them all incredibly wealthy.

Gosinski says he accompanied Cindy McCain to Bangladesh, where she decided to adopt her daughter Bridget (he confirmed that the story of Mother Theresa's involvement was completely fabricated), and he used to accompany McCain and her children on outings to the mall or the swimming pool.

The journal excerpts released Wednesday, though, portray a deep sense of pity on Gosinski's part for the life McCain had made for herself, concern for the effect her addiction was having on her children and a growing disillusionment with her political persona.

"During my short tenure at AVMT, I have been surrounded by what on the surface appears to be the ultimate All American family," he writes on July 27, 1992. "In reality, I am working for a very sad, lonely woman whose marriage of convenience to a US Senator has driven her to: distance herself from friends; cover feelings of despair with drugs; and replace lonely moments with self-indulgences."

Several journal entries also mention McCain's daughter Meghan, who was 7 when the journal was written. Now 23, Meghan blogs about pop culture and her father's campaign and has recently written a children's book.

Gosinski details a conversation with Jeri Johnson, Cindy McCain's aunt, regarding Cindy's nanny, Diane, in a July 28, 1992 entry.

[>]Diane voice concerns regarding Cindy's use of drugs and the effect it is having on the kids. Diane told Jeri that Meghan recently told her to "fuck off" after trying to discipline her. She also told Jeri that she is concerned that Cindy is giving the kids drugs which unnecessarily sedate them. I hope that is not happening.

Concerns that Cindy McCain is unnecessarily drugging her children appear again in a July 31 entry -- "Cari (Cindy's adopted daughter) told the three that she fears Cindy gives the kids prescription drugs they do not need," Gosinski wrote.

As summer turns toward autumn, the charity becomes an outgrowth of John McCain's senate re-election campaign, with travel and scheduling coordinated by aides on his campaign and senate staffs, Gosinski writes.

"I have never been so aware of the amount of insincerity behind a political campaign as I am now with John McCain's reelection campaign," he writes on Sept. 3, 1992. "Everything Cindy McCain does is politically motivated and driven by the almighty 'photo op.' I am convinced that Cindy McCain could give a rat's ass about the citizens of the third world countries or the victims of natural disasters."

by Anonymousreply 109/11/2008

This is a great article. I would love for a reporter to ask Cindy McCain when is the last time she used prescription painkillers.

I think this could be big. I wish it hadn't come out on 9/11.

Do you think this is what they were talking about on DU?

by Anonymousreply 209/11/2008

Wow, I bet she is fun to party with though!

by Anonymousreply 309/11/2008

I'm tired r1 - too much to read - can someone give a DL summary for the lazy.

by Anonymousreply 409/11/2008

It's not the addiction he covered up. He covered up her crimes.

by Anonymousreply 509/11/2008

r4, At the time it came out publically she said that she hid it from him and they acted like he was just learning about it.

The article alleges he TOTALLY knew about it and put pressure on the DEA to cover it up.

Also that she OD'd.

Also that she drugged her own children.

by Anonymousreply 609/11/2008

Cindy and Rush Limbaugh should negotiate a two-fer deal with the Mexicans.

by Anonymousreply 709/11/2008

Think Betty Ford and Pat Nixon, mixed with botox and there you may have your next First Lady.

by Anonymousreply 809/11/2008

r8, we already have for the past eight years.

One thing you can say for Hillary, she was definitely not on downers.

by Anonymousreply 909/11/2008

No offense R4 but what subject would make you read that much text? Because this article basically made me stick to my chair (take that any way you want)

by Anonymousreply 1009/11/2008

Well, they can ask her on the View, because apparently she didn't restrict the interview.

I'm positive this will be discussed on the view. Right?

by Anonymousreply 1109/11/2008

She only took them because the label read 'Cunt be gone'

by Anonymousreply 1209/11/2008

If she's recovered then it is a great story for the McCains. It will only help them. People love a recovered alcoholic or addict.

by Anonymousreply 1309/11/2008

Can we do a celebrity edition of "Intervention"?

by Anonymousreply 1409/11/2008

Not when they stole from a charity or never made their amends, r13.

by Anonymousreply 1509/11/2008

That's a whole fuck of a lot of pills a day.

by Anonymousreply 1609/11/2008

pills to mask the pain of being an abused wife perhaps??

by Anonymousreply 1709/11/2008

Pickles "Pills" McCain.

by Anonymousreply 1809/11/2008

Junkies are junkies-they don't need an excuse.

by Anonymousreply 1909/11/2008

Kind of like drunken Kitty Dukakis.

by Anonymousreply 2009/11/2008

Do they have anyone else to testify on this? The word of a disgruntled former employee isn't going to be credible enough to make this a problem for McCain.

by Anonymousreply 2109/11/2008

I'm pretty sure she is still taking pills.

She's got to be on something, to have been married to McCain all of this time.

by Anonymousreply 2209/11/2008

It's her version of community service. She's preventing others from getting hooked on prescription drugs by doing them herself.

Sarah Palin Exposed

Alaska governor Sarah Palin (the vice president nomination) reveals her history in this exclusive footage of her accepting the republican committee's nominat...

by Anonymousreply 2309/11/2008

I mean if you had to live with that reject from a graveyard, you'd want to medicate yourself with as many pills as you get your hands on.

by Anonymousreply 2409/11/2008

You wish r21. Keep whistling past the graveyard. We'll wake you when it's over.

by Anonymousreply 2509/11/2008

Can you imagine having to get in bed with him every night?

by Anonymousreply 2609/11/2008

I imagine some of Cindy's days start by rising at the crack of noon. An assistant updates her on that day's stock market. A cook prepares "something light" (grapefruit, toast, OJ with a splash of vodka). After noticing the hot gardner or pool boy outside, Cindy showers, slides into a slimming one piece bathing suit (with the requisite cover up). She then applies moisterizer, and "youthful" makeup. After pondering "hair up or down", she opts for down. She tells her assistant to make a Botox appt.-ASAP. The butler informs her that John is on the phone. Eyes rolling, she instructs the butler to tell John "she's busy". She closes the bedroom door, and gleefully heads to her bedside table's drawer. Hidden beneath "charity requests", a day planner, chapstick, emergency cigarettes, & a copy of "The Secret", she eagerly finds her bottle of 10mg. Oxycontin. She pops one & puts one in the pocket of her cover up. (One is just an appetizer). She goes into the kitchen & takes a bottle of John's beer from the fridge. She heads outside to lounge by the pool, instructing the house staff to stay inside. Spotting Rex, the college age pool boy, she slides up to him & offers him the beer. "You're doing a great job, nobody pumps a pool like you, Rex." Flustered Rex takes the beer and thanks her. She fakes interest while Rex explains that champaign glasses should never be tossed into the pool, the same applies to Vietnam War memorabilia. Watching Rex's tight, muscular body, Cindy pops her other Oxy & washes it down with a swig of Rex's beer. "My vitamin", she tells Rex. She removes her cover up & spreads out seductively on a wrought iron (with ghastly cushions), chaise lounge. Rex throws up a little in his mouth. "Are you OK"?, Cindy asks. "I think the chlorine is getting to me", Rex replies. "I'll finish this tomorrow". As Rex speeds away in his Father's Ford F-150, Cindy is beyond horny. She goes back in the house, tells the staff "as you were", and goes back to her (and her's alone) bedroom. Into her underwear drawer she goes. Her heart is beating rapidly at the anticipation of finding "relief." Finding her "Mandingo" vibrator, life is good! Cindy proceeds to the bed, and pleasures herself-over & over. The staff all to familiar with her moans & groans, giggle like school girls. Exhausted & content, Cindy "naps" until 5PM. The cook calls her & wants to finalize that evening's menu. "Yes, chicken wings, pigs in a blanket, pizza, & a cheese tray are fine." "Senile old bastard-another night of John & his VFW buddies", she mumbles. Cindy calls a pal & suggests they meet at the Sheraton Hotels's lounge. Friend agrees. Cindy changes into a D&C evening dress complete with matching purse & pumps. Cindy retrieves her Oxy, taking 3 with her. At the lounge, Cindy's socialite pal is droaning on & on about her day at "Head Start." (she's so fulfilled!). Cindy excuses herself, goes to the powder room, and rumages through her designer bag, looking for the pills. "1 now, 2 on the way home", she estimates. When she returns to her friend, they decide to "cut loose" & order 2 "Slow Screws up Against the Wall." It's not what Cindy was hoping for, but it is a potent drink. They then decide to order club sandwiches (they've been "good"). They proceed to discuss that day's society page ("I can't believe she wore THAT"), Sarah Palin ("my husband is an ass", Cindy deadpans), the kids, and their latest "treasures." John calls Cindy on her cell phone, she lets it go to voicemail. John messages that he knows Cindy's a cunt, but at least show up at home & say hi to "the guys". Cindy summons her driver, her friend decides to chat up the cute out of town businessman at the bar. Cindy pops the remaining 2 Oxys on the ride room. Upon arriving, she's not walking too steady & slurring her words. However, one of John's war buddies mistakenly thinks he's on leave in 1970, and thinks Cindy is that evening's "entertainment." He offers her $20 for "around the world." Cindy is insulted. John laughs & informs his buddy that Cindy doesn't even go south of the border, much less around the world. Cindy tells John if he had something worth pursuing "south of the border", she would. John again calls her a cunt. Cindy huffs back to her bedroom, checks her date book for tomorrow's activities. Board meeting, lunch with Republican donors ("better take 4 oxys with me"), fitting at Saks, and the most important-GO TO THE PHARMACY WITH OXY SCRIPT (in the name of her maid. ("She'll never know"). Cindy changes into a silk nightgown, removes her makeup, and brushes her teeth. She retrieves her sleeping mask from the nightstand, puts it on, and wonders why her Mother never told her life would be this awful.

by Anonymousreply 2709/12/2008

I imagine some of Cindy's days start by rising at the crack of noon. An assistant updates her on that day's stock market. A cook prepares "something light" (grapefruit, toast, OJ with a splash of vodka). After noticing the hot gardner or pool boy outside, Cindy showers, slides into a slimming one piece bathing suit (with the requisite cover up). She then applies moisterizer, and "youthful" makeup. After pondering "hair up or down", she opts for down. She tells her assistant to make a Botox appt.-ASAP. The butler informs her that John is on the phone. Eyes rolling, she instructs the butler to tell John "she's busy". She closes the bedroom door, and gleefully heads to her bedside table's drawer. Hidden beneath "charity requests", a day planner, chapstick, emergency cigarettes, & a copy of "The Secret", she eagerly finds her bottle of 10mg. Oxycontin. She pops one & puts one in the pocket of her cover up. (One is just an appetizer). She goes into the kitchen & takes a bottle of John's beer from the fridge. She heads outside to lounge by the pool, instructing the house staff to stay inside. Spotting Rex, the college age pool boy, she slides up to him & offers him the beer. "You're doing a great job, nobody pumps a pool like you, Rex." Flustered Rex takes the beer and thanks her. She fakes interest while Rex explains that champaign glasses should never be tossed into the pool, the same applies to Vietnam War memorabilia. Watching Rex's tight, muscular body, Cindy pops her other Oxy & washes it down with a swig of Rex's beer. "My vitamin", she tells Rex. She removes her cover up & spreads out seductively on a wrought iron (with ghastly cushions), chaise lounge. Rex throws up a little in his mouth. "Are you OK"?, Cindy asks. "I think the chlorine is getting to me", Rex replies. "I'll finish this tomorrow". As Rex speeds away in his Father's Ford F-150, Cindy is beyond horny. She goes back in the house, tells the staff "as you were", and goes back to her (and her's alone) bedroom. Into her underwear drawer she goes. Her heart is beating rapidly at the anticipation of finding "relief." Finding her "Mandingo" vibrator, life is good! Cindy proceeds to the bed, and pleasures herself-over & over. The staff all to familiar with her moans & groans, giggle like school girls. Exhausted & content, Cindy "naps" until 5PM. The cook calls her & wants to finalize that evening's menu. "Yes, chicken wings, pigs in a blanket, pizza, & a cheese tray are fine." "Senile old bastard-another night of John & his VFW buddies", she mumbles. Cindy calls a pal & suggests they meet at the Sheraton Hotels's lounge. Friend agrees. Cindy changes into a D&C evening dress complete with matching purse & pumps. Cindy retrieves her Oxy, taking 3 with her. At the lounge, Cindy's socialite pal is droaning on & on about her day at "Head Start." (she's so fulfilled!). Cindy excuses herself, goes to the powder room, and rumages through her designer bag, looking for the pills. "1 now, 2 on the way home", she estimates. When she returns to her friend, they decide to "cut loose" & order 2 "Slow Screws up Against the Wall." It's not what Cindy was hoping for, but it is a potent drink. They then decide to order club sandwiches (they've been "good"). They proceed to discuss that day's society page ("I can't believe she wore THAT"), Sarah Palin ("my husband is an ass", Cindy deadpans), the kids, and their latest "treasures." John calls Cindy on her cell phone, she lets it go to voicemail. John messages that he knows Cindy's a cunt, but at least show up at home & say hi to "the guys". Cindy summons her driver, her friend decides to chat up the cute out of town businessman at the bar. Cindy pops the remaining 2 Oxys on the ride room. Upon arriving, she's not walking too steady & slurring her words. However, one of John's war buddies mistakenly thinks he's on leave in 1970, and thinks Cindy is that evening's "entertainment." He offers her $20 for "around the world." Cindy is insulted. John laughs & informs his buddy that Cindy doesn't even go south of the border, much less around the world. Cindy tells John if he had something worth pursuing "south of the border", she would. John again calls her a cunt. Cindy huffs back to her bedroom, checks her date book for tomorrow's activities. Board meeting, lunch with Republican donors ("better take 4 oxys with me"), fitting at Saks, and the most important-GO TO THE PHARMACY WITH OXY SCRIPT (in the name of her maid. ("She'll never know"). Cindy changes into a silk nightgown, removes her makeup, and brushes her teeth. She retrieves her sleeping mask from the nightstand, puts it on, and wonders why her Mother never told her life would be this awful.

by Anonymousreply 2809/12/2008

by Anonymousreply 2909/12/2008

by Anonymousreply 3009/12/2008

WoW1 I don't know why it posted 4 times! r27-30 Sorry

by Anonymousreply 3109/12/2008

Don't get me wrong, R25.... Watching McCain go down like this would bring me immense joy. I'd just hate to get all excited over this if there's no one else to corroborate this guys's story (even though I'm sure it's true). It's no secret that Cindy stole drugs from her own charity, and unless people start coming out saying they were bought off by McCain, I don't see how this would be that damaging to him. Keeping my fingers crossed that it blows up in his face big time!

by Anonymousreply 3209/12/2008

get some sleep, hon-r27-30

by Anonymousreply 3309/12/2008

by Anonymousreply 3409/12/2008

She shakes like a little teacup poodle.

by Anonymousreply 3509/12/2008

Has she ever gone to rehab or done 12 Steps? If not hard to believe she is clean.

by Anonymousreply 3609/12/2008

opiate bump

by Anonymousreply 3709/12/2008

She has that dreamy glazed look. Maybe she's on methadone (which will fuck you up too but you can say you're technically clean)

by Anonymousreply 3809/12/2008

bizarre old photo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3909/12/2008

How old is she?

In this photo her hands look 75, yet her face looks 51...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4009/12/2008

??

by Anonymousreply 4109/12/2008

that trollop is a cunt

by Anonymousreply 4209/12/2008

R42, if you want to win the election, why are you spending your time on Datalounge? Do you want Pallin to do all the work?

by Anonymousreply 4309/12/2008

Huh?

by Anonymousreply 4409/12/2008

hey. it was the 90s. who didn't want some vicodin or pecocet?

by Anonymousreply 4509/12/2008
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!