Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Aretha singing Nessun Dorma

Beautiful?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2022 6:14 AM

Holy shit I've been listening to this song just this week. I've been comparing versions of hers to Domingo etc. I like that she sings the one portion in English. I'm not crazy about how she enunciates "Dorma" the first time in the song. I LOVE Aretha's version but at the very end she has to scream scream ad-lib in an attempt to disguise she can't hold the note. It always annoys me (for just a second).

Thanks for the Aretha Franklin post OP.

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2022 5:01 AM

I don't care for the English portion but I understand she had little time to rehearse. It was brave of her to step in at the last minute.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2022 5:08 AM

video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2022 5:10 AM

I remember the night she performed this. It was amazing. Aretha could be such a bitch, but she had talent that other artists simply don't have.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2022 5:14 AM

Yes R3 and R4. R2 I was grateful because I didn't know what the words really meant and the part she chose to sing in English the words were beautiful. I assume she sang the translation of the original words. If she ad-libbed, all the more power to her.

by Anonymousreply 5December 3, 2022 5:24 AM

I love duets.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2022 5:38 AM

She struggled a bit with the deeper range but did it. Maybe that's why she showed off a bit in the higher range. Whatever - Who else would have stood in for Pavarotti in less than 24 hour notice?

by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2022 5:54 AM

We were so embarrassed for her..

by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2022 6:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!