Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Boston Has Voted to Lower the Voting Age to 16

Young teens in Boston may head to the polls very soon.

The Boston City Council recently voted to lower the voting age from 18 to 16. This would make Boston the first major city in the United States to allow 16-year-olds to vote in municipal elections, but state and federal voting restrictions would remain the same.

City Councilor Julia Mejia said this move would help represent the many young people who are already working multiple jobs and making their voices heard by participating in protests.

“The notion that young people may not be mature enough to make decisions like this. . . often times it’s young people who are educating their parents and uncles and aunts and older folks about who’s running for office and why they should vote,” she said.

The proposal will now go to Mayor Michelle Wu before heading to Legislature. Other Massachusetts communities have tried to lower the voting age, but have yet to find any success. Let’s see if this one will make it happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 8, 2022 1:17 PM

I don't see the point. Few teenagers vote as it is. It seems like the propensity to vote increases with age. And tbh I don't think most 16 year olds know their ass from a hole in the ground, politically.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2022 9:35 PM

R1 young people in certain regions are more likely to vote blue over red. This is Boston trying to guarantee they stay blue from here on out and never go red again.

However, there are a lot of young Republicans also.

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2022 9:38 PM

So, that's the most cynical reason for passing the law.

Shame on them.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2022 9:41 PM

Who will tell them candidates names on election day?

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2022 9:51 PM

The Repugs always think that access to voting is partisan

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2022 9:52 PM

“Old enough to pee, old enough for me!”

by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2022 9:54 PM

16 is the new 18.

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2022 9:55 PM

Honestly, when I was 16 I was probably old enough to be a responsible voter, so this doesn't bother me too much. I have more problems with non-citizens voting in local elections.

by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2022 9:56 PM

[quote]I have more problems with non-citizens voting in local elections

I agree that is absurd. But if you're not old enough to drive by yourself or to have a drink, you probably aren't old enough to vote.

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2022 9:58 PM

Their parents will tell them who to vote for because they dgaf.

by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2022 10:17 PM

Now if we can go lower the age requirement for President to be below 80!

by Anonymousreply 11December 7, 2022 10:40 PM

Democrats will do anything for votes. In New York City, the Democratic City Council he decided that anyone with a Green Cards (a Non Citizen) will be able to vote in city elections.

by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2022 12:29 AM

R12 NYC doesn’t need to do anything to be blue.

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2022 12:30 AM

NYC is blue by default.

by Anonymousreply 14December 8, 2022 11:31 AM

And always will be R14.

There are things directly affecting teenagers now that they should be allowed to vote on. Gun rights for example. I absolutely would have voted at 16. I’m fine with this. Republicans will flip of course because the mass of under 18s will be Democrats.

by Anonymousreply 15December 8, 2022 11:55 AM

[quote]Honestly, when I was 16 I was probably old enough to be a responsible voter,

Not me.

by Anonymousreply 16December 8, 2022 12:24 PM

Obviously they don't know many 16 year olds.

by Anonymousreply 17December 8, 2022 12:26 PM

Teens care about political issues more than ever these days. Issues like mass shootings, climate change, and equality are very important to (most of) them .

by Anonymousreply 18December 8, 2022 12:29 PM

R12 and it was declared unconstitutional as soon as it was passed. It violated the state constitution which clearly limited voting in the state of NY to citizens. A very cynical move by the NYC City Council.

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2022 12:32 PM

This is dumb.

by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2022 12:33 PM

I remember when the voting age was lowered from 21 to 18. It had no discernible effect.

by Anonymousreply 21December 8, 2022 12:35 PM

Republicans will become very much in favor of this once they find a simple way to brainwash kids as easily as they've brainwashed their parents and grandparents.

by Anonymousreply 22December 8, 2022 12:35 PM

Let’s be real, most 16 year olds would be better voters than old (white especially) people who swung hard for Donald Trump and Herschel Walker.

by Anonymousreply 23December 8, 2022 12:38 PM

Lowered the age, you say?

by Anonymousreply 24December 8, 2022 12:40 PM

Brainwashing and indoctrination are the name of the game in schools at all grade levels and has been for a good two decades, R22.

by Anonymousreply 25December 8, 2022 1:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!