Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Post-War "Holiday Affair" 1949

One of the lesser known holiday films, "Holiday Affair" has its own charms. Namely, newcomers Janet Leigh, Robert Mitchum, & Wendell Corey in a post-war triangle. This modest movie has a more natural feel than some of the bigger yuletide-themed classics. Janet's lovely as the war widow & single mom and noir faves Mitchum & Corey are nice guys. Very appealing "Affair," my look here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2022 2:46 AM

I can't be a cunty R1 because I love this movie. Mitchum as a toy department clerk is so ridiculous, but it works. Who doesn't want some Mitchum for Christmas??

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2022 6:19 PM

Mitchum was so hot in the late 40s.

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2022 6:20 PM

Cute movie. Loved seeing the old department stores from the 1940’s. Also Janet Lee was so pretty. I can’t believe she was Jamie Lee Curtis’ mother.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2022 6:48 PM

Mitchum and Leigh in a cute clip, both looking mighty appealing, in "Holiday Affair."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2022 8:32 PM

This is a wonderful Holiday flick that I think has grown in reputation in recent years thanks to repeated annual showings on TCM.

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2022 8:43 PM

It's a terrific film, Mitchum was intentionally cast by Howard Hughes to soften his image after his marijuana arrest and conviction.

by Anonymousreply 6December 9, 2022 1:19 AM

Another holiday-themed movie of the same era (1947) that has gotten renewed respect due to TCM is "It Happened on Fifth Avenue," with Don DeFore, Gale Storm, Ann Harding, Victor Moore, and Charles Ruggles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 9, 2022 2:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!