Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shakespearean characters you despise

Who's your most hated Shakespearean or Elizabethan drama character, for petty reasons? They're not a villain, necessarily (though they can be), you just cannot stand them.

Mine is Lord Capulet. What a gross, ugly, social-climbing piece of shit human. And his corny jokes at his parties enrage me. "God's breath" blah blah blah shut up you old withered dick!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2022 11:46 PM

Leontes in A Winter's Tale.

by Anonymousreply 1November 26, 2022 5:31 PM

Kevin.

by Anonymousreply 2November 26, 2022 5:49 PM

R2 oh was he in CARDENIO?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 27, 2022 1:21 AM

No frustrated AmDram elders around anymore then, I suppose?

by Anonymousreply 4November 27, 2022 12:14 PM

Juliet. If Romeo and Mercutio hadn't gone to the Capulets' party, Romeo and Mercutio might have gone from being best friends to falling in love with each other. And they might not have died in the end, as they'd have kept their love secret from the Montagues and Mercutio's family.

Did Mercutio even have a last name?

by Anonymousreply 5November 27, 2022 12:27 PM

Claudio. I never understood why Hero still married him after he allowed himself to be manipulated, and then embarrassed her in front of her whole family.

by Anonymousreply 6November 27, 2022 12:34 PM

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead to me.

by Anonymousreply 7November 27, 2022 12:37 PM

R5 RoMercutio??? nah the ship is clearly MercuTybalt, they were sooo flirty

“Maybe a word and a blow..” “You’ll find me good at that, Mercutio, if you’ll give me a chance.”

“Here’s my baton that shall make you dance. Consorts indeed!” Etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 27, 2022 12:39 PM

Friar Lawrence. His cowardice and shitty advice got both Romeo and Juliet killed.

by Anonymousreply 9November 27, 2022 1:13 PM

Consensus so far? We all fucking hate Romeo & Juliet because the characters are all awful people👍

by Anonymousreply 10November 27, 2022 1:15 PM

Your mom.

by Anonymousreply 11November 27, 2022 1:16 PM

Polonius. Perhaps just… don’t sound like Claudius and you won’t be killed mate :/

by Anonymousreply 12November 27, 2022 7:14 PM

Those annoying cunts at the beginning of Timon who don't have names, just their professions as titles. All very unserious and unhelpful lads, terrible bants from them as well.

by Anonymousreply 13November 28, 2022 3:12 PM

Ophelia. The original drama queen.

So you got dumped, bitch -- it happens.

Do you put on your big girl panties and seduce young Fortinbras to show that limp-dicked soyboy Hamlet what he's missing? No, you swan about woe-is-me-ing to everybody at court and literally -- literally! -- losing your mind. Can't even drown yourself discreetly, nope, go floating down the river singing (off-key, no doubt) and making sure everyone watches.

She's even more annoying than her father.

by Anonymousreply 14November 28, 2022 8:40 PM

R9 wasn’t it only the screw ups with messages that got Romeo squibbed? The Friar would have had a sound plan if not for that, and Romeo & Juliet both followed it to the letter and could have pulled it off but for a twist of fate in the fucking postal service.

If you want to talk about +300-year old doomed lovers with no plan who didn’t give a fuck if they lived or died, you want John Ford’s Giovanni & Annabella. They were just winging it in the most hilariously gruesome and obnoxious and stupid (affectionate) way possible.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2022 12:50 PM

OP has an issue with a character in Shakespeare's beautiful "sad fairy tale without fairies" because the themes required Capulet to be a stereotypical authority figure and father.

But Iago....

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2022 12:55 PM

Cordelia.

Her on-the-spectrum thick-headedness, ignoring the fact that she must have known her sisters were conniving cunts, killed her entire family, plus Gloucester, Edmund, Lear's Fool, and thousands of soldiers.

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2022 12:57 PM

The imitation Falstaff in "Merry Wives of Windsor" - NOT MY SIR JOHN!

by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2022 12:59 PM

R17 oh, is that all?

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2022 12:59 PM

Romeo and Juliet. Pair of teenagers throwing a tantrum.

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2022 1:33 PM

Lavinia in Titus Andronicus is in the Too Fucking Dumb to Live category. If you catch the Empress shagging her major domo, just keep your mouth shut and pretend you didn't notice.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2022 1:45 PM

I can't really explain it but I've just always wanted to beat the shit out of Puck.

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2022 1:46 PM

R22 that's how I feel about Ariel. The spooky bitch just flies around like a more annoying Tinkerbell, "yes Mastering" Prospero without even asking any pertinent questions first. Grow a spine, gurl.

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2022 12:43 AM

Bottom

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2022 12:52 AM

Ophelia

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2022 1:10 AM

R21 that was really the least of poor Lavinia’s problems..

On the other end of the spectrum, j’adore that queen bitch Tamora. The way she just isn’t fucking having of the imperial war hawks looking to swing their withered dicks around. And she openly lusts and receives hot young submissive dick. She’s brilliant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 2, 2022 1:24 AM

Achilles in TROILUS & CRESSIDA. Giving gays a bad name.

There again, he’s a loathsome whiney queen in every literary work in which he appears, so it’s very on brand and IC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 2, 2022 12:36 PM

R18 Shallow & Slender think they're sooooooo hilarious. Well, they're not.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28December 4, 2022 11:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!