Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York Magazine- “ It’s Another Chapter of Racism and the Royal Family”

Until recently, perhaps the biggest contretemps King Charles III had faced during his young reign involved his irritation at having to use faulty pens. That changed this week.

On Wednesday, longtime royal aide Lady Susan Hussey said she was leaving her role after she made prejudiced comments to a Black guest at a Buckingham Palace reception — an episode that immediately brought to mind Duchess of Sussex Meghan Markle’s explosive allegation of royal racism last year.

At the reception, held Tuesday for organizations working against violence against women and girls, Hussey encountered Ngozi Fulani, who works for Sistah Space, an organization that helps women of African and Caribbean descent who have been victims of domestic violence. In a tweet that included a recap of the events, Fulani recounts how a woman she refers to only as “Lady SH” made a series of increasingly uncomfortable remarks about Fulani’s ethnic background, at one point asking her, “What part of Africa are YOU from?” Despite Fulani’s insistence that she had born and raised in England, Hussey kept pressing. Fulani tweeted that, after telling her that her parents had come to the U.K. in the 1950s, Hussey declared, “I knew we’d get there in the end, you’re Caribbean!””

The woman was identified in the press as Hussey, though Buckingham Police did not confirm her identity. In a statement, a palace spokesperson said, “We take this incident extremely seriously and have investigated immediately to establish the full details. In this instance, unacceptable and deeply regrettable comments have been made.” The spokesperson also specified that Hussey wanted to apologize for the incident and was stepping away from her role with the royals.

The palace’s quick response, which presumably included shoving Hussey out the door, contrasted with its hesitance to address the allegation Markle made during a blockbuster interview with Oprah Winfrey last year. The Duchess of Sussex claimed that, before she and Prince Harry’s son Archie was born, unnamed royals had raised concerns about his potential skin color. The palace’s brief statement days 36 hours later — in which it said, “While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately” — was criticized by many.

Per The Telegraph, Hussey had served as a lady-in-waiting for Queen Elizabeth II for more than 60 years and had stepped into an honorary role — formally a lady of the household — under King Charles III. She is a close friend of the king and is Prince William’s godmother. William’s spokesperson, speaking for himself, said, “Obviously, I wasn’t there, but racism has no place in our society. The comments were unacceptable, and it is right that the individual has stepped aside with immediate effect.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2022 8:22 PM

This woman has resigned from her non-paid honorary volunteer position. Just let this story die with regards to Lady Susan Hussey.

However, the BRF Royal Machine DOES have a big problem with racism which needs to be discussed.

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2022 12:21 PM

Yeah The Queen and Charles and William had to be aware of this old bitches attitude. They approved it by ignoring it too.

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2022 12:27 PM

The writers at NYMag (for some reason) are very Team Harkle; I don't think they even try to hide their bias

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 12:35 PM

R3 this article has NOTHING to do with them.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2022 12:43 PM

Her name " Ngozi Fulani " is made up - she's actually Born Marlene - Fine change your name but don't turn up dressed like an Obeah woman , with a mixed up name, claim African ancestry then claim to be British whilst complaining she's not accepted !

On the subject of her name : The Fulani are a Sahelian Muslim tribe very active in the slave trade in the past . Ngozi is a Bantu ( probably Igbo south eastern name of pagan tribes who had no contact or very little with the Fulani and were themselves frequently sold into slavery .) This woman is a serial agitator and professional race grifter. If she doesn't want to be asked " where shes from" maybe she should just stay indoors for the rest of her life . Honestly , some Caribbeans are ,as Churchill once said of the Ulster Catholics , more than ready to walk 50 miles to take offence . I was and still am anti racism but this professional chippiness from many of that community does them or no one else any favours . Frankly , harsh as it may seem, I'm sick of the communities constant whining .

After years of living in South London I was at my wits end with this adolescent posturing and endless blame game . I now live abroad and am constantly asked where I'm from . No big deal . I will grant that the royal aide was somewhat brusque and pushy but what on earth does one expect from the British elite ? They are frequently rude , pushy , crassly insensitive and aggressive...remember Prince Phillip ? she should count herself lucky !

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2022 4:26 PM

Jesus. It’s ridiculous that Megan gets to frame herself as a victim of racism when it’s obvious people don’t like her because she’s a nut job actress.

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2022 4:28 PM

I'm really glad this is getting the attention it deserves. Shine a light on all of the monarchy's problems. It's about damn time. These people have had a free ride for far too long.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2022 4:30 PM

The past week of the mainstream media repeating Markle's long-debunked claims as fact has certainly been an interesting example of the mainstream media perpetuating fake news without question.

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2022 7:26 PM

[quote] The past week of the mainstream media repeating Markle's long-debunked claims as fact has certainly been an interesting example of the mainstream media perpetuating fake news without question.

Interesting, isn’t it, R8?

Seems that the full story of the encounter of Marlene Headley, er Ngozi Falumi, with Lady Susan Hussey has yet to emerge.

Marlene has demonstrated that she is a liar with her words betraying her actions, so her story may be “her truth” versus THE truth. (Interesting that this has been another issue involving someone in the BRF and a court of law. What’s even more interesting is that Headley’s proven lies involve said member of the BRF. Do they also involve LSH?)

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2022 7:37 PM

The express stated purpose of the event was an Africa/Caribbean heritage thing. The old dame was trying to make a good show and be interested and hospitable. She shouldn't have touched anybody's hair or phrased it as, "your REAL country" of origin. But she didn't mean any harm and was actually trying to show the interest she thought called for by the event theme. She's 83 years old. The "GOTCHA's" are not in good faith here.

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2022 7:44 PM

R1. Since you say the royal family has a big race problem, I guess they must have.

by Anonymousreply 11December 5, 2022 4:39 AM

Ummm - maybe NY Magazine should watch more GB News. Not that their version of "research" extends that far.

GB News had on not one, but two separate people on there talking about how much Nelson Mandela himself liked Lady Hussey and stayed in touch with her after he met her when she accompanied the Queen. She and her husband hosted a dinner for him and they were friends.

If she was good enough for MAn dela, she was good enough for Marlene Headly pretending to be Ngozi Fulani.

Also, why did Headly adopt the name of a tribe of slavetraders?

Who is the real racist here?? It's obviously "Fulani".

by Anonymousreply 12December 5, 2022 4:47 AM

^^ Mandela. I hate typing on my phone

by Anonymousreply 13December 5, 2022 4:48 AM

The dumb cunt turns up to Buckingham Palace wrapped in a leopard print sarong looking like the long -lost queen of some African country in her national dress, what the fuck does she expect! If she'd been dressed in a twinset and pearls, I doubt the elderly lady would have reason to question where she was from.

by Anonymousreply 14December 5, 2022 4:53 AM

R14, by your logic if she had attended the event wearing a kimono then the racist old bar would have been right to insist she was Japanese? The bigger issue us that after the woman told her the first time she was British., the old hag kept hounding her. If she does not understand that British people wear leopard sarongs, may she needs to get out amongst regular people more often.

by Anonymousreply 15December 5, 2022 4:17 PM

If we say the R word enough, maybe someone will care!

by Anonymousreply 16December 5, 2022 4:31 PM

The BRF died the moment Liz croak. The remaining ones just make the public realize how silly this entire institution is.

by Anonymousreply 17December 5, 2022 4:53 PM

It's pretty funny how the BRF trolls always show their racism.

by Anonymousreply 18December 5, 2022 7:18 PM

R17, It’s a juvenile game of one-upmanship between them and their fan bases too. It’s all such nonsense already and I’d venture to say the majority feels this way.

by Anonymousreply 19December 5, 2022 7:31 PM

[quote] The writers at NYMag (for some reason) are very Team Harkle

Except for the recent story that made Meghan look like a complete asshole.

by Anonymousreply 20December 5, 2022 8:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!