Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'The Spell' — TV movie ripoff of 'Carrie' with Lee Grant!

I watched this on Amazon Prime last night and thought of DL!

A fat high school girl discovers she can cast spells and makes one of her tormentors fall from a rope climb in the gym, breaking her neck. From there she attempts to eliminate her mousy father and goody-goody younger sister (Helen Hunt!). You'll be Team Fat Girl too.

But it's mostly Lee Grant's movie as the mother. Never a hair out of place, she agonizes over her family's plight (often while smoking in bed in big false eyelashes). The 1970s decor is way over the top, and the movie is only 70 minutes.

Has anyone seen this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22November 27, 2023 12:27 AM

You shouldn't smoke after a facelift.

by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2022 11:18 PM

"You'll be Team Fat Girl too."

This is DataLounge. Everyone is Team Fat Girl.

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2022 11:37 PM

Lies.

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2022 11:39 PM

Yes, OP. I've watched it on Prime several times over the years. It is, oddly, a fun comfort movie for me. Especially the end when mom vs daughter in a battle of wits & witchcraft!

I was hoping Fat Girl would have offed the father. What a prick! I hate parents who play favorites.

by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2022 11:40 PM

I remember the tapestry she was embroidering was thrown in the fire at the end. Was it part of her spell?

by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2022 11:46 PM

Watching it on Tubi now and naturally, I came here.

Those parents were absolutely AWFUL to her. I hope she kills them all, including Helen Cuntface Hunt (10 minutes to go).

by Anonymousreply 6November 26, 2023 5:17 PM

Found the entire movie on youtube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 26, 2023 5:22 PM

"The Spell" is one of those little made-for-TV gems from the seventies. Even if most of them were derivative, most had decent performances and writing. Character actors like Lelia Goldoni and James Olson (both of whom died pretty recently) could find a niche there. I'll take them over the Hallmark Christmas movies, who sound as if they're written by AI and look like they're performed by Stepford bots, any time. Here's a link with some recommendations for other made for TV horror flicks, if anyone's interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 26, 2023 5:26 PM

You're amazing r8, thank YOU!

by Anonymousreply 9November 26, 2023 5:27 PM

I’d rather watch Bay Coven starring Pamela Sue Martin from 1987. She finds that a coven of witches are practicing black magic in the small town she resides in

by Anonymousreply 10November 26, 2023 5:31 PM

Lee Grant elevates every movie she's in.

by Anonymousreply 11November 26, 2023 5:35 PM

No she doesn’t r11

by Anonymousreply 12November 26, 2023 5:39 PM

I loved this movie, OP. This was the first thing I ever watched on Hulu when it first came out around 2008-2009. I also watched all of the Mary Tyler Moore episodes.

The whole service was free!

by Anonymousreply 13November 26, 2023 5:41 PM

[quote] This is DataLounge. Everyone is Team Fat Girl.

Since when?!!!

by Anonymousreply 14November 26, 2023 5:51 PM

I loved this, especially their gigantic Spanish mansion. It was like they shot it in the Mission Inn.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 26, 2023 6:16 PM

I remember seeing this movie not that long ago on youtube, but I remember nothing about it, other than that Lee Grant and my Shih-Tzu, Gizmo had the same hair style.

by Anonymousreply 16November 26, 2023 6:30 PM

Doesn't Lee Grant's character have telekenisis as well? She goes up against her daughter in the final minutes, right?

I believe I watched this in my youth...

by Anonymousreply 17November 26, 2023 6:33 PM

She’s ‘70s fat, which is really not that fat.

by Anonymousreply 18November 26, 2023 6:58 PM

They should remake this with Jennifer Aniston in the Lee Grant role and the woman from the Jardiance commercial as the daughter! It would be a ratings spectacular!

by Anonymousreply 19November 26, 2023 8:51 PM

I saw this when it first aired on TV in the '70s. I was a teenager and it made a big impact, I never forgot the scene with the rope in the gym!

by Anonymousreply 20November 26, 2023 9:06 PM

Just watched it on Pluto. It was clearly made due to Carrie’s success, but a good watch on this rainy day nonetheless. I wish they’d spent a bit more time showing her at school, but as it was, she was pretty sympathetic enough up until about mid-way when she went full cray. The dad was particularly awful to her and clearly loved Helen Hunt more (James Olson had a nice ass, by the way). Lee Grant was great as usual. The third act reveal where we learn she also has powers actually caught me off guard.

by Anonymousreply 21November 26, 2023 9:09 PM

Lee Grant is fabulous in this!

She also looks beautiful and perhaps freshly facelifted.

by Anonymousreply 22November 27, 2023 12:27 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!