Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Visit this NY tribute to the owner’s Minnesota farmland youth

[quote] He explains that “the whole inspiration is kind of a midwestern ranchhouse family room in the basement.”

I believe him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 9, 2022 11:54 PM

Sadly, Steven Hammel looks exactly like what you would expect a Minnesota Farmland middle-aged man to look like.

by Anonymousreply 1December 8, 2022 1:17 PM

Why? Why not just move back to that shithole?

by Anonymousreply 2December 8, 2022 1:28 PM

He's got a lot of the right items for a middle- or working-class home in the mid 1970s which still used plenty of stuff from the 1950s, but no one had THAT MUCH stuff. If you look at retro photos from the period, one of the most notable things about the past is that people simply didn't own as much furniture or decor as today.

Those styles wouldn't have been popular in the 1950s-1970s if people had crowded or cluttered homes in general. The loud floral upholstery, the cars and ships and flowers nailed to the walls, the orange accent panels only work if there's a limited amount of it.

by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2022 1:37 PM

He has a picture of Melissa Gilbert as Laura in his living room, so he's probably on DL right now. And probably fun to know.

by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2022 3:14 PM

Sometimes, when people have no means to do something even remotely well, they resort to kitsch presented as irony.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2022 3:55 PM

I’m gonna place my bets, he’s reading this over coffee as we speak….

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2022 3:58 PM

I like it. Yes, its tacky and kitsch but its fun and interesting, and a massive improvement on the "all-white apartment" he describes it as being when he moved in initially

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2022 4:28 PM

Where’s the “Etc.” sign?

by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2022 4:38 PM

It makes me anxious. I don’t like a lot of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 9December 8, 2022 4:53 PM

^^ I agree. But he’s a theater artist. He must like to keep his eyes busy.

by Anonymousreply 10December 8, 2022 4:56 PM

He nailed the Sear's Catalog fireplace

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2022 5:31 PM

^I love that red fireplace.

by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2022 5:58 PM

He set a goal and accomplished it

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2022 6:01 PM

[quote]“The headboard is a wall sticker"

I was going to say that there is nothing in this house I don't recognize from my own childhood, but there is one thing I've never seen before: a stick-on faux headboard.

by Anonymousreply 14December 8, 2022 6:03 PM

I do love the fake wall mounted fireplace and if I had a spot in my basement I'd install one. My grandma had one in her basement, along with a wet bar, pool table and half-wall knotty pine paneling with a high shellac shine.

by Anonymousreply 15December 8, 2022 6:04 PM

Looks like he used an old Sear's catalog for the entire apartment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 8, 2022 6:14 PM

This looks like somewhere Any Sedalia would live.

Fun to visit but it would be like living on a stage set after a few days.

by Anonymousreply 17December 8, 2022 6:20 PM

Sedaris

by Anonymousreply 18December 8, 2022 6:21 PM

Amy.

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2022 6:29 PM

More a Pee Wee Herman vibe than Amy. Relentlessness is never the answer in a space where one lives and theoretically entertains others. This thing is exactly like Catherine O’Hara’s Beetlejuice house. Wait, let’s not give this guy any new ideas.

by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2022 7:01 PM

Tell me you were molested by your Midwestern grandpa without telling me you were molested by your Midwestern grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 21December 9, 2022 8:49 PM

The whole interior screams the 'shit brickhouse' troll.

by Anonymousreply 22December 9, 2022 8:55 PM

The interiors on White Christmas were much nicer.

by Anonymousreply 23December 9, 2022 9:54 PM

It's not to my taste.

by Anonymousreply 24December 9, 2022 10:38 PM

The dust accumulation must be next level.

by Anonymousreply 25December 9, 2022 10:41 PM

The article says the apartment has views. Seems like a waste.

by Anonymousreply 26December 9, 2022 10:52 PM

I grew up in Wisconsin and I knew plenty of people with that much stuff. I had a neighbor who covered every wall with antique rug beaters, coffee grinders, printer trays stuffed with more tiny shit, shaving mugs, beer steins, old advertisements just an explosion of old stuff

by Anonymousreply 27December 9, 2022 11:06 PM

I've apparently reached my curbed links monthly limit, but this guy has designed my two favorite apartments.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 9, 2022 11:23 PM

I wouldn’t want all of that tat and kitsch, but I will say there are some appealing details in that space, and I can understand the desire to replicate in NYC an environment recalled fondly from one’s youth. It looks a bit like a retreat. I would need the print materials in a more archival type setting, and I would remove much of the plastic and ornamental type things, but I almost like some of these colors. The vintage illustrations are pretty cool. Weirdly this makes me think of Douglas Sirk films’ set designs, but a little later and more cluttered. The home owner looks and seems like he might be a hot shit. I know that neighborhood and own a place near it, and the footprint of that apartment is good, and the light is nice, too.

by Anonymousreply 29December 9, 2022 11:32 PM

It may not be my taste but I appreciate his devotion to it.Its interesting, much more so than gray walls and blocky Ikea furniture.

by Anonymousreply 30December 9, 2022 11:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!