Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Who has been to Australia 🇦🇺?

How many spiders did you see? Do they greet you at the airport?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 5, 2023 1:58 AM

I've been to Oz, but never been to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2022 4:08 PM

How common are spiders in the Central Business District? Are they like raccoons in Toronto? Do they ride the subway?

by Anonymousreply 2December 5, 2022 1:18 PM

These are even worse than tarantulas because they move so fast

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 8, 2022 11:49 AM

I have been to Australia - into the middle of nowhere and Perth and Sydney as well. I never saw a bug or a snake, though it was weird seeing snake warning signs walking along the path to the beach. Overall, I didn't enjoy it and wouldn't go back, though Sydney, visually, is a marvellous city to look at it. A bunch of weird rules. I smoked at the time and only some stores could sell cigarettes. The operating hours were weird. For all Australians hate the UK they are more rule bound than the British. A kind of passive aggressive chippiness in them. They always seem to be baiting somebody and their humour is all passive aggressive whining, underneath. I wouldn't go back.

by Anonymousreply 4December 8, 2022 12:15 PM

[quote] I never saw a bug or a snake

Don’t misspecie us.

by Anonymousreply 5December 8, 2022 12:36 PM

Believe me, OP, nothing wants to greet you at an airport, and no Australian city has a subway so I wouldn't worry about that. Sydney and Melbourne are both working on establishing them, but have not a lot to show for it so far.

If you stay in the built-up areas of any CBD you are unlikely to see a spider of any kind, unless you plan to stay in a truly skeevy hotel. The general rule is that the further south you go the fewer creepy-crawlies there are in general, so Melbourne, Adelaide and Hobart are good and Sydney CBD is also fine. In the country, anywhere, you may encounter spiders and snakes if you're there in the right (or wrong) season. Lots of rural doggies die of snakebite annually.

If you're going to the far north of Queensland, Northern Territory or WA, go on a tour. It will keep you away from crocodiles, snakes and spiders and advise you how to deal with flies and mosquitoes.

As for sharks, your chance of death by shark is minimal compared with death by being sucked out to sea by currents known as rips. There are quite a few very pleasant tidal swimming pools (ie with ocean water) in Sydney which are entirely critter-free, but if you must swim in the sea, do so in the area between the flags placed on the beach. These signify that if you get into trouble a hunky lifeguard in Speedos will come get you on a surfboard.

If you get a Grindr date on Sydney's wealthy north shore, you will need to weigh up the chance of snagging a wealthy husband against the possibility of encountering a funnelweb spider, because that's their main hangout in Sydney and they are seen infrequently but regularly. An alternative source of wealthy husbands is the Eastern Suburbs, which is funnelweb free.

by Anonymousreply 6December 8, 2022 1:13 PM

Saw a HUGE spider in a campground restroom. Couldn’t sleep all night.

by Anonymousreply 7December 8, 2022 1:51 PM

YouTube classic spider in the car.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 8, 2022 2:08 PM

To be fair, the windows are shut. The spider got into the car while it was parked somewhere with the windows or doors open and just made its appearance while they were driving. They don't just spring into your car off the highway.

R7, you can be terrified of spiders and go camping in another country, or you can be terrified of spiders and stick to the cities in Australia. You can't do both. Likewise, if you're terrified of sharks, don't swim in the ocean. The wildlife will not follow you down Oxford Street.

by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2022 1:28 PM

here's another Huntsman in the car.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2022 1:46 PM

I didn’t seen any, but a bug flew into my mouth.

by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2022 2:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 5, 2023 1:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!