Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do any of you older Atlanta guys remember a male performer at drag shows named RC Cola?

A beautiful man with a toned and defined body who usually wore a gold lame posing strap during his performances. He had a part time job as a security guard at Lenox Square. He was so sweet and approachable. I had sex with him once, each of us taking turns topping one another, but he was so skittish about his sexuality. I hope he found true happiness. Any stories from some of you? No links because this was 1979.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 14702/06/2010

That guy now works at Mrs P's and if you really want to get freaked out, Mrs Betty Bowers is the owner.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 112/19/2007

Does the gentleman who struts around town in bicycle shorts still alive?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 212/19/2007

What about Bag Lady Martha, does she still hang out on Ponce de Leon?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 312/19/2007

What about The Lady Baronessa?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 412/19/2007

No, but I remember the Grease Sisters from the seventies. Alvina Grease, Kitty Litter, and Lily White. There were each great in their own way, but Kitty was something special.

I wonder whatever happened to them.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 512/19/2007

The Lady Baronessa passed away. It's nice to see you say her name though, great memories.....

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 612/19/2007

What about camp queens Laverne Edwards, Micky Day, and Julie Garden?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 712/19/2007

[italic]No, but I remember the Grease Sisters from the seventies. Alvina Grease, Kitty Litter, and Lily White. There were each great in their own way, but Kitty was something special.

I wonder whatever happened to them.[/italic]

Don't know about the first two, but Lily White's crazy ass still does shows. "The Queen of All Unnatural Acts" did retire from drag for a few years to take care of her elderly parents in Alabama. She was also gay-bashed pretty badly not long before she took a break from performing.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 812/19/2007

OT: but would love to know WEHt the door man at Cabaret on New Montgomery San Francisco circa 1972. I was 16 and he always let me in with a big wink and a pinch and would absolutely forbid me going home with someone if he knew there was danger.

Ah, when life was so much simpler.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 912/19/2007

ATL bump!

I personally miss Amber Richards, who was killed in a house fire in 1996.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 1012/20/2007

What about Ziggy? She moved from Louisville to Atlanta years ago. Real name Chester?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 1112/20/2007

I am an Atlanta native. Micky Day has been dead for years, but was an old school drag queen in the best sense, back when it meant something- dangling shoulder-dusting earrings, perfect makeup,and incredible outfits (often chinese silk). You never really thought of her as a real woman, but she put so much effort into it you had to give her a little respect! I remember going to Ilusions Monday Night Madnesss where she workded the door. She always let the passel of us in- a bunch of underage gay kids working at Six Flags just dicovering the joys of sex and the city. Amber Richards also performed there. She was a talented and passable girl, but not really a very nice person. She was walked up to my very close (real) girl friend Lori once at Weeekends (best bartentender ever, Bruce Tweety, RIP)and said "Do you know weight watchers has a warrant out for your arrest?" Lily White still performs ocassionally as "the oldest living drag queen in captivity." The stories that one can tell (and will- with a shot or three). Big-dicked black man in the bicycle shorts can still be spotted weekday Am's on Ponce, but walks with a cane now. His white bleached blone counterpart who sold the alternative news on street corners has been long gone, perhaps to that sleazy avenue in the sky. RC Cola was one of the male performers back in the day. The funny thing about those boys was that they all REALLY wanted to be drag queens but had too much male equipment! The girls loved them and backstage was always a hoot- and if your were lucky (?) enough to be at The Cove in the early hours of a Sunday morning, a couple of them had a contest to see who could take the most cummers on the pool table! Remember those vinyl curtains- stained and stinking from years of cigarette smoke, sweat and cum. Kitty is still alive and still performing, despite a falling-out with the owners of her longtime venue, Burkhart's. Atlanta ain't the Drag capital of the planet for nothing- giving to the world RuPaul (the most self-promoting person I ever knew- when he lived in a basement apt on 11th Street), the Lady Bunny, LaHoma, etc... And of course, there is the legendary Mr. Charlie Brown, who has groomed two generations of drag queens in this fair city and is a really nice person who will tell you amazing and incredible stories if you can convince him of your sincerity. Thanks OP, for triggering the memories of my colorful and pretty misspent youth!

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 1212/20/2007

You knew RuPaul before she was RuPaul?

That is so cool. Stories? You seem to indicate not as nice as the persona, which is disappointing but not surprising.

Is it true that Mrs. Betty Bowers owns a bar/restaurant?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 1312/20/2007

From Lady Bunny's blog:

[italic]Does anyone remember those huge 80's triangle-shaped "hot glue special" earrings that Atlanta drag legend Mr. Charlie Brown used to wear? Hot glue and safety pins are a "girls" best friend. Reminds me of another Atlanta drag legend named Amber Richards. Amber was bi, and very real-looking except for "her" ten inch cock. She'd picked up some girl and fucked her until they both passed out. A fire started while they slept and put itself out, but not before melting the hot glue on Amber's closet full of homemade couture. Tragically, though untouched by the flames, the fumes from the hot glue suffocated both girls. And as the legend has it, the police got quite a shock when they rolled Amber over and her massive "clitoris" flopped out. Posthumously, she's lovingly called "Ember" Richards.[/italic]

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 1412/20/2007

You'all don't know how lucky I am to be friends with Blanche DuBois and the many nights I have enjoyed sitting in some dark bar, downing Citron and soda's and being regaled with stories of the "old days" in Atlanta. "Good times and bum times, I've seen them all and my dear, I'm still here!". Here's to you Blache.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 1512/20/2007

Actually, I am mistaken- I confused Kitty Litter (dead) with Kitty LeClaw. Old age is a terrible thing when you can't keep your drag icons straight(ahem). Mrs. P's must exist, considering its infamy, but I have never seen nor heard of it except on Datalounge. Ru wasn't un-nice, just very caught up in himself. He would spend a whole day posting flyers on telephone poles for an unscheduled and unapproved performance. Nearly evey weeknight circa 1984-6 he would be at Weekends (where the Federal Reserve Bank is now) on Peachtree dancing on a box in an amazing outfit. Everyone knew he would be famous one day, because he simply wanted it soooo bad. Around 1986-7 he moved to NYC and the rest is history.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 1612/20/2007

Another longtime entertainer who's still active in the scene is Tina Devore, The Lady Chablis's drag mother and a former member of the Gospel Girls.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 1712/20/2007

Lily White (or Aunt Lil' as known by most of us) is one of the hippest, coolest drag dinosaurs there is. It's true, give her a few shots and she'll tell you some wild stories. Hey Blanche, did Aunt Lil' ever mention that she inspired (a then unknown) Cassandra Petersons (on tour doing 'Mamas Boys') make-up that would later be known as the face of Elvira?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 1812/20/2007

I love a good thread about my new home town!

Is Mrs. P's code for "Aunt Pittypatt's Porch"??

I'm blond, so you have to talk slow and use your hands.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 1912/20/2007

I never went there, but I believe Mrs. P.'s was a bar on Ponce that has been closed for many years.

Anybody remember the Gallus? Housed in an old funeral home, it was a curious combination of an upscale restaurant and a sleazy basement bar where the Cypress Street hustlers used to hang out.

More clubs that closed just before my time but sound like they were a hell of a lot of fun: the Sweet Gum Head, the Locker Room, the Pharr Library, and Illusions/Lavita's.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 2012/20/2007

zak, darlin' we gotta meet-I caught your performance with the chorus last Spring and work right close to your theatre over at Ted's place, but have yet not shook your hand or pecked your pretty blonde cheek. I am so glad you are still loving and "getting" Atlanta- we defend it so often on here but folks like Mrs. Violet Venable tinabina, r11fat and the other dataloungers that call it home know what a multi-layered lady she is. Yes, there is Julia Sugarbaker and Scarlett O'Hara, and Tara but if you scratch the suface a bit or go into the basement or third floor rooms you very well might find that Julia is james and Prissy is blowing Ashley down in the basement.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 2112/20/2007

Love this thread. You guys rock. yes, even you - ZakPussy! Superstar!

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 2212/20/2007

dammit, people, I gotta get some work done, stop bringing back all these memories! Birmingham Belle, The Gallus was indeed a strange place. Unlike most of its kind, the food was actually pretty good and the restaurant was indeed upscale for the neighborhood, and you could get your dick sucked after dinner without leaving the building. Illusions was incredible in the 80's, not just for the drag show which is legendary for a reason, but it was always the best mix of folks-gay,straight, curious, black, white and everything in between. Strangely, as Atlanta grew, this rich and vibrant stew became more bland and homogenized. The Pharr Library remains one of my favorite gay bars of all time- and I've been to plenty all over the world. All those books no one ever opened-lol! BTW, did you ever vist Belle's (after Ms. Watling from GWTW, of course) in B'ham?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 2312/20/2007

[italic]BTW, did you ever vist Belle's (after Ms. Watling from GWTW, of course) in B'ham?[/italic]

Alas, Belle Watling's Parlor and Tea Room closed while I was in high school, so I never got to go. (My first gay friend from high school, who was quite adept at getting into clubs despite being underaged, used to go there all the time.) I did get to go to the Gizmo Lounge (a.k.a. "The Jizz-Blo") on 22nd Street a few times before it closed, though.

For anyone who's interested, there's a great article [link http://atlanta.creativeloafing.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A13740]here[/link] about Diamond Lil, a still-kicking Atlanta drag pioneer who sings live.

A few more drag names to throw out there�holler if you remember them ...

Dina Jacobs

Roski Fernandez

Heather Fontaine

Yettiva Antoinette

Crystal Lambega

Chena Black

Taisha Wallis

Charlene Rose

Lisa King

Rachel Wells

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 2412/20/2007

is backstreet still across from the ho-jo? is the rumor true that's where the backstreet boys got their name? i love atl but haven't been in a few years.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 2512/20/2007

B'ham Belle- I actually had a friend (dead, alas) who was roomies with Dina Jacobs! I heard Taisha Wallis turned straight, married a woman and moved to Hawaii. Some of the others ring a bell(e), but I am an old man now! Shame you never made it to Belle's- it was a great bar- esp the portrait of Miss Watling! What was the name of that bar in the old train in B'ham?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 2612/20/2007

I'm also wondering what Mrs. P's is?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 2712/20/2007

Backstreet is torn down and a highrise condo is being built. I hope it ain't haunted- or maybe it would be cool if it were- unexplained throbbing disco and the scent of poppers and fake smoke at 5 am! The HOJO (formerly the Fountainbleu) is also long gone.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 2812/20/2007

[italic]What was the name of that bar in the old train in B'ham?[/italic]

Hey Blanche,

I think you're referring to The Station. It's still around, but I believe it's a straight club now.

Ever been to The Quest? It's another old dive that's still going strong. A lot of Atlanta queens come over to do shows from time to time.

Finally, are you familiar with a B'ham queen named Libertee Belle? She's a lovable but scary old gal who ran for city council a few years ago. If I'm not mistaken, she's an old friend of Lily White.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 2912/20/2007

[italic]The HOJO (formerly the Fountainbleu) is also long gone.[/italic]

Was that the whore-tel that was also known as the Copacabana?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 3012/20/2007

Yep, bb

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 3112/20/2007

Thank you all. This is what makes DL worth visiting.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 3212/20/2007

All these blasts from the past!! I was one of those preppie gay young 'uns who hung out at the Pharr Library. But when I had straight friends wanting to see the "gay scene" I'd take them to Illusions where they had both drag queens and male performers. One story about RuPaul: I was at a party and met RuPaul who at the time was sporting a mohawk and more punk than drag queen. He plastered the city's telephone poles with signs saying, "RuPaul and Wee Wee Pole." I told him he'd never be in the mainstream entertainment business with a name like Wee Wee Pole and he responded that he wasn't interested in being in the mainstream entertainment business. Right...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 3312/20/2007

Hotlanta bump

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 3412/20/2007

Was that the whore-tel that was also known as the Copacabana?

No, it was the Atlanta Cabana Hotel. Long gone.

Ms P's was the leather bar. Also long gone.

I remember when Lisa King appeared on a long ago local WSB show (I think) called Today in Atlanta. The host was horrified that Lisa was so matter of fact about gay life in the ATL.

The Pharr Rd. Library was legendary. Two for one drinks on Tuesday and Thursdays. One of the bartenders was this muscled Hawaiian looking guy.

My first experience going to a gay bar was the Sweet Gum Head. Lavita Allen was the host, with Rachel Wells, Daisy Dalton, a Vickie Lawrence lookalike, and many others. Lavita's was named for Lavita Allen, who was the first person I knew who died from AIDS. God, I am old!

RC Cola also worked part-time as a security guard at Lenox Square during the late 70s-early 80s. He was so beautiful.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 3512/21/2007

R20 mentioned the long ago fave, The Sweet Gum Head which was home to the incomparable Miss Rachel Wells.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 3612/21/2007

R35/36: Aah, The Sweet Gum Head. Remember the best bartender in Atlanta -- Pace?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 3712/21/2007

Is there anything left in Atlanta? They keep tearing down buildings on a daily basis. They find any excuse to close down a gay bar, so they can tear down the building and put a high rise in its place.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 3812/21/2007

OP, you don't have any old pictures of RC lying around that you could scan, I guess ... :(

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 3912/21/2007

Blanche!

You simply MUST come to see our new play in 2008, the world premiere of "Octopus" by a local playwright, Steve Yockey.

Mitchell Anderson and a bevy of hot local actors are in it. Starts off with a nude orgy of 4 men.

We must meet. Call me at the theatre some time, and I can reserve you some tickets.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 4012/21/2007

Wow, this thread brings back so many memories. Illusions was my very first gay bar, in 1984. I was 16 and totally sheltered. I had never seen a drag queen and Micky Day had me terrified, just because. We couldn't get into Backstreets back then. Celebrated my high school graduation at the Pharr Library with 2 for 1 Long Island Iced Teas. Sportspage, Tallulahs, The Cove, it was all fun back then. Ah memories.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 4112/21/2007

Another good Diamond Lil interview [link http://www.queermusicheritage.us/mar2006s.html]here[/link] (includes an excerpt from Jayne County's autobiography)

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 4212/21/2007

Anyone been back to the Silver Grill since it reopened? They've brought back the old staff, including Peggy, the waitress with the black beehive.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 4312/21/2007

Wow.....in 1982, I was 18, lived on West Peachtree and never had a better time in my life ! I was a waiter at The Prince George Inn (a gay owned and gay customer based resturant) which was in the parking lot between The Armory and Backstreet. I would get offf work at 10:00 pm and get home at 9:00am everyday...sleep six hours and do it all over again. There was also TV Dinners, Plum Butch, Plum Nelly, Answers and many other bars on the strip then as well as an arcade )can't remember the name) with booths and locking doors. You rented the "video game - $10.00 for half an hour- and you and anyone else could use the booth......some of the hotttest sex I ever had was on a Miss Pac-Man machine !

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 4412/26/2007

Ah, so many memory file cabinets that hadn't been open for years are getting opened.

Some gay bars opened and closed in the same location. A bar on Cheshire Bridge across the street from the Collanade (a restaurant that deserves it's own thread) was closed when I came out in 1977. A few months later it opened as The Magic Garden, also called the Tragic Gardenia. It was all ferns and lattice walls. It then closed and reopened as Numbers, themed after the then popular magazine of the same name. All the bars back then were very discriminating against black people. Who the hell has 4 picture IDs? It's now a straight strip club.

Bulldogs, which has been around since the 80s is now an Old School/Hip Hop gay bar.

And let's not forget Phyllis Killer, probably the oldest legend in the gay Drag community. Billy was one of Joan Crawford's fans (unlike Christina.) They regularly corresponded, and he had pics of them together. He also had some of her lipstick stained cigarette butts. During the late 60s, when Atlanta Police actively targeted gay anything, drag shows moved around. Billy had a drag revue called "Billy's Beautiful Boys." One of the boys was a guy who worked with my mother in the 60s and 70s. He was called Miss Audrey because he looked a lot like Audrey Meadows.

Ah, the Locker Room/Hollywood Hot. A bath house on the left, a drag bar on the right, with a sliding patio door separating them. Bathing people would come in in towels to get drinks and enjoy the show. I saw both Liberace and Paul Lynde enjoying the show while they were in town performing at other venues.

The first gay bar I ever went to was the Sweet Gum Head. I was so petrified that when we entered, someone was going to grab me, pull my pants down and start chowing down, right in front of everyone. LOL, I was so clueless at the time. But when it got really crowded, you would be groped, which I later loved.

Alas, I have no pics of RC Cola in that gold lame g-string, his ample uncut cock bouncing about to the beat of his routine. He wasn't pretty, he was handsome with an edge. I hope he is still with us...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 4512/26/2007

In midtown during the 60s there was a theater called the Tenth Street Art Theater. They showed what were then risque movies. All of Russ Meyer's movies only played there. Years later, it became the drag bar Illusions.

Does anyone remember The Academy? It was a private club and your membership card was a dog tag with your name on it. It was very short-lived in 1978 or so.

Like Dustin Hoffman once said, I'm glad to have lived in the age after antibiotics were perfected and before HIV. You didn't have to worry about sex killing you.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 4612/26/2007

Op, your stories are fascinating- I would love to meet you and pick your brain, drinks on me. Are you still in Atlanta? Hell, we could know each other. Andd zak, I will definitely come see Octupus!

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 4712/26/2007

For any of you who made the journey west to Birmingham in the day do you remember these queens:

JoAnn Delight

Jessica Southern

Melissa Starr

Zee Jones

Marlena Preston

Edwina Petty

Brings back fond memories of my youth at Belle's and After Dark and the early days of my coming out...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 4801/13/2008

B'ham bump

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 4901/13/2008

Yes Blanche, I am still here. I like to say I'm one of the 46 gay Atlanta natives who still live here. These days, I guess we would have to meet at The New Order. I don't go out much anymore, but I do try to get a David magazine to keep up with what is happening around town.

My barber for 20 something years had the barbershop on the Peachtree Street side of the building Backstreet was in. He was Greek, spoke 7 languages, and escaped from 2 Nazi concentration camps during WWII. But that's another story for another time.

Backstreet was always an interesting place. When it first opened in (I think) 1977, it was a private club. For years they were able to get around Atlanta's mandatory closing times. It was the place to go after all the other bars closed. It also had multi-levels. If you got tired of the thumpa-thumpa dance floor, you could go upstairs were it was less noisy. That was were Charlie Brown's Cabaret held court.

Back in the 80s, there was a strip of old storefronts on Peachtree between 11th and 10th street. As mentioned earlier, one of the hot clubs was Weekends. In that same strip was The Bar on Peachtree. Charlie Brown used to tend bar there completely out of drag. Scary! It was a great place to meet friends after work.

Oh another RuPaul story. At one point in 1984, Ru was living in a condemned building on the corner of 14th and Juniper. Next door, this old queen named Hershel Harrington owned a studio that leased and sold theatrical lighting. He let Ru run an extension cord from his shop over to the building so Ru could run his hair-dryer. Ru has always been a fierce self promoter. He got me to make copies of one of his tracts. On the cover was Ru sitting on a toilet. It was titled, "Ru Paul's Guide to Beauty, Sex and Nigger Love." I still have a copy of it somewhere.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 5001/13/2008

Oh one other thing. Someone mentioned the bicycle short guy and the blond selling alternative newspapers. This is about the blond guy. I first remember seeing him around 1970. Total hippie, but stunning. Long blond hair parted in the middle, skin tight wife beater and hip-hugger pants. His basket was enormous. It literally stretched halfway down his thigh. He also hustled. Alas, all those years of drugs sex and rock n roll took their toll. He was reduced to letting guys look in his pants for money, since the equipment didn't work anymore.

And the alternative newspaper was called The Great Speckled Bird. God, I am old!

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 5101/13/2008

True Story- One of my roomates worked in The Locker Room back in the eighties and walked me and another female through it one night to get to what was then called "Sensations" to get Robbie T. to let in Echo and the Bunnymen because it was one of the few places on Sunday night to get a drink back then. Not only was it their first time in a gay bar, but after a bit of early apprehension, they had such a great time that when we left around five am, Ian was still on the dance floor surrounded by guys. Not one of the guys in the baths seemed to find it unusual to see two girls heading through there, and it being the eighties, the sight of naked men wandering around together didn't phase me either. How conservative we have all become.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 5201/13/2008

Anyone remember Miss Roby Landers, formerly of Chicago's Chesterfield. Am I that old.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 5301/13/2008

I am so glad this thread keeps getting bumped. I have resisted attending any of the Atlanta DL's planned get togethers. I do wish I had attended the Mommie Dearest screening in Piedmont park a couple of years ago. I'm sure it was a lot of fun.

Midtown was "owned" by the gays during the 70s. Straight Atlanta had totally abandoned it. In a brave move in 1980, developers built Colony Square, complete with a Fairmont Hotel. Marlene Detrich appeared in their Crowne Room at the top of the hotel, along with many great headliners. The next year, AT&T built their southern headquarters across the street. After that, slowly, straight people started moving back, and the beginning of the end started.

I bought a converted 50s 2 br, 1 bath condo in 1986 for $35k. Thirteen years later, a developer came through and bought me out for $225k and tore the place down and built a high-rise. I bought a house outright in Tucker and bid Midtown goodbye. Part of me misses it, but the bigger part of me left because what I moved to Midtown for was gone. As you age, your values change.

I still wonder whet RC Cola. I hope he is still alive and happy with the choices he made...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 5401/13/2008

OP...

Zak here, yet again.

You must come by and see a show at Actor's Express.

We're located on the Westside. Our next show is going to be amazing. Written by a local guy.

I'd love to hear more about your stories.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 5501/13/2008

Zak, I would love to see your show. I have friends who live in Howell Station. It's amazing how that area has had such a rebirth.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 5601/14/2008

And another bump...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 5701/14/2008

This is a great thread. We should have another get together. I will behave (mostly) Violet, you may not mix delicious drinks, Blanche if you're old you don't look it.

Thank you all for your stories. Backstreet was pretty one of a kind and I was sad to see it go. I still have my membership cards somewhere and they're probably covered in coke residue and regrets. It was such a fun time though. There is still great drag to be found. One of the better times I've had was at La Chapparelle. It was great to see all the Mexican gangster looking guys oohing and ahhing over the ladies dancing. It was missing the bitchy humor, but the dancing was amazing.

I hope all the ATLiens are happy and snuggly during this cold snap.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 5801/14/2008

Aww, I love these threads. I want to get the OP and RC Cola together again.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 5901/14/2008

[italic]For any of you who made the journey west to Birmingham in the day do you remember these queens:

JoAnn Delight

Jessica Southern

Melissa Starr

Zee Jones

Marlena Preston

Edwina Petty

Brings back fond memories of my youth at Belle's and After Dark and the early days of my coming out...[/italic]

JoAnn Delite and Mallessa Starr both passed away at least a decade ago. Jessie S. retired from drag (as far as I know) and burns hair somewhere in town. Zee still performs at The Phoenix in Crestwood. Marlena has been in and out of jail/prison over the years; the last I saw of her, about four or five years ago, she was working at a deli on Highland Avenue. Edwina Petty has been a huge crackhead for years"�not even sure if she's still with us ... but that's the rundown. :)

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 6001/14/2008

I'm suprised that none of the long time Atlanta crowd has mentioned the restaurant "The Pleasant Peasant", which, if I recall correctly, was one of the first publicly gay owned, gay marketed, "quality" restaurants in the area.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 6101/14/2008

The Peasant chain was notorious for hiring hot gay boys as waitrons. My first bf was one. OP, I will meet you anywhere you want just to hear you spin tales of the golden days. Atlanta has always been a city too mindful of her future to care much about the past. I, too am a native and no Spring chicken. I used to LOVE the Bar On Paechtree and that great back patio. I remenber going there on Sunday afternoons. tinabina, I will gladly organize another event providing OP promises to show and regale us and if B'ham Belle drives over. I hope you are well and I promise I will not force you to drink Mrs. Venable potent yet delicious concoctions! zak, can't wait to meet you tmw.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 6201/14/2008

Blanche, I promise I will attend. As far as regaling you with my stories, I've spilled a lot here during the last few weeks. And Zak, provide more info on this play you are in. When does your production premier? And how do we contact outside of DL?

Several people here have mentioned Rachel Wells. In the late 70s, she was the superstar of drag queens. One of the few who looked equally as good out of drag as in. I remember being at Numbers on Cheshire Bridge around 1980. This really nice looking guy starting chatting me up, and we went back to his place. It was in that neighborhood over by the Varsity Jr on LaVista. We went in and he took me upstairs to his room, which was a converted attic. He didn't turn the lights on. Anyway, the next morning after daylight I woke up, and all the walls were covered in pics, ribbons and trophies. I looked around and then I looked at my trick, and it was John Greenwell, Rachel Wells'out of drag personna. We had a laugh and I never saw him again.

Another drag legend back then at the Sweet Gum Head was Satan Deville. To this day, I can't hear Crystal Gayle's Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue without thinking about Satan. She must of done that song a thousand times. She was married to a drag king (whose name totally escapes me) and they had a child. Sometimes they would come out dressed as Sonny and Cher and bring the kid out as Chastity. Satan had a brain aneurysm and dropped dead. Diamond Lil wrote this loopy, rambling obit in the ETC magazine. They apparently were close friends.

I've never authenticated because it seems like you get targeted by the meanest of the mean here. I know of Datalounge because of David E. He used to hold court over at Salon.com's TableTalk before it went pay. This was around the turn of the (last) century.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 6301/14/2008

Obviously r63 is me the OP.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 6401/14/2008

And one more bump for good measure...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 6501/14/2008

Birmingham Belle, seems like I was playing in B'ham at the same time you were...how can we share stories without clogging up the DL...I would love to hear your stories as well as share a few of my own.

I started going to Belle's and After Dark in 1982 and 1983.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 6601/14/2008

Belle's bump ... feels like I'm in love ...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 6701/14/2008

There was a great gay club in the early 1970s called the Bayou Landing in Atlanta..was on Peachtree or Spring Street...close to Peabody U I think..anybody remember it?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 6801/14/2008

I have to bump this up for Zak, Blanche and the other ATL guys. Sorry!

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 6901/15/2008

And again. Where are you guys?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 7001/15/2008

Bueller? Bueller?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 7101/15/2008

And just one more before I sign off

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 7201/15/2008

I've enjoyed this thread so much because I've met people who want to meet me. That has never happended before. I hope all this works out.

And to the person who said they hoped the OP got to get with RC Cola again, I don't expect that. With the times the way they were, he is probably married with grown kids. If he does venture out, it is probably like Larry Craig. I would never want to embarass him in ANY way. When we were out, it was a different time. I just hope he remembers that time fondly. Zak, I still want to hear from you.

Most of the participants of this thread must have lives outside DL. I await your responses!

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 7301/15/2008

and another bump

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 7401/15/2008

and still another bump

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 7501/15/2008

OP, I saw Satyn DeVille perform a few times but never knew about the wife and kid"�interesting. Was she a straight guy offstage who happened to enjoy entertaining [italic]en femme,[/italic] or were she and her wife just two friends who decided to get married and have a child together? (Incidentally, I was under the impression that Satyn was a trannie"�I specifically remember seeing her at Charlie Brown's Cabaret back in 1991, and Taisha Wallis was teasing her about being on hormones.)

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 7601/16/2008

r76, I finished my drag bar phase a couple of years after I came out in the 70s, so I wouldn't know about her later years. By then, I was happily partnered and rarely enjoyed late night gay clubs. I fondly remember my misspent youth.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 7701/16/2008

Down to the 17th page. I guess everyone lost interest...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 7801/18/2008

One more bump from the past.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 7901/18/2008

And one final bump for Friday. Too early for drinkie-poos though.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 8001/18/2008

Speak for yourself, R80.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 8101/18/2008

Hello, all. The premiere of Octopus is at Actor's express next weekend. Zak works for the theatre and is as intersting outside dl as he is here. I am thinking perhaps of organizing a brunch in early Feb for the ATlanta DL'ers. Suggestions are welcomed and please show interst. I personally 3 others her, and i am sure we will all have a great time. And, r80, (op?) it is NEVER too early for drinkiepoos!

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 8201/18/2008

Blanche, my birthday is in February. I'm going to Barbados Feb. 13-18th. I would love to see you all!

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 8301/18/2008

I was one of the Armorettes back in the 80's, and it is such a blast to walk down memory lane with these stories. Back in my Armorette days we literally traveled the country and performed in San Diego, Dallas, Chicago, Kansas City, Birmingham...and maybe some places I've forgotten. The Armorettes are still performing today with a different style. Thelma (Greg Troia) believed that we should strictly be "camp" and always insisted that we have facial hair so that no part of us would take ourselves seriously as "drag queens". Our weekly shows raised thousands of dollars for AIDS causes back when raising money for AIDS was almost non-existent. It seems like a lifetime ago from my Armorette days (I guess it actually was). Most of our original group have passed away, but there or 3 or 4 of us still here in Atlanta. The Easter and Labor Day Drag Races, Falcon Fever, and Sunday night shows were popular Atlanta events and we made our mark, in a positive way, for Gay Atlanta.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 8401/18/2008

OP, I'm so jealous of your Barbados trip, Big Denise that sounds awesome, Blanche can you and Violet please be our Cruise Directors! I really hate to be like this but I can only do Sundays. It's my only day off. Does anyone remember the Pinenut and Garlic Pasta at Pleasant Peasant? That was great. (listen to my fat ass reminisce about food)

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 8501/18/2008

tinabina, this is my first real vacation this century! My late SO and I used to go at least once a year in the winter. It's usually in the low 80s during the day and low 70s at night. Quite a change from the ATL this time of year.

I'm up early watching Flip Spiceland try to whip us into a frenzy about our upcoming "blizzard." If it's anything like in the past, this will be much ado about nothing.

I hope you all have a safe and wonderful weekend.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 8601/19/2008

Big Denise, I fondly remember Sunday afternoon drag races during the Armorettes heyday. We would jump from the Armory to Backstreet, then up to Bulldogs for their Sunday afternoon BBQs.

Remember the Sunday tea dances at the disco Limelight? It was a mixed crowd with a decidedly gay flavor. The dance floor was plexiglass and at first there was a tank under it. At first they had a shark in there, but the poor shark stayed so freaked out with all the dancers, the ASPCA prevailed and it was removed.

If I'm not mistaken, before it was the Slimelight, it was the Harlequin Dinner Theater. I had a friend who was a policeman, and during his off hours he did security. Rock Hudson was in town to do some play at the Harlequin, and my friend was part of the security team. Each night, my friend and his partner would go to the Hyatt Regency to escort Rock to the theater. My friend would guard the room while his partner escorted Rock to the show.

You might ask why my friend guarded Rock's room when he wasn't even there. See, Rock brought his boytoy with him to Atlanta. Rock told my friend to get his boytoy anything he wanted, but to make sure he never left the room. God forbid anyone find out Rock liked to smoke the pole.

When he told me this story around 1980, I was completely floored. Rock Hudson gay!?! No way! But, as Paul Harvey says, now you know the rest of the story...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 8701/19/2008

Somewhat off topic - but I can't post new threads and this has to do with Atlanta and the 80's and Drag.

Anybody know of Mark Phillips and Ben Staten? Mark was a handsome hairdresser with a smokin' body. He had a big schnoz and could do a fantastic Barbra. Ben was a hairdresser too, I think. He was heavyset and very very catty, but hilarious. Both were from the Snellville/Lithonia area. Also, anything on the incrediblly gorgeous David Parker, also from Snellville? I'm talking very late 70's early 80's. Lost touch with them around '84 when I left the state. Are any of them still with us?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 8801/19/2008

Good Morning OP! I don't know what I'm doing up this early either, but like a child I still get all excited over snow days. I've loved all these stories, although I did not move to the ATL until 1994. I'm also excited that we have found a former Armourette! They were still going at the Armory when I moved here and I thought I had never seen anything so hilarious. Those shows were quite the cause for many wasted Monday mornings at work.

Hi Tinabina! Blanche and I were just out last night quaffing a few at The Oscars and contemplating a DL/ATL brunch, so a Sunday would work perfectly. Thanks to everyone for all the good stories and Big Denise, hope you will share a few more about the Armourettes.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 8901/19/2008

I know a couple of names that I remember fondly:

Skagnolia the Great (Anyone know what happened there?) She was a performer at the Club Three and played great softball. I can still remember a performance of "The Boulevard of Broken Dreams."

Lavita Allen was another great, great story. A professor at Emory before the true talents were discovered.

Yes, I remember Bayou Landing. Cher would dance with Greg Alman there because everyone left her alone.

Here I am at home early on a Saturday morningh and this thread caught my eye. I was flooded by memories. You see, Atlanta is prepping for 3 inches of snow this morning and this being Atlanta, we still try to get ready even for 3 inches.

I have a great Mickey Day story. Mickey was passionate about three things, in no particular order - young men, liquor, and fried chicken, He came home from a show one night with all three in tow. Having consumed heavily of all three, he passed out and his guest left. His roomate discovered him in his bed with chicken bones beside him and screeched with dismay, "My God, you ate him!"

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 9001/19/2008

Atlanta used to have some amazing moments. I remember running into Waylon Flowers at the Club Three and Burt Reynolds at the Sweet Gum Head. Lavita Allen carting a fan around to complete an effect during "They Call the Wind Maria." Roski Fernandez attacking a patron who annoyed her when performing a Filipino dance number. Daisy Dalton!

Oh, well. Back to my preparations. There are three inches on the way.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 9101/19/2008

Great story r90 about "The Frantic and Gay, Mickey Day."

I used to go to the Pharr Road Library a lot back in the day. One of the regular characters was this guy who at the time was probably around 60. He went by the name Granny. His seat was right by the service bar, where guys would walk up to get a drink and then go elsewhere in the club. As guys walked up, he would put his hand on their arm, look down at their crotch, and then in his most pitiful voice would say, "Granny's been SO sick." I don't know if that line got him much action. He was a funny guy.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 9201/19/2008

There was a thread a while back in which someone alleged that MLK's son Dexter King is gay and used to be a regular at the Pharr Library.

Also, does anybody remember a Danish fag hag named Bente who was a fixture of the ATL gay club scene in the '80s? (See link for a cool article about her.)

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 9301/19/2008

Rachel Wells is in that Drag Pageant that was hosted by Ruth Buzzi and Lyle Waggoner. Many of the old time "drag greats" are in the same pageant.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 9401/19/2008

I knew RC from 1984 to about 1989. He was an education major at UGA when I was in the drama program. He was teaching for a while in Atlanta, I talked to him and ran into him several times (I was working at the Lenox CPK when he was a security guard there), and the last time I saw him, he was not in good shape...then I left town, and lost contact with him. I won't go into details, but I think it was substance related. He was a very sweet man, had a beutiful southern drawl, but had a lot of issues, not, I think with his sexuality, but with drugs and alchohol....

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 9501/19/2008

I never saw Dexter King out. I used to work with a woman who "dated" him for a short time. She always said he was a total gentleman with her and never tried to put the moves on her. She suspected he might be gay.

And totally off topic, the AJC has a story today about MLKIII just announcing he has been secretly married for 2 years and his wife is expecting a baby. I always found it odd that none of Martin and Coretta's offspring ever married.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 9601/19/2008

Current Armorettes cast member Mary Edith Pitts does "Hollaback Girl"

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 9701/19/2008

OMG! That passes for drag? I know everything evolves, but this is a case of devolution. You'd never see Rachel Wells doing that. Daisy Dalton, maybe...

Oh, and thanks for the info r95, sad as it seems. I hope what you said about his sexuality is true. When we had our thing, he still had a girlfriend, and talked about her ad nauseum.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 9801/19/2008

OP, sorry I didn't check back in sooner. Life working for a small arts organization can sap your energy and all of your free time. I've also returned to going to the gym...which has been amazing but leaves me with even less time to goof off online.

As Blanche said, I work for one of the ATL's theatrical institutions, Actor's Express Theatre the ex post facto "gay theatre" of Atlanta--although we are much more then just a gay theatre... we're really Atlanta's home for cutting edge, great drama and acting.

I do not act there, I am part of our theatre's management. (Someday I may return to my people out there in the dark...but I digress.)

I do hope the Altanta DL'ers will come out to see "Octopus." It's an amazing show written by one of the Express' past interns, who's an Atlanta born playwright and student now getting his MFA at NYU.

The play is about two gay couples who meet for a night of sex and passion--one couple older and one younger, and the play looks at the after affects of that evening. It's passionate, scary, mythically, sad and uplifting. Throw in a mysterious delivery boy and a sea monster, and mix!

I would love to do brunch, drinks after the show or give DL people a tour of our theatre. Contact me at work if you can come. A week from tomorrow -- Jan 27 is our gala opening which is looking like it will sell out. Lots of seats available for the run. Shoot me an email at work if you can make it.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 9901/19/2008

Thank you Zak. Will you be there during the run of the play? It sounds like an interesting story. And I'm up for brunch, drinks, whatever.

And thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread. I don't start many threads, but I love this place. There are some mean-ass people here, but there are also some pretty funny people too.

All you Atlanta people be careful out there tonight. The roads are icy. I find it ironic so many people have trouble driving in the ice and snow, since the majority of the people living here now came from up north.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 10001/19/2008

Great thread, all. Can't believe it took me this long to dive in. I've been in Atlanta for almost 3 years now, but rarely hit the bars. Interesting to read about the glorious past.

I'd definitely be up for brunch. Weekends are best for me for get togethers as work can be a grind. I also want to check out Octopus -- I've been to a couple of Actors' Express shows and they've been very good.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 10101/19/2008

In 1977 or 1978, Jack Wrangler made an appearance at the Sweet Gum Head. Many of the young gays don't know him, but at the time he was a major porn star. He was incredibly masculine, blond, with a muscled body and a handsome face. He had an act, where he talked about his fantasies, all the while rubbing his more than ample crotch. He wore the uniform of the day, which was boots, tight 501s, and a light blue denim shirt.

During his act, many of the gay uncultured rednecks began shouting at him to take off his clothes. He got a little flustered and shouted back, which silenced the hecklers. At the end, he did pull his pants down, but he had trouble getting it up. He turned his back to us and simulated an orgasm. It was, if you'll forgive the expression, an anticlamactic event.

Another night, Grace Jones appeared. Part of her act involved a 6 foot ladder. The only problem was, the Sweet Gum's stage was very small, and was probably no more than 8 feet tall. Grace was a tall girl, and if she stood on the second step, her head hit the ceiling. She was not happy doing her act.

I had a friend who was a DJ over at Backstreet, which is where Grace and her entourage went after her show. He was invited to an afterparty at her hotel room. Part of her entourage was a pair of Italian twins. My friend said at one point, Grace pulled her top down, and the twins pulled their Italian sausages out and ejaculated on her chest. It sounded all very Caligula to me, even after all these years.

I was never fully convinced that Grace Jones wasn't really a man...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 10201/20/2008

Wayland Flowers also had a female black puppet. Her favorite song was "Looking for a City" by Vestal Goodman. If you ever watch the Gaither Family Homecoming, you can hear Vestal sing this song before she died earlier this century. Ironically, Vestal outlived Wayland. I suspect Vestal wasn't the bottom Wayland more than likely was...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 10301/20/2008

My company is allowing us to do community service for MLK day. I will be down at Centenniel Olympic Park Tomorrow. It's going to be cold as can be. They gave us a t-shirt to wear. It will be above my thermal underwear, and sweater, with stocking cap and gloves. I hope they let us go early...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 10401/20/2008

Zak, if I stop by King Plow after the community service, will you be there?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 10501/20/2008

Well, I don't know what time you'll be done...

I am working tomorrow afternoon until evening.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 10601/20/2008

We will be finished early afternoon. I suspect because it is going to be so cold, we will be finished by 2:pm.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 10701/20/2008

I am so looking forward to meeting you Zak. The bitches here at DL have trashed you so often, I feel like you are like Joan Crawford before Christina wrote her book...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 10801/20/2008

I'm also looking forward to brunch with Blanche, Tinabina, r11fat, and all the other DL denizens from the ATL! I'm sure we have so much in common.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 10901/20/2008

one more thing. my original post said this encounter with rc happened in 1979. It happened in 1977

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 11001/20/2008

Thanks R108...I prefer to think of myself as more like Mrs. Haines as portrayed by the Queen of MGM, Miss Norma Shearer in "The Women."

Stephen...No, Mary and I will be fine...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 11101/20/2008

Ah Norma Shearer. That is such a story that the gays of today don't really know. Joan hated her with good reason. As she lamented, how could she get the great parts when Norma was fucking Irving T? Joan's saving grace was her pics were making the money so Norma and Greta could do their vanity parts. Some people remember them, but Joan was unforgettable almost to the end.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 11201/22/2008

This is turning into the Queen's Queen thread!

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 11301/22/2008

I'm sorry Heath died. Brokeback Mountain was one of the most heartbreaking movies I ever saw. They were 10 years before my time, and it was SO a different time especially where they were. I'm so glad I came of age a few years after Stonewall in a big city. my heart broke for those two...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 11401/22/2008

Wait. Heath was in Atlanta in the seventies?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 11501/22/2008

Alrighty, Atlantans this is what the Datalounge is at its best. I am throwing out the date of Sunday Feb 17th as a possibility for a brunch mixer. President's Day is that Monday, so maybe a few of you will have the next day off. I am asking for feedback and suggestions as to times and venues. Perhaps afternoon cocktails upstairs at Blake's- or maybe a big ole booth at Vickery's or commandeering the front lounge at Apres' Diem. And remember, "Everyday is a holiday with Mickey Day." Also, no one has yet mentioned the enormously talented Bertha Butts- the room would shake as she brought home "And I'm Tellin' You..." by falling to the stage in a quivering, writhing ball of hefty agony.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 11601/23/2008

Oh, r93, Bente is still around and still partying with the boys. Last time we actually had a conversation, I reminded her of an evening in a hot tub with 6 or 7 gay men circa 1985. she laughed and said something like, "Honey, I've been in hot tubs with 3 generations of fags in this city."

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 11701/23/2008

Blanche and OP:

Do y'all remember a queen from the late '80s named Christina D'Angelo? Gorgeous, talented, made good showings in the major pageants (Miss Gay USA, Miss Continental). After she retired from drag, she got SRS, moved to New York, and became a theatre writer (she used to have a regular column at TalkinBroadway.com called "Christina's World").

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 11801/23/2008

I like the sound of the 17th. Let's keep this in mind for a brunch day.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 11901/23/2008

lol r13. Queen's Queen indeed! This may be arrogant, but I feel those of us "of a certain age" are the keepers of the flame. Or flames, if you will. We came of age in the hedonistic 70s, when sex didn't kill you. We also lived through the horror of the AIDS epidemic, bowed, but defiantly unbroken. The few of us left are your history. But I digress...

As far as the get together is concerned, I will be on my vacation in Barbados from Feb 13 - 18. I will be with you in spirit.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 12001/23/2008

Well, OP, we'll do it another time. It wouldn't be the same without you since you are after all the one who originated this terrific thread and brought both the old school and new Atlantans to it. It is our history and our future.

I wholeheartedly agree with you last post- I got just a wee glimpse and taste of the hedonism and pride born of difference and defiance from my gay mentors before folks started dropping dead- all those years of dancing in the dark seemed terribly sexy to me. When their cohorts began dropping dead, and they took to the streets with righteous anger, my generation was inspired. Through this the community in its darkest hour experienced a rebirth. I marched, I screamed, I cried, I made unlikely friends and I became a whole man. The boys now have never known a world without AIDS and it is just another disease to many. We have all expressed the fondest memories of folks with the balls to be different in this thread. This has always been the greatest strength and the greatest legacy of our community. Maybe the following weekend or an early March date would work for the get-together- suggestions welcomed...

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 12101/24/2008

Well Blanche, r113 set off my little tirade. I would be up for the next weekend, or in March. Whatever, I will be there. Maybe we could all get together and see Zak's play at Actor's Express. I'm not good at planning, but I'm great at attending.

I would post an email address, but I fear it would be like unleashing the Cracken from Clash of the Titans. DL is rife with OPD sufferers...

Warmest regards to all you Hotlantans, past and present.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 12201/24/2008

Wow, down to page 21 in just 2 days.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 12301/26/2008

And another bump!

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 12401/26/2008

Bump for all the missing ATL guys

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 12501/26/2008

And another bump because I have no life!

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 12601/26/2008

Bump for all those over 30, fat and friendless guys living in their mom's basement!

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 12701/26/2008

Blanche? Zak? Tinabina? Bueller? Bueller?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 12801/26/2008

Que?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 12901/26/2008

r127, my mom has been dead for years, you ignorant slut. We Atlantans have lives and don't get to the DL that often. When we do, we have much to say. We are fierce, as well as omnicient. Now go and take your mom's garbage out or she will cancel your DSL connection, since you can't pay rent.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 13001/27/2008

Sure baby, sure. Pharr Library was hot back in the day, but Backstreet was never anything but a narcotics emporium.

Gay mogul Henri Jova was involved with Colony Square. The de-gaying started later, when the shitheads moved in, culminating in the 1996 plot to degay midtown entirely under cover of providing guest rooms to Olympic crowds. Fortunately it failed, when the urban hetero jeunesse dor�e from New York failed to find midtown enticing. Now the same crowd of gay bashers is off working on other 'hoods.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 13101/27/2008

ATTENTION ATLANTA DL'ers:

THE GATHERING IS-

SUNDAY AFTERNOON, MARCH 9 @4pm UPSTAIRS AT BLAKES ON THE PARK

rsvp or regret here or make alternative suggestions, separate thread to follow at a later date, please come out for fun, conversation, cocktails and maybe a surprise or three

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 13201/30/2008

Count me in!!

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 13301/31/2008

Damn.

I don't know if I am available. I know my other half has something up his sleeve for that weekend, cause he asked me to take of March 7. My birthday is the prior weekend.

I'll attend if I am in town.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 13402/14/2008

I should be able to make it on March 9th. Yay. I went to see Octopus last night at Actor's Express. It was pretty good. A bit different than I expected, but the last 15 minutes were quite powerful. Who is the hot blond lead actor? He was very good.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 13502/14/2008

I'll be there Blanche! Thanks for getting it together! It's the day after our Cat Adoption Event so if any of you want a cat, you know where to go.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 13602/14/2008

I'll be there!

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 13702/14/2008

Happy Valentines Day to all the past, present and future Atlantans. Oh, and you can wish me a happy birthday. I'm down here celebrating it in Barbados. The weather is like Atlanta in April. Temps are 77� to 80�, day and night, and the humidity is around 80%. The most important thing is, IT IS NOT COLD.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 13802/14/2008

bumping for Atlanta Gathering appetizer course.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 13902/19/2008

Looks like Atlanta has a GTG in the works. Looking forward to a full report after the event. TIA

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 14002/19/2008

Tell us all about r11 from another cunt.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 14102/19/2008

complimentary bump.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 14202/28/2008

Bumping this thread to share a YouTube video I found�a photo montage of various Atlanta characters from the late '70s and early '80s. RC Cola is shown about 4 minutes in.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 14307/25/2008

ATL bump

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 14407/26/2008

Do any of you bitches remember Peggy from The Silver Grill? I loved her. Poor thing dealing with all these hungover queens coming down off of whatever drug they were on straight from The Cove. I always use to eat there with Bob Bridges (Backstreet, Weekends, Cove DJ).

Ahhhhhhh, those were the days and eating at The Majestic with Lady bunny and RuPaul.

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 14507/26/2008

Happily, Peggy's still there (the Silver Grill reopened late last year).

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 14607/30/2008

Jeeeeeeez ya'll.......I've gone back in time.

Most of these comments seem to be from Atlanta's Golden age. Birmingham Belle's post took my old ass back 30 years, but you left out Tiffany Arieagas. WOW! I knew Taisha personally and now Mark Jones owns a flower shop in Marietta. Amber Richards was killed in a fire in her home in Smyrna, but my friends, that was no accident - but instead the ultimate bash.

As for R.C. Cola - damn. Long ago and far away. R.C., Lily and Charlie come to mind.

Back then there was Backstreet, The Armory, The Lockeroom with Hollywood Hots next door along the entire Cheshire strip where the "girls" played at The Sweetgum Head. I was only a child then, but knew them all.

No one has mentioned Hot Chocolate or Natalie Greer unless I missed the post.

Atlanta was wonderfully trashy then, with The Prince George Inn (the escargo was great) and the 10th Street Hustler Zone.

God I'm glad I was a good boy, or I'd also be pushing up daisies with the rest of my old crowd.

Anyone mention Diamond Lil???? 'Memba her? Visited with friend at her home once in 1979, was a like a museum tour....... Atlanta's Golden age is OVER. It's all so family friendly now. A big city all cleaned up. No more faeries.

I've often thought about opening up another place like the Sweet Gum, or The Answer or Hollywood Hots. I think it would go over pretty big, but mostly as a tourist attraction. Anyone got any feedback?

by Cackle Cackle's son.reply 14702/06/2010
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!