Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Indonesia 🇮🇩 outlaws Fornication, severely strengthens laws against blasphemy

Breaking News: Indonesia has outlawed sex outside of marriage in a sweeping overhaul of its criminal code that also sharply expands its laws against blasphemy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2022 4:39 AM

JAKARTA, Dec 6 (Reuters) - Indonesia's parliament approved a criminal code on Tuesday that bans sex outside marriage with a punishment of up to one year in jail, part of a raft of legal changes that critics say undermine civil liberties in the world's third-largest democracy.

The new code, which will apply to Indonesians and foreigners alike, will also prohibit cohabitation between unmarried couples. It was passed with support from all political parties and despite warnings from business groups that it could scare away tourists and harm investment.

by Anonymousreply 1December 6, 2022 5:19 AM

[quote]despite warnings from business groups that it could scare away tourists and harm investment.

I don't know if it will, but I hope it does. These kinds of laws are draconian.

by Anonymousreply 2December 6, 2022 5:20 AM

Fuck the Indonesian government scares the crap out of me. I don't understand people holidaying in Bali - it is governed by Indonesia. Any minute things could change in Bali and who would want to be there when it does?

by Anonymousreply 3December 6, 2022 10:58 AM

True

by Anonymousreply 4December 6, 2022 11:01 AM

[quote] Indonesian officials say upgrading the existing criminal code, which dates back to 1918 when Indonesia was a Dutch colony, was long overdue.

[quote] "However, it is time for us to make a historical decision on the penal code amendment and to leave the colonial criminal code we inherited behind.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 6, 2022 11:40 AM

Fun fact: Indonesia is the world's most populous Muslim country (more than a quarter of a billion adherents).

(Beheadings and castrations will soon follow as enforcement tools).

by Anonymousreply 6December 6, 2022 12:47 PM

This will kill their tourist trade. What a bunch of silly muzzies they are. This is the ultimate way of cutting of your nose to spite your face.

by Anonymousreply 7December 6, 2022 12:56 PM

Indonesia has been corrupt to the core since liberation .

by Anonymousreply 8December 6, 2022 12:59 PM

Fuck these ignorant religious freaks. Wait until the Bali vacation money disappears. Next time there’s an earthquake there, thoughts and prayers and nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 9December 6, 2022 1:01 PM

As with every other Muslim country, the ruling despots crack down on actions that are "offenses to Islam" with some regularity to assert Islam's dominance. I'm sure somewhere along the line Bali will be given some class of "dispensation" to keep the tourists on side.

by Anonymousreply 10December 6, 2022 1:01 PM

I believe the wife needs to make an official complaint for this new provision to be used, so tourists won't be affected. But yes, Indonesia is going down a terrible path and has been for some time now. And now we're paying them to stop using coal.

It will be interesting to see the world at the middle and towards the end of this century when most of the western countries are majority irreligious, but still have to trade with insanely religious countries in Asia and Africa. Should make for some very interesting dynamics.

by Anonymousreply 11December 6, 2022 1:07 PM

They're also banning "insulting the president or state institutions and expressing any views counter to state ideology".

If I hear anyone ever again saying these shitholes' terrible criminal codes are all colonialist legacy...

by Anonymousreply 12December 6, 2022 1:13 PM

Agreed that it should ruin their tourist industry.

by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2022 1:16 PM

But it probably will not

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2022 1:32 PM

"insulting the president or state institutions and expressing any views counter to state ideology".

Perfect Islamist mindset

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2022 1:34 PM

They'll only punish gay foreigners. Beware.

by Anonymousreply 16December 6, 2022 1:57 PM

[quote] Perfect Islamist mindset

R15 A law extant in 57 Muslim countries.

by Anonymousreply 17December 6, 2022 2:03 PM

You call this a democracy?

by Anonymousreply 18December 6, 2022 2:04 PM

R18 Indonesia has never claimed to be a "democracy". It is an Islamic state with a democracy patina. What is of paramount importance is that Islam is never questioned, criticized, and most importantly, never, ever challenged.

by Anonymousreply 19December 6, 2022 2:11 PM

Is Indonesia going to enforce these laws on Hindu-majority Bali? How long before the purge?

by Anonymousreply 20December 6, 2022 2:35 PM

But aren't Muslim men allowed to have four wives, as long as they have the money to support them?

So much for "adultery," for the men, that is.

by Anonymousreply 21December 6, 2022 2:42 PM

This will not end well

by Anonymousreply 22December 6, 2022 2:46 PM

As with all these draconian laws, only women and gays will be prosecuted.

by Anonymousreply 23December 6, 2022 2:46 PM

The Islamic disease was brought in by sailors:

"The natives of the Indonesian archipelago originally practised indigenous animism and dynamism, beliefs that are common to Austronesian peoples. They worshipped and revered ancestral spirit and believed that supernatural spirits (hyang) might inhabit certain places such as large trees, stones, forests, mountains, or sacred sites. Examples of Indonesian native belief systems include the Sundanese Sunda Wiwitan, Dayak's Kaharingan, and the Javanese Kejawèn. They have significantly impacted how other faiths are practised, evidenced by a large proportion of people—such as the Javanese abangan, Balinese Hindus, and Dayak Christians—practising a less orthodox, syncretic form of their religion.

Baiturrahman Grand Mosque in Banda Aceh, Aceh. The spread of Islam in Indonesia began in the region. Islam was introduced by Sunni traders of the Shafi'i school as well as Sufi traders from the Indian subcontinent and southern Arabia as early as the 8th century CE. For the most part, Islam overlaid and mixed with existing cultural and religious influences, resulting in a distinct form of Islam (santri). Trade, Islamic missionary activity such as by the Wali Sanga and Chinese explorer Zheng He, and military campaigns by several sultanates helped accelerate the spread of Islam. By the end of the 16th century, it had supplanted Hinduism and Buddhism as the dominant religion of Java and Sumatra."

by Anonymousreply 24December 6, 2022 3:07 PM

Bali remains Hindu, which is why the culture is more accepting of all--but it's still in Muslim Indonesia

by Anonymousreply 25December 6, 2022 3:37 PM

They're desperate to decolonise (fine) from the evil white (Dutch) influence but only too happy to reinforce the colonial (Islam and Arab that look down on these Asians, even the fellow Allah-worshippers) rules?

by Anonymousreply 26December 7, 2022 1:22 AM

Sex before marriage was already banned prior to the approval of this new criminal code, but the law was often not enforced.

by Anonymousreply 27December 7, 2022 7:11 AM

With assurances from some officials that foreigners will not be affected.

by Anonymousreply 28December 7, 2022 7:12 AM

[quote] Bali remains Hindu, which is why the culture is more accepting of all

Bali remains dependent on tourism, which is why it turns a blind eye to certain behavior. Hindus are NOT culturally accepting of homosexuality.

by Anonymousreply 29December 7, 2022 7:19 AM

^apparently moreso than Muslims

by Anonymousreply 30December 7, 2022 8:13 AM

They've been dangerous for a while.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 7, 2022 8:19 AM

Indonesia just makes it easier for companies to settle in Vietnam. Muslim countries desperately need foreign money, but then again, drive foreigners away with their insane, outrageous, stupid laws. God willing.

by Anonymousreply 32December 7, 2022 8:53 AM

Well, fuck. Can I still root whores on the annual Bali footy trip if I hide my wedding ring?

by Anonymousreply 33December 7, 2022 9:39 AM

[quote] Can I still root whores

Which reminds me of one of the oldest Aussie jokes in existence. I remember the punchline:

He eats roots and leaves . . .

. . . but I can remember how it begins.

by Anonymousreply 34December 7, 2022 10:08 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 35December 7, 2022 11:29 AM

[quote] Hindus are NOT culturally accepting of homosexuality.

They were until the British showed up. Generally, however, Hindus don't have the same hung ups about gays that Judeo-Christians do.

by Anonymousreply 36December 7, 2022 4:16 PM

[quote]Bali remains dependent on tourism, which is why it turns a blind eye to certain behavior.

Yep. The sheer number of Australians who go there (it's one of the closest and therefore most affordable 'exotic' places for a lot of Australians, mostly bogans, to go) ensures that there will always be some leniency because they want our $$. It's why I would never go there, it makes me think of going to Ibiza and being surrounded by loutish Brits, you know?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 7, 2022 6:02 PM

Fuck Allah with Muhammad's left fist.

by Anonymousreply 38December 7, 2022 7:52 PM

With all this thread talk of how it impacts foreigners, I am familiar with a gay Indonesian young man whose future doesn't seem too bright now.

by Anonymousreply 39December 7, 2022 9:50 PM

[quote] Hindus are NOT culturally accepting of homosexuality.

[quote] They were until the British showed up

R36 Muslims had conquered HIndu India 700 years before the Brits showed up. While it might be fad/deflection to blame Britain for anti-homo laws, it is, in reality, erroneous.

[quote] Hindus don't have the same hung ups about gays that Judeo-Christians do.

Neither does Jewish law. Xtians, however, do.

by Anonymousreply 40December 8, 2022 5:38 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 41December 8, 2022 12:21 PM

[quote] Muslims had conquered HIndu India 700 years before the Brits showed up. While it might be fad/deflection to blame Britain for anti-homo laws, it is, in reality, erroneous.

First, Muslims only conquered Northern India. Second, Muslim rulers allowed Hindus to continue worshipping as they pleased. Therewere no significant anti-gay policies until the Brits came.

by Anonymousreply 42December 8, 2022 2:47 PM

Every where the Brits went, anti gay sentiment followed.

by Anonymousreply 43December 8, 2022 2:47 PM

Wow

by Anonymousreply 44December 9, 2022 4:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!