Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

My parents and parents-in-law pronounce it “hamburg”

As in “we weren’t that hungry so Mom and I stopped at McDonalds and had a Happy Meal hamburg”.

by Anonymousreply 37June 3, 2023 5:58 PM

Are they from Pittsburgh?

by Anonymousreply 1June 1, 2023 11:19 PM

Mang, dey is sho stoopit!

by Anonymousreply 2June 1, 2023 11:19 PM

Are they also the kind of people who say "whip cream" and "mash potatoes"?

by Anonymousreply 3June 1, 2023 11:29 PM

Upstate PA, r1.

Is it a PA thing?

by Anonymousreply 4June 1, 2023 11:31 PM

Gumband

It needs washed.

by Anonymousreply 5June 1, 2023 11:33 PM

[quote] It needs warshed.

FIFY

by Anonymousreply 6June 1, 2023 11:35 PM

Oh my god, that was a New England term many years ago.

I HATED that word. it sounds disgusting.

I'm a vegetarian now.

by Anonymousreply 7June 2, 2023 12:04 AM

My husband's family says hamburgs or burgs. They are from Grand Rapids MI. I'm from Minnesota and had never heard that until I met him.

by Anonymousreply 8June 2, 2023 12:10 AM

I think it's an age thing. I've heard it from older people where I grew up in PA and in OH, but also in the Midwest.

by Anonymousreply 9June 2, 2023 12:12 AM

R7: my MA mother uses it as to mean raw ground (minced) beef, but never for a cooked burger itself.

by Anonymousreply 10June 2, 2023 12:15 AM

I grew up with "Tose new Hamburg steaks what like on das Kommißbrot und dee Zwiebel und Essiggurke" and plenty of salt, pepper and Dusseldorf mustard, but the OP's family one generation up sounds a little rough.

by Anonymousreply 11June 2, 2023 12:32 AM

Do they have tardy kinesha?

by Anonymousreply 12June 2, 2023 12:35 AM

Sometimes old people make up their own slang. They’re allowed to do that.

by Anonymousreply 13June 2, 2023 12:37 AM

“Getting a hamburg, then onto murd Moth!”

“Good, you’ll need your strength to kill that old bitch!”

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2023 12:41 AM

When we moved from KY to Grand Rapids, I heard "hamburg" for the first time. We had also never heard the term "sleep in."

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2023 12:43 AM

In olden days, they were referred to as a “Hamburg Sandwich,” which eventually was shortened to “hamburger.” If you look at menus from the first half of the 20th century, you sometimes see it this way.

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2023 1:06 AM

You’re making me hungry, I’m jumping in my grocery getter

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2023 1:08 AM

R17, I learned the term “grocery getter” from a Brady Bunch thread a week or two ago.

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2023 1:13 AM

R11 Schwabisch?

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2023 1:53 AM

My grandfather called it that too.

"Run down to the butcher and get a pound of hamburg!"

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2023 2:32 AM

They don't, OP.

by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2023 2:33 AM

When I lived in Western New York, it was occasionally shortened to "hamburg" or "cheeseburg" by both people and restaurants.

Fun fact: Hamburg is a suburb of Buffalo (located in Western New York, for those of you not up on your New York state geography), and claims to be the origination point OF the hamburger.

by Anonymousreply 22June 2, 2023 3:35 AM

[quote]R7 Oh my god, that was a New England term many years ago.

My Boston grandmother used to use the term “hamburg” for ground sirloin in general. Like, an ingredient.

by Anonymousreply 23June 2, 2023 3:38 AM

R15: “sleep in” was novel?

by Anonymousreply 24June 2, 2023 3:39 AM

It was to us Kentuckians!

by Anonymousreply 25June 2, 2023 11:59 AM

“Sleep in” is a phrase I didn’t hear until I was an adult. I grew up in New Jersey and am an eldergay. We would say “sleep late.”

I’ve always wondered where it came from. Of course I slept in. I didn’t sleep out. What does “in” have to do with how long I slept?

by Anonymousreply 26June 2, 2023 12:53 PM

'Cheebarger, cheebarger, cheebarger, chip, chip, Coke, Coke...'

by Anonymousreply 27June 2, 2023 1:06 PM

R23, my parents would do the same. Refer to ground beef as ‘hamburg’. But the actual burgers were called burgers.

My father’s mother would call the whole hamburger a ‘hamburg’, though. Growing up around this, I assumed it was normal. It took me a while to realize the actual ground beef was called… ground beef.

And yes, I’m from “upstate PA” myself. Couple hours north of Pittsburgh, with some Great Lakes inflection, too.

by Anonymousreply 28June 2, 2023 1:12 PM

We Kentuckians also got confused by the words "soda" and "pop" regarding a beverage. Don't remember which was which, but there was a difference in how it was used.

by Anonymousreply 29June 2, 2023 2:07 PM

Epic Fail, r27!

"Pepsi, Pepsi, Pepsi!"

by Anonymousreply 30June 2, 2023 2:51 PM

I'm a NJ raised geezer, and recognize "sleep in".

A funny NJ story that someone in a NYC writing class used the term "chop meat" for hamburger. I asked where he was from (originally), getting a response of a New Jersey town near where I'm from.

by Anonymousreply 31June 3, 2023 12:19 AM

So, OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32June 3, 2023 12:26 AM

OMG!,!!!! My dearly departed father always said a Hamburg! It drove me crazy!!! I grew up in California so that was crazy. BUT he grew up in Erie , PA so that makes sense. Awww - I haven’t thought about that in years!!!

by Anonymousreply 33June 3, 2023 12:34 AM

[quote]R30: Epic Fail, [R27]! "Pepsi, Pepsi, Pepsi!"

I checked, and you're right.

How odd. Sometime during the four-and-a-half decades since that SNL episode aired, my memory got 'Pepsi' switched for 'Coke.' Probably from listening to friends repeating the sketch incorrectly (and I know exactly who, too, but I can't bitch him out for it, 'cuz he died some seventeen years ago).

by Anonymousreply 34June 3, 2023 3:35 PM

Did Joan Crawford guest star on SNL?

by Anonymousreply 35June 3, 2023 3:54 PM

Incidentally! My vagina has been described as looking and smelling like HAMBURG by my victims for YEARS!

I never knew what they meant!

Thanks, friends!

by Anonymousreply 36June 3, 2023 5:32 PM

[quote]My parents and parents-in-law pronounce it “hamburg”

They're idiots.

by Anonymousreply 37June 3, 2023 5:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!