Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Will Smith 'completely understands' if people don't want to watch his new movie

Will Smith has shared a message for those who might be feeling a little conflicted about watching his new movie following his 2022 Oscars slap controversy.

"Emancipation" is set to be released in theaters on December 2 and stars Smith as a slave named Peter who flees a plantation in Louisiana after nearly being killed.

Premiering on Apple TV+ a few days later on December 9, the movie is the actor's first on-screen appearance since he was banned from attending the Academy Awards for 10 years after slapping Chris Rock.

In a new interview with FOX 5's "Good Day DC," journalist Kevin McCarthy asked Smith what he "would tell people who say 'I'm not ready' or 'it's too soon'" to watch the actor again.

"I completely understand that if someone is not ready, I would absolutely respect that and allow them their space to not be ready," he said.

Smith added that his "deepest concern" is if his involvement in the film will damage his collaborators' reputations and their chances of being recognized by Oscars voters for their work on the film.

"Antoine has done what I think is the greatest work of his career," he said of the filmmaker Antoine Fuqua, who previously directed "Training Day" (2001), "The Magnificent Seven" (2016), "The Equalizer" (2014), and its sequel, "The Equalizer 2" (2018.)

Smith also namechecked his costars Ben Foster and Charmaine Bingwa, as well as the film's "brilliant" cinematographer Robert Richardson, costume designer Naomi Shohan, and costume designer Francine Jamison-Tanchuck.

"The people on this team have done some of the best work of their entire careers, and my deepest hope is that my actions don't penalize my team," he said.

The actor added that he hoped "the material" and "the timeliness of the story" would be what people focus on, not him.

"I'm hoping that the good that can be done would open people's hearts at a minimum to see and recognize and support the incredible artists in and around this film."

Since the 2022 Oscars in March, Smith has apologized publicly and said that he has reached out to apologize to Rock, but the actor still received backlash from several comedians and fans.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127December 3, 2022 9:58 PM

Asshole.

All of those talented, hard working people. And he fucked it up for them.

Selfish cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1November 29, 2022 5:25 AM

How grand of him!

by Anonymousreply 2November 29, 2022 5:29 AM

Considering the last thing I saw him in was “Men in Black,” it’s safe to say I’ll be skipping this one.

by Anonymousreply 3November 29, 2022 5:37 AM

He should have thought about this when he was walking up on the Oscar stage to assault Chris Rock. Or when he was at an Oscar after party with his son tweeting “And this is how we do it.”

Nope. Nothing for Will Smith from here on out. He’ll have to explain to his collaborators why he consciously chose to screw them over by assaulting one of his colleagues, defiling the Oscars ceremony and turning the public against him.

by Anonymousreply 4November 29, 2022 5:48 AM

One Year a Pariah.

by Anonymousreply 5November 29, 2022 5:50 AM

I guess Smith smells a flop and is looking for excuses to get out ahead of it, right?

by Anonymousreply 6November 29, 2022 6:07 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7November 29, 2022 6:20 AM

Why does he look darker as the runaway slave? Completely different skin tone than the dressed up Will by comparison. I'm actually curious about this, hope it's not an inappropriate question...

by Anonymousreply 8November 29, 2022 7:08 AM

I’m surprised that anyone involved with this project thought it was a good idea to release this, especially Will who seems to be cognizant that he’s in genuine danger of losing his Q rating forever. Everyone, including black people, remembers very clearly what happened with him. We’re not even a year out from the last Oscars. He should have disappeared for at least two years, but of course his ego won’t allow that. Now he’s doing permanent damage to his career by showing that his box office prowess and popularity is over, and that’s ALL that Hollywood cares about. He’ll never get a major release again, and his award days are most certainly over.

by Anonymousreply 9November 29, 2022 12:28 PM

[quote] Now he’s doing permanent damage to his career by showing that his box office prowess and popularity is over, and that’s ALL that Hollywood cares about. He’ll never get a major release again, and his award days are most certainly over.

GOOD!

If we're lucky, we'll never have to look at his goddamned face on another television or movie screen.

EVER again.

by Anonymousreply 10November 29, 2022 1:24 PM

Good cause I don’t.

by Anonymousreply 11November 29, 2022 1:26 PM

Oh, DO shut up.

You have always been boring, tedious, and tiresome.

Kindly, go away.

by Anonymousreply 12November 29, 2022 1:28 PM

Is Will in blackface for that movie?

by Anonymousreply 13November 29, 2022 1:28 PM

[quote]He should have disappeared for at least two years, but of course his ego won’t allow that.

The movie was already well into production, so it was probably the studio and producers who wouldn't allow it.

Most people didn't get nearly as upset about the slap as DLers did. It was so bad on here that we couldn't even make jokes about it; the trolls were absolutely insistent that we all be appalled, frightened, incensed, and permanently and irrevocably angry about what happened, and unfortunately some otherwise normal DLers let themselves get carried away by that.

Outside of DL, people were upset for a couple of weeks, then got tired of it, and now don't much care.

by Anonymousreply 14November 29, 2022 1:31 PM

[quote] Outside of DL, people were upset for a couple of weeks, then got tired of it, and now don't much care.

Yes, R14, assaults on live television: meh, who cares.

Just like on January 6th.

/S

by Anonymousreply 15November 29, 2022 2:11 PM

The black community doesn’t care but then again, it always vigorously defends any black Pierson no matter how loathsome their behavior may have been. The black community seems to tolerate, embrace and make apologies for male violence even more than the white community.

And finally, don’t we all know that filthy rich men can get away with pretty much everything.

I for one won’t watch his stuff anymore. He is just another overentitled man, undereducated and overconfident. Rich spoilt brat who thinks he doesn’t have to play by the rules. He should be thanking his lucky stars every day for his good fortune instead of going around slapping people.

Hollywood is fully of people like him: moderately talented, extremely lucky, very stupid and extremely ungrateful.

by Anonymousreply 16November 29, 2022 3:46 PM

He's talking about it. He has to; he has a movie to promote.

He starts talking about the Oscar slap at 9:41, and basically how he's learned and matured from the incident.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17November 29, 2022 4:06 PM

CBS spoke a bit about the r17 interview.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18November 29, 2022 4:12 PM

As an aspiring, but rather unconventional PR representative, I recommend that Willie resurrect his reputation [bold]by staging another internationally televised slaptastic event, preferably at the World Cup in front of billions of people.[/bold]

But, here's the key point, and I can't stress this enough: He has to (repeatedly) slap Kanye West! (Did I mention 'repeatedly', because that's important.)

See how easy that was? A seemingly vexatious public relations problem solved by the flick of a wrist.

(I considered having him slap Meghan, but that was just for my own grins and giggles.)

by Anonymousreply 19November 29, 2022 5:36 PM

I remember reading this article back at the time of the slap. The author grew up Black in Philly at about the same time as Will Smith.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20November 29, 2022 6:03 PM

Movies are shelved for years when there are issues, R14. And there are definitely issues with a movie whose leading man walked onto a stage in front of a billion people and smacked someone in the face.

And you are completely wrong about the public reaction to Will Smith, but I wouldn’t expect anything less from a delusional Trumpie.

by Anonymousreply 21November 29, 2022 6:43 PM

Sorry, but I’m not interested in watching any of his films. It’s too bad they didn’t pick another actor.

by Anonymousreply 22November 29, 2022 7:01 PM

The Academy (with an AA female as President) will have Will Smith back as a presenter in 2023.

Just wait and see.

And I hope there is OUTRAGE and calls for a boycott.

He can't get away with assaulting another person in front of billions of people.

by Anonymousreply 23November 29, 2022 7:04 PM

FUCK.

WILL.

SMITH.

by Anonymousreply 24November 29, 2022 9:53 PM

Thank you for allowing me my space!

by Anonymousreply 25November 29, 2022 10:09 PM

He’s such a Mary mess.

by Anonymousreply 26November 29, 2022 10:16 PM

[quote]Movies are shelved for years when there are issues. And there are definitely issues with a movie whose leading man walked onto a stage in front of a billion people and smacked someone in the face.

At the time of the Oscar incident, there was talk of Emancipation's release being postponed until 2023. Allegedly, the studio decided to go ahead with the release this year because they had a heavy schedule of films planned for 2023.

Even in a world in which an expensive movie like Batgirl can become a write-down, a $125 million movie about slavery isn't going to be vaulted indefinitely. I'm assuming the gamble is that there will be critical goodwill toward it because of the mostly black cast and the subject matter, and if Smith says the right things on his contrition tour, he won't drag it down.

I have little interest in it, myself.

by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2022 7:23 AM

[quote] I'm assuming the gamble is that there will be critical goodwill toward it because of the mostly black cast and the subject matter, and if Smith says the right things on his contrition tour, he won't drag it down.

It’s already failing. Both Smith and Trevor Noah are being heavily criticized for that terrible Daily Show interview. This is a big mistake for Smith, and no one is going to want to be anywhere near his toxic mess.

by Anonymousreply 28November 30, 2022 10:46 AM

I sympathize with EVERYONE that's been left in this guy's wake. Chris Rock, the people who won that night, and the people involved in THIS movie. All have to suffer over his tantrum.

by Anonymousreply 29November 30, 2022 12:28 PM

It's kind of embarrassing that DL has fallen so low that people like r15 just randomly accuse people of not caring about Trump trying to use a coup to overthrow the election results and stay in power -- as though Smith smacking Rock is the same as a fucking coup -- then WW themselves 9 times to make it look like a bunch of people agreed with them.

by Anonymousreply 30November 30, 2022 12:34 PM

Ah, I see r21 called me a Trumpster as well.

Any chance you have any evidence of that, r21? I'm all ears. I'm sure you didn't call me a Trumpster just because you disagree with me about this stupid interview, right? You're too smart for that.

by Anonymousreply 31November 30, 2022 12:36 PM

Black people will rally around him. Black women def will cuz he was defending his wife and that's what a real man does!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 30, 2022 12:39 PM

[quote]FUCK.

[quote]WILL.

[quote]SMITH.

PICS.

PLEASE.

by Anonymousreply 33November 30, 2022 12:42 PM

[quote]Black people will rally around him.

No one has been rallying around him. There have been a few people on Twitter saying that the article that compared Smith to Weinstein was out of line, but that was about it.

by Anonymousreply 34November 30, 2022 12:52 PM

All five of “The View” panelists agreed yesterday that Will should be forgiven and everyone should see his new movie.

by Anonymousreply 35November 30, 2022 1:59 PM

I mean, that's not rallying around Smith so much as being paid to shill for the new movie.

Maybe r21 and r15 will call me a Trumpster again for saying this, but the truth is no one really cares anymore. That doesn't mean they're going to see his stupid movie. "Doesn't care anymore" isn't the same as "have forgiven him and love him again." I get that The View and Trevor Noah have made their statements, but in this climate, those are probably more advertising than genuine expressions of good will toward Smith. Regular people online seem to be either not concerned at all, or basically saying "enough, already, I'm tired of hearing about this."

by Anonymousreply 36November 30, 2022 2:09 PM

I'm tired of hearing about this tool.

by Anonymousreply 37November 30, 2022 2:19 PM

Pretty much the same on "The Talk" yesterday. I think only one person brought up Chris Rock, but most of the conversation was about forgiving and moving on because, you know, Will has suffered enough.

by Anonymousreply 38November 30, 2022 2:26 PM

Best thing to happen to the Oscar Ceremony in YEARS! It’s been a long, boring, dreary wank session for years.

by Anonymousreply 39November 30, 2022 2:26 PM

Will Smith is not a victim in this.

by Anonymousreply 40November 30, 2022 2:31 PM

It hasn't even been a year. I don't think Smith is irredeemable but ONE Oscar cycle without hearing from this guy isn't asking for a lot.

Take a sabbatical and shut the fuck up for a while. The haste to return to the spotlight just makes his words very hollow.

by Anonymousreply 41November 30, 2022 2:31 PM

If the Academy has Will Smith attend the Oscar 2023 telecast, I want him to be greeted with loud and raucous BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!!!!!!

Both he and Jada deserve it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42November 30, 2022 2:33 PM

No question, he's coming back too soon, but again I don't know how much of this is his doing and how much of it is the studio pushing it when they shouldn't. If the rumor that they didn't want to push this back to 2023 is true, Smith may not have had a choice. I think if he does this round of publicity and then goes back to radio silence, people will appreciate that.

by Anonymousreply 43November 30, 2022 2:44 PM

Since he won Best Actor, he will probably be asked to present the “Best Actress” award

by Anonymousreply 44November 30, 2022 2:59 PM

R44, Bless your heart.

by Anonymousreply 45November 30, 2022 3:04 PM

I didn’t say he should be r45, just that’s what would normally happen. Let’s see if they follow tradition this year.

by Anonymousreply 46November 30, 2022 3:10 PM

R46, He’s been banned from appearing on the Oscars for ten(10) years.

by Anonymousreply 47November 30, 2022 3:14 PM

Terrible actor and a shitty person. Make room for talented people pleasw

by Anonymousreply 48November 30, 2022 3:20 PM

Fuck him. I’m not paying to see this thug.

by Anonymousreply 49November 30, 2022 3:40 PM

Does he understand all of his movies I didn’t see before the slap?

by Anonymousreply 50November 30, 2022 3:42 PM

Is there full frontal nudity?

by Anonymousreply 51November 30, 2022 3:52 PM

Take that faux humble and shove it up yo ass Mr. Smith.

by Anonymousreply 52November 30, 2022 3:53 PM

R8 the runaway slave is based on a real person. The iconic image of the black man with all them scars on his back.

by Anonymousreply 53November 30, 2022 3:56 PM

He can take a seat next to Ezra Miller

by Anonymousreply 54November 30, 2022 4:13 PM

[quote]The black community doesn’t care but then again, it always vigorously defends any black Pierson no matter how loathsome their behavior may have been. The black community seems to tolerate, embrace and make apologies for male violence even more than the white community.

I hate white people sometimes when I see that some of them are actually walking around with this bullshit in their head. It's enraging. This ignorant person is going to speak for the black community, as if there isn't a black community here to speak for itself. It saddens me the amount of misinformation, prejudices and beliefs some white people have about black people. We are NOT all the same. We don't think the same way. We don't all want the same things. We are not of a singular mind. And you for one should not be speaking for any community other than your own. And just because you can point to a handful of people who stupidly defend Will Smith, that is no proof. Especially when there have been several outspoken black celebrities against Will Smith.

There are A LOT of things I don't know about different cultures, different communities. I am always open to the idea of learning more and asking questions. But never in a million years would I think to act as a mouthpiece for a community I was completely ignorant about and had zero interaction with outside of popular entertainment and news. It is so fucking entitled, it's insane. But entitlement is the air r16 breathes.

I will speak for myself as a member of the black community. What Will Smith did was absolutely disgusting AND absolutely embarrassing to me. I never liked the man. He's a terrible actor and his family is insufferable.

And I wish he could "Completely Understand" I've never wanted to see any of his films for exactly these reasons.

by Anonymousreply 55November 30, 2022 4:33 PM

[quote] I hate white people sometimes when I see that some of them are actually walking around with this bullshit in their head.

I hate white people sometimes, too.

by Anonymousreply 56November 30, 2022 4:36 PM

I hope he completely understands when the movie sinks without a trace.

by Anonymousreply 57November 30, 2022 4:37 PM

It’s not about “not being ready”, it’s about you and your bald assed wife being CUNTS. Throwing you on the same pile as Matt Damon, George Clooney and Julia Roberts…your personalities are so odious that I can no longer watch your projects.

by Anonymousreply 58November 30, 2022 4:39 PM

R56 Ye specifically hates Jews. He is rather buddy buddy with Trump and other White Nationalists.

by Anonymousreply 59November 30, 2022 4:43 PM

What R4 said

by Anonymousreply 60November 30, 2022 4:43 PM

R55, There are so many hysterical queens here. Will Smith acted like a manic idiot for one night in a blemish free career and he is supposed to be canceled. Especially by his own? Fuck otta here.

Roman Polanski fucked a 14 yr old girl in the ass. That is statutory rape in all of this land and was celebrated and honored continuously. You think hollywood didn't know that William Hurt was beating the shit out of his girlfriends. Some of you here in the know with ties to the industry probably knew that. I don't care for the Smiths but I am certainly not about to cancel him.

by Anonymousreply 61November 30, 2022 4:44 PM

Ironically this movie is Oscar bait. I hope it bombs.

by Anonymousreply 62November 30, 2022 4:48 PM

To be fair, R61, MANY people in the Hollywood community are guilty of many foul things: the difference is that they haven't done it on an Oscar telecast before millions.

by Anonymousreply 63November 30, 2022 4:51 PM

Will Smith is like a Special Olympics kid running track. People were so wowed by the fact that he could functionally complete a drama from beginning to end that he started to think he was actually a master at his craft.

He should count himself very lucky that by the grace of the success of his earlier films his ventures into dramas weren't completely lambasted. But I have never seen a genuine moment from him in any of his films when he wasn't playing a jester. You can see the acting wheels spinning. He is a complete hack and I hate the way his face falls when he's playing a serious role - like in the Emancipation movie poster. He is thoroughly ridiculous.

AND the motherfucker as an Oscar now? The Oscars are so over. They are rotting in the jail cell next to the man they lauded as the industry standard bearer for over two decades - The man with the gummy-fish penis and thigh balls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64November 30, 2022 4:53 PM

He is too try hard in that movie, the clip I saw was embarrassing

by Anonymousreply 65November 30, 2022 5:05 PM

SEVEN POUNDS and CONCUSSION both were Oscar bait and they tanked.

Who said that Polanski was getting a pass? Not from me. It’s so hard for me to watch most films today because I find the actors in them to be so obnoxious offscreen.

by Anonymousreply 66November 30, 2022 5:07 PM

He’s been banned from the Oscars for a decade R44. He will neither be nominated nor attend.

by Anonymousreply 67November 30, 2022 5:15 PM

R67, Won’t you please give a hearty hello to R47?

by Anonymousreply 68November 30, 2022 5:19 PM

Banned includes being unable to receive nominations? Must’ve missed that tidbit.

by Anonymousreply 69November 30, 2022 5:22 PM

He can still win an Oscar but he is not allowed on the show.

by Anonymousreply 70November 30, 2022 5:23 PM

R69, He is still eligible to be Oscar nominated.

by Anonymousreply 71November 30, 2022 5:24 PM

He’s never going to win another Oscar. Nor will he ever be nominated. His awards days are over. Whether or not he can rally enough to keep his black audience and whether they can single-handedly save his career has yet to be seen.

by Anonymousreply 72November 30, 2022 5:28 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73November 30, 2022 5:30 PM

Smith is receiving bad counsel.

by Anonymousreply 74November 30, 2022 5:31 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75November 30, 2022 5:33 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76November 30, 2022 5:35 PM

Trevor Noah should have known better. No way would I have ever had him on my show.

by Anonymousreply 77November 30, 2022 5:44 PM

R73 you are silly, that made me laugh

by Anonymousreply 78November 30, 2022 5:46 PM

R64, I agree with you about his acting up until King Richard. He BECAME the Williams sisters father. First time he was truly lost in a role to me, and I also think he had the fortune of having a fine thespian as a colead who elevated him.

I remember when he was getting rave reviews for Ali. The film was very well done but his acting came across like an SNL parody without the comedic punchlines.

by Anonymousreply 79November 30, 2022 6:10 PM

The problem for Will Smith, unlike others like a Roman Polanski is that Will Smith played into exactly what people perceive as his Achilles heel. It was like the Howard Dean "Yeeehaaw" scream that ended his campaign. People perceived Howard Dean as strung a bit too tight to be president, and that crazy scream played right into that. People perceive Will Smith as entitled, and full of himself. And do go up on the Oscar stage and slap someone plays right into that. Now if Roman Polanski made films that lingered creepily around underage girls and sexualized them, then there would be more of an outrage. But I wouldn't call never being able to return to America as "getting a pass."

by Anonymousreply 80November 30, 2022 9:25 PM

R80 Roman Polanski can return to America. He just has to face the LA county court to face punishment for his crime.

by Anonymousreply 81November 30, 2022 9:27 PM

That is kind of my point R81. He wasn't given a pass, he has just avoided judgement.

by Anonymousreply 82November 30, 2022 9:34 PM

The NYT shut down user comments on today’s Will Smith piece within 1 hour—a new record, as far as I can tell. Likely because the number of Will Smith supporters commenting was certainly going to end in tears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 1, 2022 1:12 AM

The Academy should play this on an endless loop throughout the 2023 telecast.

Will Smith is a fucking lunatic. A wild animal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 1, 2022 1:18 AM

I'm so happy he complete understands. That's a big weight off my shoulders.

by Anonymousreply 85December 1, 2022 1:19 AM

*completely ^^

by Anonymousreply 86December 1, 2022 1:19 AM

Any dick pix of Missy Will? I’m curious what Jada has been gettin.

I hope he gets nominated again. Can you imagine the boffo ratings for that awards show?

by Anonymousreply 87December 1, 2022 1:26 AM

Smith's yelling after the slap for me was worse, he sounded like a psycho.

by Anonymousreply 88December 1, 2022 4:37 AM

I hope he understands that I don't want to watch any of his other movies either.

Loved Jada in Gotham., BTW. I thought she was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 89December 1, 2022 4:45 AM

I don't give a shit what Will Smith has to say about anything. He's stuck in a situation of his own making. Boo Hoo, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 90December 1, 2022 4:54 AM

what a vile creep. never have never will watch his movies.....he is flat out gross.

by Anonymousreply 91December 1, 2022 5:05 AM

Yeah R88...but what was worse, for me, was that the audience cheered him when he won the Oscar...with a standing ovation. Fucking Hollywood hyprocrites. Go Willie!

by Anonymousreply 92December 1, 2022 8:32 AM

*hypocrites...^^

by Anonymousreply 93December 1, 2022 8:38 AM

[quote] But I have never seen a genuine moment from him in any of his films when he wasn't playing a jester. You can see the acting wheels spinning. He is a complete hack and I hate the way his face falls when he's playing a serious role - like in the Emancipation movie poster. He is thoroughly ridiculous.

[quote] AND the motherfucker as an Oscar now? The Oscars are so over. They are rotting in the jail cell next to the man they lauded as the industry standard bearer for over two decades - The man with the gummy-fish penis and thigh balls.

Thought it a total joke that Smith received an Oscar: not only for his lack of acting professionalism; but also, the fact that he assaulted someone on live television moments beforehand.

Sadly, this is a huge stain on the Oscars. In fact, thanks to the “Wills” (Smith & Parker), last years Oscars did me in. Don’t know that I will ever watch another Oscars broadcast again.

by Anonymousreply 94December 1, 2022 11:20 AM

Agreed r79. He was terrible as Ali. There’s always the smugness in his performances that makes him annoying to watch onscreen. I didn’t like him before the Oscar slap. Hated him, his wife and his crotchfruit long before all of this.

The Slap only confirmed that he is a cunt beyond reproach.

by Anonymousreply 95December 1, 2022 1:45 PM

If Will Smith gets anywhere near the Oscars 2023 telecast, the other actors should boycott the event.

Otherwise, they will be endorsing assault on innocent people.

It's time for Hollywood to put up or shut up.

They are so PC and WOKE when it comes to shit like this outside of Hollywood, but when it comes to one of their own, they just excuse it.

Anyone with a conscience should be outraged at what Will Smith did to Chris Rock.

He should never work in Hollywood, ever again.

by Anonymousreply 96December 1, 2022 4:19 PM

[quote] Outside of DL, people were upset for a couple of weeks, then got tired of it, and now don't much care.

[quote] He should never work in Hollywood, ever again.

Unlike R14, above who appears to condone assault, I agree with you, R96. Smith should be black-balled from Hollywood. If this film tanks, perhaps he will take a hint?

by Anonymousreply 97December 1, 2022 4:24 PM

Smith is much higher on the food chain than Rock. He is being treated accordingly. As if his fellow actors would turn against the natural order of things (in Hollywood world).

by Anonymousreply 98December 1, 2022 4:35 PM

IndieWire:

'An over-inflated B movie with little gold delusions of grandeur, Antoine Fuqua’s thoroughly Oscar-pilled “Emancipation” is the kind of immaculate misfire that could only happen because Hollywood is spinning off its axis.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 1, 2022 4:37 PM

[quote] An over-inflated B movie with little gold delusions of grandeur, Antoine Fuqua’s thoroughly Oscar-pilled “Emancipation” is the kind of immaculate misfire that could only happen because Hollywood is spinning off its axis.'

Hmmmm….

[quote] Smith is much higher on the food chain than Rock. He is being treated accordingly. As if his fellow actors would turn against the natural order of things (in Hollywood world).

If Hollywood “is spinning off its axis”, perhaps they’ll cull the rotten carcasses like Smollett, Weinstein and Smith first?

by Anonymousreply 100December 1, 2022 4:42 PM

Smith reeks of phoniness, onscreen and off. He's contrite about his gross display at the Oscars because public opinion turned against him. He and Jada distanced themselves from Scientology (after founding a school that forced teachers to follow a Scientology Tech-based curriculum) because public opinion turned more strongly against that. Maybe he's no worse than most Hollywood actors -- these preening sycophants like Drew Barrymore, Kate Winslet, and Timothée Chalamet one-upping each other with public "regret" that they acted in Woody Allen films, for example, when nothing factually substantive has come out that wasn't public knowledge in 1992-93 -- but there's nothing admirable about him.

by Anonymousreply 101December 1, 2022 4:46 PM

R96 You had me until he should never work ever again. Really? You must be a fkin Mary or a woman.

Many in hollywood don't even agree with cancel culture. Cancel culture is juvenile and vengeful.

by Anonymousreply 102December 1, 2022 5:50 PM

Will the Oscar producers allow host Jimmy Kimmel to even mention the slap on the 2023 show?

by Anonymousreply 103December 1, 2022 7:54 PM

I wonder if Will Smith "completely understands" that he assaulted another person in front of billions of people, that he should have been arrested and charged with assault, that he should have had his Oscar taken away from him, that he should have been escorted out of the event immediately after he assaulted Chris Rock, that he should be banned from Oscar telecasts for a MINIMUM of ten years, that he jeopardized the careers of EVERYONE who had a part in making the film "Emancipation," and on and on?????

Will Smith is a rotten fucking CUNT.

He has no idea what he did. Nor does he care.

The Academy should strike him from everything they have ever given him, over the course of his "career" in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 104December 1, 2022 9:07 PM

DL kisses Brad Pitt’s ass even though he’s an alcoholic deadbeat child abuser. What Will Smith did is way less worse in comparison. At least he apologized and accepted his punishment.

by Anonymousreply 105December 2, 2022 12:30 AM

Will Smith did it on live TV in front of the world and then strutted off the stage, proud of himself.

by Anonymousreply 106December 2, 2022 12:37 AM

R105 Really because I've seen a lot of DL hate on Brad Pitt for exactly those reasons. Both are trash. Of course what Will Smith did was public and broadcast on a global scale whereas with Pitt we only have reports of his abusive behavior.

by Anonymousreply 107December 2, 2022 12:37 AM

[quote] What Will Smith did is way less worse in comparison. At least he apologized and accepted his punishment.

No way. The guy partied after the Oscars. He was shameless. Then when the general public - aghast at his behavior - registered their disgust, the wimpy Oscar staff condemned Smith; and Smith responded with a lame turnabout.

If you want to call that apologizing, I have 200 acres of beachfront Iowa property to sell you, R105.

Unrepentant assault on live tv viewed by millions. The guy needs to go. From Hollywood. Permanently.

by Anonymousreply 108December 2, 2022 12:54 AM

R108 What's just as bad is black Twitter claiming that the assault was a black issue and only black people can talk about it...never mind that millions of people all over the world saw it. Even more pathetic were the white people asking for permission if they were allowed to speak about it or not. And then the ones claiming that Will Smith's actions were actually normal in the black community and it was racism to perceive his actions as assault because that's just how black people act and white people need to deal with it. So regressive and tone-deaf.

by Anonymousreply 109December 2, 2022 12:58 AM

R107 You’re in the minority then. Most people on here kiss Brad’s ass and think Angelina is just a manipulative lying bitch even though none of his kids fuck with him.

by Anonymousreply 110December 2, 2022 2:29 AM

R108 I agree he did not carry himself well after it happened but he has since apologized and seems generally remorseful about what happened. Slapping a grown man isn’t nearly as bad as choking one of your children like Brad Pitt did.

by Anonymousreply 111December 2, 2022 2:31 AM

I'm so glad he understands, I've lost a lot of sleep anticipating his reaction.

by Anonymousreply 112December 2, 2022 2:52 AM

Will Smith is making public appearances again.

Here he is with his freaky family on the red carpet for "Emancipation."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113December 2, 2022 3:15 AM

[quote]DL kisses Brad Pitt’s ass even though he’s an alcoholic deadbeat child abuser.

Please, you probably need a shit load of alcohol to deal with those insufferable kids and the oldest probably deserved to be backhanded across a private plane. Pitt grew up in 1960s/70s Oklahoma. I am sure he is of the firm belief kids need a strong hand. Maybe you wouldn't have 10 year olds picking up guns to blow away their moms for not getting Amazon orders straight if more kids were physically punished. Yeah, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 114December 2, 2022 11:44 AM

Several well known mass shooters and serial killers were known to have been physically abused by their parents, so, no.

by Anonymousreply 115December 2, 2022 12:46 PM

You are supposed to be phony to create the type of career success Will Smith has enjoyed. His wife is "real" and will never have the success her husband has, he worked on this.

by Anonymousreply 116December 2, 2022 1:01 PM

Jada looks like an alien in that picture.

by Anonymousreply 117December 2, 2022 2:25 PM

R109: Racist Bullshit

by Anonymousreply 118December 2, 2022 4:03 PM

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 119December 2, 2022 6:24 PM

R109 is smoking that stuff

by Anonymousreply 120December 2, 2022 6:27 PM

Whatever. The film is DOA.

by Anonymousreply 121December 2, 2022 6:34 PM

Is it only playing on Apple? It looks depressing and trying so hard to be taken seriously for awards, it just looks unappealing.

by Anonymousreply 122December 2, 2022 6:43 PM

FUCK.

WILL.

SMITH.

by Anonymousreply 123December 2, 2022 6:46 PM

R115 Everyone who grew up in the 60s, 70s, and 80s would be classified as having survived child abuse according to today's standards. Yes there is abuse and there is discipline. I was joking with the backhand, although I am sure there are some kids nowadays who definitely could have used a couple growing up.

Count how many mass shooters there are now born in the 90s, 2000s, and how many of them born before that. Kids today have no boundaries. That is the first thing we learned growing up in the 70s, 80s.

by Anonymousreply 124December 2, 2022 7:21 PM

R105 Brad is not a child abuser. Stop the histrionics and reading pr smear campaigns. I believe he was a loving father who tried to instill some normalcy in their Hollyweird household. I do think he believed in spankings, like most of America; that is not child abuse. I also think Angie tried to be the best mother she could coupling with mental illness and past heroin addiction.

by Anonymousreply 125December 3, 2022 9:45 PM

R108 Chris Rock handled that with a lot of maturity. He should be applauded for years. Had that been a Martin Lawrence or Mike Epps there would have been a full blown brawl on that stage and blacks would have been banned for a lifetime. I also think Will Smith's bitch ass would not have never done that with certain comedians.

by Anonymousreply 126December 3, 2022 9:48 PM

R109 very sad. Just like black people don't care about black males being murdered unless it's by a white cop.

It's like a slave mentality. I call them nigras. And no that's not a typo.

by Anonymousreply 127December 3, 2022 9:58 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!