Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kirk Cameron can’t speak at libraries

But drag queens can

[Quote] EXCLUSIVE: With a new children's book out that celebrates family, faith and biblical wisdom, actor-writer-producer Kirk Cameron cannot reach scores of American children or their families in many U.S. cities via the public library system because over 50 public libraries have either outright rejected him or not responded to requests on his behalf.

[Quote] Many of the same libraries that won't give Cameron a slot, however, are actively offering "drag queen" story hours or similar programs for kids and young people, according to Cameron's book publisher and according to a review of the libraries' websites and current program listings.

Sorry to link to fox.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 8, 2022 7:57 PM

Fuck Kirk Cameron.

Fuck Fox News.

And fuck OP for spreading this bullshit straight from Kirk Cameron's asshole publisher.

by Anonymousreply 1December 7, 2022 1:38 PM

His book is probably pure garbage

by Anonymousreply 2December 7, 2022 1:42 PM

Whatever the merits of his book, Kirk Cameron is pure garbage.

by Anonymousreply 3December 7, 2022 1:48 PM

In other news, Marie Osmond can't get a 9-figure multi-album deal.

And Bob Barker, 99, has few offers on the table for broadcast network TV game shows

by Anonymousreply 4December 7, 2022 1:48 PM

Can't he? GOOD.

by Anonymousreply 5December 7, 2022 1:59 PM

Drag queens aren’t going into public libraries to brainwash kids into religion, so good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 6December 7, 2022 2:04 PM

And congrats to you r1 for not wanting to know what the other side is talking about and why they hate us. Understanding your opponent is pretty crucial these days. But you know better. And are real classy to boot

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2022 2:05 PM

Fuck you, R7. We already know what the other side is talking about, and why they hate us. We know our opponents all too well. Cameron claiming Christian victimhood is just stupid, and there's no point in giving him any air.

by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2022 2:17 PM

Oh please. AS FUCKING IF. This turd wouldn’t be in any fucking library to promote his book if there was no “moral controversy.” This turd would be begging to sell at Barnes & Noble and likely be refused and would have to rely on independent right-wing religious fanatics to sell his book.

by Anonymousreply 9December 7, 2022 2:29 PM

Fuck off, OP R7. Not that it makes any difference but I FFed you with glee.

by Anonymousreply 10December 7, 2022 2:58 PM

[quote] And fuck OP

[quote] Fuck you

[quote] Fuck off, OP

The internet really brings out your class.

by Anonymousreply 11December 8, 2022 2:54 PM

Everyone should be able to be heard. Tolerance goes both ways.

by Anonymousreply 12December 8, 2022 3:02 PM

He can’t speak at libraries because they are Chock Full of Truth & Science & Reason

by Anonymousreply 13December 8, 2022 3:02 PM

Maybe his book sucks

by Anonymousreply 14December 8, 2022 3:05 PM

Cold calling a library and demanding a reading and then whining to the press about your victimhood is classic Fundie Grift.

They depend on dumb fucks like the morons on this thread to say "Well we have to hear both sides!"

As if a Fundie Dominionist and a drag queen are opposite sides of a coin.

Simpleminded bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 15December 8, 2022 3:09 PM

Intolerance of intolerance is not intolerant.

by Anonymousreply 16December 8, 2022 4:43 PM

And "biblical wisdom" is an oxymoron.

by Anonymousreply 17December 8, 2022 4:45 PM

[quote]Sorry to link to fox.

Bullshit, OP, you aren't in the least sorry. But thank you for being such a transparent troll.

by Anonymousreply 18December 8, 2022 4:47 PM

Kirk Cameron is extremely homophobic. Am I supposed to care?

by Anonymousreply 19December 8, 2022 4:48 PM

I thought Republicans are all about books being banned? Oh well, the library banned him. Too bad.

by Anonymousreply 20December 8, 2022 4:50 PM

At least the drag queens can read.

by Anonymousreply 21December 8, 2022 4:52 PM

The publishing company (Brave Books) sells its books to parents via subscription. I see that they are also for sale at Amazon, as paperbacks priced at $23.00, which is nuts. If I were still a public librarian, I would ask a lot of questions of the publisher about what their expectations of the program were. Was the author expecting to be paid? Was the library required to purchase books? Would attendees be subjected to a sales pitch for the monthly book club? Etc. the Fox article notes that librarians do ask these kinds of questions but it does not say how Brave Books answered them. I’m guessing the publisher’s “offer” made it unlikely that any library would accept.

Regardless of ideology, clueless small and self-publishers are the bane of librarians.

by Anonymousreply 22December 8, 2022 5:07 PM

Let’s celebrate traditional marriage this Christmas!

by Anonymousreply 23December 8, 2022 5:09 PM

@r12, "Tolerance goes both ways"

I've been Christian-tolerant my whole life when is it their turn? 😠

by Anonymousreply 24December 8, 2022 5:15 PM

Your only post, r12?

by Anonymousreply 25December 8, 2022 6:01 PM

Have you seen photos of him lately? He looks old. He’s finally lost his looks. So I don’t have any sympathy for him any longer.

by Anonymousreply 26December 8, 2022 6:42 PM

Is he going to try to convince us that the banana is proof of intelligent design again?

Cameron’s very existence is proof intelligent design is a hoax

by Anonymousreply 27December 8, 2022 7:10 PM

I really loved that whole idea. This fruit that major corporations spent decades perfecting is somehow proof of God.

Perfectly American.

by Anonymousreply 28December 8, 2022 7:17 PM

[quote]Kirk Cameron can’t speak at libraries

And?

by Anonymousreply 29December 8, 2022 7:20 PM

Can't he still tweet? And post on Facebook? And go on TV? And get these nonsense stories put in media outlets? He's not exactly been censored.

by Anonymousreply 30December 8, 2022 7:24 PM

To R7 & R12, as a library director I have to tell you the position that I would take and what a friend of mine (head of one of the targeted libraries) is going through. On its face, yes, this is about "tolerance," but it's not a this side/that side issue. The publishers of KC's book looked about to see which libraries offer programs that seem (but only seem) diametrically opposed to the themes of KC's book. Their argument is inherently false: they are saying that "the other side" of LGBT+ pride months and drag queen story times is God's word as revealed in this particular book. Therefore, they imply, the opposite of godliness is non-straight people and drag queens -- which is an art form that has been around forever. It is not a religious calling. (Heaven knows!) To call the publishers disingenuous and embodying the idea of acting in bad faith is an understatement.

What many libraries have done is to tell the publishers that they cannot have a story time (which is almost always a program conducted by degreed librarians and are roles often protected by unions or staff associations); they may, however, reserve a community room in which to discuss the book. This response is almost never You can see how they are twisting everything about the event -- saying that "woke" libraries won't hear the other side. Again, there is no "other side"! Additionally, library story times are generally instructive, educational, encouraging, tactile, and help develop motor skills in toddlers and young children. This book offers none of these goals; It is pitched as "anti-woke and against CRT." CRT! When the hell did CRT enter library program slates?!

The only narrative that is important to these people is the one that pushes the idea that (white) straight Christians are being victimized. The library as an institution does not victimize anyone. Often seen as staffed by the meek and introverted, push librarians around enough and you shall reap the whirlwind.

by Anonymousreply 31December 8, 2022 7:55 PM

^^This response is almost never part of reports. You can see....^^

by Anonymousreply 32December 8, 2022 7:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!