Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Wow. Just wow. Anyone been to Bhutan?

'The penises, at least here, serve a purpose. They are symbols of the guru Drukpa Kunley, a.k.a. The Divine Madman, whose shrine is just up the path from the town. The Divine Madman was, let’s say, unconventional. He drank a lot, ate a lot, hunted, and slept with lots of women. The tale of his defeating evil spirits plaguing the region, according to my guide, involved him using his penis that was not only aflame but so engorged it required two hands to hold and direct. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2022 7:20 AM

I had a colleague who spent two seasons in Bhutan conducting architectural and archaeological planning studies. She was very well travelled an insisted it was the most beautiful place in the world. Her photos certainly supported her argument.

The difficulty of getting there and getting around once there seems daunting, but I assume it's a process best given into with a good measure of flexibility. Though I would love the experience I also know I'm a lazy traveller in many respects: I too easily return to places I know to know them better, or stay largely to the trodden path to see things I've always wanted to see when I should allow more time to go places I know little about and be surprised.

Even if I suspect I will never do it, Bhutan bring too low on my list, I would love to spend a week or two there, and a few days at the curious luxury/not-luxury hotel described with rooms from the 600s per night.

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2022 6:20 AM

Is there a Trader Joe’s nearby?

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2022 6:57 AM

It sounds incredible and it looks incredible. Oh to have some money and to be young again, this may have been a place I'd visit. Luxury hotels, and the Mad Monk, temples, and penises everywhere. What's not to love.

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 7:18 AM

I've been to Bhutan. It was one of those countries to visit purely because it's not the easiest to get to. The landscape is beautiful as were the temples, like the Tiger's Nest in the main image at the link. The country is known for its Gross Domestic Happiness index, which is a bit of a con because the people have very limited freedoms - they couldn't freely travel nor choose their own careers (which were chosen for them). The food was terrible - basically chilis, chilis and more chilis. As a tourist, things felt quite artificial - although I had free time away from my guides, I never felt I was getting to know the people at all. Back when I went the $200 a day could include your accommodation so it wasn't all that expensive. Far more expensive than India, though. I was glad I went, but I wouldn't hurry back - despite the near constant hassle of traveling in India, I enjoyed it more as it felt more authentic.

by Anonymousreply 4December 2, 2022 7:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!