Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I’m convinced that nonbinary/queer/fake trans identity exists mostly online

Could I be wrong? Sure. But where are these people in real life?

If you go to a site like Twitter or Reddit, or in the past Tumblr, you are awash in posts by people declaring themselves to be nonbinary, queer, pansexual, omnisexual, demigirl, and “trans” (by which I mean not real trans but “crossdresser” trans).

I live and work in the Bay Area, a known hotbed for weirdos, and I work at a tech company with tons of 20 somethings. I have never encountered anyone in the workplace claiming to be nonbinary or demanding to be addressed as they, ze, zir, or anything else. Furthermore, while in grad school doing my MBA in the Bay Area, I was in class with many 20 somethings. Not once did I encounter anyone in any of my classes demanding to be addressed with fancy pronouns or declaring to have any bizarre identity.

I’m convinced that much - or most - of the stuff that you see on Reddit and Twitter is just some kind of online fantasy, and that the people claiming these identities don’t even really believe it. Most likely these “nonbinary transmasculine queer demigirls” online are just regular old girls in real life.

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2022 11:58 AM

No way. I went Black Friday shopping and I went into one shop and every employee was one. Trans, purple hair, dog collars, etc. All very nice but no, they exist.

by Anonymousreply 1November 28, 2022 3:00 AM

[quote]I live and work in the Bay Area, a known hotbed for weirdos, and I work at a tech company with tons of 20 somethings. I have never encountered anyone in the workplace claiming to be nonbinary or demanding to be addressed as they, ze, zir, or anything else.

This seems very true and not at all like some stupid story a troll made up or anything.

by Anonymousreply 2November 28, 2022 3:11 AM

Pretty much every coffee shop, restaurant and retail establishment in Seattle is practically overrun with them. And they will let you know about it, wether you care to hear about it or not.

by Anonymousreply 3November 28, 2022 3:34 AM

I've had a couple of trans and non-binary co-workers. I don't think it's that big of a deal, at least it's not something I make a big deal out of. I do notice that my attitude annoys a couple of them, as if they really want to pontificate to me about their identity, which they can't because it's not that interesting.

by Anonymousreply 4November 28, 2022 3:43 AM

Trans people can’t afford to live in the Bay Area.

by Anonymousreply 5November 28, 2022 3:44 AM

If they can be I identified as I think they can, which is: pasty looking skin, dumpy shaped bodies, oversized glasses and coloured hair, then I do occasionally see them around in public, but it doesn't seem as huge where I live as you might expect when you compare to the people talking about themselves online.

The only trans people I know are genuine and lovely, one I work with and they are an excellent worker and there are no problems there. They just get along in life like the rest of us.

There needs to be a new name for this particular group of perpetually online, self-obsessed, quick to anger and take offence etc. people. They seem to be a group unto themselves.

by Anonymousreply 6December 2, 2022 9:50 PM

A non binary undergrad this semester has all the professors guessing the genetic truth. Slammed into it today when it was running down the stairs. It is over 6 feet. Attractive. Impossible to deduce.

by Anonymousreply 7December 2, 2022 10:03 PM

The character is now considered deeply offensive, but when I hear about non-binary I think of Pat from SNL in the 90s. A real pioneer for the non-binary community if they could only not take themselves so seriously and have a laugh at themselves. It wasn’t mean-spirited humor to me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8December 2, 2022 10:05 PM

R7 "It" - ? Shouldn't that be "them"?

I don't think you should refer to humans as "it" unless "it" is Trump.

by Anonymousreply 9December 2, 2022 10:06 PM

Call them by their name.

by Anonymousreply 10December 2, 2022 10:55 PM

About 10 years ago, I spotted a large person of indeterminate gender wearing a T-shirt that said “100% Trans Fat.”

See, they’re not ALL humorless.

by Anonymousreply 11December 2, 2022 10:58 PM

When I left Seattle last year there were plenty of them, mostly androgynous/masc women.

by Anonymousreply 12December 2, 2022 10:58 PM

I think this fad is fading now mainly just random ugly younger WalMart employees with green hair, bad body odor, horrible skin loudly declaring to every customer they are trans by wearing a they/them name tag. It's just starting to look stupid. Even a few silly girly girls are starting to declare nonbinary to get attention. I've noticed it seems to be fading in impact and losing all meaning.

by Anonymousreply 13December 2, 2022 11:05 PM

No, I see it in real life (community theatre group), but I respectfully disappear from it.

by Anonymousreply 14December 2, 2022 11:25 PM

I don't know why Pat would be considered offensive. The joke wasn't that Pat was trans, it was that no one who encountered Pat was sure if Pat was a man or a woman, and were afraid to ask.

But as we know, the Ts get offended by ANYTHING.

by Anonymousreply 15December 2, 2022 11:39 PM

[quote]mostly androgynous/masc women.

I wonder why women like this don't wish to instead show how being andogynous or masc you are still a woman, that there is variety in being a woman as there is a man. I kinda find that more interesting, to be honest. I've said this before, but androgynous figures of old like Grace Jones, David Bowie, Annie Lennox of Katherine Moennig are always a lot more interesting to look at than the rather negative features of the nonbinary.

by Anonymousreply 16December 3, 2022 12:20 AM

^or, not of, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 17December 3, 2022 12:21 AM

"When I left Seattle last year there..."

Don't you mean the Capitol Hill neighborhood?

by Anonymousreply 18December 3, 2022 1:12 AM

[quote] No, I see it in real life (community theatre group), but I respectfully disappear from it.

r14 I see the same, in the both professional and amateur scenes. Some theatre gays and lesbians I knew roughly more than ten years ago, who were decently attractive, are now full-blown fugly "they/them" with the matching fug hair.

by Anonymousreply 19December 3, 2022 2:25 AM

The desire to make oneself unattractive is a really curious one. I wonder what is behind it?

by Anonymousreply 20December 3, 2022 2:27 AM

Do you watch Jeopardy OP?

Amy Schneider is trans AKA a man in a wig married to a WOMAN. She fucking won Tournament of Champions.

There was Rowan during TOC Semifinals or whatever it was called, who since HER last appearance, is now a THEY, and NON BINARY.

There were 1 or 2 other NBYs/Trans in the last month or 2 alone.

by Anonymousreply 21December 3, 2022 3:25 AM

Yeah, community and student theatre are where I've seen them--women who aren't very attractive looking for attention and on-the-spectrum types. I know a number of parents whose teen and college-age kids have decided that they're theys. Mostly girls, though one autistic boy.

by Anonymousreply 22December 3, 2022 6:23 AM

The two males who are non-binary and transgender in my community theatre are kind of conservative, and come from pretty strong religiousy backgrounds.

by Anonymousreply 23December 3, 2022 11:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!