Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

SCOTUS puts hold on Trump’s tax returns

Chief Justice John Roberts agreed to temporarily put on hold a lower court order requiring the release of former President Donald Trump’s tax returns by the Internal Revenue Service to a Democratic-led House committee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 5, 2022 2:39 PM

Here we go again with this charade.

by Anonymousreply 1November 1, 2022 2:21 PM

The Repugs can now commit any crimes with impunity, and the SCOTUS will help stop all the court cases for them. The US has officially become a shithole banana republic Third World country.

RIP

by Anonymousreply 2November 1, 2022 2:24 PM

Motherfuckers!

by Anonymousreply 3November 1, 2022 2:24 PM

The SCOTUS dominated by loyal GOP justices are helping to cover up Trump's crimes..

The system should only work for them an no one else.

by Anonymousreply 4November 1, 2022 2:25 PM

Bought and paid for.

by Anonymousreply 5November 1, 2022 2:25 PM

Fuck that lowlife closet case.

by Anonymousreply 6November 1, 2022 2:26 PM

So, it seems Trump IS above the law, after all.

by Anonymousreply 7November 1, 2022 2:27 PM

John Roberts has always been a corrupt lying motherfucker.

by Anonymousreply 8November 1, 2022 2:28 PM

His federalist society was based on history he knew to be false.

by Anonymousreply 9November 1, 2022 2:28 PM

If you were sooooo pure you could never vote for her then this is your fault!

You are the problem..

by Anonymousreply 10November 1, 2022 2:30 PM

He's a selfish asshole. He needs to be held to account.

by Anonymousreply 11November 1, 2022 2:31 PM

Clearly Roberts doesn't give a rats ass about truth. I don't understand why Biden doesn't just expand the court with non trump lovers.It has been done in the past.The pukes would do it in a heartbeat.

by Anonymousreply 12November 1, 2022 2:34 PM

The GOP could have expanded the court in the past, and chose not too. I'm not sure they would now, either.

by Anonymousreply 13November 1, 2022 2:38 PM

[quote]The pukes would do it in a heartbeat.

Correct. So if Joe does it now, the "pukes" will do it the next time they hold power, and we'll end up with an ever-escalating number of justices.

by Anonymousreply 14November 1, 2022 2:40 PM

Someone has to have some dirt on this closeted homo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15November 1, 2022 2:42 PM

I don't think there was any doubt that SCOTUS would do this. They're delaying it until the next Congress, which they hope will be in the Repugs' control.

by Anonymousreply 16November 1, 2022 2:45 PM

Does he give a reason? Like maybe, the Republicans will take over the House in January so he needs to postpone until then? The people of the United Stated are never going to get a look at Trump’s tax frauds. So corrupt.

by Anonymousreply 17November 1, 2022 2:45 PM

I feel Mitch McConnell's slime all over this.

by Anonymousreply 18November 1, 2022 2:46 PM

Roberts doesn't state a reason beyond the temporary hold while SCOTUS reviews the case, but it's almost certain that the reason behind it is the delay, r12.

by Anonymousreply 19November 1, 2022 2:46 PM

Suckass Roberts is scared he's going to be targeted for attack by the MAGATS if he let's them have Jabba's taxes. Every republican judge on the SCOTUS should be impeached and removed from the bench.

by Anonymousreply 20November 1, 2022 2:47 PM

Don't worry, Merrick Garland will get him in the end.

by Anonymousreply 21November 1, 2022 2:53 PM

Question - why do they want them (what is the reasoning)?

by Anonymousreply 22November 1, 2022 2:53 PM

These Christians types live to lie.

It seems these Christian types never opened up the Bible that instructs you lying is a mortal sin.

by Anonymousreply 23November 1, 2022 3:00 PM

To paraphrase a troll, lying isn't ex-communicable.

So, like it's, like whatever.

The truth is whatever I believe it to be, moment by moment.

by Anonymousreply 24November 1, 2022 3:02 PM

I know it's impossible for some people not to freak out about this, but this is just a temporary stay by one justice until a response to the application is received and (presumably, given the nature of the case) the whole Court discusses it. Not surprised at all that it happened. And won't be surprised if/when the stay is lifted.

by Anonymousreply 25November 1, 2022 3:03 PM

The Republicans are about to take over the House. So, they will not wanna get in Trumps tax business. No way the American ppl get to see Trumps tax returns anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 26November 1, 2022 3:19 PM

Regarding the several comments about expanding the court, only Congress can expand the court by passing a law to do so. Without a majority in the House and 60 votes in the Senate (or 50 Senators willing to override the filibuster to do this), it will never happen. There is also the concern (though less now than in the past) that expanding the court will just result in a tit for tat every time a different party gains control of Congress.

by Anonymousreply 27November 1, 2022 3:22 PM

America = forever locked in a Republican 69 rim job

by Anonymousreply 28November 1, 2022 3:29 PM

Just gotta laugh. America is a joke. An inflated banana republic.

by Anonymousreply 29November 1, 2022 3:39 PM

[quote] I know it's impossible for some people not to freak out about this, but this is just a temporary stay by one justice until a response to the application is received and (presumably, given the nature of the case) the whole Court discusses it. Not surprised at all that it happened. And won't be surprised if/when the stay is lifted.

Democrats will lose the house next week. We have until January for the committee to get the documents and 'leak' them to WaPo. We're down to the wire.

by Anonymousreply 30November 1, 2022 3:44 PM

[quote] I know it's impossible for some people not to freak out about this, but this is just a temporary stay by one justice until a response to the application is received and (presumably, given the nature of the case) the whole Court discusses it. Not surprised at all that it happened. And won't be surprised if/when the stay is lifted.

Aren't you the one that said Roe vs Wade would never be overturned?

by Anonymousreply 31November 1, 2022 3:55 PM

This is standard procedure. Did anyone read the article.

The “administrative stay” is temporary in nature and does not always reflect the final disposition of the dispute. It is a move often made when a deadline approaches to preserve the status quo and give the justices more time to act.

Low information voters.

by Anonymousreply 32November 1, 2022 3:59 PM

Doesn't the NY Attorney General have the records? Why can't they just get them from her?

by Anonymousreply 33November 1, 2022 4:12 PM

Repugs are gonna repug. Nothing new here. The question is WHEN are the Dems going to back people than can actually win elections. Digger deeper folks. Be the solution. We have let the country slip away over polarizing issues that make no sense to the mass electorate. For being woke, the left and center needed to wake the fuck up years ago. Too late now.

by Anonymousreply 34November 1, 2022 4:35 PM

If maga will take back the house, why is maga declaring the election results are fake before votes are counted?

THINK before responding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35November 1, 2022 6:08 PM

If Democrats put forth a whole slate of reality tv personalities, former TV news correspondents, professional athletes, and screenwriters as candidates the nutjobs on the right would scream about "liberal elites" being out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 36November 1, 2022 6:08 PM

These SC justices are afraid of getting pulverized by a hammer while they're sleeping.

by Anonymousreply 37November 1, 2022 6:20 PM

Then they should retire.

by Anonymousreply 38November 1, 2022 6:21 PM

Well, the SCOTUS just did right on Lindsey Graham's attempt to keep from testifying before the Atlanta D.A., so maybe they'll do right on this one too.

by Anonymousreply 39November 1, 2022 7:04 PM

I think Trump actually has a case on this. The Committee’s stated legislative purpose (examining whether the law on automatically auditing the President needs reform) strikes me as a fig leaf. The tax disclosure law should not be used as a weapon to dig around in a political opponent’s tax returns without any legitimate legislative purpose. It’s Trump this time. Next year it will be every Biden. A GOP House will abuse the hell out of this.

by Anonymousreply 40November 1, 2022 8:23 PM

You're right, R40. We should all be very worried that the GOP will get their hands on Joe Biden's tax returns. They might even get Kamala Harris's as well!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41November 1, 2022 8:36 PM

Hunter isn’t laughing.

by Anonymousreply 42November 1, 2022 9:03 PM

I seriously doubt Pres. Biden would give a fat rat's ass if his tax returns were made public. He's not a career criminal, like Trump.

by Anonymousreply 43November 1, 2022 11:10 PM

They need to be leaked.

This "playing fair" and "taking the high road" stuff has gotten us nowhere.

Hit back, hit hard.

by Anonymousreply 44November 1, 2022 11:23 PM

R14 why not just keep on adding justices. what does it matter the whole show is corrupt at this point.

by Anonymousreply 45November 2, 2022 12:08 AM

In biblical terms, it’s like God is on the side of the Pharoah.

by Anonymousreply 46November 2, 2022 1:20 AM

R40, it's not just that.... "Getting the requested information would let the committee assess whether legislation is needed to “address potentially significant problems with the Presidential Audit Program, presidential conflicts of interest, or other matters in the public interest."

by Anonymousreply 47November 3, 2022 6:39 AM

SCOTUS is illegitimate. Fuck them!

by Anonymousreply 48November 3, 2022 7:10 AM

This is a flagrantly transparent action to protect GOP candidates in the midterms.

by Anonymousreply 49November 3, 2022 7:41 AM

^ So when SCOTUS rejected Trump's classified records fight, that would be a flagrantly transparent action to bolster Dem candidates in the midterms? WTF

by Anonymousreply 50November 5, 2022 10:52 AM

The IRS always has had Trump's tax returns. If there was anything actually criminal there don't you think either Obama or Biden's appointees would have been prosecuted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51November 5, 2022 11:06 AM

Same song, second verse.

Bush v. Gore was all I needed to see when it came to answering the question of whether the USSC could maintain, at least, in the eyes of Americans, some modicum of perceived legitimacy.

As I stated in another thread, the US is a failed "experiment". It's living on the hump's back now and it has been for a long time.

Well, as the Chinese say, "May you live in interesting times". I was born in 1961, so I've seen it all, so that phrase has certainly come true for me.

by Anonymousreply 52November 5, 2022 11:14 AM

camel hump's back

by Anonymousreply 53November 5, 2022 11:15 AM

"They're so stupid, they can be robbed, over the phone, by gunpoint".

That describes the populace of the USA.

Speaking of camels, it's somehow poetic justice that the mighty USA! USA!'s final straw is Trump, a skilled Carnival Barker Corrupt Can-Man who managed to, with impunity, rip-off both Democracy and the US Treasury right before our very eyes.

And, the tragic punch-line is that, ultimately, that he could, isn't on him, but on Americans who willingly allowed it.

Turn the oven to OFF. The USA is done.

by Anonymousreply 54November 5, 2022 11:28 AM

SCOTUS released the to Congress just now

by Anonymousreply 55November 22, 2022 6:54 PM

Congress can have what it wants and the SCOTUS can't stand in the way.

by Anonymousreply 56November 22, 2022 7:06 PM

But can the Democratic House turn their investigation over to the Democratic Senate when the GOP takes over the House on January 3rd? If they try, Trump will sue, of course.

by Anonymousreply 57November 23, 2022 8:56 PM

Trump brags that he's a billionaire and paid just $750 in federal taxes the first 2 years he was president. What a disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 58November 23, 2022 9:02 PM

R57. The answer is yes. They could form a special committee tomorrow, even. They could then hire the same investigative and legal staff from the House side.

by Anonymousreply 59November 23, 2022 9:07 PM

[quote]if he let's them have Jabba's taxes.

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 60November 23, 2022 9:18 PM

^ police princess, rather

by Anonymousreply 61November 24, 2022 4:21 PM

North Korea loves me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62December 5, 2022 2:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!