Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Moral Quandary re: Taxi Drivers in Distress

I know DL is not the place to turn to for solid moral advice, but I am interested in hearing other perspectives on this.

I live with my partner in a one bedroom apartment in one of New York's outer boroughs. One of the things I love most about my neighborhood is its proximity to Manhattan and an airport, despite how removed from the city I feel when I go home at the end of the day.

I travel by plane 2-3 times a year, making a point to fly in and out of the local airport because it never takes me any longer than 20 minutes from door to door in the worst traffic. I call an Uber from home to get me to the airport, but coming back I've found its easier to take a taxi from the line of cabs that are already there rather than calling an Uber, waiting around, and directing the driver through the confusing labyrinth of terminals and traffic.

Last week, I flew home after several days in Houston for work. I waited on line at the airport for a cab, and when it was my turn I told the the driver my address. He immediately started arguing with his superior: he didn't want to drive me because I lived too close to the airport and it wasn't worth his while to lose his place in line.

The argument didn't last long. His superior shut him down. The driver threw my suitcase in the trunk and we drove to my apartment with him sighing and shaking his head for the entire ride. (Sidenote: I can't remember the last time I didn't have to use my phone to give my taxi driver directions. They get upset if they even have to ask.)

I was home in less than ten minutes. The ride cost more than $30.00. I gave the guy a $20.00 tip for which he seemed very grateful. He gently took my suitcase out of the trunk, as a thank you.

A version of this interaction took place with little variation the past several times I've taken a taxi home from the airport.

I guess I'm looking for, if not validation, then perspective here. Am I taking advantage of a service that is not meant for me? Is it immoral to continue taking taxis when I can expect the driver to be distressed that I'm keeping him from making money that he obviously needs? Is the onus on him for making me uncomfortable, or on me for allowing myself to feel guilty and wanting a better overall experience? Help me, DL!!

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2023 8:07 PM

I’m amazed you feel even a little guilty about this. A waitress has no idea when I sit down if I am going to order a Wagyu steak or a side salad with water. It just comes with the job. He just should roll with it.

I would NOT have tipped $20 on a $30 fare in general, much less after seeing him throw a hissy fit.

by Anonymousreply 1May 31, 2023 7:31 PM

I can’t believe you gave such a big tip to someone who was less than pleasant. Don’t be a pussy.

by Anonymousreply 2May 31, 2023 7:36 PM

Agreed, R1. His job is "taxi driver", not diva.

by Anonymousreply 3May 31, 2023 7:37 PM

Fuck those hacks. Not our problem that their job has been given away to nicer people driving nicer cars with modern technology.

Once cars go fully AV, they'll all be out of work, and will have to find some other way to eke out a living as fresh immigrants with few marketable skills in that city.

by Anonymousreply 4May 31, 2023 7:44 PM

OP you are way too nice. He would have gotten no tip from me after slamming my luggage and then bitching the entire drive there. In fact I would have told him to be quiet. Do you live walking distance from the airport? No. He would have learned his lesson with me in that backseat.

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2023 7:54 PM

Why not get one of those nice strong handsome african teen boys to pedal you home on a Citibike?

by Anonymousreply 6May 31, 2023 8:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!