Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Avatar 2” is declared a visual masterpiece, better than the first

I’m excited now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 8, 2022 1:27 AM

I don't trust those first reactions, they're mostly always bought shills. Let's wait for the critics to have their say, there's no fucking way this is a quality movie, script-wise.

by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2022 11:31 PM

I hated the first one, I ain't going like this one either

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2022 11:35 PM

That looks like a painting. Is it a cartoon?

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2022 11:35 PM

I can’t believe all the SJWs haven’t cancelled it for cultural appropriation already.

by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2022 11:38 PM

The first film was unbelievably stupid and boring. I was braindead after I heard "unobtanium". Big loud stupid headache of a movie.

by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2022 11:39 PM

I am sure it will do great and the CGI will be beyond this world. You would think people would learn to trust James Cameron by now.

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2022 11:40 PM

[quote] I don't trust those first reactions, they're mostly always bought shills. Let's wait for the critics to have their say, there's no fucking way this is a quality movie, script-wise.

David Ehlrich is the chief critic at IndieWire

Avatar The Way of Water: lol imagine being dumb enough to bet against James Cameron. or teen alien Sigourney Weaver. or giant whales subtitled in papyrus.

light years better than the first & easily one of the best theatrical experiences in ages. streaming found dead in a ditch.

I was, uh, not exactly champing at the bit for an Avatar 2 (even if “James Cameron + wet” tends to work out pretty well). now I can’t *wait* to see Avatar 3. that’s basically all I wanted out of this and it delivered in a big way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2022 11:41 PM

Cameron always delivers. He knows how to put a film together. Even his lesser films hold some interest. Should be visually dazzling at the least. His heavy-handed scripts work, even at their clunkiest. I predict boffo biz, a reason to get out of the house and go to the theater for the holidays.

by Anonymousreply 8December 6, 2022 11:41 PM

I see the studio marketing people have arrived!

by Anonymousreply 9December 6, 2022 11:43 PM

I see the troll who hasn't seen the film or have any sense of what the public wants has arrived.

by Anonymousreply 10December 6, 2022 11:46 PM

Tail fuckin'!

by Anonymousreply 11December 6, 2022 11:47 PM

They said Cats was mind-blowing too...

by Anonymousreply 12December 6, 2022 11:49 PM

Cartoon film

by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2022 11:50 PM

Then it's perfect for Datalounge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2022 11:52 PM

I'm excited to see a film become a big box office hit that is not Marvel.

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2022 11:55 PM

R15 It’s ALL Disney so that hardly matters!

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2022 11:56 PM

R10 I see the resident cunt has arrived.

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2022 11:57 PM

I'll see it just to get the fuck away from annoying relatives. Spark up mary jane with the posse and have some fun.

by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2022 11:59 PM

I sincerely doubt you've ever seen a cunt, unless you've looked in the mirror R17.

by Anonymousreply 19December 7, 2022 12:06 AM

R19 I see you.

by Anonymousreply 20December 7, 2022 12:18 AM

Someone just said on Twitter that Neytiri dies. But no doubt she will be back as an African girl.

by Anonymousreply 21December 7, 2022 12:22 AM

And why would you post that spoiler here, asshole. F&F R21. Good thing I don’t recognize the name and will hopefully forget it in about a month when I go see this.

by Anonymousreply 22December 7, 2022 12:37 AM

Neytiri is the main character's girlfriend. The main character dies!

by Anonymousreply 23December 7, 2022 12:38 AM

NEYTIRI DIES!

by Anonymousreply 24December 7, 2022 12:42 AM

The main character dies.

by Anonymousreply 25December 7, 2022 12:42 AM

That's funny. Everyone lived in Titanic.

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2022 12:44 AM

Smurfette fucks Sam Worthington’s fliddy corpse.

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2022 12:45 AM

The Twitter reviewer also said Jake gets with Kate Winslut's character. She becomes his new girlfriend. A Titanic connection.

by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2022 12:46 AM

I hope a de-aged Robert Patrick show up and fucks the hell out of everybody.

by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2022 12:47 AM

The first film had zero cultural impact despite all the money it made. Nobody talks about it. Nobody quotes it. Other blockbuster films have entered the cultural zeitgeist and are still talked about to this day. Jaws, Star Wars, Aliens, Terminator, even Titanic. Avatar holds that special place where it made over a billion dollars yet you’d never know it happened.

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2022 12:53 AM

Avatar has made almost 3 billion to date, turd breath.

by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2022 1:07 AM

R31= James Cameron

by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2022 3:38 AM

I refuse to see such a naked pandering to Malay homosexuals with cyanosis.

by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2022 5:04 AM

What even is this film about? I have seen a few trailers and I literally still have no idea what the plot is supposed to be.

And before anyone tries to explain Pandora please don't. I saw the first movie. I just have no idea what the story for this one is supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2022 8:17 AM

How refreshing to see a movie trailer that doesn't GIVE AWAY EVERY SINLGE PLOT POINT to a braindead audience.

by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2022 8:21 AM

I felt I had had several birthdays watching the first one. Tall blue people with tails. Woo hoo!

by Anonymousreply 36December 7, 2022 9:14 AM

I came to say what R1 said. Since Wonder Woman 2, every major studio release has been met with insanely hyperbolic early reviews that have proved to be almost universally overturned by later reviews. WW2/1984 was heralded as better than the first, as "transcending the genre," yada yada, and it was an hour too long and terrible. It had something like a 98 on Metacritic the day it came out; it currently has a 60%.

More recently, Bros had something like an 88% the day it came out. Its Metacritic rating is now 72%.

The craziest of them to me is The Guardian's recent reviews of Amazon's Rings of Power.

This is from its August 31 original review:

[quote] The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power review – so astounding it makes House of the Dragon look amateur. The visual splendour of this rich, gorgeous Tolkien drama will make you gawp throughout. Watch it on the largest TV you can...This is enormously enjoyable TV, a cinematic feast. Now, I just need to find someone with a huge telly to let me watch with them.

And then after the finale, on October 17, The Guardian published this review:

[quote] Now it’s over, let’s come out and say it: The Rings of Power was a stinker. The world’s most expensive show – which looked like an episode of Hollyoaks, only with woeful acting – was so inept that every episode left you sniggering. Bear McCreary’s ever-present score was syrupy and phoned in, as if he fell asleep on the “Fantasy” preset on his keyboard. The whole thing was lit as if it was an episode of Hollyoaks. Given the sheer amount of money thrown at the show, some of the visual effects were incredibly inept. Tonally, too, the drama didn’t know if it was meant to be for beginner-, intermediate- or expert-level Tolkien fans. As such, it felt like it was made for nobody.

I'm 44. All my life, there's been a divide between critical reviews that didn't match popular opinions about movies. But only since 2020 have almost all early reviews clearly been purchased or traded for glowing hyperbole overturned by honest opinions after movies are released. Avatar is exactly the kind of spectacle movie that I now expect to underwrite A+++ reviews to sell tickets.

by Anonymousreply 37December 7, 2022 10:00 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 38December 7, 2022 9:58 PM

Well, OP, you know, people say a lot of things.

by Anonymousreply 39December 8, 2022 1:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!