Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Twink gets NO JAIL TIME for killing two people

A Florida judge accepted a former college student’s plea deal Monday for the random 2016 killing of a well-loved couple, allowing the now 25-year-old to plead guilty by reason of insanity and avoid jail time.

Austin Harrouff — who was found by police chewing off one of the victim’s faces — will now be sent to a secure mental health facility until doctors and a judge determine that he is no longer a danger to society, according to Florida news station WPLG.

Circuit Judge Sherwood Bauer made the decision after two psychologists determined that at the time of the brutal killings Harrouff, then 19 years old, had suffered an “acute psychotic episode” and was unable to distinguish right from wrong.

But the decision did not sit well with the families of John Stevens, 59, and Michelle Mishcon Stevens, 53.

“Here we are opening the prison doors for a double murderer,” Michelle’s sister Cindy Mishcon told the court, according to the TC Palm. “Four words come to mind: White rich boy justice.”

The couple was killed when Harrouff randomly attacked them with a machete in the garage of their Tequesta home on Aug. 15, 2016.

Palm Beach County deputies arrived at the scene to find Harrouff “chewing” on the side of John’s face and growling like a dog, according to court documents previously obtained by Oxygen.com.

After he was arrested and taken to the hospital, it appeared that Harrouff spit out human flesh.

“Help me, I ate something bad,” he told officers at the time, later explaining that he had eaten “humans.”

At the time of the brutal murders, Harrouff had no drugs in his system, authorities said.

The case was slated to go on trial before a judge on Monday but the trial was called off after state prosecutors and defense lawyers agreed there was enough evidence in the case to suggest that Harrouff was legally insane at the time of the killings.

“It’s a sad case. It’s an awful case. Nobody is losing sight — I tell you I know I’m not — of the deaths and injuries that were sustained in this case. But when it all gets said and done, the state and the defense have made the determination that mental intent was not formulated. It wasn’t there and therefore the defendant is technically not guilty by reason of insanity,” Bauer said in court, according to the local paper.

Bauer made the ruling after hearing emotional testimony from the victims’ family, who took aim at the prosecutor’s decision to agree to the plea.

“I'm frustrated with the State Attorney's Office and I'm upset that I don't feel like anybody has paid attention or cared about this case in a way that they should have since day one,” Michelle’s sister Jodi Bruce said, adding that she believed prosecutors “completely gave up” on the case.

She described Michelle as the family’s “everything.”

“My family is broken. We will never be repaired,” Bruce said. “My sister was the nicest person, she would do anything for anyone.”

Michelle’s sister Cindy used her time to address the court by reading through dozens of text messages Harrouff had sent his college friends and girlfriend before the brutal murders in which he often discussed his heavy drug use, drinking and blacking out.

“Why the f--k just not do what you want,” he wrote in one message to a friend, according to The New York Post. “Just do the craziest s--t you can. i just want to be great before I die.”

In another, he referred to his own mental state.

“I thought i was crazy, but really not,” he wrote. “I just know that for me personally the drugs are taking a toll on me and I can’t handle.”

Cindy also described a series of phone calls Harrouff had made from jail to his family, where she said he had belittled the victims.

“I quickly realized from listening to those call that you don’t care…about how your actions have affected my family. You don’t care that you murdered my parents’ firstborn child,” she said. “You don’t care about anyone but yourself. In fact, the only victim that you and your family see in all of this is you and the Harrouff name.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 2, 2022 6:48 AM

Bruce was also critical of Harrouff’s father, Wade Harrouff, who purchased the knife the then-teen used in the murders just one day earlier at a gun show, despite being concerned about his erratic behavior.

“What kind of person are you?” she asked.

She also referenced jailhouse calls where she said Wade Harrouff, a successful dentist, referred to Michelle and John as “those f--king people,” according to WPLG.

“You are disgusting,” she said.

John Stevens’ daughter Ivy also questioned why Harrouff’s parents had not sought help for their son sooner.

"Why didn't you intervene if you were so worried about your son?” she said in court according to the paper. "You shouldn't have let him leave your house the night of Aug. 15 if he was acting so strange … you should have stopped him and reasoned with him, asked him what was wrong and how you could have helped him.”

She called Harrouff a “murderer,” “monster” and “coward” for “not taking responsibility” for his actions.

“You have ruined lives and taken others,” she said. “You have caused inexplicable grief, a sadness that cannot be cured.”

After the court hearing, State Attorney Tom Bakkedahl described the hearing as “the most difficult day of my professional career” and said that although he made the decision to agree to the plea because of the conclusions made by the psychologists connected to the case, he “100 percent empathized” with the family of the victims.

“This was my decision and formed by the hard work and tireless effort put in by my prosecutors. I have been intimately involved in this case for a significant period of time,” Bakkedahl said. “And I will say without hesitation that this office did everything, and I mean, absolutely everything within its power and ability, to thoroughly and completely examine this case.”

In a statement to Oxygen.com, Harrouff’s attorney Nellie L. King insisted the case had always been about “mental illness.”

“Although the not guilty by reason of insanity result in the Austin Harrouff case fails to bring comfort to the families of the victims, this finding brings this matter to its right and lawful end,” she said. “Two experts, one for the defense and one for the State, determined Austin was experiencing a psychotic break at the time of the homicides and lacked the intent necessary to be criminally responsible for his conduct.”

She added that before the killings, Harrouff had been a college student at Florida State University with no criminal record and “good grades” and a “gentle demeanor.”

“He could be anyone’s son, brother, neighbor, friend. But, the mind is a powerful thing,” she said. “Austin started to mentally decompensate in the weeks, days and moments leading up to the incident. He became grandiose and paranoid, his behavior extreme and out of character.”

She concluded by saying that Harrouff will now have to live with the pain he caused to the victims’ families.

“Upon learning of the events of that night, Austin has sought answers for the grief and anguish caused by his actions,” she said. “Austin is extremely remorseful for all that has occurred; for being at the center of this episode which has caused such unthinkable pain and a devastating loss.”

by Anonymousreply 1November 30, 2022 10:14 PM

[quote]In a statement to Oxygen.com, Harrouff’s attorney Nellie L. King insisted the case had always been about “mental illness.”

Hmm, I'd say the case was about the murder and mutilation of two human beings, but what do I know?

by Anonymousreply 2November 30, 2022 10:17 PM

What’s with Florida and eating peoples faces. No way he wasn’t on drugs. Maybe it left his system by the time it was tested. Maybe it was bath salts.

There was some other Florida guy about 5 years ago that homeless guys face off same drug.

by Anonymousreply 3November 30, 2022 10:18 PM

[quote] I'd say the case was about the murder and mutilation of two human beings, but what do I know?

Drugs, too.

Supposedly, he was high on bath salts when he committed the murders.

by Anonymousreply 4November 30, 2022 10:20 PM

🎶 Hey I just met you, And this is crazy, But I’m on Bath Salts, And your face looks tasty 🎶

by Anonymousreply 5November 30, 2022 10:24 PM

He’s cute. I don’t believe he did that.

by Anonymousreply 6November 30, 2022 10:27 PM

disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 7November 30, 2022 10:52 PM

he's been confined to a mental hospital. so basically prison.

by Anonymousreply 8November 30, 2022 10:54 PM

Was the murderer also in a wrestling team?

by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2022 11:03 PM

[quote]he's been confined to a mental hospital. so basically prison.

I’ll bet he’s out of that “prison” in a few years.

by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2022 11:08 PM

His parents are likely next.

Such a tragedy for the victims and their family.

by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2022 11:09 PM

Cut or uncut, though? I need to know that before taking side.

by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2022 11:17 PM

Once he’s released would you date him?

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2022 11:30 PM

Sure, why not?

by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2022 11:43 PM

I bet he is a passionate kisser.

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2022 11:44 PM

He's known as the "Cannibal Killer."

Not exactly boyfriend material.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2022 11:49 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2022 12:03 AM

[quote] “Help me, I ate something bad,” he told officers at the time, later explaining that he had eaten “humans.”

That’s like the start of a Penthouse story written by Armie Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2022 12:04 AM

Try again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2022 12:05 AM

This case never made much sense. What kind of "psychotic break" creates an instant killer and cannibal out of a stupid frat boy.

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2022 12:12 AM

It happens all the time. Hannibal Lecture, Jeffrey Dahmer, Armie Hammer.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2022 12:14 AM

What did Hannibal lecture about? (sic)

Lecter was a long slow boiling psychopath. And fictional. Dahmer was a lifelong psychopath. Armie Hammer is neither a killer nor a cannibal.

Your point?

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2022 12:18 AM

Eat me!

by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2022 12:21 AM

Wake up. Armie admitted to killing and eating the ribs of several girls. Or did you think they were still alive when he was eating them?

by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2022 12:25 AM

Oh please. You're pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 25December 1, 2022 12:31 AM

Defendants remanded to state hospitals as "not guilty by reason of insanity" almost always serve many more years there than if they're found guilty and sentenced to prison for the same crime. I'm guessing this is his first major felony so he would have been given about 30 years in prison if found guilty, and served half of that or so. Could be out in 12-15 years. No state hospital would release a face-eater in under 20 years, if not 30.

A judge sentences to specific timeframes; the guilty defendant can sort of count on leaving prison in a certain number of years per judge's order. However, a state hospital will only consider discharging a "not guilty by reason of insanity" face-eater after he's been a MODEL patient for years...very difficult to do even if you're not mentally ill.

And even if face-eater is an angel in the state hospital, there's a rule of thumb, as it were (in California state hospitals) -- a defendant/patient remains psychiatrically hospitalized at least the amount of time the person would have served had they been found guilty AND given the maximum prison sentence. I'm guessing the maximum sentence he would get as a first time offender would have been 30 or 40 years [to life].

And even if face-eater is finally allowed out of the state hospital (per the doctors' recommendations and a judge's consent), now in his 50s, what stepdown program is going to accept face-eater to live at their site? None of them.

His upcoming longtime stint at a state hospital has ended his freedom, will provide a setting that is punitive and grim, and he may even get a little bit of help. Justice has been served in my view.

But he didn't eat my parent's faces off, so there's that.

by Anonymousreply 26December 1, 2022 12:32 AM

That’s not true at all r26. For example Vince Li, the man who killed and decapitated Tim McLean on a bus full of passengers, served only seven years in a psych facility. After his release he was allowed to change his name and now lives with no legal obligations for treating his schizophrenia or disclosing his past crimes.

by Anonymousreply 27December 1, 2022 12:39 AM

I saw a doctor on a podcast who worked in a psyche ward for years, and he said serving time in a high security psychiatric institution is way worse than going to prison. The things that doctor saw were truly traumatizing.

by Anonymousreply 28December 1, 2022 1:06 AM

We’re they delicious

by Anonymousreply 29December 1, 2022 1:09 AM

[quote] We’re they delicious

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 30December 1, 2022 1:12 AM

R27 your example fails to prove R26 wrong.

First of all, the murder of Tim McLean took place in Canada.

Secondly, it is public knowledge that Vince Li's is now known as Will Lee Baker.

Thirdly, he was responsible to abide by certain rules, which include taking medications and attending counselling appointments. Medication for schizophrenia can be given by injection every second week. When the patient does not show up for his injection, he is readmitted to hospital against his will.

At the Manitoba Criminal Review Board, Li's doctor, testified that Li knows it’s the medication that keeps his illness at bay. Li was undiagnosed and untreated at the time of McLean's death.

by Anonymousreply 31December 1, 2022 1:21 AM

Baker? Why would he have a white last name now?

by Anonymousreply 32December 1, 2022 1:25 AM

[quote]Thirdly, he was responsible to abide by certain rules, which include taking medications and attending counselling appointments. Medication for schizophrenia can be given by injection every second week. When the patient does not show up for his injection, he is readmitted to hospital against his will.

This is incorrect. Li is under no legal obligation to continue medical treatment. There is nothing that will put him back in a psych facility if he “skips” an appointment.

by Anonymousreply 33December 1, 2022 10:33 AM

That was very informative r31. I’m not r27 but was also was under the impression that Vince Li had no real restrictions other than “take those meds ok?” Perhaps it was the way it was reported in some media outlets. Thanks for posting!

by Anonymousreply 34December 1, 2022 10:58 AM

Being confined to a mental hospital could be worse in some ways than prison. They could keep him in there forever. His fellow inmates will be extremely violent and unpredictable. I don't know why anyone would think he somehow got away with anything.

by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2022 11:01 AM

This guy was an amateur bodybuilder. In what universe was he a twink?

FF OP for offensive misuse of the term Twink.

by Anonymousreply 36December 1, 2022 11:45 AM

[quote]Defendants remanded to state hospitals as "not guilty by reason of insanity" almost always serve many more years there than if they're found guilty and sentenced to prison for the same crime. I'm guessing this is his first major felony so he would have been given about 30 years in prison if found guilty, and served half of that or so. Could be out in 12-15 years. No state hospital would release a face-eater in under 20 years, if not 30.

Maybe. And maybe his rich dad hires a bunch of psychiatrists to say he's fully recovered. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

by Anonymousreply 37December 1, 2022 11:50 AM

R20

"In a 2019 report, Dr. Phillip Resnick, a forensic psychiatrist at the University Hospitals of Cleveland in Ohio, wrote Harrouff had bipolar disorder and was manic with psychotic features. He noted Harrouff went through a period of ranging moods a week prior to the stabbing deaths.

According to Resnick's report, Harrouff also had an acute manic episode and experienced clinical lycanthropy. He believed he had turned into a "non-human being" and was being persecuted. "

There you are then...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 1, 2022 11:51 AM

"Maybe. And maybe his rich dad hires a bunch of psychiatrists to say he's fully recovered. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened."

I don't see anything wrong with that...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 1, 2022 12:06 PM

R38 I really appreciate you took the time to explain the specific defense for this case. Yikes. Still, perhaps I would need to be a moral philosopher to understand criminal insanity logic.

by Anonymousreply 40December 1, 2022 12:08 PM

Oh, another roided-out schizo from Florida. What a shithole hellhole dump that deserves to be submerged real soon.

by Anonymousreply 41December 1, 2022 12:11 PM

Well now I’m all confused about the Manitoba guy. Two people here are empathic and completely opposing each other on that guy’s conditions for being let out.

by Anonymousreply 42December 1, 2022 12:13 PM

I suspect he'll be imprisoned in a mental hospital for a long time to come.

by Anonymousreply 43December 1, 2022 12:20 PM

Here you go r42. From Maclean’s:

[quote]The board’s decision on Friday means he will no longer be subject to any conditions or monitoring to ensure he takes his medication.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 1, 2022 12:22 PM

R40

Though it may be difficult to comprehend at times, the law is meant to dispense justice not merely mete out punishment and perhaps retribution.

If someone truly was mentally deficient at time a crime was committed they cannot be held liable for their actions. Justice in such cases requires exactly what was done, an insanity plea accepted (or defendant otherwise found not guilty by reason of same). Defendant then is put away in state care until they either become sane enough to withstand trial or whatever.

By all accounts this crime was gruesome. Defendant was chowing down on male victim even after LE arrived and with guns locked and loaded refused to stop "eating". That's just not normal behaviour..

by Anonymousreply 45December 1, 2022 12:23 PM

OMG clinical lycanthropy is fascinating!

On August 15, 2016, Martin County Florida Sheriff's Office deputies found a 19-year-old male on top of a bloodied 59-year-old man, gnawing on his face, eating pieces of flesh, and making growling sounds. Officers tased, repeatedly kicked, and ultimately required a police dog's assistance in subduing the 19-year-old. Inside the garage of the home on Southeast Kokomo Lane, just north of the Palm Beach County line, deputies found a 53-year-old woman, beaten, bloodied and unresponsive. Ultimately both the 59-year-old man and 53-year-old woman would die from their injuries. In the weeks ahead of this incident, the 19-year-old told family members he believed he was either half-man, half-horse or half-man, half-dog. Clinical psychologist Dr. Phillip Resnick later assessed the 19-year-old as having clinical lycanthropy.[20][21]

A 20-year-old man was admitted to a mental hospital due to his increasingly agitated and erratic behaviors. During his initial evaluation, he was guarded and preoccupied. He had no previous psychiatric history. Over the next few days, he displayed increasingly psychotic, animal-like behaviors. These behaviors included howling loudly, running abruptly, and crawling on all fours. He appeared to be internally stimulated. When asked about these behaviors, he was initially evasive but eventually admitted that he believed he was a werewolf and would periodically transform into a wolf. He started believing this after having visions of "the Devil" years before and reported hearing random voices. The patient was started on ziprasidone and his symptoms gradually responded and his animal-like behaviors eventually ceased altogether.[22]

A 25-year-old man was sent for treatment during a period of excessive hand-washing, irritable behavior, decreased sleep, and acting like a buffalo. The patient reported that he had engaged in sexual activity with his buffalo and believed that buffalo cells had entered his body and were transforming him into a buffalo. He began obsessively washing his hands and genitals in order to avoid the transition. He saw himself as having buffalo body parts and became preoccupied about his appearance. He then began to act as a buffalo by nodding his head, walking on all fours, and seeking out hay and grass to eat. He was ultimately diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder and body dysmorphic disorder with delusional beliefs. He was treated with fluoxetine and risperidone, and after 6 months of pharmacotherapy, his body dysmorphia and hand-washing were both reduced.[7]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 1, 2022 12:24 PM

R20 a psychotic break turned a Canadian student into Buffy .

by Anonymousreply 47December 1, 2022 12:26 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 1, 2022 12:48 PM

Possible changes to Florida laws...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 2, 2022 6:12 AM

Defense of Insanity, a primer...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 2, 2022 6:16 AM

Oh God being in a mental facility is way worse than prison. I’d rather be in prison with rapists and murderers than schizophrenics and cannibals and shit. Holy shit.

A lot of people try to pretend to be crazy when they commit a murder because they think a mental hospital will be easier. But they say mental facilities would be much harder if you have any sanity in you.

by Anonymousreply 51December 2, 2022 6:23 AM

Oh, the face eater.

Well.

At the VERY LEAST, I would agree with a twenty years until he was up for parole.

He was fucked up but he is still accountable. No jail time isn't fair or just.

by Anonymousreply 52December 2, 2022 6:38 AM

R51

Welcome to my world!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 2, 2022 6:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!