Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Hours- The new Opera

Has anyone seen the new product of The Hours at the Met?

The reviews are a bit mixed, but I thought I’d go to see Renee Fleming while she was still kicking around.

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2022 11:36 PM

I'm jealous. I want to go but I'm thousands of miles from NYC. Please report back.

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2022 3:52 AM

If you're near one of the movie theaters that carry the Met Live in HD series, it's having a Saturday afternoon broadcast on December 10, R1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2022 4:20 AM

Thanks for the link.

by Anonymousreply 3December 4, 2022 7:00 PM

A friend saw it. He said the music is listenable but the production is god awful. Which is par for the course with the Met's new productions.

by Anonymousreply 4December 4, 2022 7:16 PM

I saw it. I liked it and was moved by act two. The music is rather melodic for a modern opera and it was nice to be engaged with the actual plot line as opposed to only caring about the music/singers.

Fleming and O’Hara are both good, but Didonato steals the show.

by Anonymousreply 5December 4, 2022 7:22 PM

Was there opening night. A very ambitious production, hard to live up to that book and movie, but they mostly did. Still some technical details to iron out, the moving sets a little clunky, about 10-15 minutes could have been trimmed overall, especially for Fleming's portion whose character was not given much of an arc and sang the same lines about Richard or the flowers every time she opened her mouth. And she had the most time on stage. The final scene needs work: the three women, predictably, come together, sit in chairs center stage, and slowly turn to face the audience as they cut the lights. Predictable, not exciting. All three ladies were great, but O'Hara was the standout for me. DiDonato got a lot of laughs out of Woolf's sarcasm.

by Anonymousreply 6December 5, 2022 3:08 PM

I always get tickets in the Family Circle section, but they were twice as expensive as normal for this production for some reason. I actually could have gotten a discount through my old university, but at the time they were offering them, I didn't bother as they were "only" $5 cheaper. I'll try for Rush tickets next Thursday, I guess; their web site isn't working today.

by Anonymousreply 7December 7, 2022 5:09 PM

I haven't seen it but friends have. Fleming is apparently wonderful but the libretto is dreadful and the music flat. The production is all about pizzazz and not much else.

by Anonymousreply 8December 7, 2022 5:10 PM

R8 could you expand on what doesn't work about the libretto, in general or more specifically for you?

by Anonymousreply 9December 9, 2022 12:02 AM

I liked the production. Music was okay. Very moving story. Of the three woman, Renée Fleming was the weakest, in my opinion. DiDonato very good as Virginia Woolf. I was blown away by Kelli O’Hara. Really brave to put herself out there on the opera stage in New York. She more than holds her own, vocally, and she’s a knockout dramatically. To hear the same person succeed in such diverse rep as The Pajama Game and The Hours is really impressive IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 10December 9, 2022 12:52 AM

Saw the HD broadcast yesterday. I know Renee commissioned it but Kelli has the best part (and sang it well). What was with all the dancing and trite choreography? I guess they needed to fill up that big stage, but I wonder if it might have been better as a chamber opera.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2022 5:18 PM

I find modern Americans operas just blah. English is a terrible language for opera because each syllable requires one note— you don’t sing a few notes on one syllable like in Italian, for example.

This opera like all the others will disappear after this season, never to be seen again

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2022 5:56 PM

The three ladies were fine, but the opera was not. The first act was so long because absolutely nothing happened.....everyone wanted to kill themselves, but no one moved a muscle. They just sang about the same shit over and over for almost two hours. The second act (less than an hour) was better; the ending was the only good part of the show.

The melodies they sang were dull and boring. The rolling music the orchestra played as accompaniment was pleasant.....sort of movie soundtrack/Hans Zimmerish without the electronic sound. The libretto sucked except when they used W's quotes.

I can't recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2022 6:09 PM

Composers have lost the talent for the long lined roiled or soothing melodies that opera needs to sustain to be compelling. The last one who had it was Richard Strauss. Any opera since then gets a premiere and people go out of obligation because it's good for them but they'd really rather be genuinely enjoying something else from Strauss or before. Don't really know what happened. Porgy and Bess plays much better as an operatic musical than an opera. Handel's magnificent oratorios in English have been staged and have had some success so 'opera' in English can work. You just need a classical musical genius and they no longer exist.

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2022 1:47 PM

Menotti's operas in English all sound beautiful but they've fallen out of style.

English is just a terrible language for opera. It sounds much better in musicals

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2022 1:52 PM

Wait, am I in this?

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2022 11:36 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!