Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I found this video sad and sobering

I follow this guy on Youtube. In this one, he takes a day trip... alone. Heads to a distant thrift store and finds just one over-priced gewgaw. Goes to a family restaurant where it seems like they treated him rudely, so he decided not to eat there. Then a dog bites him.

How do you navigate the world as a single, aging gay man?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 9, 2022 6:41 AM

Same as if you were a single aging straight man, or woman.

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2022 9:01 PM

[quote]Then a dog bites him.

I don't know why I laughed at that part. Maybe it's because it seems so random.

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2022 9:04 PM

This story has everything but a dog nipping at your heels.

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 9:06 PM

And he only has TWO followers.

SAD!

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2022 9:07 PM

[quote]How do you navigate the world as a single, aging gay man?

You film it and upload it to your socials and get validation via clicks. Just like everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2022 9:07 PM

Why is he single?

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2022 9:08 PM

He could learn something from our Taylor in Malaysia.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2022 9:09 PM

Not even a minute in, and I'm bored.

BYEEEEEE!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2022 9:09 PM

OP is the man.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2022 9:11 PM

What a story! Everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end.

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2022 9:12 PM

Does is at least stop off at a rest area to take someone up on their tap for bj offer?

by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2022 9:12 PM

"Steven". Don't call me Steve!

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2022 9:13 PM

Karens, car crashes, house fires, a dude who drains culverts, a man who compares frozen food from different supermarket chains, people filming inside dead shopping malls, a guy who talks about cars in junkyards. These are the things I’m not proud to admit I waste time watching on YouTube. This dude seems right up my alley.

by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2022 9:17 PM

He’s a flight attendant?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2022 9:18 PM

I should have answered the road call request personally instead of sending my intern Prancer (who, it appears, is still working on his issues with certain elderly gay men).

I was needed there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2022 9:20 PM

OP you’re cute, but a bit verbose. Edit!

by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2022 9:20 PM

R14 Based on that pic, I totally would.

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2022 9:26 PM

Go to places you're more familiar with and bring a friend. Adventures are so much more fun when you share them with a friend 🙂

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2022 9:31 PM

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2022 9:34 PM

He seems fairly happy, OP. He’s out and about, whereas you are at home watching him on the web.

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2022 9:39 PM

R6 Uh, did you watch the video?

by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2022 9:41 PM

[quote] man who compares frozen food from different supermarket chains, people filming inside dead shopping malls

Link?

by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2022 9:41 PM

Fun fact: "Yermo" means BARREN.

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2022 9:42 PM

[quote]Heads to a distant thrift store and finds just one over-priced gewgaw.

"Have you found a TREASURE?"

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2022 9:43 PM

[quote] "Have you found a TREASURE?"

I found ALL my treasures, at JB's fantastic finds!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2022 9:51 PM

Did you see the video about his new false teeth? Priceless. Yes, I think I would prefer Taylor's life in Malaysia to this guy's in Las Vegas. But it just proves we are everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2022 9:59 PM

I skimmed though the video. He doesn't seem that sad to me. Yermo is a little sad, but he seems to be ok.

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2022 10:02 PM

It's hot until it speaks.

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2022 10:05 PM

He's a recovering alcoholic many years sober. He's so upbeat I wonder if he's on those magical prescription drugs that prevent you from ever getting depressed or cynical?

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2022 10:06 PM

I’m going to write a Broadway musical about this man. Maybe get Lee Wilkof to star?

The big black woman, blow the roof off, number will be at Peggy Sue’s.

I still need to figure whether that Peggy Sue’s number is reality or if it should be played dream sequence because of the dog bite.

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2022 10:06 PM

I don't see any tragedy there. A guy who lives alone went on a day trip. So what?

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2022 10:08 PM

I think you're much more upset about this guys minor travails than he is.

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2022 10:10 PM

[quote] I don't see any tragedy there. A guy who lives alone went on a day trip. So what?

Co-dependent and insecure people always look down on others who like to do things by themselves.

They don't realize that introverts are actually happier doing things alone, and on their own schedule.

by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2022 10:14 PM

I don't see what's so sad, OP

It's his life not mine. I wouldn't drive two hours one-way to go to a shitty junk shop in the middle of nowhere but certainly I've done less and worse with the better part of a morning and afternoon than his experience.

Hell, I spend a couple hours most days looking through art and antiques from dealers and auction houses and for all that I probably buy something once a month on average. Who am I to criticize some guy who likes to ride into the desert to look at granny glassware and ceramic cats?

For many people, coupled or single, part of their time not working, socializing, or sleeping is spent at what must seem to others to be horribly mundane pursuits: gee-gaw thrifting in the desert, searching online auction catalogues, watching YouTube videos of dead shopping malls, scrolling quickly past Megan Markle and Janet Jackson threads on Data lounge, cleaning the cat litter box, going to the gym...

I'm older than this guy and fell lucky to have what is, for me, an interesting life and good friends and more spontaneity and adventure than I had as a younger man, but it's not the Algonquin round table 24/7. And really, if I were to share anything about my life, I would share not the more glittering bits but the mundane, reflective parts. The one is of the moment and private, you had to be there; the other is presentation, and people will like it or not.

He's comfortable sharing his private time and reflections -- and hardly alone in that. I'm not of mind that I want to share anything branded under my own name. His content doesn't interest me, I've no desire to see more, but neither does it seem sad or some hard truth harbinger of aging (maybe of Anericans' love of their cars and driving.)

Look around, it's a world of far, far sadder shit if that's what you seek.

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2022 10:23 PM

I'm angry about the dog....and how the owner just walked off, not even apologizing and asking if he was ok. Hopefully, the dog is up to date with rabie shots. He seemed to enjoy himself anyway, in spite of driving 200 miles to a hole in the wall thrift shop....and only buying a cat statue. The diner turned out to be a dud, too.

by Anonymousreply 35December 2, 2022 11:17 PM

Oh dear. Just become snotty and reclusive. Dead people’s stuff is gross and for poors. And diner food is too! Get better taste lonely guy!

by Anonymousreply 36December 2, 2022 11:26 PM

[quote] He seemed to enjoy himself anyway, in spite of driving 200 miles to a hole in the wall thrift shop....and only buying a cat statue. The diner turned out to be a dud, too.

This guy needs to learn how to edit his videos to make them more interesting.

If something is a dud, then CUT IT from the video!

Try to make your Vlogging as enjoyable for the viewer, as possible.

by Anonymousreply 37December 2, 2022 11:32 PM

Without his glasses, he looks like an older Sean Connery....when he had the grey beard, and the dark eyebrows.

by Anonymousreply 38December 3, 2022 12:01 AM

I too was upset about the dog owner just walking off. That was unspeakably rude. I felt bad for him.

by Anonymousreply 39December 3, 2022 12:02 AM

I found this to be slightly amusing. At least he's out of the house.

by Anonymousreply 40December 3, 2022 3:08 AM

I've seen a few of his videos in the past. I saw one where he was on a layover in Portland. I believe he works as a flight attendant for Spirit Airlines. He has a Portuguese surname and is originally from New England.

by Anonymousreply 41December 3, 2022 3:12 AM

His life still looks more fun than mine.

by Anonymousreply 42December 3, 2022 3:43 AM

3 cats in a studio apartment ?

by Anonymousreply 43December 3, 2022 4:28 AM

And he loves his cats.

by Anonymousreply 44December 3, 2022 4:30 AM

I like him he’s really cool. I subscribed.

by Anonymousreply 45December 3, 2022 4:37 AM

I didn't watch it because I don't want to get any more depressed tonight and my husband is asleep next to me. I don't have headphones or earbuds.

My difficult dad called me about a million times today but I only answered once and told him I was taking my kids to get our covid vaccines. Plus I have a cold. Should I not have gotten the vaccine? But he is in Vegas in a group home and probably scared and lonely. I can't dedicate my entire life to talking to him though.

It's starting to get cold on the East Coast, but I can't imagine living in the middle of nowhere. Does he not have any closer thrift shops?

My mom had this pre-owned dog about 20 years ago. Smallish but not tiny. I used to take it for walks and stuff. Once I took it to a flea market and it bit this kid. Holy Shit! I never had a dog who bit before. The kid's dad yelled at his son for petting a dog without asking. Another time the dog bit some guy's heel there, and again the guy just moved on. Third time I was walking the dog around my mom's block, and these high school boys were walking past us. Dog nipped or bit one of them, but they were acting too macho to make a big deal of it. Terrible I know. We were totally lucky not to be threatened with a law suit.

by Anonymousreply 46December 3, 2022 4:46 AM

are you a 'tard, r46?

by Anonymousreply 47December 3, 2022 5:13 AM

I wouldn’t consider that place in Yermo a “thrift shop”, which I think of as a place where donated items are sold for charity. It looked more like a consignment antiques store.

by Anonymousreply 48December 3, 2022 5:22 AM

The gentleman might receive a more cordial reception if he were to elicit his subjects' permission before taping them.

Is Nevada a "stand your ground" state? If so, the little dog may have acted within its rights. "Grrr get that fuckin' phone outta my face!"

by Anonymousreply 49December 3, 2022 7:58 AM

Oh. I was just looking through his video list on YoutTube and found this one entitled "Awful turbulence, plans for a giveaway, and crying over my dinner".

He's like the Annie Lennox of YouTubers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 3, 2022 8:12 AM

Christmas decorations with cat stockings and Costco blanket:

by Anonymousreply 51December 3, 2022 8:14 AM

Christmas decorations with cat stockings and Costco blanket:

(Sorry whores for the double post ).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 3, 2022 8:15 AM

What exactly do you find sad about it? He decided to go on a little adventure and made it happen. Some of us are just lone wolves who prefer our own company, it's just a preference, nothing sad about that.

by Anonymousreply 53December 3, 2022 10:05 AM

OP stop worrying about him (assume you are not him yourself), he is doing just fine, he has 8,000+ subscribers to interact with, he enjoys uploading those videos and reading the comments etc, also those videos bring ad share revenue for him, they are not "sad and sobering", it's a source of additional income for him!

by Anonymousreply 54December 3, 2022 10:23 AM

He’s hot on Instagram. He’s all buff and shit.

by Anonymousreply 55December 3, 2022 10:32 AM

what's his insta address ?

by Anonymousreply 56December 3, 2022 11:04 AM

R56 you don't know how to google a person? try it, the 4th in the searching result from google

by Anonymousreply 57December 3, 2022 11:12 AM

I like him and find going on a day trip with a sense of humor and curiosity is positive and cool, not lonely and sad.

If I were a flight attendant I would not feel like traveling on my day off.

But I guess roadtrips are different.

by Anonymousreply 58December 3, 2022 4:16 PM

*Much* more fun...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 3, 2022 4:29 PM

r49 Yermo is in California, not Nevada.

by Anonymousreply 60December 3, 2022 4:49 PM

[quote]He has a Portuguese surname and is originally from New England.

His name is on his YouTube channel: Steven Pereira.

by Anonymousreply 61December 3, 2022 4:50 PM

10 years ago I was driving on I15 and in need of a restroom. I drove through Yermo looking for one. Only place open was that thrift store. The restroom was worse than peeing in an alley. Zero charm zero comfort. Yermo IS a ghost town. I can't believe anyone would video that place. YUK

by Anonymousreply 62December 3, 2022 4:57 PM

I think I'd be interested if he did a video without a shirt on. He does seem pretty buff.

by Anonymousreply 63December 3, 2022 5:24 PM

Since he's of Portuguese descent, I knew he'd be hairy. Turns out he held the title of 'Mr. Boston Bear' back in 2014.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 3, 2022 5:55 PM

Going through old photos showing pics of himself from back when he had hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 3, 2022 6:01 PM

I like solo drives. I can listen to music or audiobooks while I enjoy the sights.

by Anonymousreply 66December 3, 2022 6:08 PM

OP, do you like watching random small time vloggers too?

by Anonymousreply 67December 3, 2022 6:26 PM

certainly he is on bbrt, r64.

by Anonymousreply 68December 3, 2022 8:19 PM

His life seems pretty great.

by Anonymousreply 69December 4, 2022 5:54 PM

[quote] I found this video sad and sobering

I watched this video and then due to it being a cold, rainy day yesterday, went down the rabbit hole and watched a few of his videos out of laziness. I think what these videos show is optimism, resilience, and being contented in the day to day from someone who seems to have had his share of ups and downs. I watched some of the earlier videos. This guy was homeless living out of a van for years, pursued his dream of becoming a flight attendant somewhat recently, so I presume he pursued this as an eldergay, and seems to be thriving. He also purchased a home last year and leased a car after having to take the Vegas bus system to and from the airport for work for years. He seems to have found this hobby on YouTube which allows him to connect with strangers, encourage/advise those looking to be flight attendants, and travels with his job to be having regular adventures to share.

[quote] How do you navigate the world as a single, aging gay man?

I'm 41 and I am trying to plan my life as someone who does not have a close relationship with my family and is not counting on a partner. I think navigating the world as an aging gay man means trying to create as much security as possible to live a comfortable life. It means being OK with yourself, enjoying being alone, however you choose to spend that time, and trying to make connections where you can. Being gay is not for pussies. For me it is finding contentment in the day to day and accruing as much financial security as possible over the next ten years so that I don't have to rely on anyone.

by Anonymousreply 70December 4, 2022 6:28 PM

He's 41?

by Anonymousreply 71December 4, 2022 9:28 PM

He has a lot of followers. He seems happy. Leave him alone.

by Anonymousreply 72December 4, 2022 10:06 PM

OP thinks it’s sad that someone isn’t living out his days indulging in orgies every day. It’s sobering to him. To normal people, this is normal everyday life. His a flight attendant. He travels for a living. That’s exciting and interesting.

by Anonymousreply 73December 4, 2022 10:07 PM

*Hes

by Anonymousreply 74December 4, 2022 10:07 PM

So that's what happened to Charlie Brown!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75December 4, 2022 10:09 PM

Speaking of sad and sobering, why don't any of you middle aged to 105 yr. olds DLers have a YouTube channel? It's depressing how YouTube is filled with boring, young, shirtless air heads. Real life is mundane, but I want to see people who are going through the same challenges that I face. There are no other YouTube channels (other than this guy) representing older gay men. Zero!

by Anonymousreply 76December 4, 2022 10:29 PM

My brother, the airplane waitress. Weren't the Boston Bear,cream pies bad enough? Did you have to degrade us? Perhaps, it's natural. Maybe, that's why Edween left us. With this money I can get away from you and everything that smells of grease, including your soiled sex toys.

by Anonymousreply 77December 4, 2022 11:24 PM

R77 Get out of this house. Get out before I kill you!

by Anonymousreply 78December 5, 2022 9:28 AM

"i'm middle aged "...how many people live to be 140 yo ?

by Anonymousreply 79December 5, 2022 10:14 AM

The video he uploaded yesterday revealed a lot about his past. He read out a gratitude list he had written up earlier in the day. #1 thing he included was his recovery which happened about a decade earlier. I don't know if it was for drugs or alcohol or both, He explained he was living in the South End of Boston and hadn't paid his rent in several months and was purposely avoiding his landlord who lived across the street for him in Boston's South End. He was so close to homelessness he would walk around his neighborhood looking for exterior vestibules/alcoves where he could sleep once he lost his housing.

He started working as a flight attendant about five years ago. He first was hired as a reserve flight attendant and his pay was so low he survived by eating ramen noodles. He also has gratitude for the Covid-19 crisis in spite of all the people who died from it because he was working so much yet he had no place to go to spend his earnings. So he ended up amassing savings which is how he had enough money to but the apartment where he currently lives.

by Anonymousreply 80December 7, 2022 4:29 PM

Nothing about this guys life seems sad.

by Anonymousreply 81December 7, 2022 5:14 PM

If that bitch clipped her nails and trimmed the beard before broadcasting her sorry face, she'd still be gross. And that voice. Butch up, queenie, nobody wants a faggy daddy

by Anonymousreply 82December 7, 2022 5:16 PM

Now R82 is the one who's really going to be a sad, lonely aging gay man.

by Anonymousreply 83December 7, 2022 5:20 PM

R83 I may be, but I don't put my ass on youtube

by Anonymousreply 84December 7, 2022 5:21 PM

[quote]I think what these videos show is optimism, resilience, and being contented in the day to day from someone who seems to have had his share of ups and downs.

I think his story is inspiring - and Spirit Airlines is like "Ghetto Air" so that's no easy job, particularly if you're struggling with addiction.

There are a lot of people struggling out there & these kinds of stories about finding happiness where & how you can, even if you fallen down in the past, might give hope to others .

by Anonymousreply 85December 7, 2022 10:17 PM

I prefer Coco Peru.

by Anonymousreply 86December 7, 2022 10:37 PM

I viewed his videos and he seems to be a good human being, likable Why did someone have to post his leather bear stuff? I will never understand that aspect of gay life. There is a photo of him getting rimmed, I assume by a stranger What makes someone enjoy bdsm, please explain. Yikers!

by Anonymousreply 87December 8, 2022 12:27 AM

Wait, what? He does porn?

by Anonymousreply 88December 8, 2022 10:33 AM

The only sad thing is how people can work full-time jobs and still not be able to afford basic necessities.

by Anonymousreply 89December 8, 2022 11:54 AM

R89 - Part of the problem is that the economy is based on a two-person worker household. The price of everything, especially housing, is based on the idea of two middle/upper-middle class breadwinners. God help you if you're single, widowed, or married to someone who doesn't work. You would need to earn a minimum of $75K a year (more in a big city) just to stay afloat. I live in a mid-size Southern city and mediocre one-bedroom apartments start at $1500/month and a 1200 sf older house in an iffy neighborhood is at least $300K. The median salary here is $50K. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 90December 8, 2022 12:02 PM

He has a two day layover in Manchester, New Hampshire. Another reason why Spirit Airlines sucks. They give their cabin crew 48 hr. layovers in podunk towns like Manchester, NH. Anyhow Steven seems to be enjoying himself there. He found a cat themed bookstore/cafe and he just loves anything to do with cats.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 8, 2022 11:15 PM

Question for any airline personnel out there: when you have a layover a city, does the airline reimburse you for the cost of food/hotel? Given how cheap airlines are, I could see them forcing their staff (except for the pilots) to pay all or part of their lodgings.

by Anonymousreply 92December 9, 2022 12:13 AM

the erasmus of flight attendants.

by Anonymousreply 93December 9, 2022 12:22 AM

He seems pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 94December 9, 2022 3:55 AM

R92, I am not in the airline industry but did watch his videos last week when OP posted this. Apparently the airlines pay for the hotel rooms. They are put on a shuttle and taken to their room. I do not believe they pay for food. He pack this mini coolers with homemade food and snacks for when they get to to the hotel.

by Anonymousreply 95December 9, 2022 6:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!