Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Worst Hollywood Golden age mother with a "madam nice" persona

We all know about Crawford, Davis, Lana turner or McLaine, but many others are thought of as nice people, sort of flew under the radar, but were in fact horrible mothers. Who are they? and who is the worst ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 3, 2022 12:12 PM

Why did this cunt not see her kid for 6 years ? Famous actress type Women back then were worse mothers than we thought, huh?

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2022 12:30 PM

You are weird.

She left her husband for a another man and her ex-husband retaliated by refusing their daughter to contact.

Something about morality.

Bergman suffered a career set back too because of this.

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2022 12:49 PM

refusing their daughter contact with her mother.

The worst Hollywood mom I can think of is Mercedes McCambridge.

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 12:51 PM

[quote] Why did this cunt not see her kid for 6 years ?

because she was too busy fucking around, chasing italian dick and shooting movies. WHOAR !

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2022 5:55 PM

Debbie Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2022 6:02 PM

Lucille Ball. Even her kids admit all she cared about was work.

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2022 6:04 PM

From what I've read Taylor and Burton were OK parents whenever they weren't jet setting or drunk.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2022 6:08 PM

Barbara Stanwyck. Didn't she completely disown her son at a super young age?

Joan Fontaine also had a habit of disowning her children. First the daughter she adopted from South America and then the daughter she found out kept in touch with Aunt Livvie.

by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2022 6:14 PM

Evie Harris. She only brought Stevie home for leap-year Christmases!

But Shirley MACLAINE was also a mother of a cunt. She basically abandoned Sachi to the baby daddy and never looked back.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2022 6:16 PM

I thought about Debbie , R5, but what happened was mostly Taylor and Fisher's fault. Sure, she shouldn't have pushed Carrie in movies like "shampoo", but she insisted that she go to an acting school in England. When you're an actor yourself, what can you do? It's the world's second oldest profession. Perhaps best not to have children at all, or retire when you marry

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2022 6:28 PM

Debbie Reynolds often told the story of how she nearly died from a pregnancy complication, and how none of the male doctors back then were willing to consider abortion.

She must've gone to Mexico to have the scrape.

by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2022 6:52 PM

[quote] Taylor and Burton were OK parents whenever they weren't jet setting or drunk.

that was 5 minutes in 6th, october 1965, when they woke up, and because they both had the flu, didn't order a bloody mary for breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2022 8:31 PM

You people are trifling. Thank you for adding zero insight into what made Barbara Stanwyck and Mercedes McCambridge bad mothers.

by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2022 8:40 PM

I would say Marlene Dietrich but she doesn't qualify for the second part of OP's statement. I don't think she was ever considered "nice".

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2022 8:41 PM

angry lesb attack at R13, run, gays.

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2022 8:42 PM

Google. Fills in details. Can you use Google or is it blocked by your government?

by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2022 8:44 PM

Oh great another lame thread shitting on women. Making up stuff to suit yourselves. Crazies

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2022 8:47 PM

WOW !! FRAUS ARE STATING THEIR BOUNDARIES ON DL

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2022 8:48 PM

Bergman was the worst. She was consumed by her career and left her daughter Pia behind in the US. The Rossellini children fared a bit better. They were left with nannies on the same continent while Bergman made films in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2022 8:56 PM

another vote for Bergman. Leigh abandoned her daughter when she eloped with Olivier, but there was the excuse of war. Bergman was just chasing dick. That's a bit cold

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2022 8:58 PM

R13 In his suicide after killing his wife and children, Mercedes McCambridges' son pointedly blamed his Mother for his mistakes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2022 9:01 PM

I used to collect old movie magazines from the 1920s-1940s. I remember Barbara Stanwyck was being interviewed when her son, Dion,who was about 3 when came into the room and promptly tripped and fell He started crying and Miss Stanwyck rushed over to him and told him to to stop crying. "It hurts, son, I know, but you've got to take it." Then she said, "I won't have him a Hollywood child,not the spoiled, pampered variety. Grief no. He's going to military school as soon as he's old enough" Apparently, they had a very very difficult relationship and he left home as soon as he could and only saw her a few times after.

by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2022 9:07 PM

[quote] They were left with nannies on the same continent while Bergman made films in Europe.

I read "they were left with trannies ". time to go to bed

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2022 9:10 PM

Debbie used to drag Carrie along with her on her shows touring across the country. Carrie's first kiss was with a gay man but I don't remember if her early sexual experience was with a gay man as well.

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2022 9:18 PM

Loretta Young should be #1 on this list for lying to her daughter and claiming she was conceived from rape.

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2022 9:19 PM

didn't Harrison Ford say something about Carrie having "men parts " ?

by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2022 9:20 PM

[quote] Loretta Young should be #1 on this list for lying to her daughter and claiming she was conceived from rape.

AND ADOPTED !!

by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2022 9:21 PM

Stanwyck like many other Hollywood divas (Fontaine, Crawford, etc.) adopted a kid only to find out later on that she wasn't cut out to be a mother, duh! So she dumped him.

by Anonymousreply 28December 2, 2022 9:21 PM

Miriam Hopkins' son did like her but he was also convinced that he was her biological son that she adopted à la Loretta Young. He never asked her though.

by Anonymousreply 29December 2, 2022 9:24 PM

I don't know what was going on in the Farrow household, but : Mia (nuff said), two whores, dear Prudence who dated serial killers, a pedo, a two boys who comitted suicide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30December 2, 2022 9:25 PM

Farrows were crippled by a few family tragedies and an alcoholic father.

by Anonymousreply 31December 2, 2022 9:30 PM

[quote] a few family tragedies

AKA Mia, and Tisa

by Anonymousreply 32December 2, 2022 9:36 PM

Their brother, Michael,an anchor in the family was killed in airplane crash. Mia was severely ill and almost died of polio. She was forced into a sanitarium while a child with other children who were also severely ill and some who died. The family lived a Beverly Hills lifestyle but money was tight.

by Anonymousreply 33December 2, 2022 9:59 PM

[quote] money was tight.

is that why she sold Mia to Sinatra ?

by Anonymousreply 34December 2, 2022 10:04 PM

Mia was an adult and working actress, her family's connections in the industry opened doors for her. Frankie was a twice divorced middle aged man in a career lull. She admitted in her memoir to having an attraction to a father figure in Sinatra. Why are you making stuff up? The topic is about Hollywood actresses who faked an image of maternity.

by Anonymousreply 35December 2, 2022 10:14 PM

Judy was a piece of work. She may have loved her children, but she turned the two girls into her caretakers as soon as they hit the tween years, and she threw a knife at Joey once while in pill-induced psychosis, missing him by mere inches. In other wild moods she would throw Joey and Lorna out of the house--once they fled to Liza's apartment across the city in their pajamas in the middle of winter. All the kids got away from Judy permanently in their mid-teens.

by Anonymousreply 36December 2, 2022 10:14 PM

Hedy Lamarr's son said she was mean. Very irritable and short-tempered.

Farrah Fawcett told everyone who would listen that Redmond O'Neal was not planned (or wanted?).

George Clooney said Aunt Rosemary was not very nice when he came to live with them, trying to break into showbiz. Her weight problem indicates she was not a very happy person.

by Anonymousreply 37December 2, 2022 10:14 PM

R37, there was so much fawning over Farrah and I have always wondered if she was a genuinely nice person or not. I mean, she dated Ryan O'Neal after knowing his reptuation, that should tell you something.

by Anonymousreply 38December 2, 2022 10:35 PM

Betty Hutton. Her own children wouldn’t even go to her funeral.

by Anonymousreply 39December 3, 2022 12:47 AM

What about MEEE??!

by Anonymousreply 40December 3, 2022 1:16 AM

Farrah again, for being a wicked step-mother to Tatum. She basically took Ryan and let his kids fend for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 41December 3, 2022 1:31 AM

Susan Cabot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 3, 2022 2:08 AM

R41, has Tatum ever spoken about Farrah?

by Anonymousreply 43December 3, 2022 2:13 AM

Yes, in her memoir. Nothing too damaging about Farrah. Farrah was distant.

by Anonymousreply 44December 3, 2022 2:56 AM

The O'Neal kids liked Farrah, even though she took their daddy away from them. Ryan abandoned them in the Malibu beach house to go live with Farrah in Bel-Air.

by Anonymousreply 45December 3, 2022 3:55 AM

I think Hollywood people are self-centered by nature which isn't conducive to good parenting. I often think of Ron Howard's parents who were the exception. Both his parents were bit part actors, but would only take parts that would allow them to be home every night to be with their kids. Ron and his brother grew up to be stable adults besides being child actors themselves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 3, 2022 5:06 AM

Farrah got the ass cancer from being a drugged up whore.

by Anonymousreply 47December 3, 2022 7:33 AM

Yes but that sounds like it was the Howards’ sons supporting the family and that’s not good either.

by Anonymousreply 48December 3, 2022 8:55 AM

Loretta Young told Judy she was a “walking mortal sin”.

by Anonymousreply 49December 3, 2022 8:57 AM

How does one explain to millennials, fraus and genZs what "Hollywood Golden age " is ? Farrah Fawcett is not "Hollywood Golden age ". Let's say, broadly, from the early talkies (that's 1930s) to Monroe's death, 1962. So, Natalie Wood and Shirley McLaine barely make the cut, because they had a strong body of work in the 50s. Nice that you want to contribute, and thank you, but ...never mid.

by Anonymousreply 50December 3, 2022 10:35 AM

@r48, "Yes but that sounds like it was the Howards’ sons supporting the family and that’s not good either. "

Pretty sure that's not true as you can see by the fabulous Beverly Hills mansion they bought with Ron's money. By 1960 Ron Howard had already starred in "The Music Man" and was in a hit TV series, "The Andy Griffith Show". Modest digs for a "star" like Ron Howard. Ron has mentioned that even as a child "star" he had to cut the grass before he was given his allowance. People would drive by honking their horns and waving as he pushed the lawn mower in front of their house

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 3, 2022 11:05 AM

[quote] Barbara Stanwyck. Didn't she completely disown her son at a super young age?

R8 here we go again! please read the interview his son did in 1960, they were estranged, but she was not totally out of his life, they communicated through a proxy, uncle Buck, who was the fiancé of Stanwyck's sister.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 3, 2022 11:25 AM

^Interesting; Stanwyck didn't beat him like Crawford did, she was just completely indifferent to him. As someone else noted, she discovered too late she wasn't meant to be a mother & just ignored the kid. I like her as an actress, but she does sound like she was a mean old bitch

by Anonymousreply 53December 3, 2022 11:36 AM

^ That's pretty cold just to ignore a kid in need, especially your own 😬

Too bad Child Protective Services is only for the poors

by Anonymousreply 54December 3, 2022 11:44 AM

Jane Wyman

by Anonymousreply 55December 3, 2022 11:51 AM

^ Hi, Nancy, I see you 😏

by Anonymousreply 56December 3, 2022 11:54 AM

Recently watched this ep of Merv Griffin. (Mariska as a beautiful, precocious child.) Jayne Mansfield seemed a very loving mother, but perhaps distracted, self-involved? Maybe that’s how many celebrity mothers could be described.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 3, 2022 12:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!