Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sir Cliff Richard is gay and lives with a former priest

[bold]Sir Cliff Richard reveals identity of his male companion[/bold]

Legendary pop singer Sir Cliff Richard has revealed that he has shared his life with a former Roman Catholic priest for the last seven years.

Sir Cliff, 67, is one of the UK's best-known Christians, has been the victim of persistent rumours and innuendo about his sexuality.

In his autobiography My Life, My Way, published yesterday, the singer said he met Father John McElynn in 2001.

"He hadn't any thought at the beginning of giving up the priesthood, but when it became clear he was thinking of the possibility, I suggested he might help me with some charitable projects," he wrote.

"That was seven years ago and our arrangement has worked out really well. John now spends most of his time looking after my properties."

Sir Cliff said the former priest shares his home and has become a companion, and complained that he is dogged by questions about his sexual orientation.

"'I am sick to death of the media's speculation about it. What business is it of anyone else's what any of us are as individuals? I don't think my fans would care either way."

He has previously spoken of his support for civil partnerships.

Sir Cliff began his career in the 1950s and has scored UK number ones in every decade since.

His notoriously loyal fanbase has ensured his popularity well into his sixties - My Life, My Way is expected to be a bestseller.

Journalist Penny Junor helped him write the book, in which "Cliff is going to talk freely and frankly about what it is like to be Cliff."

by Anonymousreply 49February 26, 2009 10:26 PM

He gave up little boys for a priest?

Well, I guess he and the priest have a lot to talk about.

by Anonymousreply 1September 4, 2008 3:53 PM

He hasn't said he's gay, just that he is his friend.

by Anonymousreply 2September 4, 2008 4:00 PM

I imagine millions of sixty year old women must be incredibly upset.

by Anonymousreply 3September 4, 2008 4:03 PM

another thread that's worthless without pics.

by Anonymousreply 4September 4, 2008 4:04 PM

He wrote "The Young Ones," which became the theme song for one of my favorite British comedies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5September 4, 2008 4:32 PM

Cliff Richard is gay? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! Who's next, Morrissey?

by Anonymousreply 6September 4, 2008 4:35 PM

"one of the UK's best-known Christians"?

You mean up there with, say, the Queen, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Antonia Fraser, and Tony Blair?

Come on!

by Anonymousreply 7September 4, 2008 5:16 PM

>> Sir Cliff, 67, is one of the UK's best-known Christians, has been the victim of persistent rumours and innuendo about his sexuality.

So people who are thought to be gay are considered victims?

by Anonymousreply 8September 4, 2008 5:58 PM

Had huge 80s hits ("We Don't Talk Anymore", "Wired for Sound", "Some People") produced & written by genius Alan Tarney who also worked with Leo Sayer & Yvonne Elliman ("Green Light"). Also sang with Livvy on "Xanadu" soundtrack, the MOR hit "Suddenly".

by Anonymousreply 9September 4, 2008 6:14 PM

Don't forget this top ten smash!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10September 4, 2008 6:21 PM

"Some People" is the shit, but there were two other artists who had the same title out around the same time, Tina Turner (or was her's "Two People"?) & gay diva E.G. Daily! E.G.'s is from her excellent sophomore release "Lace Around the Wound".

by Anonymousreply 11September 4, 2008 7:12 PM

how did no one know he is gay?

by Anonymousreply 12September 4, 2008 7:18 PM

Oh Cliff, just come out and say it. Think about all the good you'd be doing for little boys all over the world who are posing in front of bathroom mirrors and warbling "Suddenly" into a hair brush.

by Anonymousreply 13September 4, 2008 7:21 PM

The poor man still cannot bring himself, out of fear, loathing or feeling backed into a corner by a bunch of wrinklies, to say the simple words "I am gay".

Poor Cliff, it must be awful to have to call your boyfriend your "property caretaker" at sixty year old FFS. Just shows how much we HAVEN'T moved on, despite his weak protests that "nobody should care".

by Anonymousreply 14September 4, 2008 7:26 PM

Oh, Cliff

Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if

You really are a Cliff

When fascists keep trying to push you over it

Are they the lemmings?

Or are you Cliff?

Or are you, Cliff?

by Anonymousreply 15September 4, 2008 7:44 PM

I like E.G.'s "Some People", I had the cassette in the late 80s in P-Town, was staying with this gorgeous Portuguese masseur, he came home and caught me dancing on the bar to it! He thought it was hysterical. Check out both songs on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 16September 4, 2008 7:58 PM

E.G.'s is a great stripper tune, it's more erotic than Cliff's. But the melody and lyrics in Cliff's just blow me away.

by Anonymousreply 17September 4, 2008 7:59 PM

Cliff, you're so ter rific.

Cliff, I'm going to be specific....

by Anonymousreply 18September 4, 2008 9:05 PM

Never has the word "companion" been loaded with such meaning.

by Anonymousreply 19September 4, 2008 9:53 PM

"Companion" is not SO bad.

by Anonymousreply 20September 4, 2008 10:15 PM

A priest? Really? I wonder if their going to adopt?

by Anonymousreply 21September 4, 2008 10:28 PM

Hiding in very plain sight. Grew up when being gay was criminalised and/or medicalised. Gore Vidal and Dirk Bogarde lived with their male partners for decades, but never went on record with 'I am gay'.

To his credit CR never went the route of deep bearding, just adolescent public flirtation. He's probably a blend of asexual bisexual, with an obvious emotional bias for men. I'm glad he has a partner who makes him happy.

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2008 8:58 AM

I was just going to mention Dirk Bogarde and his companion of 50 years ... who is just referred to as his manager in his autobiographies.

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2008 9:05 AM

Before he came out, Richard Chamberlain pretended his live-in partner was his "roommate"

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2008 9:13 AM

I have lost respect for Cliff. I used to be a fan but no longer am because if he condones this lifestyle he is not a real Christian. Also not wanting to meet Elvis when he had the chance to because he said Elvis was fat and did not want to meet him for that reason. And I also think he uses people or things for his own use and then when he is no longer interested in a thing or person he turns his back on them or it with no caring for the person's feelings. That does not sound very Christian either to me.And his treatment of Bruce Welch (one of the Shadows) during the making of the Rock and Roll Juvenile album I did not like either. I also no longer watch or go for Richard Chammberlain's movies because he also deceived his fans (female) by not telling the truth so he could play leading man romantic roles in movies to where the women would still like hima nd go see his movies. I think that is very despicable and deceitful.

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2008 3:16 PM

I have lost respect for Cliff. I used to be a fan but no longer am because if he condones this lifestyle he is not a real Christian. Also not wanting to meet Elvis when he had the chance to because he said Elvis was fat and did not want to meet him for that reason. And I also think he uses people or things for his own use and then when he is no longer interested in a thing or person he turns his back on them or it with no caring for the person's feelings. That does not sound very Christian either to me.And his treatment of Bruce Welch (one of the Shadows) during the making of the Rock and Roll Juvenile album I did not like either. I also no longer watch or go for Richard Chammberlain's movies because he also deceived his fans (female) by not telling the truth so he could play leading man romantic roles in movies to where the women would still like hima nd go see his movies. I think that is very despicable and deceitful.

by Anonymousreply 26September 5, 2008 3:16 PM

by Anonymousreply 27September 5, 2008 3:16 PM

I think Lisa is for real!

by Anonymousreply 28September 5, 2008 3:20 PM

The eucharist in the sling can be hot. Luv those 'ligious laddie-ladies. I wonder if they took turns hearing confessions?

by Anonymousreply 29September 5, 2008 3:37 PM

Congrats to him and his partner for coming out. I wish him the best and I think he will be an example.

by Anonymousreply 30September 5, 2008 3:38 PM

Did Cliff have any hits in the USA? I'm familiar with his name, but not his music. I seldom paid attention to who was doing the caterwauling-cha-cha-cha.

by Anonymousreply 31September 5, 2008 3:42 PM

I guess he's going the Barry Manilow route of not talking about his private life.

by Anonymousreply 32September 5, 2008 3:45 PM

R31, no, he never had any U.S. hits

by Anonymousreply 33September 5, 2008 10:34 PM

I thought "Devil Woman" was a big Top Ten US chart hit in the mid-70's. I heard all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 34September 5, 2008 10:45 PM

Devil Woman was a big hit in the US, along with "We Don't Talk Anymore" and "Suddenly." I think there were one or two other smaller hits, but I can't remember the names.

by Anonymousreply 35September 5, 2008 11:23 PM

"Gore Vidal and Dirk Bogarde lived with their male partners for decades, but never went on record with 'I am gay'."

Bitch, please. Vidal wrote a novel in the 19-fucking-40s about a gay love affair, and has always spoken about Howard, may he RIP.

by Anonymousreply 36September 5, 2008 11:40 PM

Actually, Vidal always made a point that he and his "male partner" had never been sexually involved.

by Anonymousreply 37September 6, 2008 12:20 AM

Yes, R37, but he has talked about having sex with guys other than his partner

by Anonymousreply 38September 6, 2008 4:59 AM

"To his credit CR never went the route of deep bearding"

SUE BARKER!

by Anonymousreply 39September 6, 2008 5:10 AM

September 12, 2008

[bold]Cliff: "rumour-mongers don't have any power over me"[/bold]

Pop star Sir Cliff Richard has spoken out after a wave of speculation about his sexuality.

Earlier this week he published his autobiography My Life, My Way, in which he revealed that he has shared his life with a former Roman Catholic priest for the last seven years.

Sir Cliff, 67, is one of the UK's best-known Christians, said he met Father John McElynn in 2001, who shares his home and has become a companion.

Now the singer has hit back at the rumours, and opened up about his fear of living alone.

"I like to think that all the innuendo goes over my head, although I still get annoyed sometimes," he told the Daily Mail.

"It used to worry me a lot because it's just not fair on the other party. OK, I have to put up with it, but they don't.

"We are all flesh and blood, and if I'd got married I would be living with my wife full time. But I haven't and that's why I have chosen another way of getting through my life - and this is the way I'm going to go on.

"I don't have to justify anything, and that way the rumour-mongers don't have any power over me. It's quite a nice feeling."

Sir Cliff began his career in the 1950s and has scored UK number ones in every decade since.

His notoriously loyal fanbase has ensured his popularity well into his sixties - My Life, My Way is expected to be a bestseller.

Yet despite his fame the multi-millionaire needs constant companionship.

"I don't like living alone, so it's nice if someone is there with me," explains Cliff told the Mail.

"I don't like travelling alone, being alone, eating alone, doing anything alone.

"I have never lived on my own and there's always been someone with me, either fellow musicians or friends.

"It would be my idea of hell to end up alone and living in an old people's home. John shares my passion for tennis and is a great, great guy.

"He will always be able to work as a priest whenever he wants, but at the moment his job is to look after my properties abroad."

by Anonymousreply 40September 12, 2008 11:59 PM

But he had a son!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41September 13, 2008 12:45 AM

Suddenly is the only thing I remember. But more for ONJ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42September 13, 2008 7:00 AM

[italic]We are all flesh and blood, and if I'd got married I would be living with my wife full time. But I haven't and that's why I have chosen another way of getting through my life - and this is the way I'm going to go on.[/italic]

Geez.

Cliff, just stop, everyone knows anyway.

by Anonymousreply 43September 13, 2008 2:58 PM

Gore Vidal said the reason he and Howard stayed together for so long was that they stopped having sex with each other.

by Anonymousreply 44February 26, 2009 9:14 PM

Richards traveled for years as the featured musical guest at Billy Graham's crusades in the U.S. Those crusades used to pre-empt prime time on the local stations. Hard to believe now.

by Anonymousreply 45February 26, 2009 9:24 PM

"'I am sick to death of the media's speculation about it. What business is it of anyone else's what any of us are as individuals?"

If your coming forward happy and free, Cliff, saves the life of one gay person considering suicide...

by Anonymousreply 46February 26, 2009 9:26 PM

For the Cliff/Eurovision/Campfest fans:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 26, 2009 9:33 PM

He's as camp as a row of chiffon tents

Nobody cares Cliffy-babe, nobody cares.

by Anonymousreply 48February 26, 2009 10:06 PM

[italic]I have lost respect for Cliff. I used to be a fan but no longer am because if he condones this lifestyle he is not a real Christian. Also not wanting to meet Elvis when he had the chance to because he said Elvis was fat and did not want to meet him for that reason. And I also think he uses people or things for his own use and then when he is no longer interested in a thing or person he turns his back on them or it with no caring for the person's feelings. That does not sound very Christian either to me.And his treatment of Bruce Welch (one of the Shadows) during the making of the Rock and Roll Juvenile album I did not like either. I also no longer watch or go for Richard Chammberlain's movies because he also deceived his fans (female) by not telling the truth so he could play leading man romantic roles in movies to where the women would still like hima nd go see his movies. I think that is very despicable and deceitful.[/italic]

Oh behave yourself, you old minger.

by Anonymousreply 49February 26, 2009 10:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!