Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

He Quit Singing Because of Body Shaming. Now He’s Making a Comeback.

The tenor Limmie Pulliam, who made his debut at Carnegie Hall on Friday, hopes to break barriers for larger artists.

As a rising young tenor in the 1990s, Limmie Pulliam dreamed of a career that would take him to the world’s top stages. But Pulliam, who has struggled with excessive weight for much of his life, quit singing in his early 20s because of concerns about body shaming in the music industry, finding work instead as a debt collector and a security guard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2023 9:50 PM

body shaming or questioning if small, old, venues could support his weight?

by Anonymousreply 1January 24, 2023 8:32 AM

There were a lot of fatties on the opera pops circuit but truth be known, many of the opera festivals were in isolated locations with ancient buildings... most of the fatties were isolated to the promo night in the city.

by Anonymousreply 2January 24, 2023 8:34 AM

Did Lizzo inspire him?

by Anonymousreply 3January 24, 2023 8:41 AM

Pavarotti was a great big fat person and he never gave up!

by Anonymousreply 4January 24, 2023 8:45 AM

It’s posts like [R2] that make life miserable for others. The use of the f word @ [R2] is the equivalent of using the N word or the other F word.

The replies thus far in this thread make me embarrassed to be part of this online community.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2023 8:47 AM

r5

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2023 8:55 AM

It’s not over till the fat laddie sings.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2023 8:58 AM

I often wonder what people of this size must eat for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2023 9:01 AM

Finally, there's a place for fat people in opera.

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2023 9:05 AM

"Her idea of a good time is to go downtown and burn out all the escalators"...

by Anonymousreply 10January 24, 2023 9:08 AM

[quote]The replies thus far in this thread make me embarrassed to be part of this online community.

The replies thus far in this thread make me PROUD to be part of this online community.

by Anonymousreply 11January 24, 2023 9:42 AM

“I feel better about myself when I make juvenile jabs at others’ weight. Hasn’t made me any more attractive, though.”

by Anonymousreply 12January 24, 2023 9:48 AM

"She stepped on a dog's tail and now we call him Beaver".

by Anonymousreply 13January 24, 2023 1:32 PM

I’m here for the fat jokes.

by Anonymousreply 14January 24, 2023 1:34 PM

"She's already picked out her cemetery site - Wyoming".

by Anonymousreply 15January 24, 2023 1:38 PM

Fat is in no way comparable to the n-word. Even if you think people should use another term out of politeness, it's just BS to pretend that they are on the same level.

by Anonymousreply 16January 24, 2023 1:39 PM

“If you get in an elevator with her, by God you better be goin’ down.”

by Anonymousreply 17January 24, 2023 1:43 PM

"She was born on the 8th, 9th and 10th of June".

by Anonymousreply 18January 24, 2023 1:45 PM

Makes Sam Smith look like Twiggy.

by Anonymousreply 19January 24, 2023 1:46 PM

"Once a month they shove her through the Holland Tunnel to clean it".

by Anonymousreply 20January 24, 2023 1:49 PM

I don't buy it. He could have given concerts, or made sacred music his focus to begin with. It's really hard to imagine him singing (I don't know what fach he sings or what range) Tamino or Figaro or whatever. You are playing a role and while opera audiences are being generous when it comes to credibility, you have to be stellar to make people willing to forget about your private person when you are at his weight. It's not about you on stage but about a role you are bringing to life. Is he any good? (I have no headphones at the moment.) Oh and Pavarotti wasn't always fat. Never a looker but not fat when he began.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 24, 2023 1:51 PM

R8 by dinner, you mean food consumption at a specific time? I don’t think he has much regard for quaint semantics applied to discrete meals.

Not shading him, just considering caloric intake and waking hours.

by Anonymousreply 22January 24, 2023 2:12 PM

I don't get r13's joke. Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 23January 24, 2023 2:14 PM

For R23:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 24, 2023 2:18 PM

He would've found work in opera. Lots of fat people in opera. He just let the mean comments get to him. That's not excusing the mean comments.

by Anonymousreply 25January 24, 2023 2:37 PM

Thanks, r24!

by Anonymousreply 26January 24, 2023 2:42 PM

I thought this would be about Sam Smith until I saw the picture.

by Anonymousreply 27January 24, 2023 2:46 PM

In terms of opera performance, and beyond the 'once in a generation' sort of voice that Pavarotti and Caballe had, it's more mobility than fatness that's the issue. Back in the 70s in the UK I saw Rita Hunter several times - she was a big girl, but mobile and light on her feet and one could be carried along by the music and her performance. In the 90s Jane Eaglen, however, was actually uncomfortable to watch - it was as though she could barely stand, let alone walk or emote.

by Anonymousreply 28January 24, 2023 4:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 24, 2023 4:13 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 24, 2023 4:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 24, 2023 4:17 PM

Or sing for that matter R28. Eaglen had a career strictly because she made everyone believe she was a dramatic soprano despite the fact she was a lyric who barely could be heard above the orchestra. She was also fucking nuts.

by Anonymousreply 32January 24, 2023 4:21 PM

The high note is a mess R30. Flat and severely pressed with an overly fast vibrato because he doesn’t know how to release. The rest of the voice is not Italianate and while it sounds like there’s some heft and color, the technique isn’t really there.

by Anonymousreply 33January 24, 2023 4:25 PM

It’s hard to sing when your lungs wheeze like a bellows as you move around the stage.

by Anonymousreply 34January 24, 2023 7:00 PM

My hubby, who sings opera all the time, said the high note is flat.

Which is what R33 said...

So, I guess the guy can't sing that well anyway.

by Anonymousreply 35January 24, 2023 7:40 PM

Being that fat is shameful, and shame is an important societal tool. Think how much of a burden someone that size is on society, how much more they consume, how many more healthcare workers it takes to attend to them when they inevitably end up in the hospital and how other patients are neglected when it takes six people to turn them, bath them, etc. Being that fat is shameful, and he should be ashamed and lose weight, a lot of it.

by Anonymousreply 36January 24, 2023 9:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!