Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why doesn’t anyone know how to master (or remaster) an album anymore?

There has been a trend in the last decade or so of re-releasing old 80s albums remastered with all the remixes and so on. It’s a good idea but a great many of these “remastered and expanded” album sets are terrible. The worst one I’ve heard so far is Taylor Dayne’s “Tell It To My Heart.” The brickwalling was so astoundingly bad that it hurt my ears and I had to switch to the original 1987 CD to avoid blowing out my eardrums.

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2022 11:36 PM

Wth do you think Taylor Swift has been crying about for the past couple years....

by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2022 10:06 PM

R1 That no one wants to date her because she’s such a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2022 11:08 PM

I don't mind updated mixes at all, especially the ones that use new AI based technology that allows producers to extract and mix individual instruments and voices from mono or 2, 3 and 4 track recordings that were the standard through the 60's. It's really quite remarkable.

A good example of this is the work Giles Martin has been doing with the recent Beatles remasters.

What bothers me is the crushing level of audio processing that some producers use during final mastering, as if mastering a CD should be as loud and distorted as the classic rock FM station down the street. Turn it down, my ears are bleeding!

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2022 11:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!