Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coyote attacks & tries to drag away toddler in Woodland Hills

I keep telling people they have more to fear from coyotes than mountain lions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205February 12, 2023 1:59 PM

Team coyote!

by Anonymousreply 1December 4, 2022 4:45 AM

As least we aren't being blamed for this one!

by Anonymousreply 2December 4, 2022 4:48 AM

Pass!

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2022 4:53 AM

Their natural habitat is invaded and destroyed, their usual prey is diminished, and they're desperate for food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2022 4:54 AM

The decimation of the wolf in the western states has allowed coyotes to thrive.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2022 4:56 AM

Thanks for not blaming me first.

by Anonymousreply 6December 4, 2022 4:58 AM

Team coyote.

by Anonymousreply 7December 4, 2022 5:04 AM

Yes, R5. And when the mountain lions in the L.A. area go extinct (which is predicted to happen within 50 years, due to inbreeding), there will be NOTHING to keep the coyotes in check.

by Anonymousreply 8December 4, 2022 5:09 AM

This is god’s way of saying STOP HAVING BABIES.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2022 5:11 AM

We admire the attempt.

by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2022 5:11 AM

A COYOTE TOOK MY BABY!

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2022 5:12 AM

are they sure it wasn't a dingo?

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2022 5:13 AM

[quote]NBC has chronicled other coyote attacks on children this year. Officials euthanized the coyote who injured a 2-year-old girl in Fountain Valley, and in Huntington Beach this summer a coyote came out of nowhere one night on the beach and went after another 2-year-old girl. The coyote was later shot and killed.

They seem to like 2 year olds. The child in Woodland Hills was also 2. I wonder why they are paring on humans,

This is scary - most of the time we're safe from animals but if they start attacking, it's like The Birds. I doubt we would be safe from their seemingly random attacks.

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2022 5:15 AM

*preying on humans

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2022 5:15 AM

R4 Fuck coyotes, getting all brazen lately. There’s so much open land in Southern California. They need to stay in their goddamn lane or risk being killed. Plenty of rats and raccoons for them to eat.

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2022 5:21 AM

R15 apparently thinks coyotes are just being precious widdle princesses who have decided to be irritating out of spite.

Anyone wanna tell r15 that animals do not work that way, or would it be wasted effort to even try?

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2022 5:23 AM

R16 Law of the jungle, baby. Humans are at the top of the food chain. Invade our space, expect bad things to happen. Same result if the dumb ass coyote went into a bear or mountain lion den.

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2022 5:28 AM

Casper has the right idea.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2022 5:30 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2022 5:30 AM

r17 really wants to sit that coyote down and DEMAND he explain his actions!

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2022 5:31 AM

Where I live, when I was growing up, there were never any visible turkeys, or oyptes, and I never saw a rabbit. Now there are all three. Last night a rabbit was by my car, eating something. About 3 or 4 feet away, wasn't scared at all,

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2022 5:33 AM

*coyotes

by Anonymousreply 22December 4, 2022 5:36 AM

My area is overrun oyptes.

by Anonymousreply 23December 4, 2022 5:36 AM

Where's the dumbfuck who argued endlessly with me on another thread that there are never coyote attacks in L.A. County?

by Anonymousreply 24December 4, 2022 5:39 AM

Woodland Hills Cougar 💅🏻

by Anonymousreply 25December 4, 2022 5:41 AM

I’m always shocked to hear about coyote attacks. I used to live in areas where I’d see them frequently and sometimes in large groups but I never felt threatened. They don’t seem like a threat to humans at all.

by Anonymousreply 26December 4, 2022 5:43 AM

I hope you're all pronouncing coyote in your heads like ky oat tee and not ky oat.

by Anonymousreply 27December 4, 2022 5:48 AM

Oh my God! Not trying to be a "Mary" but that's scary as hell. I'm glad she's ok.

by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2022 7:48 AM

We believe it was a domesticated dog.

by Anonymousreply 29December 4, 2022 7:57 AM
by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2022 8:13 AM

I love how the coyote backs off as the father scoops up his daughter, then just hangs out only a few feet away in the street - as if he might get a second shot at the kid. That's some brazen shit.

by Anonymousreply 31December 4, 2022 8:14 AM

Stories like this gives coyotes a bad name...

by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2022 8:34 AM

Why aren’t they treating the coyotes like non predatory iguanas in south Florida? People are allowed to poach iguanas (not that I agree, they don’t attack humans) I guess the laws are different. It’s a rabies issue. I cat stand seeing coyotes in cities because they eat cats, kids and are following their instincts in an unsuitable environment . People so worried about the coyote being in the wrong habitat should join a wildlife organization and help relocate the coyotes to the woods where they belong as I have done.

by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2022 8:37 AM

[quote]I keep telling people they have more to fear from coyotes than mountain lions.

You are a lone voice crying heroically in the wild!

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2022 8:38 AM

"Coyote saves a toddler from wandering in the middle of a busy road", more like. Bad parenting overload. Team Coyote

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2022 9:20 AM

It was being fwiendly - just inviting baby girl to join the pack.

by Anonymousreply 36December 4, 2022 9:28 AM

The dad is very masculine looking.

by Anonymousreply 37December 4, 2022 9:34 AM

R5, I LOVE wolves.

Such beautiful creatures. Same with wild cats. I just love them.

by Anonymousreply 38December 4, 2022 11:16 AM

[quote] This is god’s way of saying STOP HAVING BABIES.

This is coyotes' way of saying KEEP HAVING DELICIOUS BABIES.

by Anonymousreply 39December 4, 2022 11:19 AM

I wish I had lived in a state that had coyotes.

by Anonymousreply 40December 4, 2022 11:25 AM

This is going to have disastrous consequence for character actor Peter Coyote.

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2022 11:28 AM

Has anyone made a dingo joke?

by Anonymousreply 42December 4, 2022 11:34 AM

[quote]People so worried about the coyote being in the wrong habitat should join a wildlife organization and help relocate the coyotes to the woods where they belong as I have done.

I've donated a few times to the Wolf Conservation Center and Project Coyote after watching a documentary on the coywolf.

My comments earlier in the thread (which I think you may have been referring to) were more about the attitude of people who think wild animals are using human-like logic or reason when they wander into human living spaces. They're not. They're animals and they want food, and humans have taken over their living and prowling spaces, and there's going to be some conflict because of that. Indiscriminate "we're the top of the food chain, sucks to be them" responses to these incidents are useless.

So yes, if you were legitimately worried, I have donated to help, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to tease someone being a dingus on threads like these.

by Anonymousreply 43December 4, 2022 11:40 AM

[quote]I'm not going to tease someone being a dingus on threads like these.

Stealth dingo reference.

by Anonymousreply 44December 4, 2022 12:11 PM

But did the coyote fuck the baby in the ass?

by Anonymousreply 45December 4, 2022 12:39 PM

The reporter in op's clip looks like he's been embalmed

by Anonymousreply 46December 4, 2022 12:41 PM

I’d comfort the dad …. between his legs.

by Anonymousreply 47December 4, 2022 1:06 PM

The reporter asked the most idiotic and offensive question possible "Was your child doing anything to attract the attention of the coyote?"

by Anonymousreply 48December 4, 2022 1:09 PM

Bloody diaper?

ANOTHER ATTEMPTED CANINE RAPE!

by Anonymousreply 49December 4, 2022 1:37 PM

We've got coyotes in the suburbs of Toronto. So far, they've only gone after house cats and dogs. I suppose it'll just be a matter of time before some slow Canuck toddler is in the wrong back yard at the wrong time...

by Anonymousreply 50December 4, 2022 1:40 PM

[quote]And when the mountain lions in the L.A. area go extinct (which is predicted to happen within 50 years, due to inbreeding), there will be NOTHING to keep the coyotes in check.

Well, we've extincted other species altogether, so I'm sure we can shrink the coyote hordes, somehow.

by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2022 1:59 PM

I haven't seen any coyotes in my neighborhood, but they are welcome to come and eat all the deer, squirrels, and Canada geese they want!

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2022 2:20 PM

[quote]Where I live, when I was growing up, there were never any visible turkeys, or oyptes, and I never saw a rabbit. Now there are all three. Last night a rabbit was by my car, eating something. About 3 or 4 feet away, wasn't scared at all,

The entire time I was growing up, I never saw one squirrel. When I was home for Thanksgiving, there were hundreds of them all over the place. Also, we used to have the occasional possum roadkill. Now, there are entire clans of them making burrows all over.

This is a a very suburban city filled with Brady Bunch neighborhoods and culs-de-sac everywhere, not bordering on wildlife areas.

by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2022 2:37 PM

Team coyote!!!!

by Anonymousreply 54December 4, 2022 2:41 PM

For the first 18 years of my life, I lived in a part of LA where coyotes were fairly common. I don’t recall a single coyote attack on a human during that time, but there were attacks on pet cats. We had a cat and she was kept indoors at night. The coyotes we saw didn’t seem particularly afraid of humans, but they kept their distance. In the case of this latest attack, I suppose it’s due to a combination of the small size of the prey and the coyote’s hunger.

by Anonymousreply 55December 4, 2022 2:43 PM

Yet another unexpected consequence of overturning Roe v. Wade.

by Anonymousreply 56December 4, 2022 2:47 PM

Coyote?

Damn, I wish I'd thought of that.

by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2022 2:48 PM

Toddlers are why we can't have nice things.

by Anonymousreply 58December 4, 2022 2:51 PM

R53 I'm the poster you replied to. That's interesting. Squirrels are the one consistent animal since I was a kid. They were here (Northeast) and in Southern California (lived both places). But now (N. E.) there are a lot of black squirrels - a new thing as of around 15 years ago. Turkeys are new, and so big they startle me. As a kid, coyotes were something I only heard about on the West coast. I don't remember them in the East.

by Anonymousreply 59December 4, 2022 2:51 PM

Black squirrels matter, r59!!!!

by Anonymousreply 60December 4, 2022 2:55 PM

Did he not see the coyote sprinkling salt on the girl just before snatching her?

by Anonymousreply 61December 4, 2022 3:00 PM

Coyotes know two-year-olds are at PEAK TENDERNESS! They get tough after two.

by Anonymousreply 62December 4, 2022 4:10 PM

Well, it's LA. If a coyote didn't get her a producer probably would have.

by Anonymousreply 63December 4, 2022 4:18 PM

I live less than 1/4 mile from two interstates in LA County, and my Ring doorbell camera captured a coyote in the front yard of my little townhouse twice last week.

by Anonymousreply 64December 4, 2022 4:53 PM

R64 I don't get the part about the interstates.

by Anonymousreply 65December 4, 2022 5:10 PM

Hawt Israeli dad saved the day!

Mom is ugg. 👎🏼

by Anonymousreply 66December 4, 2022 5:12 PM

See no one has heard the coyote’s version of this story…

by Anonymousreply 67December 4, 2022 5:13 PM

[quote]"Was your child doing anything to attract the attention of the coyote?"

That's what I came to say, R48. As if someone would accuse the toddler of asking for it, strutting up the driveway looking all plump and juicy.

by Anonymousreply 68December 4, 2022 5:31 PM

[quote] I don't get the part about the interstates.

I'm trying to point out that I live in a well-populated, busy suburban area--not in the mountains somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 69December 4, 2022 5:32 PM

We had the occasional copperhead and black bear. The bears have retreated deep into the Catskills now. But there are a LOT up there.

by Anonymousreply 70December 4, 2022 5:39 PM

R69 Oh, okay. I live in a suburb close to a major highway, and we have coyotes. They tend to like the golf course. One time one crossed in front of my car on the onramp to the highway. Actually I think highways and freeways are what supposedly hem critters in and restrict their movements. That's why an animal crossing is planned over the 101 south of LA.

by Anonymousreply 71December 4, 2022 5:46 PM

Coyotes live on the golf course near me as well. I see them occasionally at night.

Last week I took out the trash after dark and a fucking SKUNK walked up to me bold as brass, sniffed my foot, and walked away.

These goddamn wild animals are getting entirely too blasé!

by Anonymousreply 72December 4, 2022 6:06 PM

Woodland Hills and surrounding communities within the month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 4, 2022 6:12 PM

Those saying Team Coyote— you wouldn’t say that if it was YOUR KID that got dragged away. I would’ve shot it.

by Anonymousreply 74December 4, 2022 6:16 PM

Coyote gonna coyote

by Anonymousreply 75December 4, 2022 6:18 PM

I think there's a bounty on coyotes where I live like $50 a kill like I don't understand why everybody's so up in arms about asking if the toddler attracted the coyote like I could see me as a dumb kid trying to call the coyote or whistle it to me like I would a stray dog or any other animal I came across so I think it's a fair question.

by Anonymousreply 76December 4, 2022 6:19 PM

[R76] Well i think it was clear in the video how far the coyote was when it ran across to grab the kid. She couldn’t have provoked it.

by Anonymousreply 77December 4, 2022 6:27 PM

The toddler attracted the coyote by being OUTSIDE, people. She should have been indoors playing video games like a normal kid.

by Anonymousreply 78December 4, 2022 6:27 PM

R37 Definitely Israeli. Ex-military. Probably a fencing contractor. Works with his hands. Excuse me while I take a ten-minute break…

by Anonymousreply 79December 4, 2022 6:31 PM

That coyote could be rabid, making it as bold as it was in attacking the little girl.

by Anonymousreply 80December 4, 2022 6:31 PM

DC has coyotes--the parks systems in and around the city are extensive and facilitate movement. There occasionally have been bobcat sightings.

by Anonymousreply 81December 4, 2022 6:34 PM

They also turn up around Cleveland and Chicago, esp. when the lakes freeze over which makes it easy for them to cover long distances.

by Anonymousreply 82December 4, 2022 6:35 PM

[quote]Those saying Team Coyote— you wouldn’t say that if it was YOUR KID that got dragged away.

You're awfully presumptious.

by Anonymousreply 83December 4, 2022 6:38 PM

I like how the dad carefully sets down his cup of Starbucks on the sidewalk before saving his kid. Priorities!

by Anonymousreply 84December 4, 2022 7:06 PM

Seriously?

84 responses and no "dingos ate my baby" references.

For shame, DL. Shame.

by Anonymousreply 85December 4, 2022 7:17 PM

[quote] Where I live, when I was growing up, there were never any visible turkeys, or oyptes, and I never saw a rabbit. Now there are all three. Last night a rabbit was by my car, eating something. About 3 or 4 feet away, wasn't scared at all,

So brave!

by Anonymousreply 86December 4, 2022 7:42 PM

R85 See R2, R6, and R12.

by Anonymousreply 87December 4, 2022 8:56 PM

R86. Very funny, I meant the rabbit. They're much bolder than they used to be. Any movement by a human and they would run off.

by Anonymousreply 88December 4, 2022 8:57 PM

That coyote looks like a hot shit, an awful lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 89December 4, 2022 9:37 PM

That's a WeHo Datalounge coyote. He does not approve of breeders with small children and strollers.

by Anonymousreply 90December 4, 2022 9:42 PM

I swear we had this same exact thread a few months back

by Anonymousreply 91December 4, 2022 9:51 PM

See coyote, don’t mess with those people.

by Anonymousreply 92December 4, 2022 11:56 PM

Not everyone seems to know this but wild animals are all different in terms of what animals or plants they'll eat or not eat. They're not all omnivores at all. Some will go so far as to eat one kind of ant, let's say, but not another kind of ant.

Coyotes are omnivores, though mainly meat eaters. But they have a natural fear or wariness of people. Supposedly the more they're fed or find food in neighborhoods, the more comfortable they are in those areas. Supposedly that's when they're more likely to go after pets. Going after toddlers this much, though, is something new, I think. Kind of scary.

by Anonymousreply 93December 5, 2022 12:14 AM

Dingos are much cuter. Do dingos do things like this?

by Anonymousreply 94December 5, 2022 12:46 AM

Dingos do it, r93. Why wouldn't coyotes? Especially with population encroachment on what was formerly their territory.

by Anonymousreply 95December 5, 2022 12:58 AM

[quote] The toddler attracted the coyote by being OUTSIDE

And by being made of meat, R78.

by Anonymousreply 96December 5, 2022 1:09 AM

The coyotes in WH are from the nearby Santa Monica mountains, and up until the 70s they still ate rabbits and roadrunners. When development in Malibu and Topanga took hold during the 80s (condos, country clubs, golf courses, etc.), misguided animal lovers would leave food out for the dislocated animals, which is what led to coyotes in that area turning away from hunting and becoming scavengers instead. And now, here we are.

by Anonymousreply 97December 5, 2022 1:25 AM

It looked like it had rabies, cuz normally it would have run off, but this one came back for more. Rabies.

by Anonymousreply 98December 5, 2022 1:26 AM

Dollface dingos!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 5, 2022 1:27 AM

Dingos are so cute they look like Jindos.

by Anonymousreply 100December 5, 2022 1:28 AM

Little Archie might be next!!

by Anonymousreply 101December 5, 2022 1:53 AM

[quote] I swear we had this same exact thread a few months back

I think you're on here too much.

by Anonymousreply 102December 5, 2022 1:56 AM

STFU R101

by Anonymousreply 103December 5, 2022 1:57 AM

Tara the Hero Cat would have tackled that coyote.

by Anonymousreply 104December 5, 2022 2:06 AM

The coyote should have dropped a giant anvil on the kid.

by Anonymousreply 105December 5, 2022 2:19 AM

First I laughed and then I MARYed

by Anonymousreply 106December 5, 2022 2:21 AM

TBH, the dad didn’t need to grab his daughter from the jaws of the coyote. After a few minutes with a two-year old, it would have dropped her off on the porch and ran away, never to be seen again.

by Anonymousreply 107December 5, 2022 2:36 AM

Who are their predators? Mountain lions?

by Anonymousreply 108December 5, 2022 2:42 AM

r102 must be an asshole. I have him ignored.

by Anonymousreply 109December 5, 2022 3:20 AM

R108, I think only wolves (relegated to a few states) and mountain lions are their predators. Maybe bears, but they are more opportunistic feeders rather than actively hunting them.

by Anonymousreply 110December 5, 2022 3:34 AM

R109 I have r102 ignored, too

by Anonymousreply 111December 5, 2022 1:30 PM

I hit a coyote with my car on the way home last night. You are avenged sweet angel.

by Anonymousreply 112December 5, 2022 1:38 PM

Yes, R108. Deer are their desired prey, but coyotes are #2 on the menu in Southern California. (I would imagine that's different in regions with elk, big horn sheep, etc.)

From the L.A. Almanac: [quote]Mountain lions typically eat about one deer per week, along with other smaller prey as the opportunity arises. NPS researchers have analyzed more than 700 kills, of which 87% were mule deer (the second-most common prey was coyotes and then raccoons).

by Anonymousreply 113December 5, 2022 5:55 PM

We should domesticate them

by Anonymousreply 114December 5, 2022 7:46 PM

That coyote's father must be getting a lot of shaming from the others in his band.

by Anonymousreply 115December 5, 2022 11:16 PM

I used to live in a semi rural area and it was quite the drop off for unwanted pets.At one point I was feeding at least a dozen cats .One night I heard some yipping and I thought to myself that sure sounded like coyotes,wich we hadnt seen in years. Long story short witin a week there were zero cats around. They also attacked my neighbors dog and another neighbors chicken pen. Then they just vanished again.

by Anonymousreply 116December 5, 2022 11:26 PM

The toddler had to get rabies shots just in case teh coyote was infected. That alone is traumatic for a baby. Poor little girl.

by Anonymousreply 117December 5, 2022 11:31 PM

Rabies shots aren't bad these days. They've improved the Pasteur treatment a lot in the last 30 years.

We have coyotes where I live but mainly we have 100s of raccoons so I'm thinking coyotes don't prey on them. To begin with, they can climb trees. Mainly neighbors complaining about their cats getting eaten.

by Anonymousreply 118December 5, 2022 11:43 PM

Do the coyotes ever enter homes through those pet doors?

by Anonymousreply 119December 6, 2022 12:12 AM

Coyotes are predators but also scavengers.

[quote]Although coyotes are predators, they are also opportunistic and shift their diets to take advantage of the most available prey. Coyotes are generally scavengers and predators of small prey but can shift to large prey occasionally.

by Anonymousreply 120December 6, 2022 12:40 AM

[quote]Going after toddlers this much, though, is something new

Not really. I was driving a client home through Encino, where coyotes have been a regular feature of the urban landscape for decades, and saw a coyote trotting up a driveway towards a toddler. We honked and yelled out the window at it, and the car behind us swerved into the driveway, scaring it away.

by Anonymousreply 121December 6, 2022 2:49 AM

R119: Yep! In fact, it happened in Woodland Hills about six months ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 6, 2022 5:54 AM

Daw-g!

by Anonymousreply 123December 6, 2022 6:17 AM

[quote]Why aren’t they treating the coyotes like non predatory iguanas in south Florida? People are allowed to poach iguanas (not that I agree, they don’t attack humans) I guess the laws are different.

I think part of problem is...in a coyote pack, typically only the alpha male & the alpha female mate/reproduce (like wolves). When one of the alphas dies, ALL of the females enter estrus & mate...producing twice as many coyotes. It becomes like a game of whack-a-mole.

by Anonymousreply 124December 6, 2022 9:18 AM

[quote]That's why an animal crossing is planned over the 101 south of LA.

It’s actually north of LA

by Anonymousreply 125December 6, 2022 9:40 AM

Told ya I was hard-core!

by Anonymousreply 126December 6, 2022 1:47 PM

Those damn ACME brand dentures!

by Anonymousreply 127December 6, 2022 4:21 PM

R125 It's actually northwest of LA.

by Anonymousreply 128December 7, 2022 12:24 AM

r128 It's actually PART of LA. It's a neighborhood with the Los Angeles city limits. It's northwest of DOWNTOWN L.A.

by Anonymousreply 129December 7, 2022 1:15 AM

Could someone please provide latitude and longitude?

by Anonymousreply 130December 7, 2022 1:22 AM

R129 Agoura Hills is a city in the Santa Monica Mountains region of Los Angeles County, CA, incorporated: December 8, 1982

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131December 7, 2022 1:37 AM

Woodland Hills is not Agoura Hills.

by Anonymousreply 132December 7, 2022 1:37 AM

R132 The argument was about where on the 101 the animal bridge is being built.

by Anonymousreply 133December 7, 2022 1:40 AM

Sorry ... my mistake. I thought we were talking about where the attack took place.

by Anonymousreply 134December 7, 2022 1:49 AM

R134 That's okay.

by Anonymousreply 135December 7, 2022 1:50 AM

By the way, I'm surprised spending 87 million on a bridge for rabbits, in a state where there are over160,000 homeless people, hasn't caused an uprising.

by Anonymousreply 136December 7, 2022 1:55 AM

1) It’s not for rabbits, it’s for mountain lions.

2) Most of the funding is coming from private sources

by Anonymousreply 137December 7, 2022 1:58 AM

R137 Do you take everything everyone says literally? I said that because I read that small animals will probably be the first ones to use the bridge. It might take mountain lions longer. Also this: "The greenspace bridge will provide more room to roam for mountain lions and other animals hemmed in by urban sprawl. Big cats, coyotes, deer, lizards, snakes and other creatures will have a safe route to open space in the Santa Monica Mountains and better access to food and potential mates."

"The $90 million price tag will be covered by about 60% private donations, with the rest coming from public funds set aside for conservation purposes. The span will be named the Wallis Annenberg Wildlife Crossing, for the philanthropist whose foundation donated $25 million."

by Anonymousreply 138December 7, 2022 2:14 AM

[quote]By the way, I'm surprised spending 87 million on a bridge for rabbits, in a state where there are over160,000 homeless people, hasn't caused an uprising.

Animals are better than people. Fact.

by Anonymousreply 139December 7, 2022 10:32 AM

R131 we have plenty of those animal crossings in Switzerland. They don't need to be so elaborate. The one pictured is elaborate but stupid as it can drop animals at another road they have to cross. Dumb.

Animals are smart they and will take a normal straight bridge if it has some green, dirt, a few rocks and bushes. Just needs a bit of a funnel on both sides.

by Anonymousreply 140December 7, 2022 11:05 AM

We have them here in Brazil, too, r140. They're not that complicated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141December 7, 2022 11:10 AM

Well, some are more elaborate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142December 7, 2022 11:13 AM

The one at r142 is all they need. And it's not 87 million.

by Anonymousreply 143December 7, 2022 11:50 AM

I would think any kind of overpass or underpass would do, many animals would cross it - but there's something to do with mountain lions being shy of crossing these things (?). I forget. It sounds incredibly elaborate though at a crisis time (though people refuse to acknowledge it as such) when so many people don't even have homes - and their health care is exhorbitantly expensive and driving them into debt they'll never get out of. Even if it's largely privately funded, the timing just seems off. Like building it during the Great Depression.

by Anonymousreply 144December 8, 2022 5:05 PM

We built a whole town and tunnel for toads! But they never use it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145December 8, 2022 10:27 PM

UPDATE: The offending coyote was trapped by CDFW near the girl's home on Friday and euthanized. (DNA matched saliva left on the girl's clothing).

Several residents in the neighborhood report that people in the area have been feeding the coyotes -- or leaving food & water out for feral cats, which is essentially the same thing. Idiots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146December 12, 2022 7:12 PM

Poor coyote

by Anonymousreply 147December 13, 2022 12:25 AM

I agree poor coyote. We changed his behaviour by someone leaving food out etc. and then he had to die because of it.

by Anonymousreply 148December 13, 2022 12:42 PM

If the coyote attacked you, you wouldn't saying poor coyote, idiots.

by Anonymousreply 149December 14, 2022 12:31 PM

Actually idiot I would say that. I do feel sorry for an animal that has to be put down like that. It doesn’t mean I don’t agree with the decision to put it down. Apparently you’re not capable of that sort of complexity in your thinking since you just called me an idiot check your reflection, you angry bitter slag.

by Anonymousreply 150December 14, 2022 5:52 PM

I would too

by Anonymousreply 151December 14, 2022 6:54 PM

R150 I doubt you'd fell sorry for a rat if it went after a child, and someone had to kill it. Or a rattlesnake. Those are also animals. Are you capable of that kind of complexity in your thinking? You feel sorry for a coyote because it looks like a nice doggy.

by Anonymousreply 152December 14, 2022 9:21 PM

We don't see the problem.

by Anonymousreply 153December 14, 2022 9:34 PM

I like animals better than humans so I would

by Anonymousreply 154December 14, 2022 11:05 PM

Does this come with dipping sauce??

by Anonymousreply 155December 14, 2022 11:31 PM

Lousy comeback attempt r152. And you sound even more like an angry bitter slag now.

by Anonymousreply 156December 15, 2022 3:16 AM

R156 What would I be an "angry bitter slag" about? A coyote? I'm not particularly invested in this subject. It's just that you can plainly see the coyote in the video trying to drag the child off, which it would have done if the father had not intervened. What do you think that coyote was going to do with the girl? You don't care about the girl's life, you care about the predatory animal wqho was going to kill her. Can't say I agree with your strange sympathies, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 157December 15, 2022 3:22 AM

R157: “I’m not particularly invested in this subject…”

Based on the 25 or more posts you you’ve written across this thread, ( most arguing with others) you definitely are invested.

And you clearly like to find a fight if you can. Again in your most recent response, you can’t handle complex thoughts.

Someone says ‘poor coyote’ for being put down and you go on the attack that no one should and apparently you think you know how another poster would react if it were a rat instead.

When met with the response a person can feel sorry for the coyote and still agree it should be put down, you come back with the stupid comment that I have no sympathy for the child - which is ridiculous and not even alluded to anywhere. But again, it’s because you can’t manage regular adult thinking processes because you are intent on arguing and accusing others of opinions that were never voiced.

Now you claim you not invested - yet you’ve written most of the obnoxious and argumentative posts about every topic mentioned across this entire thread.

But that’s your issue in your miserable life. I’m done with your miserable ass. Bye and blocked.

by Anonymousreply 158December 15, 2022 10:17 AM

I wrote 22 posts. The only time I argued was with you. I wrote 19 posts that no one would call argumentative. You live in a fantasy of your own making, I guess. I can manage adult thinking processes, so can the other people you say that about, on this board. And I don't have a miserable life, but I sincerely hope you do. .

by Anonymousreply 159December 16, 2022 2:16 AM

And PS - when I read the headline, "Coyote attacks & tries to drag away toddler in Woodland Hills" my reaction is not "poor coyote" - because I'm not a mental case.

by Anonymousreply 160December 16, 2022 2:19 AM

Why do I find this hilarious?

Dumb breeders.

by Anonymousreply 161December 16, 2022 2:38 AM

Girls, GIRLS! You're both mental cases! Go torture your dolls or something and get out of my hair.

by Anonymousreply 162December 16, 2022 6:43 AM

2 dogs killed, 1 injured by coyotes. I used to have a chihuahua as a kid. This makes me sad. It's end times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163December 16, 2022 3:47 PM

"Coyote attacks continue to be reported across Los Angeles County neighborhoods."

by Anonymousreply 164December 16, 2022 3:48 PM

[quote] 2 dogs killed, 1 injured by coyotes. I used to have a chihuahua as a kid. This makes me sad. It's end times.

I agree. They're focusing on this stupid brat who bruised her knee and ignoring all the dead chihuahuas!!! Priorities people!!!

by Anonymousreply 165December 16, 2022 4:34 PM

Didn't P-22 also kill a chihuahua?

by Anonymousreply 166December 16, 2022 4:36 PM

[quote] It's end times.

Oh, Mary! Get over it. Dogs have been eating each other for centuries. It's literally a dog-eat-dog world.

by Anonymousreply 167December 16, 2022 5:13 PM

R167 Have coyotes been attacking people's pet dogs in LA for years? I didn't know that.

Maybe the birds also attacked Bodega Bay.

by Anonymousreply 168December 16, 2022 5:28 PM

Not to mention 2 year old children.

by Anonymousreply 169December 16, 2022 5:29 PM

The two chihuahuas were in a back yard, that had a 6 foot fence. Two coyotes scaled the fence and killed/ate them. Excuse me, I find that a little troubling.

by Anonymousreply 170December 16, 2022 5:46 PM

[quote] I wrote 22 posts

You not only type fat, you type "My chair needs hydraulic reinforcement."

You make Roxane Gay look petite and anorexic

by Anonymousreply 171December 16, 2022 5:50 PM

R171 Well, I'm not fat, I'm 5' 10" and weigh 182. But interesting that I type fat. Maybe it's time to retire this dumb, immature put-down.

by Anonymousreply 172December 16, 2022 5:54 PM

The drought in SoCal has made wildlife foodsources scarce, so mountain lions, coyotes, and other predators are coming down from the hills and invading the suburbs for food and water. My boss in Monrovia has a family of bears patrolling his neighborhood on trash collection days.

by Anonymousreply 173December 16, 2022 5:57 PM

R173 The bears aren't even native to SoCal or the San Gabriel Mountains, they were introduced by naturalists in the 1930s. The last Grizzlies were killed off 20 years or so earlier. The state thought black bears (from up North) would increase tourism in the mountain/lake towns. Now they're patrolling the neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 174December 16, 2022 6:01 PM

[quote]Have coyotes been attacking people's pet dogs in LA for years?

Oh, sure, R168 -- for decades. We lost a 30 lb. schnauzer-mix to coyotes in Encino in the early-'80s. But back then (in the 1970s & 80s), coyote activity was almost exclusively limited to neighborhoods in the hills & canyons, or immediately adjacent to the hills. Now they are EVERYWHERE, in every neighborhood, across the floor of the San Fernando Valley.

As for the dog-owners in Granada Hills (at R163)...that is terribly sad, and I feel for them, but c'mon! How can I say this nicely? They set themselves up for failure with that (ahem) "extremely cluttered" and overgrown backyard. All kinds of nifty places for coyotes to hide & lay-in-wait for the little dogs to come out by themselves. (and they do pay attention to routines) And Granada Hills, really?? They should know better.

by Anonymousreply 175December 16, 2022 10:21 PM

A six-foot fence/wall is nothing to coyotes (nor is to certain dog breeds, like Huskies). It's about as difficult for them (to get over) as it would be for a human to step over white-picket fence on someone's lawn. They're incredibly agile, able to scale fences/walls up to ten feet tall with a running start. They basically run up the wall/fence, and pull themselves to the top with their front paws.

by Anonymousreply 176December 16, 2022 11:16 PM

R176 yup.

We have a lot of concrete walls between our homes and they use those as a little network to walk around. They also use it to look down to see if a dog is in its yard.

by Anonymousreply 177December 16, 2022 11:28 PM

Chihuahuas are tasty and no mess. One bite or at most two and you’re finished.

by Anonymousreply 178December 17, 2022 2:43 PM

If you feed coyotes american food, they'll become fat and too lazy to breed so many new pups. Use our cuisine to improve their culture

by Anonymousreply 179December 17, 2022 2:47 PM

[quote] If you feed coyotes american food, they'll become fat and too lazy to breed so many new pups. Use our cuisine to improve their culture

Nah, I feed my coyotes burritos ... and the neighbor's brats.

by Anonymousreply 180December 17, 2022 5:18 PM

They’re cute little dogs can’t we catch sterilize a bunch to control the population?

by Anonymousreply 181December 17, 2022 8:32 PM

When they are well fed and have a thick coat of fur, they are handsome. When they are underfed and mangy, not so much.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182December 17, 2022 9:39 PM

[quote] They’re cute little dogs can’t we catch sterilize a bunch to control the population?

I have a better idea. Lets sterilize the breeders and control the toddler population. 🤣

by Anonymousreply 183December 18, 2022 12:08 AM

Good idea r183

by Anonymousreply 184December 18, 2022 12:32 AM

These toddlers might be wearing scented pull-up diapers, fruity? Dogs have been known to eat fruit in the wild, berries, et cetera…Just a thought…

by Anonymousreply 185December 18, 2022 12:46 AM

That's scary as fuck, r177. They sound extremely cunning.

by Anonymousreply 186December 18, 2022 2:34 AM

The predators have learned to lurk near the ends of the local animal underpass for easy marks.

And they don't even bother to drag off their kills.

by Anonymousreply 187February 8, 2023 12:47 AM

R11 said it al

by Anonymousreply 188February 8, 2023 12:50 AM

R15- Are you typing from 1920?

There's so much OPEN LAND in Southern California

by Anonymousreply 189February 8, 2023 12:51 AM

Speaking of coyotes....I saw this story out of Henderson, NV today, which made me smile. Obviously, this could only happen with certain breeds (sizes) of dogs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190February 8, 2023 1:34 AM

[quote]Coyote attacks & tries to drag away toddler in Woodland Hills

Amateur.

by Anonymousreply 191February 8, 2023 1:42 AM

I would have just let the coyote take her. Nobody would have ever known

by Anonymousreply 192February 8, 2023 3:41 AM

I hope that dog has a nice life but I wonder if he had fun with the coyotes

by Anonymousreply 193February 8, 2023 10:16 PM

R189 The is a lot of open land in Southern California. Even in the city of Los Angeles, compared to other urban centers. Plenty of places for wild things to live, and they do. In the hills and the canyons, and Griffith Park.

by Anonymousreply 194February 9, 2023 3:59 PM

Do we really need more children?!!! This seems like a good way to control the spread of those filthy little humans

by Anonymousreply 195February 9, 2023 4:29 PM

Do we really need more children?!!! This seems like a good way to control the spread of those filthy little humans

by Anonymousreply 196February 9, 2023 4:29 PM

Coyotes are scavengers like other wild dogs. They’re going to live near humans

by Anonymousreply 197February 9, 2023 6:07 PM

R193: Just looking at the scars on his face, my guess would be: "Not so much." Not to mention that his scrotum was so badly infected, it had to be removed. I'm assuming that came from a bite to the nuts?? (How else would that happen?)

Meanwhile, there's new drama surrounding Ghost. A couple came forward claiming that he's their dog, Hades, who escaped his yard last summer. Upon comparing photos, the rescuers/trappers said it was not the same dog, but the couple were convinced. They showed up at the home of the rescuer caring for Ghost, while he awaited surgery. There was an argument, a car chase (rescuer jumped in her car with him to get away from the couple), the police were called, Animal Control was called....and poor Ghost ended up in a county shelter. Attorneys have been hired all around (naturally).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198February 9, 2023 7:30 PM

People are such scum.

by Anonymousreply 199February 9, 2023 8:03 PM

Even if I believed that were my dog if it came between him living in a country shelter while I fought over him after living a hard life or him being taken care of in a home and adopted by someone who would take care of him I think I’d try and compromise and maybe ask about adopting him or just being happy he was okay.

by Anonymousreply 200February 9, 2023 8:06 PM

It's a shame that Hades' dumbass owners couldn't be bothered to microchip him when he was younger. If they had, this could be resolved in a matter of minutes. But instead of coughing up $50 for microchip, these fools are now going to spend thousands of dollars on lawyers, fighting over this dog.

by Anonymousreply 201February 11, 2023 7:49 PM

Well, if that toddler hadn't been so fat...

by Anonymousreply 202February 11, 2023 7:58 PM

This will be a TV movie.

by Anonymousreply 203February 12, 2023 1:46 PM

When Buck was a kid, he wrestled a coyote and won.

by Anonymousreply 204February 12, 2023 1:57 PM

[quote]I keep telling people they have more to fear from coyotes than mountain lions.

This cunt OP must be a lot of fun at the grocery store, at restaurants, at family gatherings, marching down the street with her "FEAR COYOTE" sign.

by Anonymousreply 205February 12, 2023 1:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!