Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York Film Critics Circle awards

Voting underway now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2022 7:59 PM

[quote]Marcel The Shell With Shoes On

I've never heard of this, but based on the title alone, I must.

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2022 2:37 PM

It has a rare 99% on RT

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2022 2:47 PM

The suspense is killing me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 2:50 PM

Tiffany Haddish and Regina Hall won here. I wouldn’t put much substantive value with the NY critics.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2022 2:50 PM

Ooooh Ke Huy Quan won for Supporting Actor!

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2022 2:56 PM

Paul Mescal is sticking his bussy into all sorts of successful projects, he has a very good agent.

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2022 3:00 PM

The only reason Everything Everywhere All At Once is getting praise everywhere all at once is because of the Asian cast. Seriously this movie is horrible. Vomit nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2022 3:01 PM

I disagree completely, I hope it gets a BP nom.

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2022 3:02 PM

NYFCC jumped the shark 25 years ago when they gave Cameron Diaz Best Actress for There's Something About Mary.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2022 3:16 PM

Keke Palmer gets Supporting Actress! So happy. She’s fantastic in Nope.

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2022 3:27 PM

Oh god, she was fucking terrible.

by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2022 3:35 PM

EEAAO was a massive hit, it's goofy and melodramatic and action-filled and like nothing else - I think we should be happy when weird movies like it get embraced, whether we like them or not. What, should we just want the same dull-as-dishwater biopics and serious issue dramas nominated every goddamned year for everything?

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2022 3:40 PM

Helen Mirren Best Actress for "Old Lady Flashes Her Baps".

by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2022 3:45 PM

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Claudio Miranda, Top Gun: Maverick

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2022 3:46 PM

Wouldn’t be surprised if Ke Huy Quan sweeps all the way to the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2022 3:47 PM

r13 pretty sure that awards goes to Emma Thompson this year

by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2022 3:49 PM

I don't get the Ke Huy Quan love. He was kind of terrible in a really awful, overrated movie.

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2022 3:51 PM

I agree. I think people are swept up in Quan's story and nostalgia for him as a child actor (and he wasn't any good back then, either).

It's a really annoying movie and I don't think it's going to age well at all. Give it a few years, and people are going to be embarrassed by how they fell for it.

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2022 4:00 PM

Oh yes, it couldn't possibly be that others have a different taste than you, we're definitely all just deluded people who will wake up in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2022 4:05 PM

Best International Film:

EO (Poland)

(And, jeez, R19, take the Auditor of the Month award out of your ass!)

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2022 4:13 PM

BEST SCREENPLAY

Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin

by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2022 4:17 PM

[quote] Ooooh Ke Huy Quan won for Supporting Actor!

"You call him Doctah Jones!"

by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2022 4:18 PM

Best Actress Emma Thompson "Pussy Sings The Blues"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2022 4:19 PM

R18: Exactly. People will praise and vote for trash like Coda and Everything Everywhere to appear woke but in a few years nobody will even remember these pieces of shit.

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2022 4:26 PM

[R18] I'm gay, I love movies, and loved both Coda and Everything Everywhere -- so if you hate movies, go read one of the threads about the World Cup or something.

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2022 4:31 PM

BEST ACTOR: Colin Farrell, After Yang and The Banshees of Inisherin

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2022 4:42 PM

Best Actress?

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2022 4:48 PM

I'm not the one who trashed CODA, R25. It's a movie that I quite enjoyed. EEAAO is a yappy little Chihuahua of a movie though. Its desperation for attention and approval is exhausting.

Good for Colin Farrell. I'm glad they awarded him, and even included After Yang. Between those movies and The Batman, he really did have a great year.

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2022 4:56 PM

BEST ACTRESS: Cate Blanchett, TÁR

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2022 5:07 PM

Blanchett was always going to win that award. I'm not sure whether she'll ultimately win the Oscar (although I think she's the front-runner), but she's going to absolutely dominate the critics' groups.

by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2022 5:21 PM

There will be a backlash for the role’s homophobia which the flacks for rival films will encourage.

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2022 5:27 PM

BEST DIRECTOR: S. S. Rajamouli, RRR

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2022 5:28 PM

CODA is lit 🔥

by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2022 5:32 PM

BEST FILM: TÁR

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2022 5:33 PM

Tár will be this year’s Power of the Dog.

by Anonymousreply 35December 2, 2022 5:34 PM

[quote] [[R18]] I'm gay, I love movies, and loved both Coda and Everything Everywhere -- so if you hate movies, go read one of the threads about the World Cup or something.

I don;t think anyone has put you in charge of anything here.

Also, believe it or not, people are allowed to post different opinions on movies than you have.

Try to grow up a little bit.

by Anonymousreply 36December 2, 2022 5:36 PM

Tár will be this year's Drive My Car. It'll be the film snob choice that gets a couple major nominations, but really only has a shot in one category.

by Anonymousreply 37December 2, 2022 5:44 PM

[quote]Helen Mirren Best Actress for "Old Lady Flashes Her Baps".

I believe you mean old teats, r13.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 2, 2022 7:04 PM

I'm another who didn't like EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE, etc. It was like a caricature of a film made for people with severe ADHD and after a while I just sat there not caring whatever the fuck was going on.

While I liked the performances in BANSHEES - particularly Farrell's - the script is weak, and the macabre element is so OTT that you begin to realize how contrived it all is. Plus it gets rather dull and repetitive after a while. McDonaugh is a long way from his best theater work - even the recent HANGMEN was second-rate, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 39December 2, 2022 8:09 PM

At least Jamie Lee Curtis didn't win for her terrible performance.

by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2022 8:48 PM

Banshees and Tar were both thoughtful, oddly funny, and smart films. Nice to see the wins here.

by Anonymousreply 41December 4, 2022 7:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!