Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Violet eyes and gray eyes

These are the rarest eye colors.

Does anyone famous other than Liz Taylor have violet eyes? And does anyone famous have gray eyes?

by Anonymousreply 55December 9, 2007 12:44 AM

First sentence: Not true.

Second sentence: Not true.

Third sentence: No.

by Anonymousreply 1December 5, 2007 6:15 PM

Violet and gray colored eyes are just a variant of blue eyes ya git! Gray isn't even that uncommon. Get out more. Retard.

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2007 6:16 PM

Except for red, violet is indeed the rarest standard eye color, according to wikipedia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 5, 2007 6:19 PM

Grey eyes are not at all uncommon in the UK, though always arresting.

by Anonymousreply 4December 5, 2007 6:19 PM

Ashlee Simpson has beautiful grey eyes, which does rather test the old superstition that people with gray eyes are all intelligent.

by Anonymousreply 5December 5, 2007 6:21 PM

Yeah...cause Wikipedia is SUCH a trustworthy source (rolls eyes and takes a L-O-N-G drag on cigarette).

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2007 6:29 PM

And yet it's a far more reliable source than r1 and r2.

by Anonymousreply 7December 5, 2007 6:31 PM

Greta Garbo had lilac-colored eyes according to Leo Lerman's memoirs "The Grand Surprise."

by Anonymousreply 8December 5, 2007 6:34 PM

Mia Farrow has gray eyes.

Clive Owen & Paul Rudd -- are their eyes gray or green?

Wikipedia does mention that violet eyes are just dark blue eyes that appear violet because of some kind of pigment. That doesn't make 'violet' eyes any less rare. (Stop being so desperate to be cunty.)

by Anonymousreply 9December 5, 2007 6:45 PM

I have boring brown eyes and brunette hair. I've always wanted auburn hair and violet eyes.

by Anonymousreply 10December 5, 2007 6:53 PM

Liz doesn't have "violet" eyes. Blue eyes is what she has.

Grey eyes are really a blue offshoot.

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2007 6:53 PM

Streisand has the most beautiful shade of blue eyes.

When she wears violet they turn violet (see "Funny Girl").

I just googled her eyes and came up with this Vogue shoot by Scavullo. 1975.

She's never looked better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2007 6:58 PM

I do not mean to start a flame war, but why do variations in eye color only occur in caucasians and not people of other races?

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2007 7:04 PM

Blue eyes change with the color you're wearing. So do hazel.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2007 7:06 PM

R13, African-Americans have major variants in eyes. Just talking about full-blooded AAs, they run the gamut from green to almost black, with lots of hazels, chocolates, and auburns in the mix. I suppose they all look alike to you, though.

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2007 7:07 PM

Even then, R12, she thought she had a "good side"!!!

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2007 7:10 PM

r13 FYI Caucasoids cover everyone from the lightest Icelanders to the darkest Sri Lankans. Darker eyes are associated with more melanin, which is the same pigment which produces darker skin tones. So it's obvious that populations with more melanin will have darker eyes as well as darker skin.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2007 7:10 PM

R14 is correct. My eyes range from hazel through gray to green, blue, (the latter two most commonly) and even violet. Sometimes it's what I'm wearing, sometimes it's my mood...just like a '70's mood ring.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2007 7:13 PM

I have grey eyes - I can wear any color andy eyes reflect it.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2007 7:18 PM

Eyes appear to change color for some people depending on what they're wearing or what lighting they're in, but it would be scientifically impossible for them to change with mood.

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2007 8:27 PM

There are such things as violet eyes, and Elizabeth Taylor has them. But violet can be seen as a shade of blue.

by Anonymousreply 21December 5, 2007 8:28 PM

I do not mean to start a flame war, but why do variations in eye color only occur in caucasians and not people of other races?

by: Anonymous reply 13

Smokey Robinson has green eyes and I'm pretty sure Vanessa Williams has blue eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2007 8:35 PM

My family (on both sides) have eyes that vary from green to light blue to violet to grey and to a yeallowish color.

by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2007 8:39 PM

I have grey eyes, I've been told many times they are pretty. Now if they only worked right, my eye sight is terrible and I can not go out with out sunglasses. Hazy days are the worst.

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2007 8:41 PM

That puff-piece/ interview on Barbra r12 linked to is a fucking camp classic!

"HAIR. The gentleness is what comes through first�her hair, once brown and worn straight, is now golden blond and ripples to her shoulders in soft, pre-Raphaelite waves. Not everyone could get away with it�it takes a lot of style, a lot of self-certainty."

"SKIN. At one time or another, almost every woman who goes to the movies has envied Barbra's skin."

"NAILS. Her long, tapering nails, which used to take four hours to manicure, were cut to normal length for her next film, A Star is Born, in which she plays the guitar. As an experiment, she first cut only the nails on her right hand, "I found I could garden and cook. I could even touch someone's eyes ... I could touch my own eyes!" Her left hand, she kept for jewels and "for when I wanted to be unapproachable ... I don't like being that way, though I sometimes have to be.""

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2007 8:49 PM

With articles like that, is it any wonder Barbra Streisand is today as fucked-up as she is?

And is it any wonder her fans are as fucked up as they are?

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2007 8:50 PM

Actually, according to the same Wikipedia link, green eyes are the rarest color.

Not that I'm saying this very fluffy article should be considered the be-all and end-all of the eye color debate; only that if you're going to cite Wikipedia at least fucking read what it says:

[quote]Green eyes are the rarest eye color; only 1-2% of human population possesses this trait.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2007 8:53 PM

But that's directly contradicted later in the article, r27 (speaking of "if you're going to cite Wikipedia at least fucking read what it says"):

[italic] Red' eyes are also found in an extremely small (<0.001%) percentage of the world's population. This is believed to be a result of either large quantities of the normally scarce red areas in the eye, or a small leakage of blood into the iris; however the number of people on record as having red eyes is believed to not exceed 20 [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2007 8:58 PM

That's because it's counting violet eyes as blue eyes, which is common.

But how many people have blue eyes that appear violet (God forbid we call them 'violet') other than Taylor?

by Anonymousreply 29December 5, 2007 9:02 PM

You got pretty well slapped down for being so gratuitously cunty, r27.

by Anonymousreply 30December 5, 2007 9:04 PM

I have grey eyes and dark brown hair.

by Anonymousreply 31December 5, 2007 9:07 PM

r25: I know, isn't it fantabulous?

I wonder who wrote it -- it's got Diana Vreeland all over it.

by Anonymousreply 32December 5, 2007 9:09 PM

"Her left hand, she kept for jewels and "for when I wanted to be unapproachable ... I don't like being that way, though I sometimes have to be.""

Does that mean she pretends to poke out people's eyes with her left-hand nails when they get to close to her? or does she make slicing gestures with them towards their genitalia?

by Anonymousreply 33December 5, 2007 9:11 PM

Yes, it is directly contradicted, R28, that was kind of my point. Don't put stock in that particularly shitty Wikipedia entry. Even though anybody who understands basic math can see that 0.001% (red) is less than 1-2% (green), the article still claims that green is the least common color, not violet as R3 claimed.

I'm guessing R30 is R3.

by Anonymousreply 34December 5, 2007 9:23 PM

Ooh you've got green eyes, ooh you've got blue eyes, ooh you've got greeeeeeeey eyes...

by Anonymousreply 35December 5, 2007 9:25 PM

My eyes are blue, my dress is green, my parasol is aubergine...

by Anonymousreply 36December 5, 2007 9:29 PM

I remember those commercials too, r36--except I remember them with Leslie Uggams. "My eyes are blue, my dress a vivid lavender..."

by Anonymousreply 37December 5, 2007 9:33 PM

R35, did you just hear that on IFC last night?

by Anonymousreply 38December 5, 2007 9:44 PM

Dominic Monaghan has fabulous grey eyes!

by Anonymousreply 39December 5, 2007 9:45 PM

I never knew of anyone having red eyes, have you?

I heard that drunks get that affliction but I have yet to see anyone who was born with them.

by Anonymousreply 40December 5, 2007 9:49 PM

My lover has yellow eyes.

by Anonymousreply 41December 5, 2007 10:03 PM

Is your lover a tiger, or is that what you call him when you're giving him some ass?

by Anonymousreply 42December 5, 2007 10:12 PM

Aqualad has purple eyes, which is why he was left on a reef to die when Aquaman found him.

by Anonymousreply 43December 5, 2007 10:17 PM

This.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 5, 2007 10:18 PM

This

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 5, 2007 10:19 PM

Light-skinned natural blonde/redhead here.

When I was a little kid, my eyes were blue. As I got older and started puberty, they began turning more and more green. Now, as an adult, they are green with a yellow ring around the pupil.

I know lots of babies are born with blue eyes that then turn brown, but I've never heard of someone's eyes getting yellower and yellower!

by Anonymousreply 46December 5, 2007 10:28 PM

R38, no, I have that song on my iPod and it's currently in heavy rotation.

It seemed to fit the discussion.

by Anonymousreply 47December 5, 2007 10:28 PM

"Smokey Robinson has green eyes and I'm pretty sure Vanessa Williams has blue eyes."

That's because they have caucasian ancestry.

by Anonymousreply 48December 5, 2007 10:34 PM

"r13 FYI Caucasoids cover everyone from the lightest Icelanders to the darkest Sri Lankans."

Which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 49December 5, 2007 11:04 PM

I have eyes that can sometimes look green, others times more of a blue-green

by Anonymousreply 50December 6, 2007 2:08 AM

"Yes, it is directly contradicted, R28, that was kind of my point."

No it wasn't at all "your point": what complete bullshit. Your point was that the rarest color of eyes was green, and you were contradicted.

by Anonymousreply 51December 6, 2007 2:16 AM

> "r13 FYI Caucasoids cover everyone from the lightest Icelanders to the darkest Sri Lankans."

>> Which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Agreed. "Caucasian" means "white", plain and simple.

by Anonymousreply 52December 9, 2007 12:25 AM

R36, it was Samantha Eggar.

by Anonymousreply 53December 9, 2007 12:41 AM

Blacks with non-brown eyes have mixed ancestry, right?

I don't have differently colored eyes like David Bowie, but one is much lighter green than the other, so different they obviously don't match. It looks freaky and I don't like it. I'm not going to wear colored contacts to cover it up because I don't need glasses or contacts, but it was a source of ridicule in school and curiosity now that I'm an adult.

I think Meg Foster wins for most unusual eye color. They're either light grey or Alaskan Malamute blue.

by Anonymousreply 54December 9, 2007 12:44 AM

Don't ask me why, but people often discuss my eye color with me. There seems to be a debate as to what color they are. They change from light to dark and from blue to grey to green depending on what I'm wearing. I consider them grey but if you look closely enough they are, in fact, all three colors at once. I think most people's eyes are like this but with more subtle shade variations.

by Anonymousreply 55December 9, 2007 12:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!