Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sight & Sound Poll, 2022

Since 1952, Sight and Sound magazine has conducted a poll of critics to determine the greatest films of all time. Bicycle Thieves topped the first list, then Citizen Kane held the top spot until 2012, when Vertigo ranked as number one.

This year, the top spot went to Chantal Akerman's Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles. Parasite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Get Out made the top 100, as did three films each by Billy Wilder and Stanley Kubrick.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198December 6, 2022 12:28 AM

I think the BFI website must be having issues so I can’t see the full list

But I do know that Jeanne Dielman, while a great movie, is not the greatest film of all time. Or worthy of Top 10 status.

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2022 6:59 PM

The inmates have retaken the nuthouse, again.

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2022 7:02 PM

Why can't I never vote on polls on DL? I'm using the latest version of Android on my phone. When I click on a chosen name, nothing ever happens.

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2022 7:04 PM

In addition to Akerman’s film taking the top spot, this year’s overall list is far more modern and diverse than past editions — possibly due to the larger sample size of critics, with 1,600 participants contributing to the poll as opposed to 846 critics from 2012. 11 films from female filmmakers made the top 100, including Akerman’s “News From Home,” Agnes Varda’s “Cleo from 5 to 7” and “The Gleaners and I,” Maya Deren and Alexander Hammid’s “Meshes of the Afternoon,” Vera Chytilová’s “Daisies,” Céline Sciamma’s “Portrait of a Lady on Fire,” Barbara Loden’s “Wanda,” Jane Campion’s “The Piano,” and Julie Dash’s “Daughters of the Dust.”

Djibril Diop Mambéty’s “Touki Bouki” was the only film from a Black filmmaker to feature on the 2012 list. This year, it’s joined by six other films, including Dash’s “Daughters of the Dust” (the sole film from a Black woman to be featured on the list), Spike Lee’s “Do the Right Thing,” Charles Burnett’s “Killer of Sheep,” “Barry Jenkins’ “Moonlight,” Jordan Peele’s “Get Out,” and Ousmane Sembène’s “Black Girl.”

Hmm….is anyone surprised

by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2022 8:30 PM

Old masters who once appeared in the Top 10 are gone from the Top 100 altogether: Rene Clair, D.W. Griffith, Robert Flaherty, Erich von Stroheim, Marcel Carne, and David Lean. Luchino Visconti only appears once at 90 for “The Leopard.” Only two Kenji Mizoguchi films make this list, as do only two Kurosawa and two Ozu. No Pasolini, and only the two most obvious titles from Fellini, “8 1/2” and “La Dolce Vita,” are lower than ever. And the only film altogether from India is Satyajit Ray’s “Pather Panchali” at 35, which has appeared in the past in the Top 10.

Classic Hollywood also takes a hit: There are no other John Ford titles on the list other than “The Searchers,” which fell out of the Top 10 this year. And no entries at all for Howard Hawks. Nothing from Welles aside from “Citizen Kane,” even though “The Magnificent Ambersons” has previously appeared in the Top 10. Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton each have two films on the list. Hitchcock still has four titles, though.

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2022 8:31 PM

For the curious - Jeanne Dielman is currently on HBO Max. Fascinating film.

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2022 8:40 PM

#95 Get Out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2022 8:49 PM

^ it's a great movie. One if the best ones out of 21st century.

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2022 9:02 PM

Get Out is fine, but no way in hell is it the 95th best movie of all time. This list is pandering woke crap. Nobody is going to remember Moonlight or that dreary lesbian portrait movie in 50 years like they do Howard Hawks movies.

Jeanne Dielman is a very, very good movie, but if the exact same movie had been directed by a man it would not have made the Top 100, or even the Top 250.

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2022 9:05 PM

The only point of such rankings is to bicker about them and pick them apart, so this is a great list.

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2022 9:09 PM

Paris, Texas, Twin Peaks: Fire walk with me and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind should have been on the list. No Tarantino or Wes Anderson movies on the list, right? No Coen Brothers either? They made a few movies that could easily be on the list. Coen Bros. I mean, not Tarantino or Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2022 9:17 PM

[Quote]^ it's a great movie. One if the best ones out of 21st century.

Why is it great R8?

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2022 9:19 PM

Not a single Woody Allen either. As if he just never even existed.

by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2022 9:22 PM

^and nothing from Polanski: Knife in the Water, Rosemary's Baby, The Pianist.

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2022 9:24 PM

David Lean not being on the list is the definition of absurdity.

by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2022 9:25 PM

The Director's top 100 which can also be found on the website is much better and has more movies people might actually want to see.

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2022 9:27 PM

R11, I think both Paris, Texas, and Eternal Sunshine are on the Director's list.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2022 9:34 PM

I need to see more of these films instead of watching junk

by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2022 9:37 PM

Vertigo is a bore. Kim Novak can't act and Jimmy Stewart is old enough to be her grampaw. It just ids aling and who cares?

It's basically Hitchcock's icky biopic, as he forever searched for a living Barbie doll who would be his avatar, since he was transgender.

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2022 9:38 PM

No Robert Altman is a crime.

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2022 9:42 PM

I like Get Out just fine but it's an EMBARRASSMENT showing up on this list

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2022 9:49 PM

R19: I concur. I've never understood why Vertigo is so well-regarded. Kim Novak is stunning but other than that, she is a terrible performer.

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2022 9:51 PM

R20, wow I didn’t notice that till you pointed it out. Shameful!

by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2022 9:54 PM

Hitchcock has many better films than Vertigo: The Birds, Psycho, Rope, Shadow of a Doubt, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Strangers on a Train...I do wonder why it's so highly regarded in retrospect? Some films deserve that treatment (Altman's 3 Women is brilliant and only somewhat recently got the adulation is deserves) but Vertigo does...not.

by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2022 9:57 PM

I say this as a person who loves Vertigo mind you but this is why:Vertigo gets the love out of his filmography -- because 1) it was regarded as a flop for a very long time and it makes critics feel like they're reclaiming something unappreciated and unloved from the dustbin of history. And 2) because it is a summation of Hitch's obsessions and his cruelty toward women, which appeals both to women who appreciate the self-critical nature of the story and to straight men who really just love watching women suffer even while they pretend otherwise. Also 3) it's been damn influential.

And his other movies are more superficially entertaining, which is looked down upon - critics want weight, not the immaculately weightless movie charm of a North By Northwest. Just look at how few comedies made the list, after all.

by Anonymousreply 25December 1, 2022 10:06 PM

What about Steel Magnolias?

by Anonymousreply 26December 1, 2022 10:06 PM

No list of Top 100 Films of All Time that excludes Terms of Endearment is worth a damn.

by Anonymousreply 27December 1, 2022 10:22 PM

I love Agnès Varda but the Gleaners And I has no business on this list, or in any list of top 500 films

by Anonymousreply 28December 1, 2022 10:31 PM

No Elizabeth Taylor movies? Blasphemy!

by Anonymousreply 29December 1, 2022 10:35 PM

It would've been great if Eternal Sunshine was on the list. That Fanny & Alexander isn't on it is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 30December 1, 2022 11:15 PM

How can we trust a poll that didn't include "Welcome to My Home," from Brenda Dickson, in the top 5?

by Anonymousreply 31December 1, 2022 11:20 PM

No A Place In The Sun?

by Anonymousreply 32December 1, 2022 11:25 PM

The Wizard of Oz never makes these polls but it is the one most treasured.

by Anonymousreply 33December 1, 2022 11:33 PM

Vertigo is awful. Never cared for Kim Novak at all.

by Anonymousreply 34December 1, 2022 11:41 PM

Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles is a great film but it is very much a "Once was Enough" kind of film which is true of a lot of these films.

by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2022 11:51 PM

I get why some feel Vertigo is overrated in general but for me it is Bernard Herrmann’s greatest score.

by Anonymousreply 36December 1, 2022 11:51 PM

I'm a cinephile and a French speaker and I've never even fucking heard of Jeanne Dielman. WTF? Sight and Sound IS hopelessly pretentious but still.

by Anonymousreply 37December 1, 2022 11:53 PM

Portrait of a Lady on Fire is like the most overrated film ever. I wish I’d never seen it - I’d have a higher opinion of it.

And the one that came after, Petite Maman, was even worse.

by Anonymousreply 38December 1, 2022 11:56 PM

Not true, R35. The first thing I did after watching Jeanne Dielman was watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 39December 1, 2022 11:58 PM

The 1959 "Imitation of Life" with Lana Turner and John Gavin is one of the 100 greatest films of all time?

by Anonymousreply 40December 2, 2022 12:04 AM

R4 What’s wrong with adding black movies? Do the Right Thing is a terrific movie and deserves to be on the list, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 41December 2, 2022 12:07 AM

R40, yes it is a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 42December 2, 2022 12:15 AM

“What’s wrong with adding black movies?”

You’re missing the point.

by Anonymousreply 43December 2, 2022 12:16 AM

[quote]That Fanny & Alexander isn't on it is ridiculous.

It's on the Director's List, at least.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 2, 2022 12:17 AM

Do The Right Thing is not one of the 100 best movies of all time.

by Anonymousreply 45December 2, 2022 12:23 AM

If they're just going to elevate any film made by a woman into masterpiece territory, then why not just put Nancy Walker's "Can't Stop The Music" in the top 5?

by Anonymousreply 46December 2, 2022 12:24 AM

^ or Joan Rivers’ Rabbit Test

by Anonymousreply 47December 2, 2022 12:33 AM

I would watch Do the Right Thing 100 times over Vertigo. But I would have put Rear Window in the top 10, and I agree with Toto that The Wizard of Oz is the best of all time. Crimes and Misdemeanors would also have made my list.

I am certainly going to check out Jeanne Dielman!

by Anonymousreply 48December 2, 2022 12:39 AM

Get Out? Really? I guess all those critics falling over themselves to overpraise it missed that they were the ones Peele was skewering.

by Anonymousreply 49December 2, 2022 12:44 AM

Jeanne Dielman was amazing. I'd watch it again.

I'm not voting in OP's poll because I haven't seen all the films and am not that much of a cinéaste. Was anything by Margarethe von Trotta on there?

by Anonymousreply 50December 2, 2022 12:56 AM

I was hoping the younger critics would be cool enough to put the Texas Chainsaw Massacre in the top 100. That would have been a cool move. I know they wouldn't have put Silence of the Lambs in the top 100 cuz of the "transphobic" allegations, but that would have been a cool one too. The Shining and Psycho are OK as far as horror movies go though.

by Anonymousreply 51December 2, 2022 1:00 AM

I don't get the love for Get Out. It was just the Stepford Wives but with black people. It was fine. Maybe you have to be black to really like it.

by Anonymousreply 52December 2, 2022 1:02 AM

I’m really glad to read other people here criticising Vertigo. I’ve really enjoyed pet much every other Hitchcock I’ve seen. Rear Window is a favourite movie of all time, not just one of his. But I watched Vertigo recently and to be honest, hated it. Found it very dull and definitely didn’t meet my expectations.

by Anonymousreply 53December 2, 2022 1:08 AM

These lists are always bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 54December 2, 2022 1:08 AM

Memories of Murder is a much better film than Parasite.

by Anonymousreply 55December 2, 2022 1:14 AM

R43 No, I get the point - r4 thinks they’re being added for woke points but it still stands that DTRT is a classic that deserves to be on the list.

by Anonymousreply 56December 2, 2022 2:18 AM

#43 Killer of Sheep an 80 min student film from 1977 strikes me as a sincere effort at film realism but based on the reviews I'm reminded of the Emperor's New Clothes

- Viewed without any context, Killer of Sheep is difficult to appreciate or even grasp, because writer-director Charles Burnett eschews many of the tools that make narrative films accessible: Killer of Sheep doesn’t have much tension or structure, and the production values are, to be kind, humble. Killer of Sheep is also quite grim, depicting the hardscrabble lives of low-income African-Americans in mid-’70s Los Angeles. However, the harmony between the storytelling and the subject matter has made Killer of Sheep a favorite among some cinephiles. After the movie languished in obscurity for 20 years, Oscar-winning director Steven Soderbergh endorsed a 2007 re-release that introduced Killer of Sheep to a broader audience.

by Anonymousreply 57December 2, 2022 2:21 AM

Two Akermans and two Vardas is four too many.

Jeanne Dielman consists of a four hour "gaze" on a woman making breaded cutlets and preparing a bed for prostitution sex.

Cleo is irritatingly twee.

Haven't seen the other two.

I approve of the high rating for Claire Denis' BEAU TRAVAIL, though.

by Anonymousreply 58December 2, 2022 2:27 AM

I disagree, R58. Cleo deserves to be on the list.

by Anonymousreply 59December 2, 2022 2:29 AM

Get Out was a decent horror flick, but hardly one of the best films ever made. Laughable.

by Anonymousreply 60December 2, 2022 2:35 AM

[quote]Why can't I never vote on polls on DL? I'm using the latest version of Android on my phone. When I click on a chosen name, nothing ever happens.

Because DL is a website, not an app. DL does not have a *m.datalounge.com (mobile) version. Use a proper computer (desktop or laptop) web browser and it'll work.

by Anonymousreply 61December 2, 2022 2:37 AM

Meh. What a boring poll. I'd rather watch this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 2, 2022 2:37 AM

I can recognize that Jeanne Dielman is the work of a gifted filmmaker but it still felt like a duty to sit through it.

Kind of like going to church.

by Anonymousreply 63December 2, 2022 2:40 AM

Four Godards (!) and not a single Howard Hawks or Nicholas Ray film..

Even Godard himself would be upset at that.

And why two very similar Miyazakis (unbearably cutesy) and no other animated films?

by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2022 2:52 AM

I found Jeanne Dielman totally riveting, in no small part to the lead actress, who is also great in Last Year at Marienbad and Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie. Nothing and everything happens, if that makes sense. Absolutely worthy of a top 20 placement. Looking at the list as a whole it's pretty solid. I'd add in a few of the Hollywood classics that inspired the European art directors in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2022 2:57 AM

"Four Godards (!) and not a single Howard Hawks or Nicholas Ray film..

Even Godard himself would be upset at that."

Exactly. The point has been totally lost. A great film entertains AND is art.

by Anonymousreply 66December 2, 2022 2:58 AM

Only 1 Spanish language film on the list. What about Luis Bunuel's Los Olvidados aka The Young and the Damned (1950) or Simon of the Desert (1965) or Alejandro Inaritritu's Amores Perros (2000) and no Kurosawa the Seven Samurai (1954) and High and Low (1963)

by Anonymousreply 67December 2, 2022 3:04 AM

(^.^) missed Kurosawa at #20 and #41

by Anonymousreply 68December 2, 2022 3:07 AM

Inarritu absolutely sucks and this has won two Oscars. Those belonged to his cinematographer.

by Anonymousreply 69December 2, 2022 3:11 AM

A poll is worthless.

by Anonymousreply 70December 2, 2022 3:11 AM

Woody Should have at least 7 or 8 films in the top 100. And, yes, there should be at least one or two of his early or mid career comedies in there.

by Anonymousreply 71December 2, 2022 3:16 AM

Parasite was a good watch but does it belong here? I’d vote Snowpiercer before this.

by Anonymousreply 72December 2, 2022 3:18 AM

Did you see his first film Amores Perros R69? It's brilliant and far superior to Cleo from 5 to 7, Get Out, The Shining, Killer of Sheep, Do the Right Thing, Le Mepris, Casablanca, andThe Piano

USA Today/The gritty, Oscar-nominated "Traffic" is a limo ride compared with the bloodletting in this year's foreign-film nominee from Mexico

Chicago Tribune/.A stunner: a fiercely brilliant film of such wrenching impact, nonstop drive and unpredictability that watching it becomes an exhilarating ride.

Philadelphia Inquirer Desmond Ryan An overpowering and original piece of bravura filmmaking that constitutes one of the most breathtaking and impressive directing debuts in years.

by Anonymousreply 73December 2, 2022 3:25 AM

I'm glad to see this list get shaken up a bit, but some of these inclusions are absurd. I have never seen "Jeanne Dielman..." but am interested now. I love Delphine Seyrig in "Last Year at Marienbad" and the under-seen "Muriel", which is a fantastic, haunting film. I will have to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 74December 2, 2022 3:25 AM

We watched Jean Dielman for the first time last summer. It is a movie that stuck with me, and continues to stick with me. You see the influence of this movie in so many other places.

I would never, ever watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 75December 2, 2022 3:32 AM

[Quote]Woody Should have at least 7 or 8 films in the top 100. And, yes, there should be at least one or two of his early or mid career comedies in there.

Really? provide a few titles.

by Anonymousreply 76December 2, 2022 3:48 AM

[quote] I've never even fucking heard of Jeanne Dielman.

You don't need two verbs in that sentence, R37.

by Anonymousreply 77December 2, 2022 3:49 AM

Woody Allen openly and admittedly copied filmmakers with movies on this list. He's a dumb person's idea of a smart filmmaker. I think he'd admit how much he took from Bergman, Fellini, and on and on. I like his movies but they are absolutely derivative.

by Anonymousreply 78December 2, 2022 3:54 AM

Yass Kween Akerman SLAY!🏆

by Anonymousreply 79December 2, 2022 4:01 AM

Lawrence Of Arabia? Gone With The Wind? All About Eve?

by Anonymousreply 80December 2, 2022 4:14 AM

Lavin desperately wanted to remake Jeanne "Dielman" with herself in the title role and Philip McKeon as Sylvain. She went so far as to record the title song, "Il y a une nouvelle courtisane en ville!", when funding unexpectedly fell through.

by Anonymousreply 81December 2, 2022 4:17 AM

I enjoyed Woody Allen's Take the Money and Run, Sleeper, Zelig, The Purple Rose of Cairo and Broadway Danny Rose. Annie Hall, Hannah and Her Sisters are overrated, and Interiors is ridiculously pretentious. Allen is not an original or innovative filmmaker, and I don't think any of his films are ever studied in film classes. His films don't belong on a list alongside The Battle of Algiers, Sunset Boulevard, Tokyo Story . . .

by Anonymousreply 82December 2, 2022 4:17 AM

"I get why some feel Vertigo is overrated in general but for me it is Bernard Herrmann’s greatest score."

Indeed it is his greatest score. Kim Novak wrote to the Academy asking them to use that music during her appearance in the In Memorium segment once she dies.

by Anonymousreply 83December 2, 2022 4:44 AM

Lol.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 2, 2022 4:47 AM

Get Out is a beat by beat remake built on a faulty premise. Sorry, but most white people don’t actually hate black people or covet their bodies. What a fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 85December 2, 2022 4:57 AM

Dielman is an interesting choice, I'll go with it, but I'd still put Ozu first, though, personal choice, Late Spring ahead of Tokyo Story.

by Anonymousreply 86December 2, 2022 5:24 AM

Beau Travail = men exercising

by Anonymousreply 87December 2, 2022 5:27 AM

We live in Godless times.

by Anonymousreply 88December 2, 2022 5:27 AM

No Bunuel, Almodovar, Lubitsch, Polanski, Hawks, Ray, Borzage, Rohmer, Resnais, Chabrol, Naruse, Lupino, Jancso, Haneke, Hou Hsiao-Hsien.

The poll was open to "more diverse and younger" respondents for the first time, according to the BBC, many of whom are less than familiar with films made before 1980. Hence additions like TWO Miyazakis and GET OUT.

One Yang, OK, I guess, but not two. Not when when none of the above are on the list. Sciamma won't be on the next list, I predict. Too recent to establish a lasting reputation.

by Anonymousreply 89December 2, 2022 5:38 AM

"Portrait Of A Lady On Fire" is deadly dull.

by Anonymousreply 90December 2, 2022 5:43 AM

No Melville or Becker, two of the most important figures for the French New Wave (who are overrepresented). And no Cocteau, either. Carne, I guess, is considered as dead to them now as Lean.

(Happily, HOTEL DU NORD is a recent addition to the Criterion Collection).

by Anonymousreply 91December 2, 2022 5:48 AM

[quote] Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce 1080 Bruxelles is a great film but it is very much a "Once was Enough" kind of film which is true of a lot of these films.

I was going to say this. Actually speaking of which in terms of the opposite I love Polanski’s movies Tess and Chinatown because I was not crazy about them when I first saw them but I was haunted by them weeks after and on watching each of them 2 or 3 times more I grew to love them. Jeanne Dielman has never had this effect on me.

by Anonymousreply 92December 2, 2022 5:55 AM

Worst poll ever.

Thank goodness for climate change - these younger people have such bad woke taste.

And how can they leave off the greatest film ever directed by a woman - Triumph of the Will.

by Anonymousreply 93December 2, 2022 5:58 AM

Well, it's easy to leave off Triumph of the Will....it's horrifying Nazi progaganda.

Albeit horrifying Nazi propaganda whose imagery has been copied in hundreds of thousands of films, mainly commercials.

by Anonymousreply 94December 2, 2022 6:00 AM

Arletty and Louis Jouvet are brilliant in "Hôtel du Nord."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95December 2, 2022 6:03 AM

1) Vertigo IS a brilliant, gorgeous, flawed masterpiece. Yeah, I also get that hype sets you up to be disappointed.

2) Get Out is a fun, clever film, It's not "Top 100" clever though.

3) I adore Miyazaki and I'm glad Spirited Away is on here but one was suffient. My Neighbor Totoro is achingly twee.

4) Who are these critics? I can't really believe so many of them sat through all of Jeanne Dielman and Beau Travail and decided they were Top 10 calibre. (They 're not.)

by Anonymousreply 96December 2, 2022 6:07 AM

I would vote for VERTIGO, SYNECDOCHE, NEW YORK, and BATLLE OF ALGIERS as the best films.

Jeanne Dielman is a dreadfully dull and plotlessly plodding film - must be great for insomniacs.

by Anonymousreply 97December 2, 2022 6:10 AM

R21 You take that back or I'll send my man over to slap your face.

by Anonymousreply 98December 2, 2022 6:28 AM

R94 We copied it too for The Lion King.

by Anonymousreply 99December 2, 2022 6:47 AM

I suspect a lot of these new voters probably have never even seen a movie like The Grand Illusion (which fell off the list) or, at best, half-slept through it in film school. When your frame of reference for a "great cinema" is the garbage these people have grown up on the last 20 years of movies, then who can blame them? It may well be that Get Out *is* one of the best films they've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 100December 2, 2022 11:24 AM

Grand Illusion, Rules of the Game...only people who read books and have some understanding of culture appreciate these films. Not the ADD crowd who have taken over the so called arts and media.

by Anonymousreply 101December 2, 2022 11:35 AM

Get Out is an incredible and terrifying movie that deserves to be on this list. I don’t think Jordan Peele will ever get to those heights again, though.

by Anonymousreply 102December 2, 2022 11:44 AM

Jeanne Dielman? Come on. It relies on a cheap narrative trick at the end to have any real impact. What would have been braver would have been to leave her exactly as she was, peeling a potato at some point, since that’s precisely what would have happened to her in real life. But relying on what it did rely on? Yawn. It’s an eye roll that’s happened thousands of time in thousands of movies.

by Anonymousreply 103December 2, 2022 11:48 AM

[quote] And how can they leave off the greatest film ever directed by a woman - Triumph of the Will.

You’re wondering why a Nazi propaganda was left off a greatest film list?

Of course you are. I wouldn’t expect any less from ancient white culturally and societally blinkered DL.

by Anonymousreply 104December 2, 2022 11:51 AM

[quote] Sorry, but most white people don’t actually hate black people or covet their bodies.

You’re absolutely wrong on the first part, but you know that. I’ll agree with you on the second.

by Anonymousreply 105December 2, 2022 11:52 AM

No All About Eve, Wilder’s greatest film by far with easily the greatest and most sophisticated script ever written? Please. Hitchcock and Wilder are over represented, as is Scorsese. No Allen at all? Ridiculous. And there are a lot more animated films that should be considered. This list is pretty lame, relying on judges who I guarantee have seen barely half of these movies and relied on film professors to help them with voting.

by Anonymousreply 106December 2, 2022 12:05 PM

Jeanne Dielman is an “interesting” art house, chin-stroking movie for people who like to think they’re really deep but “greatest film of all time”, fuck right off! Prententous tossers. It was always the “4 hour boiling potatoes” movie.

‘Get Out’ is only considered something groundbreaking by people who have never seen The Stepford Wives or watched The Twilight Zone. It’s a good commercial movie that came at just the right time but that’s it. It didn’t deserve to win an Oscar for its screenplay.

by Anonymousreply 107December 2, 2022 12:07 PM

I love the actress Delphine Seyrig and I’ve had Jeannie Dielman on my list for a while of things to watch, but now I think I’m gonna have too high expectations going into it.

by Anonymousreply 108December 2, 2022 12:16 PM

[quote]possibly due to the larger sample size of critics

Critics aren't entirely to blame for this wacko list. The respondents were a mixture of "critics, programmers, curators, archivists and academics."

Whoever is responsible, it will deal a blow to S&S's prestige and likely kill interest and anticipation in future iterations of their list. The directors' list shames theirs.

Also, I don't think it would be possible to overrate Vertigo, and it IS my favorite Hitchcock. I think one reason it stands above many of his others critically is that the viewer may notice more in it and get different things from it in subsequent viewings. It's a Hitchcock film to study. A film like North and Northwest (which I'd also have in the Hitchcock top ten) is always great fun, but when you see it once, you've got it. That one is more like getting back on the amusement-park ride a second time, and knowing when the peaks and the dips are going to come.

by Anonymousreply 109December 2, 2022 12:41 PM

[quote]North and Northwest

I'll "Oh, dear" myself. North by Northwest.

by Anonymousreply 110December 2, 2022 12:42 PM

[quote]Get Out’ is only considered something groundbreaking by people who have never seen The Stepford Wives or watched The Twilight Zone. It’s a good commercial movie that came at just the right time but that’s it. It didn’t deserve to win an Oscar for its screenplay.

Peele owes Karyn Kusama a drink. Get Out borrows quite a bit from The Invitation, right down to the same opening scene— interracial couple on their way to a remote gathering hitting a deer with their car.

by Anonymousreply 111December 2, 2022 12:54 PM

R52 No, you don't have to be black to enjoy it. What a moronic thing to say. I'm white and I loved it. Too bad his next two films sucked.

by Anonymousreply 112December 2, 2022 12:56 PM

I don't think Us and Nope are bad films, but each film he's made has been less good than the previous one. He's starting to seem trapped in a format and expectations...like Shyamalan with more socially conscious chin-stroking.

by Anonymousreply 113December 2, 2022 12:58 PM

R72 Snowpiercer was such a terrible movie. I couldn't believe that the guy that made Parasite and Memories of Murder (his best movie) is the same guy that made that dreck

by Anonymousreply 114December 2, 2022 12:58 PM

R113 Us and Nope were just typical American horror movies. Absolutely nothing special about them.

by Anonymousreply 115December 2, 2022 12:59 PM

R85 A movie being a fantasy? Color me surprised.

by Anonymousreply 116December 2, 2022 1:01 PM

Always thought that Seven Year Itch is a lot better movie than Some Like It Hot.

by Anonymousreply 117December 2, 2022 1:03 PM

R115 The only thing special about them is how nonsensical they are. Peele claims it’s deliberate but no, they just fail on basic (internal) logic. ‘Us’ falls apart the second you try and make any sense of it. The premise simply doesn’t work even if you suspend all disbelief.

by Anonymousreply 118December 2, 2022 1:05 PM

R85 “Get Out is a beat by beat remake” - of what?

by Anonymousreply 119December 2, 2022 1:07 PM

Weird that Paris, Texas didn't made either of those lists.

by Anonymousreply 120December 2, 2022 1:13 PM

To add the likes of Miyazaki, Peele, Sciamma, Jenkins, 4 x Godard, 2 x Akerman, 2 x Varda, and Deren's home movie, you need to purge:

Preminger, Siodmak, Zinnemann, Mankiewcicz, Sturges (Preston), Stevens, Wyler, Minnelli, Cukor, Mamoulian, Whale, Arzner, Losey, Lumet, Frankenheimer, Roeg, Mackendrick, Von Sternberg, Fuller, Tourneur (Jacques and Maurice).

Also: Pasolini, Bertolucci, Polanski, Wenders. Pudovkin, Clouzot, Etaix, L'Herbier, Gremillon, Duvivier, Gance, Pabst, Epstein, Etaix, Cocteau, Becker, Melville.

by Anonymousreply 121December 2, 2022 1:51 PM

^ all those people were purged in favor of diversity (not diversity of ideas and/or content, mind you)

by Anonymousreply 122December 2, 2022 1:53 PM

S&S’s great strength is that it’s in flux. The more recent picks are always going to be more debatable, that’s the nature of time and art, but then 10 years from now it will change again and something else will top the poll.

by Anonymousreply 123December 2, 2022 2:14 PM

Don’t really get the love for Vertigo. Singin’ in the Rain, Kind Hearts and Coronets, In the Heat of the Night would be up there for me. And The Pianist.

by Anonymousreply 124December 2, 2022 2:34 PM

Speaking of Woody Allen above … I know the basic “facts” or gist of his saga, but where would I go to get a thorough, objective, as-trustworthy-as-can-be overview of the whole Woody controversy? Whether it be documentaries or books. Any recommendations?

by Anonymousreply 125December 2, 2022 2:41 PM

No Altman is just bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 126December 2, 2022 2:46 PM

Fun fact: The main character in vertigo suffers from a fear of heights, which has nothing to do with vertigo.

by Anonymousreply 127December 2, 2022 2:48 PM

It's the main symptom he suffers as a consequence of the fear of heights. "I have acrophobia, which gives me vertigo, and I get dizzy," he tells Midge. And Vertigo is a better title than Acrophobia would have been.

Re: Altman. Nashville did make the top 100 in 2012. It was one of the films broomed out to make room for new arrivals. Wrongly, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 128December 2, 2022 2:52 PM

No Roman Polanski movie will even be considered for a list like this, given the climate of film criticism today, R123. And the same goes for Woody Allen. They might receive reappraisals after they're dead, but not before.

The Sight and Sound poll has always been pretentious, but it was still tethered to reality. It's easy to make the case for Vertigo or Citizen Kane as the greatest film of all time. These are films that are massively influential, they're taught in film school, they inspire a lot of scholarship. No one doubts that these movies are essential to film history. I don't think anyone can legitimately claim the same about Jeanne Dielman. Even the Criterion Collection didn't bother releasing the movie until 2010.

by Anonymousreply 129December 2, 2022 3:02 PM

Wokeness gone amok!

by Anonymousreply 130December 2, 2022 3:11 PM

I agree Get Out was a good movie, but a little overrated and probably not top 100. I think the twist actually hurt it a bit making, whereas it seemed a bit more realistic and creepy prior to the ---- Spoiler --- the brain transplant reveal. Plus, I doubt the white racists would have wanted to live their lives in the body of a black man no matter his physical condition. It would have been better if they victims were somehow brainwashed into a submissive state or full Stepford wives - replaced by robots.

by Anonymousreply 131December 2, 2022 4:12 PM

Get Out is a good not great movie. Let’s see where it ranks in 10 years. It’s ridiculous that Woody Allen gets no recognition.The charges against him were investigated and he wasn’t charged with anything.

by Anonymousreply 132December 2, 2022 4:18 PM

Bertolucci is now also radioactive in the way Allen and Polanski are. You have to be a good boy to make the list, apparently. (Forget about Hitchcock's sadistic perversities, however).

by Anonymousreply 133December 2, 2022 4:50 PM

Polanski and Allen are all time greats and you can tell because their movies are still being constantly aped by amateur filmmakers today.

by Anonymousreply 134December 2, 2022 4:52 PM

Aggregate opinion is rarely to be trusted.

by Anonymousreply 135December 2, 2022 4:52 PM

I love:

Wim Wenders "The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty"

Jacques Demy's "Lola"

Terrence Malick's "Badlands"

Jan Troell's "The Emigrants" and "The New Land"

by Anonymousreply 136December 2, 2022 4:58 PM

[quote]I love the actress Delphine Seyrig and I’ve had Jeannie Dielman on my list for a while of things to watch, but now I think I’m gonna have too high expectations going into it.

Jeanne Dielman (like most of Akerman's films) is a rigorous, formalist work which was inspired by the avant-garde films Akerman had seen while living in New York in the early 70s - Michael Snow, Andy Warhol, etc. I think it's great, and I personally don't find it difficult to watch at all, but it's also a 3-1/2 hour film which takes place in a very limited space with very limited and repetitive action. The true audience for a film like this (like that for, say, the music of Steve Reich) is always going to be niche at best, as one can see from the responses on this thread and elsewhere on the internet. Pretending otherwise for ideological reasons - which has been happening over the last decade or so, culminating in this poll - places a burden on the film that it doesn't really need or deserve.

I put it in the same camp as Marguerite Duras' India Song - also from 1975, also starring Delphine Seyrig, also highly formalist and dealing with ritualized, repetitive action rather than any sort of traditional narrative momentum. I think it's a beautiful film (John Waters was also a fan), but the audience for this kind of work is never going to be large.

by Anonymousreply 137December 2, 2022 5:29 PM

R137 nailed it

by Anonymousreply 138December 2, 2022 6:26 PM

The audience for that work won’t even be small R137. More like minuscule. 99.999999% of the population will never see Dielman or any of the films of its ilk.

by Anonymousreply 139December 2, 2022 7:08 PM

I said earlier that I would watch Jeanne Dielman again, and I started viewing again soon after posting that. I don't agree with R103 that it's a cheap narrative trick, but I do agree that the movie would have been just as good or better without it. However, it does spur you to reevaluate everything that went before. I'm noticing things on this second viewing that are more illustrative than I thought the first time. There did have to be some kind of climax, but perhaps not necessarily that one.

It's an extremely subtle and slow-moving film with little dialogue, and I can see why a lot of people don't have the patience for it. But I love that kind of film. I like having the time to observe the characters closely in my own time without being told more explicitly what I'm to think; I like being able to appreciate that all the choices of the director and actors were quite deliberate, and to contemplate why those choices were made and what they signify. Jeanne's face gives almost nothing away, but you can tell a lot by her behavior and her conversations with her son.

When the film opens, she's to all appearances a quiet and almost freakishly methodical housekeeper, and you view her going about her utterly mundane tasks of making dinner, turning the lights on and off as she goes in and out of rooms (no matter how short a time she spends in the room! Surely she knows by now where the tureen is without having the turn the light on!). When the doorbell rings and the man arrives in the middle of her dinner prep, she takes a full minute to slowly settle things in the kitchen, hang up her apron, and wash and carefully dry her hands before answering the door. Why doesn't she rush? Is she not surprised to have a visitor in her solitary afternoon? What was he there for? When you realize what's going on, isn't it a real WTF moment? That's when you know you that your assumptions about her have been wrong and you need to watch carefully.

Also, now I almost never make pour-over coffee without thinking of Jeanne.

by Anonymousreply 140December 2, 2022 7:20 PM

Oh, also, if anyone's daunted by a 3.5-hour film, it takes place over several days, and I don't think there's any harm in watching it one day at a time.

by Anonymousreply 141December 2, 2022 7:23 PM

No love for Jean Eustache's LA MAMAN ET LA PUTAIN (73), possibly because it's not readily available now for home viewing, even in France. I watched Akerman's long film once (which was enough), but I love seeing Eustache's equally long masterpiece every couple of years.

Also no love for Louis Malle or Jacques Demy, sadly.

by Anonymousreply 142December 2, 2022 7:39 PM

If curators and academics are part of the poll, then it's clear that the field of film studies is clearly on a downhill slope.

by Anonymousreply 143December 2, 2022 7:58 PM

Where in hell is The Sound of Music?!

by Anonymousreply 144December 2, 2022 8:02 PM

[quote] No love for Jean Eustache's LA MAMAN ET LA PUTAIN (73)

It made the directors list.

by Anonymousreply 145December 2, 2022 8:08 PM

When Hitchcock was asked what Vertigo was about he said it was about a man who loses his fear of heights.

by Anonymousreply 146December 2, 2022 8:15 PM

R137, "Jeanne Dielman (like most of Akerman's films) is a rigorous, formalist work which was inspired by the avant-garde films Akerman had seen while living in New York in the early 70s - Michael Snow, Andy Warhol, etc."

Right. Hey, let's go see Jeanne Dielman! Why? Well, it's a rigorous, formalist work which was inspired by the avant-garde films akkkkkeerrmm.........KLUNK.

by Anonymousreply 147December 2, 2022 8:20 PM

R106: No All About Eve, Wilder’s greatest film by far with easily the greatest and most sophisticated script ever written? Please.

Please, yourself.

by Anonymousreply 148December 2, 2022 8:23 PM

I see the Director's List is more in line with what's established a "track reputation." Good.

by Anonymousreply 149December 2, 2022 8:35 PM

I agree with the very smart folks here, Avengers Endgame shoulda been number 1 because it has a plot and lots of people have seen it.

by Anonymousreply 150December 2, 2022 8:35 PM

Shocked that In the Mood for Love was ranked so high. I think that many of the voters came of age in the 90's and after and we're in peak Wong Kar Wai fandom. I love his movies up to ITMFL, but it will be interesting to see if his legacy lasts one to two generation after the current voters. Chungking Express is #88 so WKW has two in the list list while other more renown directors didn't even get one. He fell off the cliff after ITMFL though. I was disappointed with 2046. Chinese critics usually rank his earlier Days of Being Wild higher but ITMFL resonates more with western viewers.

by Anonymousreply 151December 2, 2022 8:43 PM

Puh-leeze, like ANY of these stack up to the masters. They'll be consigned to the dustbin of oblivion in no time at all.

by Anonymousreply 152December 2, 2022 8:48 PM

This year Jeanne Dielman, next year Warhol's Empire.

by Anonymousreply 153December 2, 2022 9:05 PM

[Quote]No All About Eve, Wilder’s greatest film by far with easily the greatest and most sophisticated script ever written? Please. Hitchcock and Wilder are over represented, as is Scorsese. No Allen at all? Ridiculous. And there are a lot more animated films that should be considered. This list is pretty lame, relying on judges who I guarantee have seen barely half of these movies and relied on film professors to help them with voting

R106 maybe you should rely on professors regarding film history. Wilder didn't write or direct All About Eve. He directed that other film classic from 1950 Sunset Boulevard

by Anonymousreply 154December 2, 2022 9:13 PM

[quote]Kidz be sayin'...

It was probably "the kidz" (i.e., younger critics/programmers/critics) who voted for Jeanne Dielman in such numbers, but go ahead and flail at shadows. The whole point of my post was to express that I don't think JD has the broad appeal that a film in the top spot should have (and that Citizen Kane and Vertigo have), from the perspective of someone who actually likes the damn thing. Nothing more or less. I'm certainly aware that a lot of people won't like the film and shouldn't watch it.

by Anonymousreply 155December 2, 2022 9:37 PM

[quote]No love for Jean Eustache's LA MAMAN ET LA PUTAIN (73), possibly because it's not readily available now for home viewing, even in France. I watched Akerman's long film once (which was enough), but I love seeing Eustache's equally long masterpiece every couple of years.

[quote]Also no love for Louis Malle or Jacques Demy, sadly.

It's definitely a big boost for a film to be readily available on streaming/Blu Ray (as JEANNE DIELMAN is). I saw LA MAMAN ET LA PUTAIN in the 90s, when it got a VHS release, but anyone who wants to watch it now has to hunt for a torrent or wait for a sub par copy to turn up on YouTube. But it's a great film with one of Léaud's greatest performances.

Genuinely surprised THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG didn't make the cut. Two Vardas and no Demy ain't right. Malle has never been a popular choice for polls like this but he made several films I love. THE FIRE WITHIN would probably be on my own list, personally.

by Anonymousreply 156December 2, 2022 9:47 PM

R154, see R148.

by Anonymousreply 157December 2, 2022 10:19 PM

Demy was a far greater talent than his beard wife.

by Anonymousreply 158December 2, 2022 10:39 PM

None of the above

by Anonymousreply 159December 2, 2022 10:42 PM

Which Tyler Perry movies made the list?

by Anonymousreply 160December 2, 2022 10:51 PM

I’m aware of that R154, you can all calm down as you rush to correct my error in director. Fucking tired ass queens.

by Anonymousreply 161December 2, 2022 10:52 PM

I think it's nearly impossible to limit your ballot to 10 films and have results which don't omit masterpieces. With the amount of films released since the initial S&S poll was instated, a 20 film ballot seems more in order today. For a 10 film ballot, Vertigo and Nicholas Ray's "Johnny Guitar" would be my first "must include" choices but after that, I would have a hard time pinning down the other 8. 10 seems much too narrow. I'm all for change and diversity but "Jeanne Dielman" doesn't strike me as a passion vote film. Seems more like a "well I'd better include this in my pick since it's being talked up and it checks all the diversity boxes." And it was being talked up. This is life today so this is what we get. No big deal. This is what you get with consensus voting.

by Anonymousreply 162December 2, 2022 11:18 PM

One perfect movie that will never be on anyone's list of best films and yet may be the best of them all is "SCROOGE" 1951, Sim.

by Anonymousreply 163December 3, 2022 12:06 AM

[Quote]No All About Eve, Wilder’s greatest film by far with easily the greatest and most sophisticated script ever written? Please. Hitchcock and Wilder are over represented, as is Scorsese. No Allen at all? Ridiculous. And there are a lot more animated films that should be considered. This list is pretty lame, relying on judges who I guarantee have seen barely half of these movies and relied on film professors to help them with voting

[Quote]I’m aware of that [R154], you can all calm down as you rush to correct my error in director.

R161 how about working on your errors in syntax which makes your factual fuck ups seem minor

by Anonymousreply 164December 3, 2022 12:14 AM

Double Indemnity? Dodsworth? Some Like it Hot? Sunset Boulevard? Weekend? Bringing Up Baby? The Gangs All Here? Rear Window? All of these are far more influential than at least 25% of those listed.

by Anonymousreply 165December 3, 2022 12:47 AM

[quote]I agree with the very smart folks here, Avengers Endgame shoulda been number 1 because it has a plot and lots of people have seen it.

This is the type of trite, bad faith reaction to the Sight & Sound poll that the critics who took part in this poll not only encouraged, they had to have outright intended. Of course if you don't think an obscure, virtually plotless movie that is 200 minutes long is the greatest film of all time, you should stick to comic book movies, you philistine! There's an element of trolling to it, and that will be fatal to the poll's reputation. It was once seen as canon; in the last poll, Vertigo unseating Citizen Kane felt like a monumental shift. This, though, feels like contrarianism.

You can choose to be either canonical or contrarian, but you can't be both.

by Anonymousreply 166December 3, 2022 1:04 AM

Adam McKay included Jeanne Dielman on his ballot, which makes me wonder how many other normies picked it as their token arty outlier. Who knows, maybe more people genuinely like this film than I would have figured.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167December 3, 2022 1:19 AM

You can find more directors’ top ten on World of Film. Out of the twenty or so directors listed, only McKay, Joanna Hogg, and Luca Guadadnino have Jeanne Dielman on their lists. 2001 and Raging Bill seemed to be the most cited films among this directors.

by Anonymousreply 168December 3, 2022 1:33 AM

If they had a womens quota then Lina Wertmuller should have been in there

by Anonymousreply 169December 3, 2022 2:30 AM

R151, I've heard regular people who have seen In The Mood For Love gush about it. It has a kind of unironic romanticism that is completely lacking in modern film. Definitely belongs in a conversation about a top 30 at least.

by Anonymousreply 170December 3, 2022 3:30 AM

Of films from this millennium, I'd say In the Mood for Love and Mulholland Drive are two that have definitely established themselves as modern classics with pretty wide appeal. I'm not surprised to see them in the Top 10 at all.

by Anonymousreply 171December 3, 2022 3:45 AM

R125 Mia and Ronan.

by Anonymousreply 172December 3, 2022 3:45 AM

Well, "the greatest film of all time" has a very noticable technical flub about an hour into its running time - a boom mic appears on the right side of the screen for several seconds.

by Anonymousreply 173December 3, 2022 4:10 AM

HAPPY TOGETHER is Wong Kar-Wai's greatest movie, or at least would be my pick for inclusion in the Top 100. He certainly deserves be in the pantheon now.'

If you have to "tick the box" and include a French woman director (the list is overly-oriented toward the French New Wave), Nelly Kaplan and Jacqueline Audry deserve to be included just as much as Varda does. (AV was fortunate in living a long life, was well-connected, and never needed to be rediscovered).

by Anonymousreply 174December 3, 2022 1:02 PM

I think movies which have a lot of impact on pop culture even years after they were released should also be considered for any greatest movies list. Movies like Silence Of the Lambs basically reinvented an entire genre and has been a pop culture staple. How can it be not there on any list ? So do movies like Star Wars, Lord Of the Rings, Annie Hall, The Big Lebowski etc.

Also I am curious many of us are so divided about Get Out but no one is talking about Moon Light or that other movie. Other than critical acclaim these movies broke no boundaries, have not had any impact on people, or a pop culture staple.

by Anonymousreply 175December 3, 2022 5:57 PM

R175 It isn't just a critical acclaim. They well all well received by public as well. And isn't that most important thing when making a best movies list? That they are good? Well, actually the only important thing. Who cares about pop culture or breaking boundaries? Serbian Film or Cannibal Holocaust broke boundaries. Does that mean they should be on the list? Harry Potter movies or dozens of action hero movies of the last two decades became part of the pop culture. Does that mean they should be on the list?

by Anonymousreply 176December 3, 2022 8:42 PM

It's funny that "The Shawshank Redemption" has held the #1 spot at the IMDB forever, but it doesn't even make the top 100 of a critics' list.

by Anonymousreply 177December 3, 2022 11:11 PM

Moonlight is a mistake! It’s meant to be La La Land on the list. Warren what did you do this time??

by Anonymousreply 178December 3, 2022 11:39 PM

THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, like IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. will forever be front and center in people's hearts, as they should be, critics be damned.

by Anonymousreply 179December 3, 2022 11:57 PM

Mulholland Drive is fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 180December 4, 2022 12:00 AM

I thought Moonlight was visually so beautiful. The scenes in the water were just gorgeous. For that alone, I’m ok with it being on the list.

by Anonymousreply 181December 4, 2022 12:00 AM

Former New York Times film critic Janet Maslin provided this response on Twitter. As usual she is spot-on.

"Looks like a list by dutiful A-seeking film students and Criterion addicts. My God, the world is so much bigger than this."

by Anonymousreply 182December 4, 2022 2:21 PM

Janet Maslin's pussy stinks!

by Anonymousreply 183December 4, 2022 11:45 PM

[quote] Dodsworth?

I recently tweeted about Wyler being underrated, and even I had never heard of this film before your post, so I don't think it's the canonized classic you think it is, r165.

by Anonymousreply 184December 4, 2022 11:58 PM

Paul Schrader is pissing off a lot of people with his comments on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 185December 5, 2022 12:03 AM

[quote]For seventy years the SIGHT AND SOUND POLL has been a reliable if somewhat incremental measure of critical consensus and priorities. Films moved up the list, others moved down; but it took time. The sudden appearance of "Jeanne Dielman" in the number one slot undermines the S&S poll's credibility. It feels off, as if someone had put their thumb on the scale. Which I suspect they did. As Tom Stoppard pointed out in Jumpers, in democracy it doesn't matter who gets the votes, it matters who counts the votes. By expanding the voting community and the point system this year's S&S poll reflects not a historical continuum but a politically correct rejiggering. Ackerman's film is a favorite of mine, a great film, a landmark film but it's unexpected number one rating does it no favors. "Jeanne Dielman" will from this time forward be remembered not only a important film in cinema history but also as a landmark of distorted woke reappraisal.

This is what Schrader posted on Facebook about the poll.

by Anonymousreply 186December 5, 2022 12:07 AM

Paul Schrader is absolutely correct.

by Anonymousreply 187December 5, 2022 12:42 AM

Did they say they weighed female and minority voices on a curve?

by Anonymousreply 188December 5, 2022 12:51 AM

Citizen Kane sucked. How come Godfather was on there?

by Anonymousreply 189December 5, 2022 12:57 AM

Schrader posts on DL, right?

by Anonymousreply 190December 5, 2022 4:28 AM

[quote]The sudden appearance of "Jeanne Dielman" in the number one slot undermines the S&S poll's credibility. It feels off, as if someone had put their thumb on the scale. Which I suspect they did.

I suspect so as well. People knew the identities of other voters (many are friends and colleagues), and they colluded with an aim of having the top vote-getter of 2022 be a film made by a woman. It would be a headline-grabbing blow against the patriarchy as epitomized by Welles, Hitchcock, Fellini, Bergman, Ozu, Kubrick, Ford, et al. Akerman's film had been the highest-placing female-directed film in the 2012 poll (at 36th), so it made the most sense as the one to rally around. This became the instruction: "Put Jeanne Dielman first on your list."

by Anonymousreply 191December 5, 2022 4:32 AM

What is also going to happen is that Ackerman's reputation is now going to take a beating as people are going to seek out her others films and find most of them are mediocre to downright terrible.

Jeanne Dielman is an excellent film, Ackerman's best easily and top ten of the year in which is was made (1975) but not one of the top ten films ever made.

by Anonymousreply 192December 5, 2022 7:04 AM

[quote]This became the instruction: "Put Jeanne Dielman first on your list."

That could not have been the instruction, as there is no "first" on a voter's list. The lists sent in are a Top Ten, unranked.

by Anonymousreply 193December 5, 2022 1:11 PM

[quote]I'm a cinephile and a French speaker and I've never even fucking heard of Jeanne Dielman. WTF?

Wow. That's all on you, though, it's not because Sight & Sound is "pretentious." It's been included in top lists on the larger websites and from bigger-name critics for a long time. It came out on Criterion in 2010.

by Anonymousreply 194December 5, 2022 1:57 PM

[quote]This became the instruction: "Put Jeanne Dielman first on your list."

That's not how you vote for the Sight & Sound poll. You submit a list of 10, not a list of 10 movies ranked 1 through 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195December 5, 2022 1:59 PM

It’s such a shame that Chantal Akerman’s Jeanne Dielman didn’t top the Sight & Sound poll 10 years ago, when she was still alive. As a great admirer of her work, I’ve been thinking about this a lot in the last few days. Toward the end of her life, you could sense that the lack of support for her work and the difficulties of continuing to create her art affected her mental health (of course, without forgetting her profound family trauma). I keep wondering if this would have made a difference. But apparently she hated polls and rankings, so maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 196December 5, 2022 2:17 PM

Mulholland Drive is my favorite movie ever so I would vote for it if I could, meaning if DL polls weren't so messed up that you need to be a tech wizard to cast your vote.

by Anonymousreply 197December 5, 2022 2:49 PM

[quote] Old masters who once appeared in the Top 10 are gone from the Top

This is disheartening. It means the dissolution of the canon.

by Anonymousreply 198December 6, 2022 12:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!