Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The iconic Twin Towers through the years

Since the public opening on April 4, 1973, New York's iconic Twin Towers remained a symbol of the city up until the tragic September 11 attacks.

Take a look back at the iconic structures throughout the years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2023 12:30 PM

They should've just rebuilt it, with extra reinforcements. Make it look exactly the same. Show them their efforts were futile.

by Anonymousreply 1June 2, 2023 12:34 AM

I completely agree R1.

I watched the second tower sink out of sight from my rooftop in the west 20s and immediately felt they should be rebuilt - as did Mayor Koch. When people thought that would have been in bad taste, I replied that if they had taken out the Empire State or Chrysler building we would all want them rebuilt exactly as they were.

The Trade Center had become an iconic part of the skyline, and NYC has never looked the same. The new tower is totally unremarkable.

by Anonymousreply 2June 2, 2023 12:48 AM

Ok, obviously the skyline has never looked the same, what I mean is it still doesn't feel like New York without them.

by Anonymousreply 3June 2, 2023 12:53 AM

Damn! Will never forget that day. Or that week.

by Anonymousreply 4June 2, 2023 12:59 AM

Agree with R1 & R2.

by Anonymousreply 5June 2, 2023 1:01 AM

How wonderfully appropriate that the tape of Bill Clinton speaking in Australia on September 10, 2001, “just hours before the attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon,” should have emerged from the sink of time at the same moment as reports of the death of Theodore Van Kirk, navigator on the B-29, “Enola Gay,” which dropped the first atomic bomb on Japan sixty-nine years ago yesterday. Here’s Bill, according to Fred Barbash of The Washington Post:

“And I’m just saying, you know, if I were Osama bin Laden … He’s a very smart guy. I spent a lot of time thinking about him. And I nearly got him once. . . “I nearly got him. And I could have killed him, but I would have had to destroy a little town called Kandahar in Afghanistan and kill 300 innocent women and children, and then I would have been no better than him. And so I didn’t do it.”

But then for Bill, as for so many of the generation of narcissists to which he (and I) belong, experience of the world hardly exists except as it relates to to himself and his ambitions. Over the years I have once or twice made mention of an incident reported by David Maraniss in his biography of the former president in which, while at Oxford in 1968, he went up to Stratford to see a production of King Lear. It must have been the one with Eric Porter (remember him as Soames from The Forsyte Saga?) in the title role, Patrick Stewart as Cornwall and Ben Kingsley as Oswald. Our Bill found the play deeply moving, reported his Oxford contemporary Darryl Gless — because it “prompted Bill to talk about his eagerness to go back to Arkansas” and involve himself in politics. The rest, as they say, is history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6June 2, 2023 1:02 AM

r1, define "them".

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2023 3:48 AM

Were you also volunteering to work on the 100th floor of one of them, OP? Tough gig.

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2023 12:23 PM

The most impressive thing about the WTC towers was there were two of them. They should have built back three.

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2023 12:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!