Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Colin Farrell gives an incandescent performance in “The Banshees of Inisherin”

I was moved by his beautiful performance.

Actually, the entire film is beautifully shot. So many beautiful shots, the scenery is exquisite, the cinematography top tier, the script and screenplay are amazing, and the acting from everyone is lovely! Kerry Condon gives such a beautiful supporting performance as Farrell’s sister, I would love to see her take home an Oscar for it (although I think Angela Bassett is getting it).

Barry Keoghan was absolutely lovely, and funny yet heartbreaking. His characters fate is sad, especially because you don’t know if he fell in or what happened.

I have watched the film twice now, I loved it so much. What a beautiful film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361February 21, 2023 7:07 AM

I agree with your assessment of Farrell, but please avoid spoilers. The film is best enjoyed discovering its depths and surprises all on one’s own.

by Anonymousreply 1December 18, 2022 1:42 AM

The sister and the dim wit friend steal the film. Still don't get what anyone thinks Farrell or even the fat guy with the fingers do anything of note. There was no real arc and he just seemed like an innocent. I liked the character but there was no real deft. The sister and the half wit actually move in character. Gleeson and Farrell don't

by Anonymousreply 2December 18, 2022 1:43 AM

I didn’t post spoilers.

by Anonymousreply 3December 18, 2022 1:43 AM

Honestly…this was a very depressing movie! Not as comedic as the trailer would have you think…

Also kinda annoyed that we never got a real explanation of what the issue was. Existential pain, yes, but why was his anger focused on Colin’s character? While it doesn’t need to be spelled out, we should be able to understand the point the writer was making, no?

by Anonymousreply 4December 18, 2022 1:44 AM

R2 needs big personalities to appreciate. Farrell was absolutely lovely. He was playing someone who is very dim, albeit kind and honest with a good heart. But dumb.

by Anonymousreply 5December 18, 2022 1:44 AM

Everything R4 said. I just finished watching and agree. We never really find out why.

by Anonymousreply 6December 18, 2022 1:46 AM

R4 it’s a dark comedy that was promoted as a dark comedy. Not light and fluffy humor.

by Anonymousreply 7December 18, 2022 1:47 AM

Isn’t it because Colm finds Podmaic to be very dim and not on his level? He clearly looks down on Podmaic and seems to feel he is less than him because he’s a musician and has goals to make music while Podmaic is just there with his sister and goats.

by Anonymousreply 8December 18, 2022 1:48 AM

It’s a metaphor for war.

by Anonymousreply 9December 18, 2022 1:49 AM

Yes, I get it. But at the end of the film he hasn't changed much. Other than finally letting go of the weird friendship. But seriously SPOILER ALERT - it really took his fucking goat choking on a finger to figure that out? It was ridiculous. And I'm sorry the town witch running around with her visions was absurd and took me out of a charming story. It was ludicrous. The movie is not as great as advertised.

by Anonymousreply 10December 18, 2022 1:49 AM

Padriac*

by Anonymousreply 11December 18, 2022 1:49 AM

That reminds—has anyone checked on JRM lately? Hope he doesn’t top himself if Colin gets a major accolade for this.

by Anonymousreply 12December 18, 2022 1:49 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but you have to suspend your disbelief as the story is often a farce/metaphor.

The photography was splendid, as was the acting.

My favorite moment was when the town idiot said, "touché" and the Colin Farrell character didn't understand what that meant. The glimmer that crossed the sister's face when she realized that her brother was actually the town idiot was priceless.

by Anonymousreply 13December 18, 2022 1:51 AM

R10 TO YOU. Remember to say “in my opinion” in the future, because that’s all it is, your opinion.

Yes, his goats were he pets. The way any of you would be heartbroken if your dog or cat choked to death is the way he was with his goat. Why is that unbelievable????

by Anonymousreply 14December 18, 2022 1:51 AM

R10 and how was he supposed to change? He is a middle aged man who clearly isn’t the brightest who lives on an island outside of Ireland. What do you suppose he do to change by the end?

by Anonymousreply 15December 18, 2022 1:52 AM

[quote]it really took his fucking goat choking on a finger to figure that out?

You can't tell the difference between goats and donkeys?

by Anonymousreply 16December 18, 2022 1:53 AM

I thought it was interesting that the Colin Farrell character was a good-looking man who showed absolutely no interest in women. None.

by Anonymousreply 17December 18, 2022 1:54 AM

What a crock of shit review

by Anonymousreply 18December 18, 2022 1:56 AM

As much as I enjoyed the character. He really got on my nerves by the end. It was like let it go dude. He doesn't wanna be friends with you. Move on. He wasn't even hot.

by Anonymousreply 19December 18, 2022 1:57 AM

I want the sister to win supporting actress and the dim friend for supporting actor.

by Anonymousreply 20December 18, 2022 1:59 AM

SPOILER:

Scene on the beach was a bit silly. "So you burned down my house with everything I value, but thanks for looking after my dog, dude."

by Anonymousreply 21December 18, 2022 1:59 AM

[quote]I want the sister to win supporting actress and the dim friend for supporting actor.

They were both better than Farrell, who is getting all the buzz.

by Anonymousreply 22December 18, 2022 2:00 AM

R17 where were the women for him to show interest in? I’m almost certain you didn’t watch the film based on your comments. The only women in their small island were old or his sister.

by Anonymousreply 23December 18, 2022 2:02 AM

R21 like White Lotus and everything meant for intelligent adults, this film clearly went over your head.

It was well written.

by Anonymousreply 24December 18, 2022 2:03 AM

R21 both characters were one note and absurd after a while. Especially cause you don't really ever see them as friends so you can can get a sense of what was lost there

by Anonymousreply 25December 18, 2022 2:03 AM

[quote]like White Lotus and everything meant for intelligent adults, this film clearly went over your head.

I love queens who pat themselves on the back for being so sophisticated they get TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 26December 18, 2022 2:05 AM

STFU R24 the fucking old witch serving as a Greek chorus was fucking absurd. Nothing went over intelligent people's heads. It just wasn't as clever as your high brow bloviated mind thinks

by Anonymousreply 27December 18, 2022 2:06 AM

The Irish can be casually cruel.

by Anonymousreply 28December 18, 2022 2:06 AM

R19 he was very clearly lonely. Also, they’re lifelong friends who grew up there. They’ve known one another for as long as they can remember. For someone you’ve known since you were a child to suddenly say “I don’t want to be friends anymore”, I assume that would be hurtful and baffling at the same time. Padraic even says something like “you liked me yesterday”. It’s baffling how he just woke up one day and decided “I don’t like you anymore.”

And he very obviously didn’t. He seemed to view Padraic as beneath him because he’s dull and dim with nothing going on.

by Anonymousreply 29December 18, 2022 2:07 AM

The witch was in a few minutes total of the film. Less than 5.

by Anonymousreply 30December 18, 2022 2:08 AM

Yes hon I got that. But after the first finger I think I get you just don't like my ass anymore.

by Anonymousreply 31December 18, 2022 2:09 AM

I loved it and Colin Farrell is still hot.

by Anonymousreply 32December 18, 2022 2:09 AM

R30 - two deaths the witch tells him. That's when the movie went from a 4 star enjoyment to a 3 star.

by Anonymousreply 33December 18, 2022 2:11 AM

Padraic didn’t just accept that Colm didn’t wanna be friends anymore because they’ve been friends his whole life. This is someone he’s known since he was a child. Like a brother. His brain couldn’t understand why this person who he was close to would suddenly not want him in his life. I think many people would struggle to understand that.

He also didn’t accept it because in his mind Colm was just going through something and was gonna snap out of it eventually.

by Anonymousreply 34December 18, 2022 2:12 AM

Witches are a big part of Irish folklore and history.

by Anonymousreply 35December 18, 2022 2:13 AM

I love when Gleeson told the sister that he was boring and she looked at him and said "You're all boring". It looked like the character got something from that based on the acting but then the script just let him proceed to his initial stance. The same as after he said he liked him again after the Farrell character got drunk and told him off at the bar. Again, I didn't get why there was no room for growth even when the character acknowledged something.

by Anonymousreply 36December 18, 2022 2:16 AM

Excellent point, R25. Our only insight into the pre-existing friendship was from outsiders' points of view. We glimpsed very few traces of the friendship.

Padraic might have been "slow," but Colm was bat-shit, banshee crazy.

I'll be rewatching "In Bruges" this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 37December 18, 2022 2:18 AM

^the superior "In Bruges"

by Anonymousreply 38December 18, 2022 2:20 AM

Only an idiot needs “backstory”. Learn to watch things for what they are.

by Anonymousreply 39December 18, 2022 2:38 AM

Fuck off. Even when there's backstory good storytelling gives you glimpses of it. It's not just fucking dialogue exposition you fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 40December 18, 2022 2:40 AM

But there were glimpses of it through dialogue. Just listen.

by Anonymousreply 41December 18, 2022 2:43 AM

Again, exposition through dialogue only is fucking weak, last storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 42December 18, 2022 2:44 AM

lazy^

by Anonymousreply 43December 18, 2022 2:45 AM

How about this...

"I'm voting for Donald Trump."

"But I've known you my whole life... how can you..."

by Anonymousreply 44December 18, 2022 2:54 AM

R42 no. It isn’t. It’s the most realistic form of storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 45December 18, 2022 2:57 AM

[quote]Padraic might have been "slow," but Colm was bat-shit, banshee crazy.

The movie also makes it clear that Colm suffers from depression and probably has for a very long time. In a different culture and a different era, he might have had the tools to deal with that, but he doesn't even have the vocabulary to express what he's feeling. I think the movie does a good job of showing that Colm's actions don't make sense even to him; he knows he's not acting rationally, but he can't quite help himself. He's not as different from Padraic as he would like, in that way.

by Anonymousreply 46December 18, 2022 2:57 AM

I was so disappointed with this film, it could have been great. A man stops talking to a man in Ireland is like murdering him, a rich theme But the movie goes literal and icky. An uninteresting old coot abusing Forrest Gump.

Agree the sister is a marvel, also the son of the Police chief.

by Anonymousreply 47December 18, 2022 2:59 AM

Does the drunk lil Mick flash nut sack?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 18, 2022 2:59 AM

But why these moments of clarity? Oh I think I like him again after the drunken outburst and the look in the eyes after the sister tells him "You're all boring". Basically telling him he's judging her brother for his own same flaws.

by Anonymousreply 49December 18, 2022 3:01 AM

I think the film would have benefited from more subtext.

by Anonymousreply 50December 18, 2022 3:03 AM

Barry Keoghan was good in his few scenes but nothing compared to Gleeson.

by Anonymousreply 51December 18, 2022 3:07 AM

R49 him saying he likes him again after he had a drunk outburst wasn’t him being serious. He was being a smart ass and saying he likes him better when he’s drunk than when he’s sober because he’s dull and dim, but at least he’s entertaining when drunk.

by Anonymousreply 52December 18, 2022 3:08 AM

R50 because you’re unintelligent and need picture books to understand anything.

by Anonymousreply 53December 18, 2022 3:09 AM

OP, Are you on the short bus? R1 was way too kind.

by Anonymousreply 54December 18, 2022 3:09 AM

Yes, OP/r3, you did. Hint: Barry K.

by Anonymousreply 55December 18, 2022 3:10 AM

R55 no. I didn’t. I said he fell. I never said what happened because he fell. There are many things that can happen from a fall.

by Anonymousreply 56December 18, 2022 3:12 AM

omg, this movie is so fucking stupid and bad! don't waste your money folks and more importantly, don't waste your time!!!

by Anonymousreply 57December 18, 2022 3:13 AM

The Streisand Effect is in full force in this discussion of spoilers. If you really don't want people to be spoiled, let it go!

by Anonymousreply 58December 18, 2022 3:14 AM

What's with the title? It sounds like something a drank Liza Minnelli would say.

by Anonymousreply 59December 18, 2022 3:31 AM

It was very obvious Colm was dealing with depression but he didn’t know what it was he was dealing with. It was a different time and a different culture than the rest of us. He himself couldn’t identify exactly what he was feeling, but he knew he was feeling it.

Padraic at least had Siobhan, and even Dominic, who he found annoying, plus his animals he loved. Colm literally only had his dog and music. I think he was in a deep state of depression and extremely lonely, and for some reason being around Padraic only intensified those feelings.

by Anonymousreply 60December 18, 2022 3:34 AM

[quote]There was no real arc and he just seemed like an innocent.

Are you serious?

SPOILER ALERT: Pádraic went from being a confused, innocent self-described nice guy to burning down Colm's house and telling him that his only regret was that Colm wasn't in it at the time.

Colm didn't turn on Pádraic just because he thought he was above him and that Pádraic was boring. It was obvious that he suffered from depression and he was taking that out on Pádraic. He cut off his fucking fingers just because Pádraic talked to him. Then he threw his severed fingers at Pádraic's door. Colm was emotionally abusive and drove nice boring Pádraic to attempt murder.

by Anonymousreply 61December 18, 2022 3:34 AM

^nothing changes at the end of the movie from what you describe. He burned down the stupid house but still like goes apologizes for it at the end. He seemed to explain it instead of it just let it speak for itself. The whole house boring didn't seem to fit either. You have this whole story about losing a friend then you come to the realization that you are just gonna burn him down. I like a lot of the movie. But there is no real good rationality to the two main characters behavior.

by Anonymousreply 62December 18, 2022 3:39 AM

Yeah, I’m not understanding the poster who claims there was no sign of change. There was. For the worse. Padraic was a very sweet, naive, innocent man who was also very “dim” aka dumb. We see him go from confused and kind to angry enough to wanna murder the person he feels is being unjustifiably mean to him.

And he was right. Colm was being unjustifiably mean.

by Anonymousreply 63December 18, 2022 3:39 AM

I thought it was Colin's best performance in what's been a fine career. He's one of those guys who hit the double lottery: Great looks and can actually act. He's terrific as a leading man, a character actor, an action star or whatever he decides to do.

And I think this might net him an Oscar, one of those Oscars that's really about the body of work and still looking good.

by Anonymousreply 64December 18, 2022 3:40 AM

colin looks so old in this.

by Anonymousreply 65December 18, 2022 3:41 AM

R61 the poster who said that is the same poster who didn’t understand 95% of White Lotus because nothing was illustrated for him like a children’s book. He doesn’t understand character driven stories and relies on plot driven, failing to realize not all stories are plot drive. He didn’t even know character driven was a thing until days ago.

He should stick to Sesame Street or Reading Rainbow and leave the grown up movies and shows to us.

by Anonymousreply 66December 18, 2022 3:41 AM

R65 he’s 46 but Irish. They tend to age like milk.

by Anonymousreply 67December 18, 2022 3:42 AM

^get over yourself dipshit. White Lotus isn't even as good as you think it is

by Anonymousreply 68December 18, 2022 3:43 AM

Whio is the cum dump that thinks that every story trajectory hinges on understanding The White Lotus? Fucking moron. I bet it's a bottom too.

by Anonymousreply 69December 18, 2022 3:44 AM

White Lotus not being as good TO YOU doesn’t change that you didn’t understand anything and needed us to explain every little thing to you.

by Anonymousreply 70December 18, 2022 3:44 AM

R24: This was far more intelligent and clever than Whit Lotus. Frerrll is the one who kept my interest and his sweetness here overcomes other aspects of the plot.

by Anonymousreply 71December 18, 2022 3:45 AM

Colin is Black Irish, though, and they age better than the gingers.

I will forever admire Colin for standing up for gay marriage (he has a gay brother whom he clearly loves a lot) before a lot of Hollywood celebs.

[quote]"It’s about giving our lesbian and gay sisters and brothers back a right that should never have been stolen from them in the first place,. He added that his brother is "at home in Dublin living in peace and love with his husband of some years, Steven. They are about the healthiest and happiest couple I know. They had to travel a little farther than down the aisle to make their vows, though, to Canada, where their marriage was celebrated ... That’s why this is personal to me. The fact that my brother had to leave Ireland to have his dream of being married become real is insane. INSANE."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 18, 2022 3:46 AM

I don't understand White Lotus therefore..fucking idiot

by Anonymousreply 73December 18, 2022 3:46 AM

This is why everyone avoids bottoms.. Unless they're hot just avoid. Fuck the hot ones and run.

by Anonymousreply 74December 18, 2022 3:48 AM

Colin has always been a very liberal open minded pro-gay, pro-interracial man from Ireland who happened to make it big in the early 00s after having 3 or 4 movies he was starring in debut at #1 at the box office.

by Anonymousreply 75December 18, 2022 3:49 AM

3 or 4 consecutive* movies debut at #1.

by Anonymousreply 76December 18, 2022 3:49 AM

R72 no. A lot of them age bad too lol.

by Anonymousreply 77December 18, 2022 3:51 AM

Adding: Colin's brother was an effeminate boy who wore eyeliner to school and was mercilessly bullied. He says he was too terrified to fight back.

He has recounted how Colin — who is eight years younger — beat the shit out of the bullies for him.

He was also his brother's best man at the wedding. Stand-up guy by all accounts.

by Anonymousreply 78December 18, 2022 3:51 AM

2022 was a great year for Colin. Three very good performances in "After Yang", "The Batman", and "The Banshees of Inisherin".

by Anonymousreply 79December 18, 2022 3:52 AM

Watched it a few days ago. I love Colin Farrell. but the movie is boring as hell. He was lovely tho.

by Anonymousreply 80December 18, 2022 3:56 AM

I don't blame the sister for leaving the island, there wasn't anything to do except take care of her brother. It seemed she didn't even have any female friends.

by Anonymousreply 81December 18, 2022 3:56 AM

R79, was also in Thirteen Lives, the movie on Amazon Prime that no one saw but was perfectly decent in the way most Ron Howard movies are.

by Anonymousreply 82December 18, 2022 3:57 AM

Was curious throughout how Colin got off. He didn't lust after women like the dumb friend. He had to get off somehow

by Anonymousreply 83December 18, 2022 3:58 AM

R81 there were hardly females there, and certainly none her age. Almost everyone is old too. Dominic seems to be the youngest person on the Island. He has no one his own age.

It’s a very small island too.

by Anonymousreply 84December 18, 2022 4:06 AM

A video about what R72 and R78 were saying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 18, 2022 4:07 AM

R83 it’s set in 1923 Ireland. Chances are they believed they would go to hell if they masterbated. On top of that there were no women to fornicate with and it was 1923. No tv. No internet. Etc. he slept in the same room as his sister too. He also seemed very innocent.

by Anonymousreply 86December 18, 2022 4:09 AM

R85 that’s awesome but Colin has spoken out as pro-gay since the early 00s, back when it was still taboo, especially for male stars.

by Anonymousreply 87December 18, 2022 4:10 AM

Yes. This takes place almost 100 years ago. A very very different time.

by Anonymousreply 88December 18, 2022 4:13 AM

I found the scene where he finds his baby animal dead so sad. His reaction was so real. No overacting like some would do. He was very understated but effective. It worked. I just wanted to give him a big hug.

by Anonymousreply 89December 18, 2022 4:19 AM

Farrell's performance was wooden. Gleeson turned in yet another good performance. Both of them gave far better performances in In Bruges.

Barry Keoghan was memorable, very much deserving of his award nominations.

by Anonymousreply 90December 18, 2022 4:53 AM

Good grief, as soon as you block one freak, three others appear. Have fun in "ignore" blood clots.

Back to the film, it seemed to switch genre midway from a mild dramedy to a full-blown horror movie depicting an extremely passive-aggressive character and the destruction he engineered in the face of rejection.

Run, Siobhan, run for your life.

by Anonymousreply 91December 18, 2022 4:54 AM

R90 doesn’t know what wooden acting is. He wasn’t wooden. He was amazing. That is who the character was.

by Anonymousreply 92December 18, 2022 4:58 AM

R92 "Wooden" acting: The performance is forced, in other words, the feelings and emotions are “acted,” not felt.

Compared to the other actors in the film, Farrell's performance was definitely wooden.

by Anonymousreply 93December 18, 2022 5:04 AM

R91 nailed it. It was dark to start with but then it went REAL DARK. And it just didn’t feel earned as the motivation was never explained.

Sure, Colm was depressed, lonely and felt stifled and bored stuck on the island. But why would he take it out on Padraic in such dramatic fashion, especially since the movie tells us they’ve been friends forever?

I wanted to like it. It was beautiful to look at and the actors were great but I felt like the story didn’t hold up its end of the bargain and that’s why the movie didn’t work.

by Anonymousreply 94December 18, 2022 5:25 AM

^ I never felt a huge urgency to care. Sorry but i didn't feel like I knew anyone that well. The sister was the only real character. I would vote for her if I had a ballot. Also loved the dimwitted friend.

by Anonymousreply 95December 18, 2022 5:28 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 18, 2022 7:21 AM

R17 R17 yeah but you can’t necessarily read that as gay-coded, either.

There’s a certain flavour of vacuous, pretty, entitled but harmless and softcentred geezer who just thinks of half-decent quality pussy as a nice pastime and as an infinite sustainable resource that’s always around and available to him on account of his unthreatening hunky idiocy, so he doesn’t pant after it nor does he have to do evil or plot and scheme to acquire it. It’s just there, like air all around, to take or leave at will.

by Anonymousreply 97December 18, 2022 12:29 PM

R94 why do you say “nailed it” every time you reply to yourself? You didn’t nail a thing.

by Anonymousreply 98December 18, 2022 1:20 PM

Dear God. Not everything is gay or straight. Even if he wasn’t attracted to any woman on the island doesn’t mean he is gay. Life is not black or white. That isnt life. And just because you’re gay and obsessed with sex and porn in 2022 doesn’t mean others are. Especially in 1923.

by Anonymousreply 99December 18, 2022 1:23 PM

Did you burst into flames when you watched the film, OP?

by Anonymousreply 100December 18, 2022 1:31 PM

It was terrible when Colin Farrell's character killed himself that way.

Very upsetting.

by Anonymousreply 101December 18, 2022 1:45 PM

[quote]Sure, Colm was depressed, lonely and felt stifled and bored stuck on the island. But why would he take it out on Padraic in such dramatic fashion, especially since the movie tells us they’ve been friends forever?

Because he's suffering from a mental illness. Colm is depressed. He has spent his life on this boring island and has accomplished nothing. He thinks that when he's dead and gone, he'll not be remembered for anything. He feels like he's wasted his life and he hates himself for that. Pádraic, on the other hand, is quite content with his life on the island. He's happy to continue doing the things he's always done. He doesn't need to be remembered for any great accomplishment as long as he's remembered for being a nice guy. So Colm projects his disappointment and hatred of himself on to Pádraic.

by Anonymousreply 102December 18, 2022 1:54 PM

OP YOU FUCKING CUNT. SPOILER ALERTS!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 103December 18, 2022 2:04 PM

Are there subtitles in this film?

by Anonymousreply 104December 18, 2022 2:15 PM

The Oscar is his.

by Anonymousreply 105December 18, 2022 2:20 PM

Hahaha, r59! Now I can't read it any other way!

by Anonymousreply 106December 18, 2022 2:49 PM

R105, Maybe.

I still am not convinced that Colin or Brendan F. showed the broad range---emotionally, chronologically, talents, mannerisms---that Austin Butler did.

by Anonymousreply 107December 18, 2022 2:53 PM

R98, I’m not replying to myself. My only other reply is R4. Jeez, people see “conspiracy” 🙄 everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 108December 18, 2022 3:49 PM

Is this a good one to watch stoned?

by Anonymousreply 109December 18, 2022 3:53 PM

R109 no. It’s a good one to watch sober like a normal human.

by Anonymousreply 110December 18, 2022 3:54 PM

I turned it off halfway through because I wasn't stoned. I didn't buy it, the rainless Ireland, the picture postcard spotless cottages in 1923, an intelligent actor playing the dullest man in a dull village, the obligatory abusive cunt father and especially the inexplicable behavior of Gleeson, who acted like he wandered in unawares from another movie.

by Anonymousreply 111December 18, 2022 4:26 PM

R111 I feel sorry for you.

by Anonymousreply 112December 18, 2022 6:01 PM

Great movie until the end. Unfortunately this movie ends in the middle of the story. Incomplete ending.

by Anonymousreply 113December 18, 2022 6:08 PM

SPOILER ALERT:

A much more quirky movie than the "pretty Irish fable, dark comedy" stuff would lead you to believe. The Aran islands... distanced from the mainland and caught in time. The miles of stone walls of people who used to live there, long gone. The residue of human society. The bizarre house of Colm with art, masks, sculpture hanging from the ceiling, no explanation for such an anomaly. The drunken cop nakedly spread legged showing his "small brown penis" that later we learned "diddles his dull-witted son"... the priest uncovered for secret thoughts about men... the sister who can't wait to get to the world away where there are gunshots and executions.... the deepest love in the film between a simple man and a miniature donkey... and, yes, R113, nothing about this story was going to let you feel any sense of completion.

Dark in ways unexpected. Not a good movie to watch just for entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 114December 18, 2022 6:30 PM

R112 I feel sorry for me too. I wanted to like it.

by Anonymousreply 115December 18, 2022 7:41 PM

Imo IN BRUGES is nonpareil. It's one of the best independent dramedies ever made. It is beautiful, painful, melancholy, hilarious, humane, entertaining, thoughtful, artistic and poignant.

This film was never going to better, little else can be.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116December 18, 2022 9:12 PM

R114 wow. What an interesting OPINION.

by Anonymousreply 117December 18, 2022 9:24 PM

I will probably watch again tomorrow

by Anonymousreply 118December 19, 2022 5:04 AM

I hope this hottie and good man gets showered in awards. He has certainly paid his dues.

by Anonymousreply 119December 19, 2022 5:59 AM

R119, Awards aren't for persistence. I think Colin Farrell is sexy, talented, handsome, and charming, with a killer accent.

But I'll see "The Banshees..." this Thursday to decide for myself about the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 120December 19, 2022 7:44 AM

R119 It was two different thoughts. I know awards are not for persistence. However Academy members are thinging a little bit about that when they consider. Whether they are supposed to or not.

by Anonymousreply 121December 19, 2022 9:11 AM

If he wins, that would be two Oscar winners we've actually seen getting blown.

by Anonymousreply 122December 19, 2022 11:19 AM

Acting Oscars are often awarded for a body of work or the sense that the actor is “due.” And Oscar often is a sucker for biopic bait, which gives Austin Butler an edge. But rooting for Farrell.

by Anonymousreply 123December 19, 2022 11:27 AM

R72 " I will forever admire Colin for standing up..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124December 19, 2022 1:43 PM

R120 I’m sure Colin is waiting in anticipation (eyeroll)

by Anonymousreply 125December 19, 2022 3:47 PM

I like that the film is getting a lot of love and praise. It’s actually very good and not a film that feels like it’s Oscar bait.

by Anonymousreply 126December 19, 2022 3:50 PM

I LOVE this movie. I wasn't expecting much going in and I was blown away. It reminded me of why movies are an important art form. That seems to have gotten lost in the Marvel crap.

by Anonymousreply 127December 19, 2022 4:30 PM

I have seen Colin in most of his films, this is NOT oscar worthy. overrated!!! Don't waste your time folks! Watch another movie!

by Anonymousreply 128December 19, 2022 4:46 PM

Not sure ‘incandescent’ was quite the right choice of epithet to describe the performance or the film, excellent as they were.

by Anonymousreply 129December 19, 2022 5:10 PM

Don't watch this movie, y'all! R128 has spoken. She is, after all, the foremost Colin Farrell expert. Because she's seen "most" of his films and this one is "overrated". With three exclamation points, yet.

by Anonymousreply 130December 19, 2022 7:10 PM

In Bruges is Martin McDonagh's best. This isn't as great as the ads and reviews would have you believe and I agree with R128, it's overrated, although I think Farrell deserves a nom.

by Anonymousreply 131December 19, 2022 7:38 PM

Kerry Condron and Barry Keoghan deserve supporting noms - the 2 leads not so much.

by Anonymousreply 132December 19, 2022 7:42 PM

this 1923 tale of two irish neighbors who are suddenly at odds symbolizes the futility of the island's pointless civll war. and all wars....

It's the same old theme / Since nineteen-sixteen In your head, in your head, they're still fighting

With their tanks and their bombs / And their bombs and their guns In your head, in your head, they are dying

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133December 19, 2022 7:49 PM

R131 agreeing with yourself is so on brand for you.

by Anonymousreply 134December 19, 2022 8:02 PM

How big is Farrell's pretty cock? 7 inches, kind of thick?

by Anonymousreply 135December 19, 2022 8:04 PM

[quote] I didn’t post spoilers.

You gave away a character's fate in your OP, you dumb shit.

by Anonymousreply 136December 19, 2022 8:07 PM

As someone who has ACTUALLY watched almost every Farrell film, this is one of his best performances. He’s incredibly charming and endearing in this.

by Anonymousreply 137December 19, 2022 8:08 PM

R125, No, but you are! 😙

by Anonymousreply 138December 19, 2022 8:10 PM

R133, right?!

"Oh God, maybe you were never nice."

by Anonymousreply 139December 19, 2022 8:12 PM

Weren’t Farrell and Keogh together in “The Killing of A Sacred Deer”? (Fantastic and weird one!)

Come to think of it, Farrell has been in some superb films. I saw Banshees because I loved “In Bruges” so much. It was inevitable that I would laugh and want to cry and be horrified and think about it for a week after seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 140December 19, 2022 8:18 PM

I hope Condon gets an Oscar nomination. I’ll never forgive myself for missing her in “The Lieutenant of Inishmore” off Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 141December 19, 2022 8:30 PM

R140 There are movies that "stay" with you. Others, even if having a strong impact when seen, that get forgotten pretty quickly.

This movie was/is like that for me. It just somehow doesn't "fit" in the end; things that want to be expected "irish folk in the pubs and cracking wise at each other" just seems unsettling. I mean, the poor fucking donkey, eh? I'll even connect this donkey to EO and Au Hazard Balthazar in the donkey portal to seeing a stark and disturbing world.

It's like a literary, good short story, in that sense. It intentional does not answer any of the questions you think it's asking. Raymond Carver. Chekov. Brief snapshot of inscrutable being leaving nothing resolved.

by Anonymousreply 142December 19, 2022 9:37 PM

Colin's best performance was that sex tape! 100% nudity. highly recommend!

by Anonymousreply 143December 19, 2022 9:57 PM

R142 well I respect your opinion. But I feel differently.

by Anonymousreply 144December 19, 2022 10:43 PM

I've only read the first few posts of the thread, but isn't the entire "feud" a metaphor for pointless wars? When we fight over the idea of fighting more than having anything to really fight over? And then letting a rather stupid inciting incident, however small and presumably easy to move on from, get bigger and bigger and bigger until, well, you lose you fucking fingers, burn down houses, etc, all for nothing?

That was my take anyway.

I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 145December 20, 2022 3:12 AM

I liked the civil war metaphor. 1922 civil war raging on the mainland, reflected in the battle between friends on the Island that is and isn't Ireland.

Also one of the most painfully true portrayals of the Irish male psyche ever put to film.

by Anonymousreply 146December 20, 2022 3:49 AM

As an ass lover, I could not love this film.

by Anonymousreply 147December 20, 2022 4:06 AM

I'm dying to see this film. I haven't felt this way for many years.

by Anonymousreply 148December 20, 2022 4:20 AM

Not a massive fan of McDonagh, personally, but I thought this was actually better than most of his stuff. It had the usual mixture of stage irishness with modern language/thinking which doesn't fit the setting (eg Padraic and Siobhan would not describe Dominic and his behaviour as 'creepy in a kind of a #MeToo way). That said, the acting was excellent from all the main characters and the central story did draw you in, a portrait of small-town spite and bitterness that you find in the best of Irish art, from Kevin Barry to Flann O'Brien to Mairtin O'Cadhain.

I await the Oscar nominations, followed by the British press inevitably claiming the cast as Brits in Hollywood, only to be aided and abetted by the clueless American press.

by Anonymousreply 149December 20, 2022 4:26 AM

Kerri Condon is spectacular in a quiet way. When she's on the screen you can't look at anything else. Agree that she deserves a supporting nom.

by Anonymousreply 150December 20, 2022 6:31 AM

[quote] I've only read the first few posts of the thread, but isn't the entire "feud" a metaphor for pointless wars?

[spoiler] I don't think the metaphor was about war because there is only one major physical aggression from one character to the other and it comes very late in the film. The rest of the time the two men act relatively civil with each other and destructive only to themselves.

by Anonymousreply 151December 20, 2022 6:37 AM

R151, I don't think the metaphor needs to be so on the nose as to equate to actual violent interactions between the factions. More how absurd war (and warring factions) is often reduced to. How the genesis of war can be frustratingly obtuse. And how the fallout of war does lead to people to commit actions that are completely out of character.

In war? Shooting each other dead. Even worse, in a Civil War? Shooting neighbors dead.

In this film? Self mutilation and arson.

by Anonymousreply 152December 20, 2022 5:16 PM

Farrell is a typical, big dick guy, who doesn't have to prove himself.

He's hung like a Biden.

by Anonymousreply 153December 20, 2022 5:18 PM

[quote] like White Lotus and everything meant for intelligent adults, this film clearly went over your head.

Hello, STY Troll! I had wondered where you went after "White Lotus" ended.

by Anonymousreply 154December 20, 2022 5:20 PM

R152 Yep ... self-mutilation is absolutely a symbol representing what Ireland did and would do to itself.

by Anonymousreply 155December 20, 2022 5:25 PM

It was good, but not a lot of excitement. In this TikTok era, it’s really hard for audiences to watch mature slow burn content that requires a lot of focus and attention to dialogue.

by Anonymousreply 156December 20, 2022 5:44 PM

As you are waiting, r125....😉 I loved this movie. My being part Irish (Cty Donegal) didn't hurt. Do I think Colin Farrell was superb? Yes! Do I think he was better in his role than Austin Butler in his? No. Colin did love, poignancy, sorrow, anger, kindness, but, in a nod to Ginger Rogers, Austin conveyed all that while aging 20 years and performing on stage, too!

SPOILERS:

Memorable parts to me: The non-screaming Banshee like a lone Witch of "Macbeth," predicting death. Every entity that Padraic loves leaving him in his, her, or especially, its own ways. The existential crisis of Colm vs the simple desire to lead a life of "niceness" of Padraic. The abject forlornness of Dominic, brilliantly played by Barry Keoghan. And the ambiguous ending, leading me, at any rate, to hope for a reconciliation after tragedy, writ large and small.

The many other aforementioned analyses by others are much appreciated.

But the entire theme was made explicit in the very beginning, lest we be so obtuse as to not get it, gunfire notwithstanding, when Incest Cop Father doesn't know which side is executing which, and doesn't care.

Thomas Hardy said it all:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157December 22, 2022 8:42 PM

R156 good thing this indie film wasn’t geared toward TikTok youth. It’s a film for adults. And the demographic for it was adults.

The world doesn’t revolve around the kids.

PS this wasn’t a major studio film. It was a small indie.

by Anonymousreply 158December 22, 2022 8:49 PM

[quote]The only women in their small island were old or his sister.

Hot.

by Anonymousreply 159December 22, 2022 8:57 PM

Farrell has won the majority of the critics awards and is getting the Palm Springs honor next week. Fraser also similarly feted - but it may come down to the Brit and Euro voters in the Academy. Look for Farrell to clean up at the BAFTAs. They make up a large voting bloc in AMPAS.

by Anonymousreply 160December 22, 2022 10:00 PM

Off topic. This is my favorite pic of young Colin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 22, 2022 11:02 PM

R161 you took time to have a fav pic of a celeb?

by Anonymousreply 162December 22, 2022 11:05 PM

Sure. Why not? A pic I noticed years ago and thought it really captures him looking lovely but not doing any Blue Steel nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 163December 22, 2022 11:07 PM

Only you didn’t. You went on Google and searched through images to find one to claim as your favorite

by Anonymousreply 164December 22, 2022 11:08 PM

This is my favorite Cesar Romero picture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165December 22, 2022 11:08 PM

R164 wrong. Those really are my favorite pics. I can't believe YOUR life is so visually impoverished that you never bothered to look at images and consider what might be good ones, in your criteria.

by Anonymousreply 166December 22, 2022 11:10 PM

This is my favorite pic of Mapplethorpe. And I dedicate it to you, lowbrow dimwit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 22, 2022 11:13 PM

R3

Yeah, you did post spoilers.

by Anonymousreply 168December 23, 2022 1:44 PM

R120

Sometimes that's what they end up being. The Oscar voters make up for past oversights. Elizabeth Taylor said she won her Oscar because she was in the hospital and didn't die. She didn't think the movie she won it for represented her best work.

by Anonymousreply 169December 23, 2022 1:53 PM

R169 you don’t get an Oscar for your best work. It’s a matter of the competition for that single year. But sometimes they give it as a thank you for making us so much money or for having a long career.

by Anonymousreply 170December 23, 2022 1:59 PM

Well, R70, Then those last two would not be reasons enough for Colin Farrell or Brendan Fraser, but you make a succinct case for Tom Cruise in "TG: M" 2022! $$$$$$$!!

by Anonymousreply 171December 23, 2022 7:43 PM

My favorite pic of Nipsey Russell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172December 23, 2022 8:57 PM

R63, Colm's being "unjustifiably mean to him" was NOT Padraic's motive for the arson/attempted murder. Moreover, he was shown as a decent man driven to this mortal sin*, but who is back to his "niceness" at the end.

Colm and the sister felt unfulfilled on the isolated island. Padraic is a daily reminder to Colm of what he, Colm, has done and not done in his life. And maybe he is that to his sister, for she leaves him in silence, too. Even self-maiming and gunfire don't seem as awful as Life On the Island With Padraic. And the Nosy Store Proprietess, the Weird Banshee, the Lonely But Beautiful Coast, and the Usual Suspects of the Pub. Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in its petty pace......

*"Corrupt Authority" personified by Priest and the Cop, though the people keep trudging to church and submitting to beatings---and worse---by the police.

Fecking hell!

by Anonymousreply 173December 23, 2022 10:17 PM

His sister leaving had nothing to do with her brother and all to do with the townspeople.

by Anonymousreply 174December 23, 2022 10:40 PM

And you know this how, r174? She agreed Padraic was "dull." And she had to share the sole bedroom. Everything in her life was closing in on her, and she leapt at the opportunity to leave it ALL.

by Anonymousreply 175December 24, 2022 12:56 AM

R175 I’m not arguing with someone so stupid. She even invites him to live with her more than once. It had nothing to do with him.

She chose to leave after that woman said no wonder no one likes you.

by Anonymousreply 176December 24, 2022 1:11 AM

"Incandescent," like "iconic" and "fiercely intelligent," is so over-used that it's become almost meaningless.

by Anonymousreply 177December 24, 2022 1:16 AM

R177 thanks for sharing your OPINION on that non-matter.

by Anonymousreply 178December 24, 2022 1:18 AM

No problem. And thanks for sharing your incandescent OPINION on my OPINION.

by Anonymousreply 179December 24, 2022 1:23 AM

It’s a non-matter. That’s barely an opinion.

by Anonymousreply 180December 24, 2022 1:29 AM

[quote]I don't think the metaphor was about war

You think wrong.

by Anonymousreply 181December 24, 2022 11:33 AM

Any male nudity?

Either way I've ordered the Blu Ray sight unseen.

by Anonymousreply 182December 24, 2022 11:36 AM

No, r182. Not even a shirt off.

by Anonymousreply 183December 24, 2022 3:36 PM

Well, r176, I will watch again. I don't reject the idea that some things whooshed over my head.

For some unfathomable reason your insult has bummed me out.

by Anonymousreply 184December 24, 2022 3:41 PM

R182 R183 Well, there's the pedo cop dad, drunk, passed out, sitting up with legs spread to show what the son later describes as "his small brown cock".... it's memorable if also nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 185December 24, 2022 4:36 PM

R176, I've seen this movie described as, and even Colin Farrell's nomination in, a comedy.

Your thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 186December 24, 2022 8:56 PM

It’s definitely a dark comedy.

by Anonymousreply 187December 24, 2022 8:58 PM

But r7, Is it even that?

by Anonymousreply 188December 24, 2022 9:00 PM

Yes r188. There’s a lot of humor mixed in. If you’re looking for slapstick comedy this isn’t for you.

by Anonymousreply 189December 24, 2022 9:11 PM

It has comedic moments, for sure. But it’s very bleak and more tragic than anything.

by Anonymousreply 190December 24, 2022 9:21 PM

R190

What qualifies as dark comedy?

a play, movie, etc., having elements of comedy and tragedy, often involving gloomy or morbid satire.

by Anonymousreply 191December 24, 2022 9:24 PM

R189, I actually have quite a honed sense of humor, and it excludes slapstick, a stupid remark by you.

I agree 100% with r190.

Some comedic passages (e.g., Dominic's droll "Another dream that died." E.g , Padraic's "Well, I never heard of him [Mozart], so there goes that theory." And of course, Jenny In The House.) do not necessarily in and of themselves a categorical "comedy" make.

Colm chops off his four fiddle fingers. Dominic, incest victim and lovelorn lad, drowns himself. Jenny the Donkey chokes on the grotesque severed fingers. The sister departs. The priest is corrupt (maybe his foul language is funny, but depressing when one thinks about it). The background is of civil war. Dominic's father is an amoral incestuous cop. Even the old Banshee really isn't humorous, as her predictions of two deaths comes to pass.

Now, once upon a time I might have read that tragedy among the common class constitutes comedy. So maybe that's what this movie of heartbreak is.

Or maybe it's just Irish!

by Anonymousreply 192December 24, 2022 10:05 PM

What is wrong with Dominic cognitively? He's witty and makes good observations but also seems handicapped.

by Anonymousreply 193December 24, 2022 10:07 PM

This is what makes it a good movie. The discussion that it generates. It stays with you.

by Anonymousreply 194December 24, 2022 10:42 PM

Does Colin show that big, fat, luscious, hairy Irish sausage?!

by Anonymousreply 195December 24, 2022 10:46 PM

No. But there is a dark tiny irish dick on a fat nude sleeping old man.

by Anonymousreply 196December 24, 2022 10:50 PM

Boring as hell!

by Anonymousreply 197December 25, 2022 6:36 AM

It's available to rent or buy from the Apple store. I've checked before so this must have happened recently.

by Anonymousreply 198December 25, 2022 7:28 AM

R196 hmmmm

by Anonymousreply 199December 25, 2022 7:57 AM

[quote]R65 he’s 46 but Irish. They tend to age like milk.

I'm pretty sure Farrell's years of substance abuse have taken a toll on his looks.

by Anonymousreply 200December 25, 2022 8:03 AM

It's a good movie not a great one. It's a highly archetypal irish narrative and that sometimes breaks to the surface, click, click, click, to make it potted, or treacly. Farrell is good - not fabulous (it's not a subtle performance) - Gleason is better (not as showy). The actors are pleasant to watch and the setting is evocative and gorgeous so you can sit there contentedly and think a bit about characters and story.

by Anonymousreply 201December 25, 2022 9:37 AM

R197, That would be "boring as feckin hell." 😉

by Anonymousreply 202December 25, 2022 12:08 PM

I'd still suck his big cock

by Anonymousreply 203December 25, 2022 1:46 PM

Colin doesn't look old in the pic but then I'm 60 and Irish. I understand he had to dye his hair to be this character, who might be 35, and the dyed hair isn't wonderful. Otherwise he looks ripe and mature and very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 204December 25, 2022 1:51 PM

Plus he has lost all the bloat. He looks fit.

by Anonymousreply 205December 25, 2022 1:52 PM

[quote]you don’t get an Oscar for your best work. It’s a matter of the competition for that single year. But sometimes they give it as a thank you for making us so much money or for having a long career.

Sandra Bullock honestly didn't deserve an Oscar for "The Blind Side" but did with her follow up almost solo turn in "Gravity".

by Anonymousreply 206December 25, 2022 2:54 PM

R206 agreed.

by Anonymousreply 207December 25, 2022 3:04 PM

Colin has put in many years of fine performances, both as lead and supporting and/or character actor. This is a "weak" year for Best Actor (relatively speaking), and if the voters choose not to reward Fraser and his iffy comeback (I just don't like anything Aronofsky's ever done, sorry), Farrell may be seen as "due".

If he doesn't win this year, he'll be in voters minds for the next go round, whether as lead or supporting. He is popular and has support in mainstream Hollywood, both in front of and behind the camera (below the line, etc). Nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 208December 25, 2022 7:59 PM

Colin deserves it for showing his cock and ass for our wanking enjoyment. Brendan will not be rewarded for refusing to show his paying audience the goods back when he was hot.

The other nominees can bugger off unless they've shown their horny parts

by Anonymousreply 209December 25, 2022 8:12 PM

I won’t catch this because Martin McDonagh’s specific kind of irony in his plays and films don’t do it for me.

But I read the synopsis at MovieSpoiler. Is the allegory schematic enough that one side represents the Republic and another the Union? Like is Colm Ireland and Padraic the British?

by Anonymousreply 210December 26, 2022 1:36 AM

It's a bit heavy on the J.M. Synge-meets-Beckett side, as done by John Ford, but the embracing clasp of loving pity is very Syngelike and a near tonic from the unpersuasive absurdity.

by Anonymousreply 211December 26, 2022 2:02 AM

I loved Colin Farrell’s performance and look forward to his acceptance speech.

But I felt a bit let down by the film. After asking us to buy into the premise, McDonagh himself doesn’t seem prepared to take it seriously and then ignores a number of opportunities to explore Colm’s position and just backs away without allowing the character to be further defined. It’s a mistake. As someone who was estranged from my mother for the last 14 years of her life and did not attend her funeral, which was still, itself, a pretty complicated position to be in, I don’t get why Colm doesn’t explore why he picked up Padraic after he’d been assaulted - McDonagh presents it as this unresolvable ultimatum but clearly it’s not without conditions. He does it again later but it’s like he’s putting out this Jane Campion vibe but doesn’t have the guts to follow through; Colm’s hand should be full of gangrene. If he doesn’t take this seriously, how does he expect us to take it seriously?

McDonagh writes cartoons; there’s ALWAYS the dim-witted young boy, often mentally retarded, who is always the clown - none of Dominic’s miseries taken very seriously, really. It’s how McDonagh came unstuck with Three Billboards - the “Ireland” he writes about doesn’t really exist, anymore than the MO of Three Billboards did, which was kind of similarly awkwardly resolved and cartoonish.

The cinematography is gorgeous, of real merit, and Kerry Conlon very nearly walks away with the film in the far more interesting relationship of the brother and sister, most of which goes completely unexplored. And Colin Farrell is great as a dullard.

by Anonymousreply 212December 26, 2022 2:15 AM

*Kerry Condon

by Anonymousreply 213December 26, 2022 2:17 AM

r110 sheltered much?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214December 26, 2022 2:19 AM

^ eh?

by Anonymousreply 215December 26, 2022 2:39 AM

R210 The Irish civil war was between the pro and anti treaty Irish. Not the Irish and the British.

by Anonymousreply 216December 26, 2022 9:30 AM

R192

[quote] Dominic's droll "Another dream that died."

That wasn't funny.

by Anonymousreply 217December 26, 2022 4:26 PM

R210, Padraic isn't the British! A cursory read of this thread would elucidate that! It's a Civil War.

Well, r217, this movie, as amply stated by many and in publications, is supposed to be a "dark comedy."

If that line isn't a throwaway one of rueful humor---because come on, Dominic showed clearly he knew he was punching above his weight while Sis let him down with gentle smiles---not to mention his follow-up, "I'll be going over there to be doing whatever it is I'm to be doing" [paraphrase], then there's only one comedic line in the entire movie (Padraic to Colm: "I don't know who [Mozart] is, so there goes that theory."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218December 26, 2022 5:06 PM

R212, If indeed Colin wins the AA, then Austin and Brendan can join the club for "Actors Who Portrayed Elvis And Lost the Academy Award."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219December 26, 2022 5:11 PM

And r217, Please read the OP, re Barry Keoghan in this movie: "funny yet heartbreaking."

by Anonymousreply 220December 26, 2022 5:12 PM

R219 Brendan didn’t get nominated for playing Elvis. So that doesn’t count.

by Anonymousreply 221December 26, 2022 5:14 PM

Austin’s reward is being nominated. But he’s always been viewed as 3rd place.

by Anonymousreply 222December 26, 2022 5:14 PM

Interesting podcast discussing the film, from Monocle on Culture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223December 26, 2022 5:16 PM

r208 Not sure it's "weak", beyond Farrell and Fraser, Diego Calva in the soon to be released Babylon, Bill Nighy for Living... it'll be hard not to nominate Cruise for a film that showed "old Hollywood" can still make money, Austin Butler for Elvis is oscar-bait, Kaluuya for Nope (Oscar not-so-white).... and what was the best performance of the year, Paul Mescal in Aftersun.

by Anonymousreply 224December 26, 2022 5:17 PM

Funny how you think any black actor in contention is only there because of their skin color but never question some of the white contenders. Never. R224

by Anonymousreply 225December 26, 2022 5:20 PM

PS I haven’t heard of Daniel Kaluuya being in anyone’s top 5.

There are a lot of names being thrown around and his is low on most lists. The 3 safe bets are Fraser, Farrell and Butler. In that order. Many still think Fraser may be able to edge out Farrell, but it’s between those two. Butler is a safe bet, in 3rd place.

4th and 5th are up for grabs but Bill Nighy seems to be many critics and movie experts 4th slot, with 5th being up for grabs.

A woman on TT thinks Jeremy Pope is taking 5th spot.

by Anonymousreply 226December 26, 2022 5:23 PM

OFGS, R219, Lighten up, Francis. Such a boring pedant.

by Anonymousreply 227December 26, 2022 5:45 PM

Not true, r222. Colin is a recent top-seed.

Critics may have taken issue with Baz's directing, with Tom Hanks as the Colonel, and with the plot, but not with Austin's performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228December 26, 2022 5:56 PM

R228 yes. And the reward is giving him an Oscar nomination. Many performances have been praised critically and aren’t getting and Oscar nod. The reward is the nomination. He isn’t winning.

by Anonymousreply 229December 26, 2022 5:57 PM

A lot of American's don't really understand Irish humour. It's an aquired taste.

by Anonymousreply 230December 26, 2022 6:02 PM

Austin Butler has never so much as shown his arse for the camera so he doesn't deserve to win anything. Selfish little shit

by Anonymousreply 231December 26, 2022 7:29 PM

I asked my Irish friend from Ireland if he thought it was an oscar worthy performance and he said "no"

by Anonymousreply 232December 26, 2022 9:13 PM

Are there actual depictions of banshees in this movie because that’s the film I want.

by Anonymousreply 233December 26, 2022 9:27 PM

R225 Well, it's just reality that the Oscars (and many other institutions) have acknowledged that their past is racist, or at the least, has privileged white actors. That's just the industry, too. Acting affirmatively to address that history by looking for diversity in their nominees is reality. It means if there is a black actor who deserves a nomination but might not otherwise be nominated, the Academy might tip the scales in his favor.

I am old school. I don't think affirmative action is a bad thing. I don't think being clear about the benefits of expanded representation is a bad thing,

by Anonymousreply 234December 26, 2022 10:50 PM

R233, Really? That's your concern? No, there are no traditional banshees, although the taciturn seer Mrs. McCormick effectively serves as one. The movie's title refers to the musical composition Colm is writing. He likes the "sh" alliteration.

by Anonymousreply 235December 27, 2022 3:07 AM

Spoilers ahead:

I think there was a happy ending for the Colin Farrell character: he finally had that most cherished Irish thing, a grudge to last a lifetime

No more worrying about why Colm doesn’t like him anymore, or whether he’ll ever like him again. A weight has be lifted off his shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 236December 27, 2022 3:44 AM

Is Colin Farrell’s character supposed to be a homosexualist? Why isn’t he married or at least pursuing or interested in women?

by Anonymousreply 237December 27, 2022 8:06 PM

R236, My memory of the ending is that Colm thanks Padraic for saving Colm's dog from the fire, and Padraic replies, "Any time." He departs saying that he'll see Colm tomorrow at 2:00.

That is not holding a grudge!

by Anonymousreply 238December 27, 2022 9:25 PM

Will Colin win the Golden Globe ?

by Anonymousreply 239December 27, 2022 10:39 PM

Collin and Brendan are both winning the GG.

by Anonymousreply 240December 27, 2022 10:40 PM

[quote]My memory of the ending is that Colm thanks Padraic for saving Colm's dog from the fire, and Padraic replies, "Any time." He departs saying that he'll see Colm tomorrow at 2:00.

Your memory is faulty.

In the ending scene at the beach, Colm apologizes for inadvertently killing Jenny, and tells Pádraic he supposes they are even now, given that Pádraic burned down his house. Pádraic responds that they only would have been even if Colm burned with the house.

Colm remarks that he hears the Civil War will end soon. Pádraic responds that they will be fighting again soon, he’s sure. “Some things there’s no moving on from. And I think that’s a good thing," signaling that he is not willing to let bygones by bygones.

Pádraic walks away. Colm calls out to thank Pádraic for looking after his dog, and Pádraic responds, “Any time.”

by Anonymousreply 241December 27, 2022 11:56 PM

I just learned from a New York Times crossword puzzle that a female donkey is called a Jenny.

Small world…!

by Anonymousreply 242December 28, 2022 2:01 AM

Is there any chance Colin loses the Golden Globe?

by Anonymousreply 243December 28, 2022 9:42 AM

Depends who is performing at Diego Calva’s nomination party.

by Anonymousreply 244December 28, 2022 10:16 AM

R243, No, because the GPS split "Best Actor" into 2 categories: "Drama" and "Musical or Comedy."

I predict Austin Butler will win the former, and Colin the latter.

R241, Right you are. Thank you for getting me to re-watch the ending, as I obviously had a "memory" of it that was the polar opposite of the film, such was the power of my psychology on my consciousness.

by Anonymousreply 245December 28, 2022 5:56 PM

R243, Ha! Auto-correct made GGs into GPS!

by Anonymousreply 246December 28, 2022 5:56 PM

Austin Butler was placed into Drama instead of Musical or Comedy so he doesn’t have to go against Colin. They think he has a better shot against Brendan than Colin.

by Anonymousreply 247December 28, 2022 8:42 PM

The HFPA generally doesn't put musical biopics in the Comedy/Musical category anymore. In recent years, only Rocketman earned a place in that category because it has actual musical numbers; its performances weren't limited to when Elton John was on stage.

Judy and Bohemian Rhapsody all competed in drama, as did A Star is Born (not a biopic, but a drama about musicians).

by Anonymousreply 248December 28, 2022 9:02 PM

R247, Please. "Banshees" is at least as much "Drama" as "Elvis." And "Elvis" would fit "Musical" as well as "Banshees" suits "Comedy."

If favors are being done for Austin, somebody needs to step up his or her game.

by Anonymousreply 249December 29, 2022 1:11 AM

If it comes to Farrell, Cruise, and Fraser, I would think Farrell would win.

I think Fraser's out of the running because as much as people like performance hw wore a fat suit (which makes the woke furious) despite the fact he is seriously overweight, and the film is unpopular even if the performance has been acclaimed.

Cruise might win for the fact that the film made so much money and because Hollywood feels they really owe him, but they gave it to Will Smith for the same reasons last year and it bit Hollywood in the ass. Moreover, this just wasn;t a serious performance from him. Even Smith really workd at "King Richard" and John Wayne really exercised himself for "true Grit."

I think it's Farrell's to lose. People in Hollywood really respect him because (1) he's a genuinely good actor, and (2) because he really grew up after being an irresponsible wastrel during his early career. I think it will help he also did other very fine work this year in two other films.

by Anonymousreply 250December 29, 2022 1:22 AM

R250 are you speaking about the Oscars?

by Anonymousreply 251December 29, 2022 1:38 AM

R250, I think it's between Farrell and Butler, and it's probably closer than you think. Butler may be on the young side for a Best Actor winner, but he's playing Elvis Presley in an era where big celebrity impersonations win Oscars and smaller scale, more intimate performances like Farrell's have a tougher time. Casey Affleck was the last comparable winner in that category, but he wasn't up against a transformative impression of a famous person. I hope Farrell wins and think he still has a great shot based on the factors you mention, but his win would definitely buck recent voting trends.

Tom might still get an Oscar this year if Top Gun: Maverick wins Best Picture, and it amazes me that it's still a legitimate possibility.

by Anonymousreply 252December 29, 2022 1:43 AM

WB needs to re-release "Elvis" for a bit.

After all, its summer companion, "TG: M," is getting that treatment.

People forget.

by Anonymousreply 253December 29, 2022 1:49 AM

[quote]I think Fraser's out of the running because as much as people like performance hw wore a fat suit (which makes the woke furious)

Don't be an idiot, the character is 600 lbs.

by Anonymousreply 254December 29, 2022 3:15 AM

AMPAS doesn’t give a shit about the “woke”. See The Green Book a few years ago. The majority of the articles that criticized The Whale for its use of a fat suit and the portrayal of fat people went over like a lead balloon and backfired. No one in their right mind expected Fraser to weigh 600lbs in order to play the character and even fat or formerly fat people said in the comments that the idea that someone can be happy or healthy weighing 600lbs was ridiculous and destructive. In other words the “woke” authors of these articles were full of shit and didn’t know what they were talking about.

by Anonymousreply 255December 29, 2022 3:23 AM

The thing that hurts Fraser the most is that comeback stories in Lead Actor almost always fail if you weren’t considered that great in the first place. It didn’t work for Mickey Rourke. It didn’t even work for Michael Keaton, and he was in the Best Picture winner.

Fraser is still the guy best known for The Mummy and George of the Jungle. It’s not like he’s someone who just hasn’t been nominated in ages but is still well-respected like a Ralph Fiennes or Ed Harris.

by Anonymousreply 256December 29, 2022 3:47 AM

Austin Butler isn’t winning. The only award he has a shot at winning is the GG

by Anonymousreply 257December 29, 2022 3:54 AM

Austin Butler looked more like a New Romantic of the 1980s than he did the coarser Elvis, and just didn't have the "it" factor that Elvis did.

Kurt Russell and Michael St. Gerard as Elvis were both better. Here's Kurt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258December 29, 2022 4:04 AM

I don;t think you have to look just like a historical figure to do a great job as that figure. Look at Claire Foy's hugely acclaimed portrayal of Elizabeth II--she looked very little like her.

I think what's going to hurt Butler more is that 1) no one had heard of him before he did Elvis, and 2) it wasn't a very visible film (it just didn't do that well critically or at the BO)

by Anonymousreply 259December 29, 2022 4:18 AM

Elvis made $150 million at the domestic box office, R259. That dwarfs any other film with a Best Actor contender except for Maverick. The Whale and Banshees won’t crack $10 million, and they’re blockbusters compared to the other contenders like Aftersun or Living.

His youth does hurt Butler, but visibility is one of the biggest points in his favor.

by Anonymousreply 260December 29, 2022 4:38 AM

R259, Your ignorance about the Box Office bears a second correction, it's so maddening.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261December 29, 2022 6:54 AM

And again:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262December 29, 2022 6:54 AM

Moreover, the Billboard headline above (r261), as good as it is, is incorrect:

The headline refers to some weird "US & Canada" statistic. World-wide, "Elvis" is in second place only to the behemoth "Bohemian Rhapsody" (which had the advantage of having two original members yet touring) in terms of music-related biopics.

by Anonymousreply 263December 29, 2022 7:09 AM

I wonder if Rami could win against Colin. Because Rami sure wasn't better than Austin.

by Anonymousreply 264December 29, 2022 7:10 AM

BTW, OP, "incandescent" isn't owned by Colin:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265December 29, 2022 7:12 AM

Wow R258 Kurt looks stunning there

by Anonymousreply 266December 29, 2022 9:33 AM

Loved this film. I have watched it twice. My favorite since Power of the Dog. Many memorable scenes, but my favorite is Kerry Condon in that yellow coat. I hope she and Colin both win Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 267December 29, 2022 10:01 AM

I thought Power Of The Dog was as overrated as Marriage Story.

by Anonymousreply 268December 29, 2022 10:04 AM

R267, "Many memorable scenes"? Like other movies don't have "memorable scenes"? "Kerry Condon in that yellow coat"? I don't recall; when was it? What did this scene (and "that" yellow coat) contribute to the film?

Jenny was more memorable to me, being both a crucial plot element and the means through which the two main characters changed, for good or ill, to wit:

I can believe his trauma could bring out the black in Padraic's nature*. But the change in Colm is less credible, all wrinkly-faced expression of sorrow notwithstanding. I guess there's no accounting for epiphanies**.

*Colin gives good glower here at the end. For direct acting comparison, I recommend the final Las Vegas scene of Austin Butler, as a propped-up-by-injection Elvis excoriates Col. Parker from the stage prior to firing him.

**I wonder now if I haven't just had one of me own, like. For there is another story of humans who, isolated on an island but with war looming in the background, experience changes in their normally "nice" and sensitive natures. How one speaks only by holding the talisman of permission. How brutality surfaces to separate, harm, and even cause the death of both them and animals. How their harmonic music devolves to a bloodied tune. How at the end the remaining are unsure of their futures, having been shown the worst of themselves.

Feckin hell if ye don't see it!

by Anonymousreply 269December 29, 2022 12:11 PM

R259 Elvis did great at the box office lmao. How old are you? You must think the money superhero movies make is the norm.

No.

by Anonymousreply 270December 29, 2022 12:26 PM

R264 Rami happened a few years ago. Move on. You’re stuck in 2018.

by Anonymousreply 271December 29, 2022 12:27 PM

The Power of the Dog was a good movie but highly overpraised. Marriage Story was bullshit. It wasn’t good, the acting was just ok, and the writing wasn’t very good either. It honestly felt like a tv movie being overpraised.

And look at how quickly it was forgotten. I remember people saying it’s going to be another classic like Kramer vs Kramer. Nope. Kramer vs Kramer is still beloved. Marriage Story is forgotten within a year.

by Anonymousreply 272December 29, 2022 12:30 PM

And as much as I like Laura Dern, her win was a career win. Which I don’t mind, but I honestly found her to be the weakest in her category.

by Anonymousreply 273December 29, 2022 12:31 PM

R273 totally agree, she did nothing memorable in a nothing role. All I remember was her winding up the Scarlett character and her ridiculously high heels

by Anonymousreply 274December 29, 2022 12:44 PM

Hear hear R272 R273 There were two memorable scenes in Marriage Story, when Driver tells his wife he wishes she'd die then breaks down in tears and his performance of "Being Alive". The rest of the movie is entirely unremarkable.

by Anonymousreply 275December 29, 2022 12:52 PM

R271, Are you really that dense that you think comparing the Best Actor winner of the biggest Box-Office music bio-pic to a probable nominee for that same award and lead of the SECOND- biggest Box Office music bio-pic, is something that should not be done because of the passage of a bit of time?

Do you even know where you ARE? This is DL, where stars from the 40s (not their 40s, THE 40s) are compared to current actors ALL THE TIME. So why don't YOU move along, Toots?

by Anonymousreply 276December 29, 2022 11:36 PM

Paragraph 2 is for r271:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277December 30, 2022 2:07 PM

R277 that article has nothing to do with Rami.

by Anonymousreply 278December 30, 2022 2:11 PM

I saw this video and A. It made me sad, and B. It’s so true.

Idk how some of you don’t understand what Padraic is feeling. It’s hurtful. Especially when that person who drops you doesn’t give you a reason.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279December 30, 2022 4:24 PM

And to add salt to the wound, he killed your only true friend, Little Jenny.

by Anonymousreply 280December 30, 2022 5:44 PM

OMG, r278. Reading comprehension?

R271 "advised" me basically that comparing Rami's performance to Austin's was illogical because "Rami happened a few years ago."

In my linked article at r277, PARAGRAPH 2, the DIRECT COMPARISON is made Moreover, the article goes on to analyze respective industry recognition, prior awards, etc. Taron Egerton is included.

by Anonymousreply 281December 30, 2022 5:50 PM

R279, Who here doesn't "understand what Padraic is feeling"?** There is massive betrayal and loss in "Elvis," too, and it's not fiction. The comparison for the Academy is in the portrayals.

** I had a similar experience with a best friend/college roommate right after graduation. Without the boring details, I overheard her telling an anecdote unflattering to me, just to get a laugh from some other friends/acquaintances.

It broke my heart. I didn't speak to her again for seven years.

I understand Padraic.

by Anonymousreply 282December 30, 2022 6:00 PM

Elvis didn't feel like a movie to me; just an over-edited jumpcut montage of highlights of E's life. None of the scenes were long enough to have any emotional heft or require any acting, just impersonation.

Banshees, OTOH, reminded me of what movies used to be.

by Anonymousreply 283December 30, 2022 6:17 PM

How did his sister go to Ireland, wrote a letter and then that letter got to him all in less than 24 hours?

by Anonymousreply 284December 30, 2022 9:56 PM

Dominic is a carbon copy of the character “Methadone Mick” on the Scottish sitcom “Still Game” (which is hilarious and is available on Netflix)

by Anonymousreply 285December 30, 2022 10:03 PM

R284 are you joking?

The letter wasn’t 24 hours later.

by Anonymousreply 286December 30, 2022 10:08 PM

Wouldn't he bleed to death after cutting off four of his fingers? Or pass out after a finger or two?

by Anonymousreply 287December 30, 2022 10:23 PM

I’m sick of actors winning awards for celebrity biopics. They’re such Oscar-bait (that Oscar can’t resist).

by Anonymousreply 288December 30, 2022 11:24 PM

R288 hence why Brad Pitt wanted Kurt Cobain so bad.

by Anonymousreply 289December 30, 2022 11:26 PM

R176 The cop said that to her, not a woman

by Anonymousreply 290December 30, 2022 11:59 PM

R287, Nah. He might've had a friend put on wee tourniquets using Colm's now-pointless fiddle strings!

by Anonymousreply 291December 31, 2022 3:06 AM

Colin is really good in AFTER YANG, as well. And looks great—has a nice brief shirtless scene. Totally different performance, but another “quiet” performance.

by Anonymousreply 292December 31, 2022 4:02 AM

R218 There were many more comedic lines in the movie

by Anonymousreply 293December 31, 2022 6:51 PM

That ghoul little witch waving to Siobhán to join her over the lake, was creepy as hell.

by Anonymousreply 294December 31, 2022 6:57 PM

Okay, fine; I'm not checking. But if a poll were taken of its audiences as to whether or not "BoI" is a comedy or a tragedy, what do you think the majority would say?

Because the movie is a weird hybrid, the wisecracking among the sad. Ultimately, however, it offers at the ending neither a hopeful note (literally or figuratively) nor a catharsis (there having been no fall of a man of hig rank).

All is still not right with the world. Thus, given Awards categories, I would come down on the side of Drama.

by Anonymousreply 295December 31, 2022 8:58 PM

A weird hybrid is exactly what a black comedy is r295. If you can’t understand that humor this isn’t for you.

by Anonymousreply 296December 31, 2022 9:04 PM

Can someone tell the Asterisk Queen to give it a fucking rest with the unnecessary asterisks, please?

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 297January 2, 2023 10:06 AM

R292, Colin Farrell’s handsome, good looks is the only reason to watch After Yang. He’s total sex on a stick in that movie, the rest of which is just, meh.

by Anonymousreply 298January 2, 2023 10:08 AM

R296, Of course I understand what a black comedy is. I like gallows humor. Such knowledge and appreciation however, doesn't mean one must think "Banshees" succeeds in it.

Wikipedia calls this movie a "tragicomedy." But there is no catharsis as required by the tragedy part, and there is no "happy ending" as required by the comedy.

As for whoever said this is how movies used to be: Not as a general rule, I don't think.

by Anonymousreply 299January 2, 2023 12:15 PM

I think this might be the best Martin McDonagh's movie. I slightly prefer it even to In Bruges. Both movies are better than Three Billboards... Seven Psychopaths is by far his worst movie.

by Anonymousreply 300January 2, 2023 5:04 PM

Colin's own description of "Banshees."

He accepts it is a dark comedy, but adds, "emphasis on 'dark'."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301January 6, 2023 3:42 AM

Just thought I’d help you guys out in understanding this movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302January 6, 2023 1:08 PM

You're kidding, right, r302? This is a superficial "analysis" at best, and nothing any of us here didn't grasp from the get-go.

by Anonymousreply 303January 6, 2023 1:35 PM

I thought Brendan and Colin are worthy winners of the Oscars this year. Kerry and Barry were also outstanding but may be bested by "bigger" performances this year.

by Anonymousreply 304January 6, 2023 7:27 PM

I still can't believe he was responsible for "Seven Psychopaths," which is like hackwork by a Tarantino wannabe.

by Anonymousreply 305January 6, 2023 7:32 PM

I thought burning down the house was a bit much for the accidental killing of Jenny

by Anonymousreply 306January 6, 2023 7:33 PM

R306 It wasn't just that. It was all the things that lead to it. It was the moment that he snapped.

by Anonymousreply 307January 6, 2023 9:49 PM

As r307 states. Because now Padraic was well and truly alone.

by Anonymousreply 308January 6, 2023 11:52 PM

They lived on an island in Ireland. The sister got on a boat and moved to a town on the mainland. It would have been no big deal to join her but the island mentality kept people trapped. Also everyone was very poor.

I appreciated the film even though the ending didn’t really work. I hated the witch character. Happy that Colin won the GG. Hope it sets him up for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 309January 11, 2023 4:25 AM

The old guy gave a wonderful performance as well.

by Anonymousreply 310January 11, 2023 4:31 AM

i will see it if it shows colins ass only.

by Anonymousreply 311January 11, 2023 6:16 AM

OP is Greg, and this movie gave him more pleasure than a cod poached with prunes!

by Anonymousreply 312January 11, 2023 6:20 AM

R311 Jenny is on screen multiple times X

by Anonymousreply 313January 11, 2023 7:03 AM

colin has lost his sexy glow.... alas.

by Anonymousreply 314January 11, 2023 11:11 AM

Colin looks fine, he's in his mid-forties and heading toward 50. How long was he supposed to keep the sexy up?

by Anonymousreply 315January 11, 2023 2:24 PM

Apparently, r315, long enough to snare Ana de Armas!

by Anonymousreply 316January 11, 2023 2:30 PM

I hope he wins the rest of the big awards for a brilliant performance, plus he seems like a good guy

by Anonymousreply 317January 11, 2023 6:50 PM

Austin and Brendan also seem like good guys. Totally irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 318January 15, 2023 2:40 PM

mr farrell refuses to wipe after defecating. Why ??

by Anonymousreply 319January 15, 2023 3:08 PM

I think Austin Butler has this all wrapped up. His performance is faultless and the film really accumulates a lot of power in the 2nd half. That film (and director, Baz Luhrman) just demanded everything of him and he gave it. The Vegas scenes were just phenomenal.

It’s great Colin Farrell will get a nomination but he is not the front runner.

by Anonymousreply 320January 18, 2023 9:51 PM

Colin is the front runner alongside Brendan Fraser, Austin is a close third. Colin has won nearly every regional critics award for Best Actor in the country, the vast majority of them.

Austin gave a great performance but is very young and has never headlined a major film previously. The nomination will be his reward.

by Anonymousreply 321January 18, 2023 10:44 PM

If Colin gets the "Best Actor" Oscar, "Best Supporting" should go to his eyebrows, which did 3/4 of the acting.

by Anonymousreply 322January 20, 2023 10:20 PM

R320 lol are you Austin's agent? R321 is correct

by Anonymousreply 323January 20, 2023 10:46 PM

he aint been incandescent in 25 yrs......

by Anonymousreply 324January 21, 2023 5:56 PM

In the literal sense, Colin is charming the critics and voters.

by Anonymousreply 325January 21, 2023 9:14 PM

Farrell is excellent but this is a real slow burner of a film. It’s a small story of small island. There are typical Irish humor moments. Gorgeous filming.

All in all though, I really didn’t need to see this

by Anonymousreply 326January 22, 2023 3:34 AM

Does Colin really look that bad or did he lose weight for the role?

by Anonymousreply 327January 22, 2023 3:35 AM

He’s aging naturally. Good for him. R326 sorry you feel that way. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 328January 22, 2023 3:36 AM

It’s interesting the path that Farrell has taken with his career. He seems to only do art films nowadays, when he could have been a leading romantic man.

by Anonymousreply 329January 22, 2023 3:36 AM

I think he looks great for 46, especially considering all the smoking and drinking in his youth.

And I agree he's more interested in being a character actor than a leading man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330January 22, 2023 3:38 AM

The art films were not a choice. Studio films don’t cast him anymore. They may now after all this but they stopped after a string of big flops. His career also slowed down post sex tape.

by Anonymousreply 331January 22, 2023 3:38 AM

r329 he was bogged down by gay rumours and then a sex tape mysteriously appeared, then ended up with a black woman (a stereotype in itself folllowing these kinds of allegations) plus he was getting cancelled by the social justice mob of the time for his work of playing bigots and those inspiring actual bigots.

It's likely, too, that with all the drama thrown at him... someone really had it out for him. I'd guess Russell Crowe or Ewan "I'm hired for my cock" McGregor

by Anonymousreply 332January 22, 2023 3:41 AM

His being with a black woman was never ever an issue people brought up about him… maybe your racist ass but not the general public. His sex tape was watched and most said she was beautiful

by Anonymousreply 333January 22, 2023 3:44 AM

r333 yes it was, not just the sex tape but the relationship... others would point to the likes of Bowie for this and the singer from Clann Zu. There's even been term papers on the subject. It's runs under the theory that it's the ultimate smokescreen to present hyper masculinity because black women are so sexualized in white society.

by Anonymousreply 334January 22, 2023 3:47 AM

Hmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 335January 22, 2023 3:52 AM

It was OK. I don't see why it is getting such high praise. The acting was adequate.

by Anonymousreply 336January 22, 2023 4:19 AM

To you…

by Anonymousreply 337January 22, 2023 4:20 AM

Oh c'mon r337. Acting like a dullard? Gleeson playing the curmudgeon? What was "incandescent"?

by Anonymousreply 338January 22, 2023 4:23 AM

I doubt that’s how he really looks now. He was weathered for the character he plays.

by Anonymousreply 339January 22, 2023 4:43 AM

[quote]The art films were not a choice. Studio films don’t cast him anymore.

Since the sex tape dropped in 2005, he's done at least six studio films I can think of off the top of my head. Three for Warner Bros. and three for Disney. And that doesn't count the ones he's done for other divisions of the big studios like Focus or New Line.

by Anonymousreply 340January 22, 2023 4:58 AM

R338 TO YOU. That is an opinion. Not a fact.

by Anonymousreply 341January 22, 2023 12:45 PM

And your opinion isn't a fact either r341. Calm down, toots.

by Anonymousreply 342January 22, 2023 12:52 PM

R342 correct. I never said it was. But you state yours as if it is. That’s the difference.

by Anonymousreply 343January 22, 2023 12:53 PM

R340 and how many of them have been financially lucrative? The first Horrible Bosses may be the only one and that had nothing to do with him. It was an ensemble comedy.

by Anonymousreply 344January 22, 2023 12:55 PM

Miami Vice (2006) was his first release post-sex tape.. It earned $163.7 million. It cost $135 million to make (without promotional costs). AND it actually cost closer to $150 million to make because they famously went over-budget.

$63.4 million US/ $100.3 million International

Pride and Glory (2008) earned $31.2 million worldwide after being made for $30 million (without promotional costs).

$15.7 million US/ $15.4 million International

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009) earned $61.8 million worldwide after being made for $30 million (without promotional costs).

$7.6 million US/ $54.1 million International

Fright Night (2011) earned $41 million worldwide after being made for $30 million (without promotional costs).

$18.3 million US/ $22.7 million International

Total Recall (2012) earned $198.4 million worldwide after being made for $125 million (without promotional costs).

$58.8 million US/ $139.5 million International

That is just some of the big studio films. Most of them were small films. Horrible Bosses 1 was a hit, the sequel flopped. Fantastic Beasts was a hit but again, had nothing to do with him. Most of the films he carried post-sex tape did not do well in the states.

by Anonymousreply 345January 22, 2023 1:13 PM

R334, And how would you know, and more importantly why would any adult care, about the subjects of "term papers," a phrase that refers to student writing?

Colin maybe is establishing himself in his middle age (46) as an ensemble actor, specifically with Brendan Gleeson, emphasizing this on SNL, ostensibly only Brendan's gig that night. He has no love interest in "Banshees."

by Anonymousreply 346January 22, 2023 2:08 PM

I want to see these “term papers” r334 created in his mind.

by Anonymousreply 347January 22, 2023 2:11 PM

I can't believe there really is an Austin Butler Must Win the Oscar for Elvis Troll.

by Anonymousreply 348January 22, 2023 2:12 PM

The issue wasn't whether his films were successful or if he was the lead. R331 stated that studio films didn't cast him anymore, as if his only options were small indie art films. That's not true.

In addition to the list in R345, he was also cast in "Saving Mr Banks", "Dumbo" and "Artemis Fowl" for Disney, "Winter's Tale" and "The Batman" for Warners, "In Bruges" for Focus, "Crazy Heart" and "The Banshees of Inisherin" for Searchlight, "Roman J Israel, Esq" for Columbia, "Widows" for New Regency, "After Yang" and "The Killing of a Sacred Deer" for A24, and "The Gentlemen" for Miramax.

by Anonymousreply 349January 22, 2023 2:47 PM

R349 some of those like “After Yang” and “The Killing of Sacred Deer” are low budget. They aren’t major releases. Proving my point that he wasn’t cast in many big studio high budget films after.

Some of you need to take a class on films since you want to argue all the time.

He was also supporting in a handful of them.

Also, movies like Dumbo FLOPPED. Again, proving my point.

by Anonymousreply 350January 22, 2023 2:53 PM

PS films like The Killing of Sacred Deer were bought and distributed by the studio. The studio didn’t make the film. They didn’t cast the film. They bought the film after it was made. Not the same as say, Dumbo.

by Anonymousreply 351January 22, 2023 2:56 PM

Your point wasn't that he is in movies that flop or that he isn't being cast in high budget films. Your point was that he isn't being cast in studio movies. But he clearly is.

by Anonymousreply 352January 22, 2023 2:57 PM

Who gives a shit? He's proven himself to be one of the finest actors of his generation, not just a pretty partyboy. And he'll soon have an Oscar

by Anonymousreply 353January 22, 2023 3:48 PM

I'm Team Fraser but I worry if he wins he'll have a breakdown before he gets to the stage

by Anonymousreply 354January 22, 2023 4:53 PM

I'm Team Fraser as well. He portrayed a sense of kindness and vulnerability in his character so convincingly. But I wouldn't be mad if Colin won.

by Anonymousreply 355January 22, 2023 5:08 PM

[quote]Proving my point that he wasn’t cast in many big studio high budget films after.

The Batman budget: $200 million

Dumbo budget: $170 million

Winter's Tale budget: $75 million

by Anonymousreply 356January 22, 2023 5:16 PM

Colin continues to win nearly all of the regional small critics group awards. That doesn't mean he's necessarily the front runner for the Oscar, but it helps his narrative going into the voting period.

The BAFTAs will be a key harbinger, the week before. There's huge overlap between that voting bloc and AMPAS, if he takes Best Actor there it really enhances his chances. Fraser could still squeak by, but it would mean it was a very close race.

by Anonymousreply 357January 22, 2023 5:25 PM

I think Lady Irony will work her wiles and the Irishman will win his feckin' BAFTA.

by Anonymousreply 358January 22, 2023 8:33 PM

OTOH:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359January 22, 2023 11:03 PM

Late to the party on this.

Few questions/notes:

1. Colm seemed to be a good decade or two older than Padraig--was it ever explained how they came to be friends?

2. Padraig never seemed to mind the lack of female companionship?

3. The priest asking Colm if he had impure thoughts about Padraig would seem to imply the priest is gay himself? Or knew lots of gay priests?

4. Dominic seemed more "off" than "slow" - no idea what the diagnosis on that would be, maybe some form or autism?

5. The analogy to the Irish Civil War seemed a big ham-fisted though few on here seemed to have picked up on it, so maybe not? (Unclear why they are 'rowing', one side cutting off its fingers to prove a point, the ending that says they'll never really finish rowing....

6. Siobhan never discussed leaving with Padroig, she just got the letter with the job offer and decided to leave?

7. What does Colm do for a living? And where did he get all those masks?

by Anonymousreply 360February 20, 2023 3:59 PM

1. Small village, hard not to be.

2. Not part of the story.

3. Duh!

4. Does it matter?

5. What?! The connection escaped NOBODY, here or elsewhere, and thinking it had says more about your own thought processes. I mean, the sounds of war on the mainland were clear, and so was the metaphor.

6. An independent woman. Whattaya gonna do?

7. He plays and writes music. He owns a sheep-herding dog, implying shepherding. Perhaps bartering on the mainland.

by Anonymousreply 361February 21, 2023 7:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!