Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do companies act like their employees don’t care about the paycheck?

My company now and every other one I’ve ever worked for act like the employees come to work because they BELIEVE in what the company does. It’s not to earn a living or pay the mortgage but because the employee unfailingly believes in the core values and what the company stands for. The paycheck is purely coincidental.

I have sat through many quarterly, year end, and employee town hall meetings. There have been many times where an employee has been called on and asked why they come to work every day. They answer honestly and say for the paycheck. Well you would think they committed blasphemy because they didn’t parrot the company mission statement.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2023 4:14 PM

It's obviously a psychological tactic. I hate it too. Not allowed to tell the truth about that you're there for the money = can't negotiate and pressured into accepting lower wages for more work than otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 1January 23, 2023 3:16 AM

The company's goal is to do whatever is in the best interest of their bottom line. They have to pacify the worker bees and try to keep up their morale without paying them any more than they have to.

This isn't complicated. Welcome to your first day in society!

by Anonymousreply 2January 23, 2023 3:26 AM

OP-R2 what are your jobs?

by Anonymousreply 3January 23, 2023 3:43 AM

Companies should be required to provide a company roster complete with salaries.

All hell would break loose.

by Anonymousreply 4January 23, 2023 3:47 AM

R3 Mechanical engineer

by Anonymousreply 5January 23, 2023 3:58 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 6January 23, 2023 1:56 PM

I don't fault companies for playing this game. It's the brownnosing rank-and-file that parrot this tripe that get me. Bootlickers.

by Anonymousreply 7January 23, 2023 2:07 PM

I hate it too. But I also hate town hall meetings. I wish when I'm asked in an interview why I want to work for a company I could say because I'm not independently wealthy and I need the money. I'm not even sure what the point of the question is since we all know why we're there. To see how well I can lie under pressure? SMH

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2023 4:14 PM

My favorite part is when you ask for a raise you’re characterized as money grubbing and that you don’t care about your work only your wallet. I’ve come to accept this as projection on the corporations part. They’re obsessed with their bottom line and the almighty dollar so that must mean the peon employee who wants a little extra to make ends meet must be obsessed too.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2023 4:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!