Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I need some elder parent care advise. My Mom lives 45 minutes away from me and 2 hours from my brother.

I will be moving to Palm Springs full time next year. No family lives out where she is and most of her friends are moving closer to their kids up state or out of state. She is in her early 80's. She has 1.4 mil in investments not including her home worth 900,000 which is paid off. I would like her closer to me so should she buy a brand new home in the desert? Should she sell her home in the Valley or rent it out? She can pay cash for the new house which is about $650,000 without incentives which she qualifies for of 36,000 discount. DL finance experts is this wise move for her? She is opening to it. Plus we have 5 other family members living close by in the desert.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2022 4:55 AM

Humble-bragging.

by Anonymousreply 1December 3, 2022 4:37 AM

R1 can't stand upright.

by Anonymousreply 2December 3, 2022 4:51 AM

IMHO, OP yes she should move. Unless she would prefer to be where she is an eventually have a hired caregiver.

My parents moved almost 20 years ago from San Antonio to San Marcos. My sister lives there and has her clinic there. Dad is dead now and mom is over 90. She is able to live on her own, but my sister and nieces take care of her.

Your mom may not like the hassle of moving, but if she is a pretty independent person (and you description sounds like she is) she would probably be happier if you kids were able to be nearby and help take care of her.

by Anonymousreply 3December 3, 2022 5:41 AM

Thanks r3.

by Anonymousreply 4December 3, 2022 5:57 PM

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2022 4:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!