Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Any other teachers at their wit's end?

It's my first year teaching freshman English at a community college, though I've tutored for a while. I've heard endless sympathy for the students over the aftermath of pandemic learning, but less for instructors. And it's fucking HARD. They're coming in less prepared, absences are at an all time high, everyone has mental health struggles which they don't prepare you for at ALL to support. You have to wear so many hats and take so much blame for relatively low pay. They're more fragile, harder to teach than ever, and the school solution is to increase class sizes.

I care about the kids, but there are days I just want to teach the lesson and not be expected to play Superman for all this bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 4:50 PM

I wouldn’t know. don’t deal with low life, poor people trying to “better” themselves through a community college “education” he he he……..

by Anonymousreply 1December 2, 2022 5:30 AM

What should parents be teaching their kids to prepare them?

Genuinely want to hear from someone seeing it firsthand!

by Anonymousreply 2December 2, 2022 4:29 PM

I would imagine that teachers who have taught for a long time need to compartmentalize a lot. Just focus on teaching and running the classroom how they want it run. For all those other issues give them a pamphlet, a number to call, a referral to some campus program or the whatnot. If they don't show up then make sure your exams all have content not in the book. I learned a while ago that I can't be a social worker and be effective and content with my job. It doesn't mean ignore things but to just do your part and did it the best you can because with time you'll get better and better.

by Anonymousreply 3December 2, 2022 4:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!