Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Prince Harry Makes Surprise Visit to Pearl Harbor on Veterans Day: 'He Was Very Respectful'

Prince Harry made a surprise stop on Veterans Day.

The Duke of Sussex, 41, visited Pearl Harbor in Honolulu, Hawaii, last Friday afternoon, touring the USS Arizona Memorial, PEOPLE confirms. A somber site in American history books, the battleship was bombed by Japanese forces in December 1941. Over 1,100 crew members died in the attack, which drove the U.S. to enter World War II.

Harry visited the memorial in a personal capacity. The USS Arizona Memorial on the island of Oahu is a short flight from his home in Montecito, California, where he lives with his wife Meghan Markle and their two children, son Archie, 3, and daughter Lilibet, 1.

"He kind of approached us," Dan Conover, who was also touring the USS Arizona with his family on Friday, tells PEOPLE.

"I moved out of his way because he's royalty, I figured I'd let him do his thing. He basically gave me a greeting," Conover, 23, explains. "He was very respectful and courteous and nice. I moved out of his way, and he kind of patted me on the back and said, 'You're all good mate.' It was a simple interaction, but he was very nice and courteous and respectful."

The eyewitness added that there was an expert "who was basically explaining things to Prince Harry — 'This is what happened on this day, how the USS Arizona, etc.' "

The outing was likely emotional for Prince Harry, who served in the British Army for 10 years and completed two tours of Afghanistan. Before stepping back from his senior royal role, he held three honorary military titles — Captain General of the Royal Marines, Honorary Air Commandant of RAF Honington and Commodore-in-Chief, Small Ships and Diving, Royal Naval Command.

November 11 is Veterans Day in the U.S., and Remembrance Day in the U.K. In honor of the solemn holidays, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex released a new photo and simple statement on their Archewell Foundation website. In the black and white snap, taken by their wedding photographer Chris Allerton, the couple faced military personnel, including a serviceman holding an American flag.

"On this Veterans Day and Remembrance Day, we honor service members across the world," Harry and Meghan, 41, wrote. "These brave men and women, as well as their families, have made tremendous sacrifices and embody duty and service."

"We are proud to work with so many organizations that support veterans and military families, including The Invictus Games Foundation, The Mission Continues, Team Rubicon, Scotty's Little Soldiers and The Greatest GENERATIONS Foundation. Today and every day, thank you for your service," the statement wrapped.

Last year on Veterans Day, the couple paid a surprise visit to a New Jersey military base. At a luncheon for service members and their spouses at the Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, Meghan and Harry discussed topics like mental health and the importance of community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 8, 2022 2:24 AM

[quote]The USS Arizona Memorial on the island of Oahu is a short flight from his home in Montecito, California,

Are you fucking nuts?

by Anonymousreply 1November 15, 2022 3:16 AM

Harry is 38, not 41.

by Anonymousreply 2November 15, 2022 3:46 AM

𝐴 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑟𝑡 𝑓𝑙𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡.

The total flight duration from Honolulu, HI to Los Angeles, CA is 4 hours, 55 minutes. This is the average in-air flight time (wheels up to wheels down on the runway) based on actual flights taken over the past year, including routes like HNL to LAX.

He slipped Meghan's leash

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3November 15, 2022 3:53 AM

Good for Harry.

by Anonymousreply 4November 15, 2022 3:56 AM

[quote] 'This is what happened on this day, how the USS Arizona, etc.' "

The eyewitness obviously hung on every word and was deeply educated about the attack by the Kido Butai that fateful day.

by Anonymousreply 5November 15, 2022 4:12 AM

This is a very odd solo trip.

How long did he stay?

by Anonymousreply 6November 15, 2022 4:19 AM

R6 it's not really odd. Meghan probably knows all about Pearl Harbor because we were taught about it. When I was a teenager, about 40 years ago, our family visited Hawaii, and we went to see the Pearl Harbor memorial. It was very moving and very scary to me. I was 13-14. YOu can actually see the ship under the water. When you realize how many soldiers died during that attack, and especially the Arizona it's pretty powerful. To a foreigner like Harry, this had to be something important he wanted to experience. I'm sure he knows all about what happened in the UK especially with the Blitz. But the Pearl Harbor attack is what got us into the War for which the UK was deeply grateful. I recently read a book about WW 2 called the Splendid and the Vile, and I highly recommend it.. Harry clearly is one of those people with an abiding interest in the military. He is a veteran.

by Anonymousreply 7November 15, 2022 4:35 AM

Got you into the war - late as usual.

by Anonymousreply 8November 15, 2022 4:37 AM

R7 MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 9November 15, 2022 10:25 PM

Love Harry.

Kudos to him.

by Anonymousreply 10November 15, 2022 10:30 PM

[quote]Harry visited the memorial in a personal capacity.

Personal capacity. As opposed to an official capacity, of which he has none.

by Anonymousreply 11November 15, 2022 10:35 PM

R11 is nasty, miserable, jealous CUNT!

Fucking William and Kate-stan KLAN GRANNY CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 12November 15, 2022 10:38 PM

R12's time on the internet is over for the night. Now take your medicine and go to bed.

by Anonymousreply 13November 15, 2022 10:40 PM

You’re as eloquent as always R12.

by Anonymousreply 14November 15, 2022 10:40 PM

Did he fly there on a carbon spewing private jet?

Surely there were local Montecito ceremonies he could have attended.

by Anonymousreply 15November 15, 2022 10:52 PM

Omg he's fucking nuts. This is so weird and embarrassing. Why is he pretending to have royal engagements!?!

by Anonymousreply 16November 15, 2022 11:22 PM

Since he and Meghan usually dress like slobs, the fact that he is wearing suit makes it clear he actually considers this an official visit, despite what is claimed and despite the fact that he holds no office.

by Anonymousreply 17November 16, 2022 12:35 AM

Did he get a good Hawaiian lei?

by Anonymousreply 18November 16, 2022 12:38 AM

Exactly, R17, and if he had shown up in jeans, t shirt and baseball cap, nobody would have even noticed him.

by Anonymousreply 19November 16, 2022 12:47 AM

Bunker Harry, Brave War Hero.

Where IS that Invictus Games documentary that showcases servicemen and women athletes? Didn’t they want to “shine a light” on these folks? Because, you know, Bunker Harry really CARES about military grunts. They protected him during his military service, after all.

by Anonymousreply 20November 16, 2022 12:56 AM

Harry is the horror of any English Monarch, a separate court in exile.

Harry's inheritance from his mother is Diana's Revenge.

by Anonymousreply 21November 16, 2022 1:00 AM

R21. Dear god. Harry doesn’t have his own court. He has his wife, Omid Scobie, occasionally Gayle King and an almost entirely indifferent American population.

by Anonymousreply 22November 16, 2022 1:12 AM

How ridiculous!

by Anonymousreply 23November 16, 2022 1:16 AM

R22’s “entirely indifferent population” cracked me up.

It’s true.

by Anonymousreply 24November 16, 2022 1:26 AM

Prince Mary

by Anonymousreply 25November 16, 2022 1:51 AM

[quote] the fact that he is wearing suit makes it clear he actually considers this an official visit

BULLSHIT.

Harry has grown up with formality.

When you visit a war memorial, you should dress appropriately.

Harry's suit is perfectly appropriate for the solemnity of the site and the visit.

It's only SLOB AMERICANS who dress in shorts and t-shirts to such a distinguished war memorial.

In fact, Harry was probably surprised at how CASUALLY Americans dress to visit the USS Arizona.

It just shows how low our standards are, that you are actually surprised that Harry wore a suit to the memorial.

SAD!

by Anonymousreply 26November 16, 2022 2:25 AM

^calm your tits Mary

by Anonymousreply 27November 16, 2022 2:33 AM

r26 is also mystified and pissed off that men don't wear suits to the office anymore, and women don't wear a hat and gloves.

by Anonymousreply 28November 16, 2022 2:40 AM

Maybe Harry should have a word with his wife whose bra was visible under her t-short when she commemorated the dead. Or perhaps he is still in shock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 16, 2022 6:42 AM

Some say he's in Hawaii to dry out and kick the drugs before his book tour/fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 30November 16, 2022 6:56 AM

Harry wearing a suit is perfectly fine.

It’s his LARPing as an American Royal that rankles. Also we all know Bunker Harry’s service was bogus. But I guess it’s nice that he uses veterans to make himself look good.

by Anonymousreply 31November 16, 2022 10:59 AM

R26, this is America. This is OUR country, 💯 absolutely NOT HIS and we fought a bloody war to ensure that particular fact.

This seems very lost on him and his pseudo-celebrity wife. They need to fuck off, except they aren't welcome back home.

We do not have Dukes and Duchesses in America. The game they are playing is an insult to this country and the people who founded it.

by Anonymousreply 32November 16, 2022 11:30 AM

Um, this is what it was about.

[quote] the Duke and Duchess of Sussex released a new photo and simple statement on their Archewell Foundation website. In the black and white snap, taken by their wedding photographer Chris Allerton, the couple faced military personnel, including a serviceman holding an American flag.

by Anonymousreply 33November 16, 2022 11:43 AM

R31. Of course it’s nice he wire a suit. The point is that he normally dresses like a slob. The fact that he dressed up shows that this wasn’t a personal visit as he claims. He’s trying to re-enact a royal visit, which is silly because he lives in a republic now and has given up his royal pistou.

by Anonymousreply 34November 16, 2022 12:12 PM

Royal positon, of course.

by Anonymousreply 35November 16, 2022 12:18 PM

Henry (his real name) was respectful but his wife was showing off her poon puff.

by Anonymousreply 36November 16, 2022 12:21 PM

“He has his wife, Omid Scobie…” Hahahahahahaha…

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2022 12:34 PM

CNN is advertising a Special Event with Michelle Obama entitled "Empowering Girls" with Melissa Gates and Amal Clooney. Oh dear, Michelle Obama wannabe La Markle wasn't invited. Tsk, tsk.

by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2022 4:14 PM

R32 is definitely not American.

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2022 5:48 PM

Meghan is still mourning Pearl.

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2022 5:52 PM

R38, you know what? I don’t want to hear Michelle Obama and Melinda Gates spouting Pinterest platitudes, either. I have more respect for those women, of course. But that inspirational garbage makes me nauseous. They only want to “empower” certain types of people, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 41November 17, 2022 11:14 AM

People captured some very nice photos of Harry's visit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 8, 2022 2:14 AM

Harry looks so tall here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 8, 2022 2:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!