Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lana Del Rey's best songs

DL loves to hate her. Share your favorites by this sad bitch. I am partial to the guitar-based songs on Ultraviolence, but I also love every single track on Honeymoon (which I sort of think is her unsung masterpiece).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2022 10:49 AM

I love her, but Cruel World gives me goosebumps like no other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2022 5:55 AM

"Honeymoon" is positively haunting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2022 5:57 AM

OP, I've liked SOME of her output over the years, but felt like we were getting a lot of style over substance with her. BUT, I was absolutely blown away by Norman Fucking Rockwell -- the entire album. Easily one of my favorite albums of the past two decades.

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 6:21 AM

R3 agreed, I think she has matured a lot as a songwriter, and "Norman Fucking Rockwell" was a real cornerstone for her. I could even tell there was a major shift after her first album, which in retrospect has a lot of pretty juvenile lyrics and has a less mature sound in general. I liked a couple of the songs and enjoyed that record, but I was not fully "convinced" by her. When she brought in all the live guitar work and percussion on "Ultraviolence" though, she had me by the balls. I never stopped listening after that.

The only album she's released since that I can't say I love is "Chemtrails Over the Country Club", which didn't seem fully formed. Aside from a couple of good tracks, I was underwhelmed. I think her last record was much better, which is sort of strange given that the songs on there are a hodgepodge and were written (and I think recorded) over a large span of time.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2022 6:37 AM

I loved, loved, loved her when she first hit. But then I tired of her.

R3, it was Norman Rockwell that brought me back as a fan. What a fantastic album.

Mariner's Apartment Complex is a masterpiece.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 2, 2022 6:43 AM

R5 - yes. Great song. Beautifully produced, too.

by Anonymousreply 6December 3, 2022 2:46 AM

A great early song of hers. Spellbinding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 3, 2022 2:53 AM

Venice Bitch from NFR is an odyssey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 3, 2022 3:13 AM

Agreed R8. One of my favorites on that album. Her vocal runs in "The Greatest" also tug at my heartstrings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 3, 2022 3:21 AM

Her music is pretty unique to me.

by Anonymousreply 10December 3, 2022 3:22 AM

West Coast is one of the best songs I've ever heard from anyone in the last ten years.

by Anonymousreply 11December 4, 2022 10:22 AM

R11 agreed, for a number of reasons. The drums on that song are killer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 4, 2022 10:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!