Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The great The Crown miscast

The casting is so bad I wondered someone did it on purpose. The reviews were terrible so i was actually expecting something awful, but it is as good as before, only with awful casting:

Imelda Stanton: as someone said in another thread , she could’ve played the queen mother. Or the queen’s maid. She is terribly wrong in this. Hellen Mirren should’ve played her.

Jonathan Pryce: another great actor, but so wrong as well. Charles Dance should’ve been cast.

Lesley Manville: here they aren’t even trying anymore. I like Lesley but she looks or acts nothing like Margaret. She looks better and more elegant that the old manicurist.

The Queen Mother: they are using a balding, thin, chav. This is pure trolling.

Dominic West: looks or acts nothing like Charles. But in this case i have no alternative suggestions….

The one that is good is Diana. Has the voice and posture down to pat. Very good acting.

by Anonymousreply 18December 7, 2022 7:11 PM

Manville looks more like Margaret than Vanessa Kirby did

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2022 7:02 PM

I don't get people who slobber over the casting in the first couple seasons but shit on the later seasons

Matt Smith looks nothing like Prince Philip

Vanessa Kirby look nothing like Princess Margaret

Claire Foy look nothing like the queen

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2022 7:04 PM

Totally agree. Debicki is good as Diana but she towers over everyone else at 6'3" and that's kind of distracting as well.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2022 7:05 PM

They shoot around Debicki's height exceptionally well most of the time. It's only really noticeable in a couple of shots.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2022 7:07 PM

I watched season 4 recently and I much prefer the casting of Charles/Diana in this season. I think the actress who played Diana in season 4 did a much better job and looked much more like her than season 5. I am assuming she was in her early 20's, perhaps not growing up during the Diana frenzy and aftermath allowed her to more easily inhabit the character without the burden of hindsight. I felt Debecki was impersonating and her body was distracting. Charles was also terrible compared to Josh O' Conner.

Apparently Emma Corin is in a new Netflix movie that is getting really good reviews called, "Lady Chatterly's Lover" and it is supposed very explicit sexually with full male/female frontal nudity.

I was thinking about this, but I wonder what it is about lesbians that seem to really nail Diana. Kristen Stewart was not my favorite but she got an Oscar nom and Corrin won almost every award, except the Emmy, which was was nominated.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2022 7:08 PM

This series was the absolute worst so far. A soap opera with unconvincing actors cast in the roles. It was like some Lifetime movie.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2022 7:09 PM

I love Elizabeth Debicki. She’s beautiful, a good actress, and from what I’ve seen (don’t know her personally) she’s very funny and “real” irl.

But she’s terrible as Diana. She does such a broad caricature, with the hang dog look, the constant down turned head peering upward. And she’s just vastly too tall to be Di — Di had a good stature but she wasn’t nine feet tall.

The one that kills me is West as Charles. I’ll never see him as anyone other than McNulty.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2022 7:09 PM

Is Debicki the one who wears that black drop dead dress as if she were a wire hanger? No way should she have been wearing that. Diana was sensational in it. She looks not good at all.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2022 7:25 PM

Other than the so-so casting I think Season 5 is a terrifically written soap. I can't wait for the second part.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2022 7:29 PM

Why did this need its own thread when there are already plenty of threads on this season of The Crown?

Are your opinions so important they must be highlighted with your own thread, OP?

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2022 7:30 PM

I do agree. The show isn't any worse in terms of writing/production, but you notice the difference actors make. This season doesn't have actors who bring the same magic to the screen that earlier iterations had.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2022 7:34 PM

I think in previous seasons the acting overcame the living characters. This season is from a time most of us remember the living persons, so it is harder. I just watched episode 4 of this season which has great, moving, acting, from Lesley Manville. The thing is she is not at all believable as Princess Margaret, nor Imelda (also good in their scenes) as the Queen. As saiid, i am enjoying much more than I thought.

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2022 11:40 PM

I thought Dominic West was the big miscast.

Charles has always been super angsty and introspective, there's a lot going on below the surface with him, so much that it's practically visible.

Josh O'Connor did a great job of bringing that out.

West looks as if he's never had a deep thought in his life and is much, much better looking too-- why did they not at least give him prosthetic Dumbo ears and giant horsey teeth?

by Anonymousreply 13December 6, 2022 11:06 PM

The worst casting was Matt Smith in S1. I can't stand that ferret boy. Any recast is an improvement.

by Anonymousreply 14December 6, 2022 11:45 PM

Agree with R13 - West is constantly smiling and laughing and Charles is a man that lives completely in his head. The scene with him breakdancing was ridiculous. West made him look rather cool when the real Charles is a geek to the core. We couldn’t even watch the whole season. Painful

by Anonymousreply 15December 6, 2022 11:53 PM

The most mortifying thing about the real Charles is when he attempts with all his might not to be a geek. That's when your geekdom is at its most appalling. He never learned that.

by Anonymousreply 16December 7, 2022 2:40 AM

Agree with all of the above re Charles, but who whould you have cast?

I think the actress doing Camilla is also good and an improvement on the last one. But that hairdo is already half work done.

by Anonymousreply 17December 7, 2022 10:15 AM

S3 was tough as the actors got used to their roles and then S4 was better, so I hope S6 is better.

I didn't think of anyone as deeply "miscast" although West is too handsome by far to play Dumbo Ears Charles.

I didn't like Imelda as QEII in early episodes. She was moving and reacting in ways that were too animated for ol' Liz. But she settled in as time went on.

I agree, Manville is a better followup to Kirby than HBC was.

Debicki was OK - she certainly had the look. I think this season was about painting Diana's vapidity and need for attention so perhaps a shallow portrayal was the desired result?

I didn't remember John Major at all but fuck, with Jonny Lee Miller portraying him I want Jonny's John to sit on my face, like yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 18December 7, 2022 7:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!