Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How to elevate and upgrade your life...

–Get rid of all your old bedding and switch to white. White sheets look good. You also know when they are soiled. You can wash them in hot water with a little bleach. Your linen closet will look better with all white linens. If you live alone or with one other person, you should own three or four sets of sheets plus additional pillow cases.

–Get rid of all your old towels and switch to white. Make sure you have a big stack of white washcloths.

–Get rid of all your old dishtowels and purchase all white kitchen lines (bar mop towels & flour sack towels)

–Remove everything from your kitchen countertops. Nothing says out of control like a kitchen that is cluttered with stuff. Appliances should be put away and should not live on the counter.

–Clean the kitchen sink every night before bed. Scrub it with Ajax or Comet and shine all the hardware.

–Go through your home and do some serious editing. Go room-by-room and make sure that everything that you have out is something you love. Be very intentional about everything that can be seen in your home.

–Clean your refrigerator and freezer – weekly.

–Install rheostats on all your lights.

–Get rid of random glassware and dishes. Matching glassware should be the goal. And why not have a set of all-white dishes?

–Edit your home bar. Get rid of things you no longer drink. Just keep the essentials.

–Purchase some house plants and take care of them. If nothing else, this shows the world that you are able to care for something.

–Well in advance of actually going to bed, prepare your bedroom for sleep each night. Just before dinner, I like to go in the bedroom and make sure the temperature of the room is how I like it. If it's winter, I preheat the bed by turning on my electric mattress pad. If it's summer, I turn on the air conditioner. I put the lights on and dim them. And I turn down the bed and fluff the pillows.

What other suggestions do people have for making one's home life nicer?

by Anonymousreply 319December 23, 2022 2:10 PM

You sound very high maintenance OP. And who has time to put away all their kitchen appliances night after night and clean out their fridge every week?

by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2022 5:15 PM

What a fusspot!

by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2022 5:17 PM

OP Nick Fuentes.

by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2022 5:19 PM

Life so white. Die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2022 5:21 PM

[quote]And why not have a set of all-white dishes?

I hate white dishes. The couple who inherited mine loved white, though. Each of them must have said to me twice, "Oh, EVERYTHING looks better on white." I just smiled. I was happy to get rid of the Apilco, and glad they were going to someone who could appreciate them.

I'll stick to my turquoise Fiestaware (don't have a heart attack, Old Priss).

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2022 5:21 PM

OP is obviously a white supremacist

by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2022 5:23 PM

EVERYTHING looks like shit on turquoise Fiestaware.

by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2022 5:23 PM

Much of what you suggest, I already do. I don't give a fuck how other people organize their homes, we're not partaking in your master class...

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2022 5:23 PM

OP, you need to just unclench.

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2022 5:24 PM

I like a mismatch of dishes. As long as the color schemes are close, like blue and white, you can collect beautiful, interesting plates and dinnerware. I'm not a fan of a lot of white on white.

by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2022 5:24 PM

#LinensSoWhite

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2022 5:26 PM

Are you Guatemalan, OP?

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2022 5:26 PM

OP = Nicolas Fairford

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2022 5:26 PM

OP is Greg.

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2022 5:29 PM

I like a lived-in look.

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2022 5:30 PM

I can confirm R7, but my partner of 25 years insists on those dishes.

by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2022 5:32 PM

White White White is the color of OP's carpet!

by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2022 5:34 PM

If you've got w-w carpeting, ditch it. Wood floors -- real wood -- covered with rugs from somewhere between Turkey and India only.

Ditto rubber tile if you've got it in the kitchen or bathroom. Nice quarry tile even stone instead.

And it goes without saying: white pillows, 100 percent down.

by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2022 5:34 PM

Can’t OP just come over and do all this for me?

by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2022 5:50 PM

OP is more anal than me...

by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2022 5:56 PM

OP, you need a long hard fuck

by Anonymousreply 21November 29, 2022 6:06 PM

[quote] OP is Greg.

That's right, R14, it's totally me. You should be a detective.

by Anonymousreply 22November 29, 2022 6:15 PM

I agree with OP one hundred percent. I have absolutely no linen or towels in my house that are not white. There is a reason towels in most hotels and resorts are white......bleach and hot water are your friends....kill germs and bacteria too.......

by Anonymousreply 23November 29, 2022 6:15 PM

OP sounds exhausting!

by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2022 6:17 PM

R23 is clearly a diseased and unwashed whore who needs to clean and disinfect his linens like a hotel.

by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2022 6:18 PM

r25 viva disease and dirt !!!!

by Anonymousreply 26November 29, 2022 6:19 PM

I have white towels and sheets and keep my kitchens (business in same building as residence, with a separate test kitchen) organized.

But I certainly wouldn't suggest to anyone else that they can "elevate and upgrade YOUR LIFE," with a misplaced ellipsis yet.

That is a lunatic or troll phrase.

Obviously.

by Anonymousreply 27November 29, 2022 6:26 PM

white gets dingy awfully quick. i've worked in hotels most of my life and we are always purchasing new towels and sheets because they get dingy and gray quick.

we tried dying them but as the OP states people don't like any other color really. white symbolizes clean

by Anonymousreply 28November 29, 2022 6:27 PM

Have to agree with OP about white linens, towels and wash cloths so they can be laundered in hot water with some bleach, colored towels seem kind of gross to me.

But I love color and yes I have Fiestaware in a bunch of shades.

by Anonymousreply 29November 29, 2022 6:28 PM

And OP wonders why he is still single....

by Anonymousreply 30November 29, 2022 6:29 PM

Single! OP wonders why she is still a virgin!

by Anonymousreply 31November 29, 2022 6:30 PM

No. White holds stains.

by Anonymousreply 32November 29, 2022 6:31 PM

White sheets would remind me of a hospital more than a hotel.

by Anonymousreply 33November 29, 2022 6:32 PM

Oh! Pee! is Nuni and Noony.

No. .. Nuunee. .. Knew-knee!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34November 29, 2022 6:35 PM

How does taking all the color out of your life upgrade it?

Sounds about as fun as living in a sanitarium

by Anonymousreply 35November 29, 2022 6:37 PM

This is a switch out not an upgrade. I use laundry stain remover but it doesn't remove all discolorations

by Anonymousreply 36November 29, 2022 6:37 PM

The great thing about getting white sheets is that you can use the top sheet for so many other things

by Anonymousreply 37November 29, 2022 6:37 PM

yay Fiestaware! yay multicolored mismatch towels! yay grungy bathroom sink the cat curls up in! yay black rubber tires on my car! yay dusty old shoes i wear around the house! yay forgetting to shave every day! yay old age wrinkles carbuncles calluses flaky scalp farts picking my nose! yay any damn thing on gods green and very grubby earth! OP take a nap!

by Anonymousreply 38November 29, 2022 6:38 PM

R28 Actually you can keep your whites really white but the stuff you have to use will wear out the fabric and you'll end up with holes and tears instead of dinginess.

by Anonymousreply 39November 29, 2022 6:38 PM

Funny, when I moved into my new apartment earlier this year, I was so happy to buy more colourful dishware, priss-OP!

Handmade, uneven and imperfect, but I absolutely love them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40November 29, 2022 6:40 PM

I use Biz instead of bleach and it works very well on white shirts, towels, bed linens, etc. Bleach is good for sanitizing but it doesn’t address yellowing/oxidizing and can in fact make it worse. Biz is often used by conservators who work with antique and vintage fabrics.

by Anonymousreply 41November 29, 2022 6:40 PM

Go on a journey of self discovery and figure out your interior design aesthetic. Check online resources like architectural digest or hardware stores. Check YouTube for channels about how to keep your home neat and tidy and ways to declutter. Be proud of being proactive and self-sufficient. Manage your budget. There is an endless amount of resources online for all kinds of thing one can do to better his or her life. Sure, most of them are not what you are looking for / right for you, but that makes finding the right ones even more thrilling. It also helps you to appreciate the endless variety of options out there.

by Anonymousreply 42November 29, 2022 6:48 PM

I have more than one home, and decided at one point that all the beds (all Queen size) would use the exact same sheets, so I got over a dozen sets of white-on-white striped sheets. This way, I never have to try to match sheets to pillowcases when folding laundry, and anything will fit any bed. I absolutely love it.

I agree on the white thing. White towels, sheets, bath mats, etc, actually tell you when they're dirty and need washing.

by Anonymousreply 43November 29, 2022 6:51 PM

OP is way too anal, but some good points.

White plates make food look good IF you know how to plate food like a chef or at least give a shit about presentation.

White towels and sheets can be bleached and washed in extra hot water to kill bacteria.

I beg to differ on the countertop thing. While it may look junky, all professional kitchen designers and even cooks say if the appliance has to be dragged out of a cabinet every time you need to use it, then it's never going to be used. There's a lot of truth to that. Appliances are bulky and heavy. It become too much of a chore to drag that shit out every time you just need it for something simple.

by Anonymousreply 44November 29, 2022 6:52 PM

I had to look up "rheostat." I still don't understand what it is and why I need it.

I am happier being surrounded with color in my life. I'll check into a hospital if I want white sheets all the time.

by Anonymousreply 45November 29, 2022 6:54 PM

I guess it's so obvious your whites have to be cotton whites there's no need to even mention it.

by Anonymousreply 46November 29, 2022 6:56 PM

White sheets are something you do for an Airbnb to give your home a hotel or vacation resort feel. This association with white being equal to clean is rather outdated.

by Anonymousreply 47November 29, 2022 6:57 PM

You're being weird. Clean is one thing and white is another. Are we really going there with the white= clean?

by Anonymousreply 48November 29, 2022 6:57 PM

[quote]Check online resources like architectural digest or hardware stores.

No and No. Those are probably the worst places you could go. Architectural Digest is a magazine that has been around for decades pushing unrealistic interiors to make the photo shots look good. Besides being very dated in their idea of what is tasteful, their goal is to fill the shots with "stuff" and sell magazines, not promote good design. Hardware store really? Are you a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 49November 29, 2022 6:57 PM

White sheets ONLY if you're too old for regular anal. My sets are black, navy, and forest green. A white comforter can be lovely, but turn it down when it's time to get it on.

by Anonymousreply 50November 29, 2022 6:58 PM

You cant bleach black towels.

It's not about color, that's a side effect. Bleach kills bacterial, viruses and mold. It's used a lot in 3rd world countries to wash fruit in a bucket of water. Why do you think it's used in pools all the time?

by Anonymousreply 51November 29, 2022 7:02 PM

r49, the idea is to get inspiration for, say, color schemes and what can be done with what you've got.

[quote] Architectural Digest is a magazine that has been around for decades pushing unrealistic interiors to make the photo shots look good. Besides being very dated in their idea of what is tasteful, their goal is to fill the shots with "stuff" and sell magazines, not promote good design.

Duh! Of course, they want you to sell stuff. You're supposed to train your eye to figure out what looks good and pleasing in your home. Even DIY books encourage you to buy stuff.

Like, is OP's advice bad purely because he wants you to buy new stuff like ALL WHITE linens, bed sheets and towels?

by Anonymousreply 52November 29, 2022 7:06 PM

Try YouTube you silly old goat. Lots of designers on there not selling STUFF like a old school magazines. If you have to "figure it out" when looking at a magazine, then you should be able to figure it out without the help of a magazine. That dose not mean going online to the digital version of the magazine either. Look for designers who are not pushing their own line of accessories, not magazines.

by Anonymousreply 53November 29, 2022 7:11 PM

OP, sounds fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 54November 29, 2022 7:13 PM

Nothing says"gay men are nothing like women" more than a thread about home decor and linens and the proper colors to buy.

by Anonymousreply 55November 29, 2022 7:14 PM

No thanks to any of your advice, OP. I hate white dishes, sheets, linens, etc. I love vintage and antiques and don't mind if I have a mismatched set.

I keep liquor based on what I like to drink when, and some of it only comes out once or twice a year.

I'm not scrubbing my sink every night or cleaning my fridge and freezer every week. No thanks. How much time do you have on your hands exactly?

by Anonymousreply 56November 29, 2022 7:15 PM

Remove tattoos and revert hair to natural color.

by Anonymousreply 57November 29, 2022 7:17 PM

It's just OP trying to show off he knows the SAT word for "dimmer switch" R45

by Anonymousreply 58November 29, 2022 7:18 PM

What the fuck are you Eldergays doing that you are so worried about the hospital-level cleanliness of your sheets and towels?

Are you inviting homeless guys back to your house to fuck?

Lepers?

Oh wait... there were those threads...

Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 59November 29, 2022 7:20 PM

Thanimus, you sound like a pig.

by Anonymousreply 60November 29, 2022 7:21 PM

[quote]It's just OP trying to show off he knows the SAT word for "dimmer switch"

Only old goats use that word for Dimmer Switch though. He probably thinks his place looks like the "Bees Knees".

by Anonymousreply 61November 29, 2022 7:26 PM

I don't care about you OP, but I follow Randy Rainbow on Instagram, and he has a lovely little one bedroom in Manhattan on a high floor. I love the way he decorates. Lots of white but with pops of color and delightful artwork. Now he has it decorated for Christmas so it's a bit cluttered, but most of the time it is clean and lovely and the white gives us the illusion of more space, which is an advantage.

by Anonymousreply 62November 29, 2022 7:39 PM

[quote] I don't care about you OP, but I follow Randy Rainbow on Instagram ...

That's lovely. I [bold] do [/bold] care about you.

by Anonymousreply 63November 29, 2022 7:45 PM

R40. I feel sorry for the person who is having the belgian endive for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 64November 29, 2022 7:46 PM

Well, I meant I wasn't influenced by your post, . I realize how rude and callous I seemed. Sorry. I apologize.

by Anonymousreply 65November 29, 2022 7:49 PM

R40, I feel sorry for anyone eating off of those shitty plates.

by Anonymousreply 66November 29, 2022 7:49 PM

I will NEVER remove my white toaster from the kitchen counter.

by Anonymousreply 67November 29, 2022 7:49 PM

[quote] Well, I meant I wasn't influenced by your post, . I realize how rude and callous I seemed. Sorry. I apologize.

R65, you're a nice person. Apology accepted.

by Anonymousreply 68November 29, 2022 7:51 PM

[quote] I will NEVER remove my white toaster from the kitchen counter.

On [bold] Derry Girls [/bold] they said that Catholics leave their toasters on the counter and Protestants put their toasters away after using them.

by Anonymousreply 69November 29, 2022 7:52 PM

OP uses Melmac plates.

by Anonymousreply 70November 29, 2022 7:54 PM

You have a problem with that R70?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71November 29, 2022 7:56 PM

6 months of regular jelqing

by Anonymousreply 72November 29, 2022 7:58 PM

OP just got a prescription for Adderall or Wellbutrin three weeks ago and went on a purging/cleaning frenzy, and now they come here into our Datalounge telling us what to do and not do, AS IF they've been doing this their whole life!

They're preachy as someone who just started a new diet after watching a food documentary on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 73November 29, 2022 7:58 PM

I like black dishes. Food looks stunning on them.

by Anonymousreply 74November 29, 2022 8:00 PM

[quote] OP just got a prescription for Adderall or Wellbutrin three weeks ago and went on a purging/cleaning frenzy, and now they come here into our Datalounge telling us what to do and not do, AS IF they've been doing this their whole life! They're preachy as someone who just started a new diet after watching a food documentary on Netflix.

R73, you are so full of shit. "Your" Datalounge? And yes, I have been living this way for most of my adult life. You are basically confessing that you live like an animal. You do, don't you? You do live like an animal. And not a nice animal either.

by Anonymousreply 75November 29, 2022 8:03 PM

Color is irrelevant. High thread count cotton sheets. They last for years and always feel amazing.

by Anonymousreply 76November 29, 2022 8:04 PM

[quote] I like black dishes. Food looks stunning on them.

I love black dishes. You should see how stunning I look on one of my black dishes.

by Anonymousreply 77November 29, 2022 8:05 PM

I didn't know it was you Greg, though I should have. On that account OP Greg probably has been doing this since nursery school.

by Anonymousreply 78November 29, 2022 8:05 PM

Serenity through Order!

by Anonymousreply 79November 29, 2022 8:33 PM

R66 I feel sorry for anyone having to spend a second in your shitty company.

by Anonymousreply 80November 29, 2022 8:47 PM

Greg, I like you and the recipes you share but you have been called out for being a troll.

Are you really the OP of this thread?

by Anonymousreply 81November 29, 2022 9:42 PM

I’ve got white sheets and pale blue sheets to mix or match.

by Anonymousreply 82November 30, 2022 1:06 AM

When you die OP, I don’t want any of your stuff.

by Anonymousreply 83November 30, 2022 1:19 AM

I like you OP.

All my towels and washcloths are white. My counters have nothing on them. I do prepare my bedroom before going to bed also. The other stuff you wrote, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 84November 30, 2022 1:22 AM

I so agree with everything OP says.

by Anonymousreply 85November 30, 2022 1:25 AM

I don't use white linens because my dirty black pooch will leave an impression of little black furs.

Colors cover a multitude of sins.

by Anonymousreply 86November 30, 2022 1:27 AM

My sheets are pale blue and another set is pale mint green. I Have three pairs of the blue and one of the green. More than enough. I am so lazy that when I strip my bedding, I will launder the set of sheets than put it right back on the bed because I hate folding sheets. I suppose at some point they'll fall apart, but fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 87November 30, 2022 1:29 AM

My sheets are charcoal grey, since the cat is black (and long-hair breed) and sheds a lot. He ignores the rules about not sleeping directly in the bed on the sheets. His paws get cold so he likes to sleep on the sheet, smushed up against the pillow, with his paws tucked under the blanket.

by Anonymousreply 88November 30, 2022 1:31 AM

I do all those things, and I also bleached my rescue dog. He was a tawny color when I got him, but a little vinegar, bleach and elbow grease took the color right out. He goes so much better with my white linens now.

by Anonymousreply 89November 30, 2022 1:34 AM

You sound German, OP.

by Anonymousreply 90November 30, 2022 1:38 AM

I have a domestic staff who takes care of all those things, OP.

Elevate and upgrade that, OP.

by Anonymousreply 91November 30, 2022 2:05 AM

R89 thanks for the laugh. That was funny.

by Anonymousreply 92November 30, 2022 2:13 AM

Dreadful advice, most of it. Almost none of it will improve a person’s life; some of it is just a matter of preference.

The dimmer lights are the only “must” for me. They really do improve things.

by Anonymousreply 93November 30, 2022 2:15 AM

Plants are a good tip. They are cheap and improve the looks of a room beyond almost anything else.

by Anonymousreply 94November 30, 2022 2:25 AM

Greg is the OP. His use of bar mops gave him away.

by Anonymousreply 95November 30, 2022 2:36 AM

Boy that Greg is a real piece o’ work.

by Anonymousreply 96November 30, 2022 2:55 AM

Why yes OP , who wants that Ghastly fiesta ware when one could have villeroy and boch cortina on their table

by Anonymousreply 97November 30, 2022 3:03 AM

[quote] How to elevate and upgrade your life...

Put the DL troll called Greg on ignore.

by Anonymousreply 98November 30, 2022 3:05 AM

Neurotic household keeper Joan Crawford would agree with everything on Op's batshit crazy list.

by Anonymousreply 99November 30, 2022 3:07 AM

Who the hell is going to clean their kitchen sink every night??!! That's bizarre and needless. You're going to be so busy doing all these things that you won't have time to have much of a life. STOP and smell the ROSES. And calm down!!

by Anonymousreply 100November 30, 2022 3:12 AM

Stealth Bed Bath & Beyond Employee thread.

by Anonymousreply 101November 30, 2022 3:22 AM

Fresh, cut flowers are cheery, whenever possible.

I agree w/ OP. I like my place to be clean and tidy. I'd add a little more chaos in the way of personal items. My other half actually prefers clutter, I do not.. I vote for OP to be our very own DL, Male Martha.

by Anonymousreply 102November 30, 2022 3:29 AM

BTW, what is a rheostat? Is it a lighting dimmer?

by Anonymousreply 103November 30, 2022 3:32 AM

One simple thing to elevate your life everyday, if you don't have help: make your bed every morning.

That's all.

by Anonymousreply 104November 30, 2022 3:36 AM

[Quote]Who the hell is going to clean their kitchen sink every night??!! That's bizarre and needless. You're going to be so busy doing all these things that you won't have time to have much of a life. STOP and smell the ROSES. And calm down!!

I see people at the gym spending far more time looking at their phone over a period of 90mins than it would take for me to clean up, make a bed, make coffee and take out the garbage . . . and also workout without taking 10-15 minute intervals between reps!

I doubt they ever stop and smell the roses or realize where they are half the time.

What do you do all day R100?

by Anonymousreply 105November 30, 2022 3:47 AM

Why white when you can 'Think Pink?!'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106November 30, 2022 3:54 AM

Wanna upgrade your life? Stop listening to people tell you what colors you should sleep on and what color plates to eat off.

by Anonymousreply 107November 30, 2022 4:09 AM

OP neglected to mention that you should throw out all your mismatched underwear and replace it with basic white briefs. Like towels and sheets, you can look inside and instantly tell if they’ve been soiled. A little bleach and you’re good to go. Economical too. You can get a 9 pack for around $2 per pair and replace them when they become too discolored.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108November 30, 2022 4:10 AM

Fame !!! I'm gone live forever !!! oh wait ...

by Anonymousreply 109November 30, 2022 4:13 AM

Finally, a tip I agree with in this thread ^^

by Anonymousreply 110November 30, 2022 4:13 AM

That was for R108, not stupid R109, who beat me by a hair to the successor post to R108.

by Anonymousreply 111November 30, 2022 4:14 AM

No white sheets when Greg makes his Prune Surprise.

by Anonymousreply 112November 30, 2022 4:19 AM

These are great suggestions!

by Anonymousreply 113November 30, 2022 4:25 AM

They’re really not, Bodega-cat.

by Anonymousreply 114November 30, 2022 4:44 AM

I swear, op, if you came up with all of that yourself, you are fucking adorable. 🥹

by Anonymousreply 115November 30, 2022 4:47 AM

Change your socks and drawers daily.

by Anonymousreply 116November 30, 2022 5:03 AM

Wash your ass.

by Anonymousreply 117November 30, 2022 5:03 AM

OP, I don't agree with anything you suggested. Your aesthetic is not the same as mine, or many other people's.

Why would you assume we favor the same aesthetic you do? You sound like Joan Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 118November 30, 2022 5:40 AM

Definitely put fragrances throughout your house, such as bowls of pot pouri and sachets in drawers.

by Anonymousreply 119November 30, 2022 5:48 AM

White sheets and towels are nice, but all-white kitchen towels? OK, if they're only for display. If you actually use them as kitchen towels, they're going to acquire stains. Perhaps you could get the stains out with some effort, but that seems like a waste of time when a cheery red-and-white towel will be much more stain-tolerant. It's just a kitchen towel, FFS.

For an amazing upgrade, you could also use thick, beautiful white linen damask napkins at every meal. Of course, these will stain even more than the kitchen towels, but apparently OP has nothing but time to do laundry, so that shouldn't be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 120November 30, 2022 7:07 AM

Jesus, who gives a shit?

Chill the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 121November 30, 2022 7:16 AM

Oh that was meant for OP - the OCDness of it all just got to me.

I'll try to do better (be kind - that's all the advice you need - and I should have taken it)

by Anonymousreply 122November 30, 2022 7:17 AM

What the fuck is up with everyone wanting to have all white everything? Why is color the enemy?

by Anonymousreply 123November 30, 2022 7:21 AM

R78 also has a 1980's Patrick Nagel poster in the dinning room to match.

by Anonymousreply 124November 30, 2022 7:24 AM

OP, when was the last time you got fucked?

by Anonymousreply 125November 30, 2022 7:27 AM

I will agree about white dishes.

by Anonymousreply 126November 30, 2022 7:28 AM

[quote]What the fuck is up with everyone wanting to have all white everything? Why is color the enemy?

White plates are like a blank canvas. Your food should be the star, not the plate.

by Anonymousreply 127November 30, 2022 7:32 AM

R127 You are one high maintenance little cocksucker.

by Anonymousreply 128November 30, 2022 7:41 AM

I will not part with my Fiesta Bistro mug - EVER!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129November 30, 2022 7:52 AM

Who is Greg?

by Anonymousreply 130November 30, 2022 8:33 AM

Some who hasn't got laid in decades, R130

by Anonymousreply 131November 30, 2022 10:04 AM

You can clean linens and towels that aren't white in hot water with Borax or Oxi powder and they're perfectly fine. You don't have to limit yourself to only white because you want to bleach everything.

If I ever knew anyone in real life who said "I must prepare my bedroom in advance" I would absolutely, without question, kick them all the way out of my life and without a second of regret. This goes double for someone who goes into a bedroom and turns on the electric blanket and lights and air conditioner before dinner, several hours before they're actually going to go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 132November 30, 2022 10:18 AM

What's with all the white, OP? Do you live in an institution?

by Anonymousreply 133November 30, 2022 10:47 AM

I live alone, the only other living being that sees my sheets is my cat. I have lavender colored sheets because purple is my favorite color and they make me feel good. White everything sounds like a hospital or an institution like r133 said but I guess whatever floats your boat.

by Anonymousreply 134November 30, 2022 10:52 AM

I will elevate and upgrade my life by cancelling my Datalounge subscription.

by Anonymousreply 135November 30, 2022 11:27 AM

OP = Vera Donovan.

by Anonymousreply 136November 30, 2022 11:33 AM

[quote] Greg, I like you and the recipes you share but you have been called out for being a troll. Are you really the OP of this thread?

Thank you, R81. I've been called out for being a troll a great many times. I simply forgot to sign my original post. Perhaps I don't know what a true troll is or what a troll does, but I don't think I qualify.

Glad you like my recipes!

by Anonymousreply 137November 30, 2022 2:14 PM

[quote] When you die OP, I don’t want any of your stuff.

That's a relief, R83. I can't say I was planning to leave you anything.

by Anonymousreply 138November 30, 2022 2:16 PM

[quote] I like you OP. All my towels and washcloths are white. My counters have nothing on them. I do prepare my bedroom before going to bed also. The other stuff you wrote, not so much.

Thanks, R84!

by Anonymousreply 139November 30, 2022 2:19 PM

[quote] I so agree with everything OP says.

You, R85, are obviously a person of discerning taste.

by Anonymousreply 140November 30, 2022 2:23 PM

[quote] I don't use white linens because my dirty black pooch will leave an impression of little black furs. Colors cover a multitude of sins.

I prefer for my sins to be exposed so that they can be washed clean. But I understand why you might not want white linens with a black pooch.

by Anonymousreply 141November 30, 2022 2:28 PM

I can see how some members of a generation that came of age in the face of the AIDS plague might be obsessed with signs of cleanliness and health, creating homes that in many ways resembled sanitariums or hospitals. Probably not a conscious decision on their part, but definitely a factor.

by Anonymousreply 142November 30, 2022 2:31 PM

[quote] Color is irrelevant. High thread count cotton sheets. They last for years and always feel amazing.

Honestly, R76, a high thread count is pretty irrelevant. Thread count is basically a scam. See the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143November 30, 2022 2:32 PM

I’ve always warned DL the evils of the troll that is a Greg. Did anyone ignoredar the OP to see if it’s Greg? I’m not surprised if he has a bunch of sock puppet accounts.

by Anonymousreply 144November 30, 2022 2:33 PM

[quote] I can see how some members of a generation that came of age in the face of the AIDS plague might be obsessed with signs of cleanliness and health, creating homes that in many ways resembled sanitariums or hospitals. Probably not a conscious decision on their part, but definitely a factor.

I don't think this is why I like white sheets. I like them for the same reasons fine hotels always use white linens (do you really think that luxury hotels use white linens because it looks like a hospital?)—because white is restful; one can tell that they're clean; and one can add accent colors. My goal is not to created a home that resembles a sanitarium or hospital.

by Anonymousreply 145November 30, 2022 2:38 PM

Why don't you.... Turn your child into an Infanta for a fancy-dress party?

Why don't you... Wash your blond child's hair in dead champagne, as they do in France?

by Anonymousreply 146November 30, 2022 3:40 PM

My favorite of Greg's/OPO's comments on this thread:

[quote] yes, I have been living this way for most of my adult life. You are basically confessing that you live like an animal. You do, don't you? You do live like an animal. And not a nice animal either.

The true side of Greg comes out... and for all his previous pretense at helpfulness, it turns out he is really a bitchy control freak.

by Anonymousreply 147November 30, 2022 3:44 PM

I do think we’re dealing with yet another troll here, but it’s too sophisticated for SeaCow.

by Anonymousreply 148November 30, 2022 4:17 PM

r148 Had you thought Greg was an Edwiina persona, Dutchie?

by Anonymousreply 149November 30, 2022 4:42 PM

Nah, SeaCow isn’t that literate. Even though OP/Greg/Troll writes like a pedantic, frigid housewife from the 1950s, it’s far too clever for 🌊 🐄

R149

by Anonymousreply 150November 30, 2022 4:44 PM

I assumed dataloungers were being their nasty,bitchy selves prematurely dismissing Greg as a troll.

Now, I am uncertain. This thread is very troll like!

by Anonymousreply 151November 30, 2022 4:46 PM

Class is a relic of yesterday, now, on DL.

Years ago we would have had many contributions to the list, but now it's just sniping and complaining. No ideas. Sad.

One contribution I can add is to plant perennials every year to build a beautiful garden that will last for years.

by Anonymousreply 152November 30, 2022 5:56 PM

[quote] I’ve always warned DL the evils of the troll that is a Greg. Did anyone ignoredar the OP to see if it’s Greg? I’m not surprised if he has a bunch of sock puppet accounts.

Thank you, R144. I suspect very few people have heeded your paranoid warnings about the evils I perpetrate.

I confess to you, R144, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I simply forgot to sign my original post.

Do I have "a bunch of sock puppet accounts?" I hope you think that I do. Why don't you get right on that and then update us on what you discover.

by Anonymousreply 153November 30, 2022 6:12 PM

r153 bravo Greg

by Anonymousreply 154November 30, 2022 6:17 PM

[quote] Years ago we would have had many contributions to the list, but now it's just sniping and complaining. No ideas. Sad. One contribution I can add is to plant perennials every year to build a beautiful garden that will last for years.

R152, I agree. Lots of unhappy people out here. I love your idea about planting perennials every year. In seven years time, one can have a very nice perennial garden.

by Anonymousreply 155November 30, 2022 6:19 PM

r132 you must be very lonely if you are that shallow........

by Anonymousreply 156November 30, 2022 6:19 PM

[quote] I assumed dataloungers were being their nasty, bitchy selves prematurely dismissing Greg as a troll. Now, I am uncertain. This thread is very troll like!

I guess I don't know what makes a thread "very troll like."

If I were you, R151, I would trust my first instinct.

by Anonymousreply 157November 30, 2022 6:22 PM

Boys!!!! Boys!!!! Such hostility over one persons suggestions ?????? This is displacement …..

Get some therapy and figure out what really is bothering you. It ain’t the color white

by Anonymousreply 158November 30, 2022 6:22 PM

[quote] My goal is not to created a home that resembles a sanitarium or hospital.

And yet from your description, you have very much succeeded.

by Anonymousreply 159November 30, 2022 6:25 PM

I'll elevate and upgrade my life by ignoring persnickety, busybody advice such as that which is being vomited out by OP. How boring your own life must be to concern yourself with how others choose to live their lives.

by Anonymousreply 160November 30, 2022 6:36 PM

R152, you wants uggestions? I'm made of suggestions!!!

Leave a chocolate mint on your pillow to give yourself the experience of staying in a luxury hotel.

An hour before dinner check your bedroom to make sure it’s still there.

Wear a sexy French maid’s outfit at home. When you glimpse yourself in the mirror, you’ll feel as if you have staff.

Dress up in a green tutu and fairy wings and break into other people’s houses to leave mints on their pillows. Call yourself The Magical Mint Bitch.

Train your hamster to jump through triple flaming hoops. Always a conversation starter.

Stuff your throw pillows with grapefruit pulp. Refreshing!

Your goal in life is to really care about glassware. Devote at least two hours a day to thinking about tumblers. See if you can turn them to gold through the power of your mind alone.

Nail a chrome-plated toilet seat to your car radiator and pretend you own an Edsel.

Name everything in your fridge. Melvin Milk, Betty Butter and Fucking Hell What is That Demonic Stench the Rancid Cabbage will all brighten your day.

Draw the faces of people you don’t like on soft boiled eggs and then open them with a hammer. You may use images of celebrities from magazines (if they let you use scissors and glue).

Re-grout your shower weekly.

A large hole in the back yard is an excellent place to store 30 or 40 hamsters that have caught fire somehow.

I never met a carrot I didn’t like. UNTIL THIS ONE!

by Anonymousreply 161November 30, 2022 7:01 PM

Greg has great comebacks and all that, but he knows what he's doing.

by Anonymousreply 162November 30, 2022 7:05 PM

"Buy towels you can bleach" and "avoid clutter" are not the groundbreaking ideas Greg appears to think they are, R162. And his comebacks lack panache.

The last thing I would advise anyone to do is buy a collection of houseplants simply to prove that you can take care of something.

by Anonymousreply 163November 30, 2022 7:08 PM

I love you r161.

by Anonymousreply 164November 30, 2022 7:08 PM

Greg, will you post a picture of your Christmas tree? I would like to see some DL Christmas trees this year.

by Anonymousreply 165November 30, 2022 7:36 PM

You can just spray your sink a couple times with Clorox Clean-up before going to bed. When you wake up the next day the sink will look pretty damn good, no skin contact or scrubbing necessary.

by Anonymousreply 166November 30, 2022 7:41 PM

Op fuck right off.

That just upgraded my day.

by Anonymousreply 167November 30, 2022 7:45 PM

Dress up in a hoop skirt and ballgown

Make yourself a mint julep

Play some of Meemaw's Andrews Sisters records on the victrola

Nap on the fainting couch

Hire a well-hung Negro gentleman to clean your house naked

Spray a bit of Mitsouko on your pulse points for when your gentleman caller arrives

by Anonymousreply 168November 30, 2022 9:55 PM

I traded in my colored man for a white one and my life is much better now.

by Anonymousreply 169November 30, 2022 10:52 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 170December 1, 2022 12:32 AM

Greg is all right by me.

by Anonymousreply 171December 1, 2022 1:01 AM

Is that all there is? Done the Martha Stewart, white is right thing thirty years ago. I think I'll try to elevate/ugrade my life with CBD gummies. Are those any good? I would have to sneak them by my guy. He'd say it's a slippery slope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172December 1, 2022 1:03 AM

Buy a small luxury accessory. Wallet, card case, scarf, etc. I like Burberry.

by Anonymousreply 173December 1, 2022 1:06 AM

Isn't Burberry "chav" now?

by Anonymousreply 174December 1, 2022 1:08 AM

I appreciate what the OP has suggested (Greg) but not all the ideas would fit in with my likings (such as going the 'all white' route). Personally, for colors in my room, I like what I read years ago and it hasn't failed me yet.

If you have a beautiful view from a window, pick your favorite 'natural color' (such as a rose in bloom, tulips, tree leaves, the ocean, etc.) and go with that one color as the dominant color in your room. The other colors you like outside can be the complimentary / accent colors in the room.

If you don't have such a view (maybe you overlook other buildings, a parking lot, etc.) then choose a painting or picture you like and hang it up. Go with a color in the painting you can use throughout the room. Again, the other colors you like in the painting can be accent colors.

by Anonymousreply 175December 1, 2022 1:34 AM

Nate Berkus forgot to sign her post at R175.

by Anonymousreply 176December 1, 2022 1:58 AM

❤️ R161. Top quality.

by Anonymousreply 177December 1, 2022 2:55 AM

Going to get myself classy, put on my finest suit that pappy helped me pick out all those years ago. And then I'm heading down to the Chick-fil-A, strutting in like a million bucks. And you know what I'm going to ask them? I'm going to ask them to please adjust the rheostat. And when they look at me all bewildered, I'll say, you fools, you don't know what a rheostat is? And they'll look at me, and my suit, my finest suit that pappy helped me pick out all those years ago, and one of them will go, "My pleasure." And while they are heading back to go look for one, I'm going to order a spicy chicken deluxe with extra pickles and Polynesian sauce. And when they ask me for my name, I'm going to tell them it's Greg.

by Anonymousreply 178December 1, 2022 5:58 AM

R178 is butthurt and lashing out because he'd never heard of a rheostat.

by Anonymousreply 179December 1, 2022 6:56 AM

Greg are you secretly Fly Lady?

by Anonymousreply 180December 1, 2022 7:04 AM

What the [bold]hell[/bold] is a rheostat? The word makes me think of the steam train era for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 181December 1, 2022 8:23 AM

God, this sounds an awful lot like my first love, who I am pretty sure is a serial killer.

When you step out of the shower, have a freshly clean white towel laid out to step on. Immediately dry off and put on a pair of freshly clean white socks, then immediately step into a pair of clean WHITE fucking slippers. Treat your feet like they are basically the Holy Grail, to satisfy my deranged obsession to suck them, while I fuck the floor.

Thank God I never looked back on that one.

by Anonymousreply 182December 1, 2022 8:35 AM

R181 I also scratched my head on that one, and googling images brought nowt, but this phrase sheds some light on what it is:

[quote] An example of rheostats working as a variable resistor is in dimmers.

by Anonymousreply 183December 1, 2022 8:35 AM

Greg is the worst kind of Russian troll farm Boris. He tries to act like “one of us” with these “enriching posts”. He’s also the one that is spewing right wing propaganda elsewhere with unsigned posts. Be warned about this Boris. He’s just trying to post these to not get red tagged.

by Anonymousreply 184December 1, 2022 12:10 PM

[quote] Nah, SeaCow isn’t that literate. Even though OP/Greg/Troll writes like a pedantic, frigid housewife from the 1950s, it’s far too clever for 🌊 🐄

Thank you, Dutchie.

As long as my writing is clever, I don't mind being thought of as a pedantic, frigid, 1950s housewife.

by Anonymousreply 185December 1, 2022 1:16 PM

[quote] Greg is the worst kind of Russian troll farm Boris. He tries to act like “one of us” with these “enriching posts”. He’s also the one that is spewing right wing propaganda elsewhere with unsigned posts. Be warned about this Boris. He’s just trying to post these to not get red tagged.

R184, your imagination is impressive. Some facts for you and your ilk:

1. I don't know what a 'Russian troll farm Boris' is. Please explain. And I really the worst of its kind?

2. I don't try to act like "one of you" with my "enriching posts." This is so funny that I almost want to be nice to you. [bold] Almost. [/bold] I have been on DL since the summer of 1995 because I find it entertaining. That said, I cannot imagine having such low aspirations that I would want to act like "one of you." This is not directed at the many kind and friendly DL posters. But it is squarely directed at the low level, underachieving, catty, and ill-mannered posters like you.

3. I don't spew right wing propaganda—ever. I am a liberal Democrat and you saying that I spew right wing anything is completely laughable. I challenge you to come back to us with even one post from me that anyone would consider right wing propaganda. You are a conspiracist, and a pathetic one at that. Do something big with your theories. Reach high and make your mark, you silly thing. Only a real loser would try to sell conspiracy theories on DL.

4. I always try to be kind to people who live with mental illness. But one piece of advice: shut your mouth. Do you embarrass yourself in real life, too? Or do you confine your crazy ideas to DL?

by Anonymousreply 186December 1, 2022 1:46 PM

Get rid of all your black friends and only associate with white people - that way you know when they are dirty!

by Anonymousreply 187December 1, 2022 1:55 PM

[quote] Get rid of all your black friends and only associate with white people - that way you know when they are dirty!

Wow. What a clever racist you are.

by Anonymousreply 188December 1, 2022 1:57 PM

I loved your recipe for toast sandwiches, Greg!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189December 1, 2022 2:00 PM

[quote] I loved your recipe for toast sandwiches, Greg!

Thanks, R189! Who says I don't have a good sense of humor?

And, who doesn't love a good toast sandwich?

by Anonymousreply 190December 1, 2022 2:04 PM

[quote] When you step out of the shower, have a freshly clean white towel laid out to step on.

I always do! And the towels I will use to dry myself with are kept in a towel warmer in my bathroom. I can't tell you all how nice it feels to get out of the shower during the cold months and to dry with a very warm towel. I highly recommend a towel warmer as a Christmas present for oneself or for someone you love.

by Anonymousreply 191December 1, 2022 2:08 PM

If you want to upgrade and elevate your life there is one simple thing to do:

Install a bidet if you don't have one already. If you do have one, upgrade to a better model to powerwash your undercarriage and wax it, too.

by Anonymousreply 192December 1, 2022 2:26 PM

[quote] Greg are you secretly Fly Lady?

There's nothing secretive about it, R180.

by Anonymousreply 193December 1, 2022 2:48 PM

R178, nice creative writing.

by Anonymousreply 194December 1, 2022 2:49 PM

[quote] Greg is all right by me.

Thank you, R171!

by Anonymousreply 195December 1, 2022 2:50 PM

[quote] Op fuck right off. That just upgraded my day.

Glad to help, R167!

by Anonymousreply 196December 1, 2022 2:51 PM

[quote] "Buy towels you can bleach" and "avoid clutter" are not the groundbreaking ideas Greg appears to think they are, [R162]. And his comebacks lack panache. The last thing I would advise anyone to do is buy a collection of houseplants simply to prove that you can take care of something.

What a bore you are, R163. You don't even get what R162 was trying to say.

You have proven yourself to be rather simple, so take this slowly. I do not think that purchasing towels one can bleach and avoiding clutter are groundbreaking ideas. They are anything but groundbreaking. However, it's often the simple solutions that escape so many people—especially simple people like yourself.

If you bothered to look up the word 'panache' you would see that my responses (or 'comebacks' as you say) epitomize the very meaning of the word.

[quote] The last thing I would advise anyone to do is buy a collection of houseplants simply to prove that you can take care of something.

Is this really the last thing you would advise anyone to do? The very last thing? I suggested purchasing "some house plants" — not necessarily "a collection of houseplants." And I said, "If nothing else, this shows the world that you are able to care for something." This is different than saying that one should buy houseplants simply to prove something.

Do you try to appear so intellectually challenged, R163? Please do us a favor, and keep your thoughts to yourself. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 197December 1, 2022 3:09 PM

[quote] You can just spray your sink a couple times with Clorox Clean-up before going to bed. When you wake up the next day the sink will look pretty damn good, no skin contact or scrubbing necessary.

Thanks, R166. If I'm ever feeling sick or just lazy, I will give your suggestion a try.

Otherwise, I think I can muster up the strength to spend one minute scrubbing the kitchen sink with Comet or Ajax. I love waking up to a scrupulously clean kitchen sink.

by Anonymousreply 198December 1, 2022 3:18 PM

I've come to consider the possibility that response-baiting posts like this are added by the mysterious nameless Proprietors of this site merely to increase traffic.

by Anonymousreply 199December 1, 2022 3:22 PM

[quote] My goal is not to created a home that resembles a sanitarium or hospital.

[quote] And yet from your description, you have very much succeeded.

Then I misrepresented my house aesthetic. No one would ever say that my home resembles a sanitarium or hospital. Far from it. You should drop by.

by Anonymousreply 200December 1, 2022 3:26 PM

White is good.

by Anonymousreply 201December 1, 2022 3:29 PM

[quote] I've come to consider the possibility that response-baiting posts like this are added by the mysterious nameless Proprietors of this site merely to increase traffic.

Keep it up, R199, and you'll be canceled from DL. I mean it.

All posts are looking for responses. Smarten up, R199.

by Anonymousreply 202December 1, 2022 3:31 PM

[quote] Greg, will you post a picture of your Christmas tree? I would like to see some DL Christmas trees this year.

R165, I would love to do this! How does one post pictures on DL? And which of my trees do you wish to see?

by Anonymousreply 203December 1, 2022 3:33 PM

Greg lives in Boston, home of all prisspots.

by Anonymousreply 204December 1, 2022 3:49 PM

White is just...better.

by Anonymousreply 205December 1, 2022 3:51 PM

"Matching glassware should be the goal."

Why?

"And why not have a set of all-white dishes?"

Because I don't want them.

"Appliances should be put away and should not live on the counter."

I'll leave them wherever I like, thanks. I'm not lugging the toaster, the blender and the coffeepot out every time I want breakfast.

"Purchase some house plants and take care of them."

I am not installing some muddy triffid in my house.

by Anonymousreply 206December 1, 2022 3:59 PM

[quote] 'll elevate and upgrade my life by ignoring persnickety, busybody advice such as that which is being vomited out by OP. How boring your own life must be to concern yourself with how others choose to live their lives.

R160, you make me sleepy.

by Anonymousreply 207December 1, 2022 4:20 PM

So is OP really Greg or not?

by Anonymousreply 208December 1, 2022 4:22 PM

Sorry to get the thread back on track, but I appreciate Greg's focus on white furnishings. What I like about using white is that it makes everything feel larger, more open and fresh. When I took advantage of a business opportunity in SoCal 10 years ago, I realized I was going to be spending about a week a month there so decided to buy a condo rather than stay in hotels. The unit I bought was a one bedroom with a large open concept (oh, the horror!) kitchen/living/dining room, two bathrooms and nice floorplan, but the previous owner had painted it a hideous bluish-purple that made the high ceilings seem low, reflected none of the beautiful natural light that flooded the space, and looked dirty all the time.

When I was done, even hubby (who has no eye for such things) remarked that it was like a completely different unit and was happy with it. We met some neighbors and became friendly with them, and when they came over for the first time they asked if we'd added on to the unit or added windows as the place — the exact same as theirs — "seemed bigger". The only architectural changes/additions I'd made were to replace the solid french front and bedroom doors with doors with windows. Off-white walls, light-colored furnishings and window coverings took advantage of the space's already large format and natural light. The new friends started a redecorating project a few months later, even asking me what paint I'd used and a reference for the workmen I'd hired.

by Anonymousreply 209December 1, 2022 4:35 PM

Greg, have you ever had the dried orange slices from Trader Joe's? I'm hooked on them. All I want is marijuana and Trader Joe's orange slices.

by Anonymousreply 210December 2, 2022 12:24 AM

Greg, have you ever been inside a Turkish prison?

by Anonymousreply 211December 2, 2022 12:37 AM

Greg, do you know how to solve a quadratic equation?

by Anonymousreply 212December 2, 2022 12:38 AM

Greg, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

by Anonymousreply 213December 2, 2022 12:40 AM

A bag of cranberries, sugar and grate some orange rind into it while it boils. Fancy and elegant... let it cool and smear it all over your naked body - life elevated.

by Anonymousreply 214December 2, 2022 12:51 AM

To elevate and upgrade your life, simply DELETE TWITTER.

by Anonymousreply 215December 2, 2022 1:02 AM

White rugs too?

by Anonymousreply 216December 2, 2022 1:34 AM

White toilet paper so you can tell when it's been soiled.

by Anonymousreply 217December 2, 2022 2:15 AM

We are truly, truly not amused . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 218December 2, 2022 2:55 AM

Black light app, so you can find your stains among your whites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 219December 2, 2022 3:33 AM

Black lights are great for finding dog pee. Thanks, R219. I'm going to download that app and get to elevating right now.

by Anonymousreply 220December 2, 2022 4:40 AM

Can you imagine?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221December 2, 2022 4:43 AM

OK, here's another way to elevate and upgrade.

Many people have inherited beautiful, elegant plates, glasses and silverware from their mothers or grandmothers. Go ahead and use them. It's what they're for, and they look great on your table.

They can't go in the dishwasher, so if you don't want to wash them every night, then use them only once a week. The worst that can happen is that you break one, and since you weren't using them anyway, what difference does it make? If nothing else, at least use the silver, if you like the pattern.

by Anonymousreply 222December 2, 2022 8:32 AM

While Greg may not be concerned with thrift (or maybe he is - I have no idea), in fact having all-white sheets and towels is very thrifty because you can replace individual items rather than the whole set.

The same applies to plain, open-stock glassware and white plates and bowls.

You can add color - I doubt if Greg will approve of this, although hope springs eternal - by using a stylishly colorful or patterned shower curtain in the bathroom and comforter or duvet cover on the bed. If you are willing to do a lot of extra work - which appears to be the theme of this thread - you can instead go with a bedspread in a color or pattern you like. Bedspreads look wonderful, but they add a lot of time to making the bed.

I have a white candlewick bedspread that belonged to my mother. I keep wanting to put it on the bed, but getting the damn thing in place, properly tucked in around the pillows, is just so much work.

by Anonymousreply 223December 2, 2022 8:45 AM

[quote]R208: So is OP really Greg or not?

Yes, it's Greg.

by Anonymousreply 224December 2, 2022 2:09 PM

I disagree about white, especially for bed linens. It’s so sterile like a hospital. How much nicer to get into a field of color or pattern.

by Anonymousreply 225December 2, 2022 2:41 PM

Keep your laws off my Laura Ashley, bitches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226December 2, 2022 2:52 PM

That's a great story, R209. I understand that not everyone likes white and the walls of my homes are not painted white. But there is something open, fresh, and airy about white that I appreciate. And I just love the look of a carefully made bed with white linens and a bathroom with white towels. It also allows other colors to pop.

by Anonymousreply 227December 2, 2022 4:31 PM

[quote] While Greg may not be concerned with thrift (or maybe he is - I have no idea), in fact having all-white sheets and towels is very thrifty because you can replace individual items rather than the whole set. The same applies to plain, open-stock glassware and white plates and bowls.

Thanks, R223. Yes, one of the reasons I like all white linens for bedroom and kitchen is that it reduces fussiness. Like you, I love being able to just replace pillow cases or sheets without concern about needing to replace entire sets. With white it doesn't matter. I have a stack of white pillow cases and they can be used in the middle of the week without needing to replace all of the sheets on the bed. Same with white dishes and with open-stock glassware. It just simplifies life a bit.

by Anonymousreply 228December 2, 2022 4:37 PM

People who have all-white homes are boring, lifeless, sterile souls with no creativity, imagination, or fun in them. I miss the old days when people had powder blue bathtubs and toilets. That color may be outdated by today’s standards, but dammit it was lively and fun.

You pisspots today are like “I can’t add any color to my home, it might lower the value and then the next Karen marching through here won’t want to buy it.”

by Anonymousreply 229December 2, 2022 4:47 PM

[quote] Many people have inherited beautiful, elegant plates, glasses and silverware from their mothers or grandmothers. Go ahead and use them. It's what they're for, and they look great on your table. They can't go in the dishwasher, so if you don't want to wash them every night, then use them only once a week. The worst that can happen is that you break one, and since you weren't using them anyway, what difference does it make? If nothing else, at least use the silver, if you like the pattern.

I agree with you, R222. And some of these items can go in a dishwasher on a gentle cycle. The reason why it's so easy to find beautiful vintage damask napkins on places like eBay is because often people would receive nice things as a wedding gift and because they are so special, would put them away and never use them. The people then die and their children find these things and then sell them. It's a shame really. So, use your stuff! Why have nice things if you never use them? At some point you will die and these nice things that you've kept hidden away will just be passed on to someone in your family or will be sold or disposed of.

When I was doing a lot of catering, some of the nicest homes would use their china and silver on a regular basis. Some would even put them in the dishwasher. I remember one client who lived in what is considered the nicest and most monied address in Boston (Louisburg Square) and I asked her about how she would like her dishes and silver washed after dinner and she said to just put them in the dishwasher. "They're just things and they're going to outlive us."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230December 2, 2022 4:52 PM

Another interesting article for those who are interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231December 2, 2022 4:53 PM

[quote] Op fuck right off. That just upgraded my day.

Glad to have been a help!

by Anonymousreply 232December 2, 2022 5:01 PM

[quote] White rugs too?

No, never. I am not a fan of the everything is white look. I just like to simplify things.

I have friends who live in a grand house and everything in their sitting room (this room was built as a ballroom wing to host the owner's daughter's debut in December of 1912) is white and symmetrical. Matching white sofas flanking the fireplace; white sofa tables; white lamps; all the books are covered in white; white irises in large white bowls; etc. It is striking looking and beautiful....but it's also a bit sterile and looks a bit like a high end hotel lobby. It's a beautiful house....huge and looks sort of like an embassy. First block of Commonwealth Ave., very close to the Public Garden. It was built in 1861 as the home of cotton manufacturer and merchant Abbott Lawrence and his wife Harriette Story White (Paige) Lawrence.

A November 11, 1973, Boston Globe article about 5 Commonwealth indicates that the ballroom was completed In time for the second owner's daughter's debut in December of 1912. An interview in the Boston Courant indicated that the “grand ballroom was completed in 1912 for the debutante ball” for Charlotte Baylies.

In the attached photo, you can just see the ballroom annexed off the lower left of the house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233December 2, 2022 5:28 PM

Here's an interesting article about that house for those interested in architecture and history.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234December 2, 2022 5:29 PM

It is fascinating how angry Greg makes many of the other Eldergays. As if his suggestions were somehow an affront to their very existence on the planet.

It's a curious reaction--to become angry rather than amused by Greg's fairly mainstream (I'd call them "Coastal Grandma Adjacent") decorating and cooking tips.

by Anonymousreply 235December 2, 2022 5:37 PM

^^Because this is Datalounge after all, a description of the "Coastal Grandmother" aesthetic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236December 2, 2022 5:38 PM

This may be a better link as it focuses on Coastal Grandmother home decor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237December 2, 2022 5:40 PM

I want to live in a white dream state.

by Anonymousreply 238December 2, 2022 5:43 PM

Very interesting, R236/R237. I'm not sure I'd call my aesthetic "Coastal Grandma Adjacent." I really don't have any all white houses/condos. I have color on my walls and I have a lot of antiques. No white furniture. I was simply advocating for the clean simplicity that comes with white bed, kitchen, and bath linens as well as white everyday dinnerware. That's all. I think my overall look is a bit more formal than Coastal Grandma.

by Anonymousreply 239December 2, 2022 5:52 PM

[quote] It is fascinating how angry Greg makes many of the other Eldergays. As if his suggestions were somehow an affront to their very existence on the planet.

But I agree that my tips, suggestions, and recipes really rankle some people out here. Why are some people so quick to anger and insult others? I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 240December 2, 2022 5:55 PM

[quote] Put the DL troll called Greg on ignore.

Let us know, R98, if you need help doing that. If you haven't put me on ignore yet, it's hard to take you seriously.

by Anonymousreply 241December 2, 2022 5:57 PM

R237 I have seen this boring, bland aesthetic for decades now. The writers of the article are trying to present this as some new style... smh

by Anonymousreply 242December 2, 2022 6:03 PM

[quote] Serenity through Order!

Right, Egalandy! Augustine of Hippo writes about "Tranquillitas Ordinis"—"the tranquility of order" or "well-ordered concord"— in Book 19 of "The City of God." The definition of peace, he says, is the tranquility of order.

by Anonymousreply 243December 2, 2022 6:06 PM

I don't think it's all white Greg

As per the article "Start with 50 shades of white, ivory, and cream, all mixed together. Then layer in neutral tones borrowed from nature—stone, sand, sea, and sky. Tan and beige, taupe and greige, and pale, watery blues. Introduce accent colors like deeper blues and shell pink with a very light hand."

That bathroom with the sage green walls sounds a lot like what you were describing.

by Anonymousreply 244December 2, 2022 6:59 PM

Get rid of all your old relatives who are people of color and replace them with new all-white ones!

by Anonymousreply 245December 2, 2022 7:20 PM

[quote] Get rid of all your old relatives who are people of color and replace them with new all-white ones!

Brilliant, R245. You must feel good about yourself, sharing racist comments on here. What a pathetic person you must be.

by Anonymousreply 246December 2, 2022 7:33 PM

[quote] White sheets look good. You also know when they are soiled. You can wash them in hot water with a little bleach.

If that's your game plan, just make sure you buy white sheets that actually can be bleached. Some of them specifically say, "Do Not Bleach." I have two sets of Portuguese Cotton sheets that are like that. I've also accidentally bleached another set of white sheets, and they turned a very pale bisque color because the bleach interacted with the iron in the water and the sheets absorbed the color. You have to use a non-bleach whitener for certain white linens.

by Anonymousreply 247December 2, 2022 7:46 PM

[quote] If that's your game plan, just make sure you buy white sheets that actually can be bleached. Some of them specifically say, "Do Not Bleach." I have two sets of Portuguese Cotton sheets that are like that. I've also accidentally bleached another set of white sheets, and they turned a very pale bisque color because the bleach interacted with the iron in the water and the sheets absorbed the color. You have to use a non-bleach whitener for certain white linens.

That's right, R247. I don't use a lot of bleach, nor do I use bleach every time I wash my sheets and towels. Chlorine bleach is very harsh on fabric and it can also interact with and discolor certain white fabrics. But I do like to be able to now and then add a splash of bleach to the washing water—especially if someone has been sick. And I also like to add a splash of bleach to my kitchen linens since they will have been around uncooked ingredients and meat. I hardly ever use bleach with my bathroom towels. It just isn't necessary.

by Anonymousreply 248December 2, 2022 7:56 PM

[quote]Why are some people so quick to anger and insult others? I don't know. --Greg

Not gifted with self-awareness, then.

by Anonymousreply 249December 2, 2022 8:23 PM

[quote] Not gifted with self-awareness, then.

Oh, R249, you hurt my feelings! Hahahahahaha....

Truly, I have been blessed with an abundance of self-awareness. But I still do not know why some people out here are so easily triggered. And why are there so many angry people out here? Why so many deplorables, R249? Tell us! I think you know.

by Anonymousreply 250December 2, 2022 9:04 PM

White interiors do not drive a person mad. Don't be bonkers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 251December 2, 2022 9:27 PM

[quote]Why are some people so quick to anger and insult others? I don't know. --Greg

Yeah, like the queen who shrieked how "EVERYTHING looks like shit on turquoise Fiestaware."

by Anonymousreply 252December 2, 2022 10:18 PM

Greg, what's your Christmas tree look like?

by Anonymousreply 253December 2, 2022 11:21 PM

[quote] Yeah, like the queen who shrieked how "EVERYTHING looks like shit on turquoise Fiestaware."

Yes, like that, R252.

The person who said that everything looks like shit on turquoise Fiestaware may be right, but the comment was insensitive.

by Anonymousreply 254December 2, 2022 11:32 PM

"Nail a chrome-plated toilet seat to your car radiator and pretend you own an Edsel."

by Anonymousreply 255December 2, 2022 11:42 PM

[quote] Greg, what's your Christmas tree look like?

Hi, R253. My Christmas tree is old fashioned looking—in terms of the tree not looking like a perfect Christmas tree (recall trees back in the 50s and 60s). I like trees that are not too dense so that I can hang larger/longer ornaments. I also decorate the interior of the tree, so that the ornaments inside reflect light and give the tree depth. I have lots and lots of tiny white lights though I also like trees with colored lights. On the top of the tree I have a gilded pineapple. I also love to use different sized glass and crystal icicles—they look great on the tree. My ornaments are all different. Some years I try to decorate the tree entirely in gold—and not necessarily shiny gold. I have a good many ornaments that are a matte gold color. I love having my tree heavily decorated with lots of lights.

I have another tree on my sun porch that is entirely woodland decorations....birds nests (real ones that I find and spray paint gold), pinecones, lots of small birds and owls, etc.

I have always wanted to have another tree that has the old fashioned colored big lights. Lights like everyone had in the 50s. I got the idea from visiting a Newport mansion once. They had a tree in the front hall that had those large old lights on the tree and it looked really nice. If I ever do get another tree to do that, I will probably put it in the dining room and I wouldn't put any ornaments on the tree—just the large lights.

How about you?

by Anonymousreply 256December 2, 2022 11:45 PM

Greg-- you know the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words"?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257December 3, 2022 12:01 AM

Upgrade your life....by listening to "Upgrade U" by Beyonce in a continuous loop

by Anonymousreply 258December 3, 2022 12:44 AM

Well, Greg, what are your thoughts on your British equivalent, the fabulous Ms. Nicolas Fairford?

by Anonymousreply 259December 3, 2022 10:09 AM

[quote]–Install rheostats on all your lights.

I like this one! I even had a dimmer switch on my front porch light at my last house and it was a great feature. Normally kept it pretty dim unless I was expecting visitors or someone showed up at the door.

Nice in the bathroom and bedroom too, so if you have to get up in the middle of the night the bright light doesn't wake you up.

by Anonymousreply 260December 3, 2022 11:20 AM

Winning a World Cup final would be an upgrade like...;)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261December 4, 2022 11:58 PM

Assuming only white jocks are acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 262December 5, 2022 12:09 AM

[quote] Assuming only white jocks are acceptable.

I don't really care.

by Anonymousreply 263December 5, 2022 7:51 PM

[quote]R223 You can add color - I doubt if Greg will approve of this, although hope springs eternal - by using a stylishly colorful or patterned shower curtain in the bathroom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264December 5, 2022 8:00 PM

[quote]R228 I like all white linens for bedroom and kitchen as it reduces fussiness. I love being able to just replace pillow cases or sheets without concern about needing to replace entire sets. With white it doesn't matter.

WELL! I am quite, QUITE tacked aback that there is seemingly no understanding that there are 101 shades of white!

This is inexcusable within a design thread. And I want to speak to a manager.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265December 5, 2022 8:20 PM

In another earlier incarnation, Greg was one of the housewives who walked into her hostess's home in 1970s commercials for deodorants and said bitchy things like "Fried fish last night?" or "I thought George gave up cigars...."

by Anonymousreply 266December 5, 2022 8:42 PM

Drain the melanin from yourself and your non-white spouse. You will appear cleaner and match your linens and dinner table place settings.

by Anonymousreply 267December 5, 2022 9:29 PM

R251, I was thinking of “Interiors” too, but it’s thé cinematography that washes out and bleaches the little color in the film

by Anonymousreply 268December 5, 2022 11:02 PM

OP lately I have been tentatively thinking about actually dressing with intention and wearing half decent clothes that fit and have some semblance of thoughtful style, rather than just old threadbare hand-me-downs and thrift that's rumpled and looks like frump flyover Salvation Army castoffs. So I've been reading around blogs and videos, asking questions on other forums, picking up magazines etc.

One recurrent bit of advice for people like me--fashion anxious freaks with no money--is to get one to three high-quality basic vintage pieces, like say a coat or a belt or a pair of shoes or a bag, and then just build unique outfits around that using funky cheaper no-label secondhand stuff like jewellery and tees and socks or what have you. Apparently, this is meant to be a hack or a launchpad into starting to build a style profile of your own, plus a way to get used to owning and wearing nice garments & accessories if you're unused to (or afraid of it, like me). So that's sort of to do with upgrading.

by Anonymousreply 269December 6, 2022 12:32 AM

or learn to be happy with what you already have?

by Anonymousreply 270December 6, 2022 12:51 AM

Vintage clothes often feature higher quality materials and construction than can be found now without spending a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 271December 6, 2022 2:12 AM

My sheets are all cream colored. I look better in cream than white.

by Anonymousreply 272December 6, 2022 2:21 AM

I’m not convinced by everything on OP’s list, but he has inspired me to have a clear-out of my linen closet, with the aim of getting rid of a huge amount of older stuff. My towel colours are green and white, but I have a lot of much older stuff which hasn’t really seen the light of day for a number of years. Time for it to go.

I’m off work early in the new year, so I’m going to put a day aside for this task, and to try to have a ruthless cull of my book collection.

by Anonymousreply 273December 6, 2022 2:32 AM

[quote] If you live alone or with one other person, you should own three or four sets of sheets plus additional pillow cases.

WTF does who you live with have anything to do with how many sets of sheets you need?

I have two sets per bed. No reason to have any more than that. I prefer to make the bed with sheets hot out of the dryer so I don’t have to fold them so the second set essentially becomes a spare until the others wear out.

by Anonymousreply 274December 6, 2022 2:48 AM

I hate white sheets and towels.

by Anonymousreply 275December 6, 2022 3:00 AM

I love white sheets. I shouldn’t but I do

by Anonymousreply 276December 6, 2022 5:49 AM

I like white shirts on me, but I find white sheets kind of boring. Unless they’re some antique-y style in a Merchant Ivory type bedroom with touches of timber in it.

I’ll take pastels. And my family’s from Boston.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277December 6, 2022 7:41 AM

[quote] In another earlier incarnation, Greg was one of the housewives who walked into her hostess's home in 1970s commercials for deodorants and said bitchy things like "Fried fish last night?" or "I thought George gave up cigars...."

More like, "[sniff...sniff...while looking up and to the right and squinting] Oh, I see you got another cat."

by Anonymousreply 278December 6, 2022 1:03 PM

[quote] WTF does who you live with have anything to do with how many sets of sheets you need?

Wow. Because not everyone sleeps in the same bed.

Let's try this again:

If I live alone or with a spouse - I need a certain number of sets of sheets.

If there are also children in the house - Guess what? I need more sets of sheets.

If the in-laws live with us - Guess what? I need more sheets.

I could keep going, but you don't seem THAT stupid.

by Anonymousreply 279December 6, 2022 1:09 PM

[quote] I’ll take pastels. And my family’s from Boston.

Where in Boston? Boston Proper?

by Anonymousreply 280December 6, 2022 1:33 PM

Greg I asked you a question

by Anonymousreply 281December 6, 2022 2:41 PM

R275 I would too if I never find them in a 100 mile radius! The store is always out, I don’t get the appeal.

by Anonymousreply 282December 6, 2022 2:57 PM

Well r279, that’s not exactly what you said in the op

[quote] If you live alone or with one other person, you should own three or four sets of sheets plus additional pillow cases.

Stop using DL as your own personal lifestyle blog. No one cares how many sheets you own and even less what color they are.

by Anonymousreply 283December 6, 2022 3:58 PM

Who the hell uses the term "rheostat?"

None of this is universal advice, it's sprung from the mind of someone clearly addled with extreme OCD. Greg is obviously mentally ill.

Here's my advice for a happy life:

Get sheets and towels in the colors you like.

Go to bed with a dirty sink if you want, it doesn't matter in the long run.

Make your home the way you like it, whatever that is.

Be kind to yourself first, then kind to others. Don't run yourself ragged trying to impress other people or live up to their expectations.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Ignore critics. They aren't on your side, the live to judge others.

by Anonymousreply 284December 6, 2022 5:17 PM

[quote]r280 Where in Boston? Boston Proper?

Brookline. St. Mary’s Street stop. And Nahant in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 285December 6, 2022 5:29 PM

R284 You are 100% right.

by Anonymousreply 286December 6, 2022 6:11 PM

Tell people tactfully that “You would be caught dead doing _____…”

by Anonymousreply 287December 6, 2022 6:14 PM

There’s plenty of time for white sheets and towels once you’re shut up in a rest home.

Today is about COLOR!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288December 6, 2022 11:17 PM

[quote]I'll take pastels. And my family’s from Boston.

I would like solid color pastels too if I could still get old-fashioned, true pastel colors. Clear, light blue. Soft pink, light celery green, pale yellow, all without any gray or muddy overtones.

Instead, today, the pastels are all “muted” or grayed, which I mostly find ugly and depressing. Why can’t we get true-blue, pink, green or yellow sheets – not screamingly bright, but clear, true pastels – anymore?

by Anonymousreply 289December 7, 2022 12:05 AM

R289 my harridan grandmother has candy/Easter pastel linens that she's had since the 80s. Refuses to deviate from them though they're horribly out of fashion and clash with everything in her room and her house. We just let her get on with it, it makes her happy and keeps her quiet so whatever.

by Anonymousreply 290December 7, 2022 12:07 AM

R273, what do you plan to do with your unwanted books? I have to do the same thing but don't know where to donate them.

by Anonymousreply 291December 7, 2022 12:12 AM

R290, can I have her stuff when she dies? Or maybe just her sheets, since "Easter pastels" - thank you, excellent description - are exactly what I'm looking for?

by Anonymousreply 292December 7, 2022 12:15 AM

[quote]R289 I would like solid color pastels too if I could still get old-fashioned, true pastel colors. Clear, light blue. Soft pink, light celery green, pale yellow

Agreed. And can someone give me a goddamn SCALLOPED EDGE? Please??

Is that really asking too much??

by Anonymousreply 293December 7, 2022 5:22 AM

Might is right.

And so is white.

by Anonymousreply 294December 7, 2022 3:34 PM

[quote]I had to look up "rheostat." I still don't understand what it is and why I need it.

It's a dimmer. Everyone else on earth calls them dimmers. I had to look it up too.

There's something quite "off" about OP. A bit dim himself.

by Anonymousreply 295December 7, 2022 3:47 PM

[quote] It's a dimmer. Everyone else on earth calls them dimmers. I had to look it up too. There's something quite "off" about OP. A bit dim himself.

I hate to say it, R295, but if you didn't know what a rheostat is, you are the one who is dim. Not everyone else on earth calls them dimmers.

by Anonymousreply 296December 7, 2022 5:11 PM

[quote] [R273], what do you plan to do with your unwanted books? I have to do the same thing but don't know where to donate them.

Anyone in the Boston area can donate used books to a wonderful organization called "More Than Words."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297December 7, 2022 5:14 PM

[quote] Tell people tactfully that “You would be caught dead doing _____…”

Perhaps you meant to say "I [bold] wouldn't [/bold] be caught dead doing ____ ..."

[bold] EXAMPLE: [/bold] "I wouldn't be caught dead with those patterned bed sheets."

by Anonymousreply 298December 7, 2022 5:20 PM

R289, if you are not averse to vintage deadstock bedding you can probably find the colors you want on eBay or Etsy.

by Anonymousreply 299December 7, 2022 6:46 PM

You could also experiment with fading too bright pastels by soaking them in Rit color remover, or adding bleach to the wash. This could work better on all cotton vs. a blend.

by Anonymousreply 300December 8, 2022 6:03 AM

White linens and towels are beautiful, if high quality and well-maintained. However, I live in Italy, the style capital of the world, home of Frette and Pratesi and more, and their windows and showrooms feature ultra-luxurious linens in cream, coffee, sage green, pale grey, Wedgewood blue as well as white. No tacky flowers or Spiderman sets, however.

I agree with getting the clutter off your kitchen counters, apart from things you use every day eg your toaster and kettle.

by Anonymousreply 301December 8, 2022 7:09 AM

My trailer looks fantastic now. Thank you OP!

by Anonymousreply 302December 8, 2022 7:48 AM

OP is probably an annoyingly anal twat but I do agree about white sheets and white-ish towels.

I mainly have white sheets/bedding because it's cooler....I hate being hot at night. And, I have to have bleachable towels...I hate moldy towels.

The rest is all rubbish. People who like their kitchens to look like spartan design showcase rooms are probably Nazis at heart. And, who has the time and the space to be constantly putting away the coffee maker and toaster, stuff you use EVERY day?

I also hate white plates.

But, I will wear white after Labor Day.

by Anonymousreply 303December 8, 2022 8:05 AM

Here's something that can seriously upgrade your life, especially if you are feeling a bit low or drained in winter -

Clean up your kitchen at night; don't leave dirty pots or dishes in the sink, so they are not the first thing you encounter when you start your day.

Make your bed when you get up.

Keep your bathroom tidy, eg, fold the towels before you put them back on the rack, put the top back on the toothpaste, etc.

You'd be surprised how these things,which become habits after awhile will make you feel better.

by Anonymousreply 304December 8, 2022 8:06 AM

I agree, R304. I'm always puzzled to see a pile of dirty glasses and plates in the sink, two feet away from a dishwasher.

by Anonymousreply 305December 8, 2022 10:06 AM

Coloured underwear is vile for the same reason. And patterned underwear insufferable. Ironically, the most expensive underwear is now white!!!! (A sure sigh the proles have moved to colours and patterns.)

by Anonymousreply 306December 8, 2022 10:40 AM

I do so agree about the elevation that goes hand in hand with white linens. The bed lines washed every day, and starched for that extra crispness. Never scrimp and leave the job to one maid's doing; the job of making a good bed absolutely requires two girls at the task.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307December 8, 2022 10:51 AM

Is OP actually Vera Donovan? These read like instructions for Dolores Claiborne opening up the summer house for the season. "Six pins Dolores!"

by Anonymousreply 308December 8, 2022 12:20 PM

[quote] My trailer looks fantastic now. Thank you OP!

That makes me happy, R302!

There's no reason that even those of us in desperate circumstances can't have an uncluttered dwelling. We're proud of you!

by Anonymousreply 309December 8, 2022 1:03 PM

Do you think you're being clever, Greg?

A trailer does not equate desperate circumstances.

No need for the Royal 'we' either.

by Anonymousreply 310December 8, 2022 1:13 PM

[quote] The rest is all rubbish. People who like their kitchens to look like spartan design showcase rooms are probably Nazis at heart. And, who has the time and the space to be constantly putting away the coffee maker and toaster, stuff you use EVERY day?

Rubbish for you. I like my kitchen to be uncluttered so that I have all the room possible for prep work and cooking. And when I'm cleaning up I like to be able to spray down the counters and give them a good scrubbing. If my counters had appliances, mail, magazines, coffee mug trees, etc. on them, I would feel as though the counters were not able to get really clean. I also just love the look of clean, uncluttered counters. Just like I like the outside of my refrigerator to be clean and without magnets and photos.

I keep my coffee maker set up on the pantry counter and I put my toaster, food processor, blender, and Instant Pot on open shelving below the counters.

by Anonymousreply 311December 8, 2022 1:15 PM

[quote] A trailer does not equate desperate circumstances.

Oh. We're sorry, R310. Truly, We thought you were kidding or being sarcastic.

by Anonymousreply 312December 8, 2022 1:18 PM

I’m trying very hard to remain joy-focused.

by Anonymousreply 313December 8, 2022 10:52 PM

"We," Greg? Are you developing a split personality?

Of all the posters on DL you have the least reason to assume to speak for more than yourself.

by Anonymousreply 314December 8, 2022 10:56 PM

Greg is speaking on behalf of all pretentious cunts.

by Anonymousreply 315December 8, 2022 11:24 PM

R314, I am speaking on behalf of all pretentious cunts.

by Anonymousreply 316December 8, 2022 11:39 PM

White, white, white is the color of our carpets!

by Anonymousreply 317December 19, 2022 8:48 PM

[QUOTE]How to elevate and upgrade your life.

Reduce your appetites. Detach from the material plane.

It's all an illusion.

by Anonymousreply 318December 23, 2022 1:00 PM

Has a sports bra been suggested yet? I hate the way a man's moobs just hang with age.

by Anonymousreply 319December 23, 2022 2:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!