Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Carnival passenger doesn't know how he ended up in the Ocean

An Alabama man who rescuers pulled from the Gulf of Mexico hours after he was reported missing from a cruise ship doesn't know how he wound up in the water, he told ABC.

James Michael Grimes, who treaded water for a large part of Thanksgiving Day before he was rescued, doesn't remember falling off the Carnival Valor, he said in an interview aired Friday on "Good Morning America." The 28-year-old had lost consciousness and simply awoke in the water, he said.

"I came to. ... I was in the water with no boat in sight," Grimes told ABC. Grimes and his family were just hours into a cruise -- departing Thanksgiving eve from New Orleans to Mexico -- when he vanished. His eventual rescue, which happened after a bulk carrier crew saw him in the water and alerted the US Coast Guard, was "one of those Thanksgiving miracles," a Coast Guard official has said.

Grimes was at an onboard bar with his sister before walking off to use a restroom around 11 the night before Thanksgiving, his sister recalled, according to a Carnival statement to CNN. He'd had drinks on the Valor, but was not inebriated, Grimes told ABC. He doesn't remember leaving to find a bathroom, he said. He simply "regained consciousness" in the ocean, with the Valor nowhere to be seen, he told ABC.

The next many hours -- perhaps more than 15, the Coast Guard has said -- Grimes just tried to stay afloat and was "dead set on making it out of there," the told ABC.

"I was never accepting that this is it -- this is going to be the end of my life," he told the TV network. 'It scared me ... all I could see was a fin'

He battled confusion, fatigue, and some sort of creature below. "It came up on me really quick. And I went under, and I could see it. And it wasn't a shark, I don't believe. But it had more like a flat mouth, and it came up and bumped one of my legs, and I kicked it with the other leg. It scared me, not knowing what it was ... all I could see was a fin," he told ABC.

At another point, Grimes grabbed a floating stick that "looked like bamboo" -- and he started chewing it. "It gave some type of flavor in my mouth other than saltwater," he told ABC.

When Thanksgiving day started passing into evening, the water "started getting colder -- at that time, I thought, you know, 'How much longer am I going to have to be out here?'" he said.

Grimes' family had reported him missing at noon on Thanksgiving. The ship called the Coast Guard that afternoon, and the service sent an alert to all mariners in the Gulf to scan the water for him. The water temperature in the Gulf was just above 70 degrees on Thanksgiving night, Lt. Seth Gross, a search and rescue coordinator for the USCG, told CNN last week.

Grimes eventually saw lights from a tanker ship, and swam toward it, he told ABC. That ship's crew spotted him around 8:25 p.m. and alerted the Coast Guard, which sent a helicopter crew to hoist him out of the water, the service has said.

"The first thing I actually told (the Coast Guard rescuer) was, 'I don't have any clothes on,' because I didn't. I ... stripped out of everything," Grimes recalled to ABC. "He said, 'That's fine.' ... I was just thinking, 'Thank you. You are like a guardian angel coming down for me.'"

Grimes was taken to medical personnel at a New Orleans airport, and then transferred to a hospital. Grimes lost some weight from the ordeal, ABC reported. He said the experience changed him, but he is not opposed to going on another cruise.

"I might not get within 10 foot of the rails, but I definitely would be open to go on another cruise, because I really didn't get to go on this one," he told ABC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2022 7:14 PM

I bet some guy slipped him a mickey. Now, who-done-it?

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2022 7:55 PM

He doesn't recall, just liked I don't recall my participation in trying to overthrow the government

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2022 7:57 PM

If only his cousin, Gail Grimes, had thought of this method of losing weight, she might still be alive.

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 7:57 PM

drunk ass redneck

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2022 7:59 PM

Was Goofy onboard?

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2022 8:02 PM

Probably tried to commit suicide and then changed his mind. Doesn't want to admit it

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2022 8:07 PM

The recount of the animal that came up to him freaked me out. Ugh!

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2022 8:25 PM

yeah, you usually don't remember anything when you're wasted.

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2022 8:50 PM

Something doesn't add up here. I'm not sure anyone would slip him a mickey though. He's not gross but not someone anyone would feel so strongly about to get into bed. He looks like any other redneck that if drunk would fuck whatever is available.

by Anonymousreply 9December 4, 2022 5:57 AM

We’re on it, Boz!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 4, 2022 6:02 AM

A Carnival Cruise will do that to you.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2022 6:02 AM

Uhmm…gravity?!

by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2022 6:38 AM

drunk, stoned, stoopid...

by Anonymousreply 13December 4, 2022 7:05 AM

Meth

by Anonymousreply 14December 4, 2022 7:21 AM

Shut up and go to rehab you idiot redneck

by Anonymousreply 15December 4, 2022 10:55 AM

Perhaps he was banging on the glass, like he does at his brothers hockey games?

by Anonymousreply 16December 4, 2022 11:05 AM

Is he fat?

by Anonymousreply 17December 4, 2022 11:52 AM

Chilling. Despite the 70 degree water.

by Anonymousreply 18December 4, 2022 12:03 PM

I like the other threads on this better

by Anonymousreply 19December 4, 2022 9:21 PM

R17, yes. He landed on a blue whale and the whale told him to get his fat ass off.

by Anonymousreply 20December 4, 2022 9:55 PM

[quote] I like the other threads on this better

They’d be better with Shelley Hack!

by Anonymousreply 21December 4, 2022 10:18 PM

If he blacked out, he wouldn't know for sure if he drank to inebriation or not. Not remembering doing so proves nothing.

by Anonymousreply 22December 5, 2022 12:16 AM

I suspect foul play!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 5, 2022 4:37 AM

“I only thought the entertainment was on the ship!”

by Anonymousreply 24December 5, 2022 4:52 AM

It was that bitch Kathie Lee Gifford! All the while singing "In the mornin', In the evenin', Ain't we got fun!"

by Anonymousreply 25December 5, 2022 4:57 AM

[quote] Meth

If it were meth, he wouldn't have ended up overboard.

My guess is: drunk and stupid. Suicidal is a good guess, too, though.

Another dumb ass causing resources (Coast Guard) to be wasted on shit like this.

by Anonymousreply 26December 5, 2022 5:26 AM

[quote] It was that bitch Kathie Lee Gifford! All the while singing "In the mornin', In the evenin', Ain't we got fun!"

Is she legally responsible if he dove overboard to escape her singing?

by Anonymousreply 27December 5, 2022 5:48 PM

I think that would be fair and if I was on the Jury I would hold out for a really large settlement and maybe bankrupt that broad

by Anonymousreply 28December 5, 2022 7:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!