Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you ever been so fucking broke…

That you even lost phone service?

Currently, I’m starting a temp job next week that will allow me to pay rent and catch up on my car payments.

I’m ordering a government phone, plus getting on SNAP and free internet. That’s how broke I’ve been.

And YEP, I’ve been working, and it’s still not covering it.

Anyone who isn’t on What’sApp or doesn’t have a. iPbone? I have no way of communicating with them. Our landline allows out of state calls to come in, but only a few out, before charging outlandish fees to my roommate, who is the homeowner.

It’s been REALLY tough.

I finally made a decision to really dig on, get a better job, and go for it.

It’s time to really fix my fucked up financial situation.

The only reason I can post on here, is because my roommate is allowing me to use his WiFi.

I cannot believe I’m in this situation, but here I am.

I just wanted to let others know who are downtrodden as a result of a financial crisis, to not lose hope.

Just become as proactive as possible, and it works.

Easier said than done, o know, but it’s the only way out.

I miss talking to my friends. They probably think I ghosting them.

I am absolutely not.

by Anonymousreply 90December 4, 2022 1:03 AM

You don't have any friends, Miss Dunaway

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2022 2:44 AM

LOL, R1!

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2022 2:46 AM

I've been there OP. Hang in there. You'll be okay. As long as you have your health, you have everything. You have your health, right?

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2022 2:49 AM

I was homeless. Before Obama phones came out, I signed up for an answering service for homeless folks. I couldn't take calls directly, but I could call in to check my messages and return calls. I had access to a computer with a printer and maintained a phone list I kept in my wallet.

The most important thing is to have a good social worker. Mine was aces.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2022 2:51 AM

OP, I understand and I can relate to what you're going through. It's awful, these days. I admire your strength and perseverance!

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2022 2:52 AM

[quote] Anyone who isn’t on What’sApp or doesn’t have a. iPbone? I have no way of communicating with them.

Why? iPhones can only call/text other iPhones?

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2022 2:55 AM

OP, what exactly are you doing for income? What is your age/education/location?

DL can be an excellent place to brainstorm, as long as trolls don’t invest your thread (lol).

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2022 3:02 AM

R3, thanks!

And yes, thankfully, I have my health.

My mental health has been suffering, however. I do believe that it seemed as though my mental health was improving, and then, BAM! It wasn’t.

I have a tele-health appointment coming up soon, where they’re referring me to a full on psychiatrist, in order to rule out whatever, and focus on me being on the right meds, and getting better.

I went through so much in the last 7 years, and CoViD made it all SOOO much worse. That’s OK. I’m aware of what’s happening, and I’m doing every single thing I can, in order to make things better.

Thanks to others who have also replied, and your encouraging, kind words. ❤️

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2022 3:17 AM

I had a dear friend who got an Obama phone.

And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2022 3:23 AM

How *old* are you, OP? We all want to know!

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2022 3:23 AM

There's no shame in that! Also, get thee a free Google voice number. you can use it inany browser on a computer and download Google voice ap and use it on wifi on any phone. it's free!

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2022 3:26 AM

Hey, just wanted to say that I’ve read some questions here& I will answer them tomorrow morning.

I’m attempting to fall asleep at a decent hour by listening to self help stuff online, because if not, I’m up till 4:00 am to 6:00 am.

I barely sleep. It’s gotten that bad.

Anyhow, goodnight everyone.

Sleep well! ❤️

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2022 3:38 AM

OP is 51. Horrors! 😱

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2022 3:44 AM

0/10 A landline that accepts incoming out-of-state calls, but metered service for outgoing? If his friends don't have an iPhone he can't communicate with them? Listening to self help tapes to fall asleep? Sorry, no.

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2022 4:08 AM

OP you have a great attitude.

Yes, I've been where you're at. I've been down to my last few dollars and had to borrow from friends. It was humiliating. But also motivating. I worked my ass off, like you are, and within a couple years? I was doing just fine. My friend paid back with interest.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2022 4:29 AM

You type Poors.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2022 4:31 AM

I can't imagine being so poor.

by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2022 3:04 AM

I got into this situation when I was in college.

I danced around naked to shitty music in bars for perverted old men to fix it.

Just a suggestion OP.

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2022 3:25 AM

OP you will break through to better days, the forward focus is what will support you as you build back. I wish you so much success!

by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2022 3:29 AM

Sniff, sniff.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2022 3:47 AM

OP = I love my food stamps..No Joke. I don't feel bad because the billionaires get their freebies. The rest of us should too.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2022 3:55 AM

Op, I have been broke enough that I had to steal toilet paper from the mall bathroom or laundromat bathroom. You just keep plugging on and things slowly get better. But, don't be surprised if you never trust that it will stay better. Once you have been extremely poor you live in fear of it forever.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2022 4:19 AM

I'm cute and have low morals. Thankfully I have always been able to rely on the generosity of gentlemen callers...

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2022 4:41 AM

Yet here you are on the Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2022 5:47 AM

R24 = Job?...You mean work? oh no...I just couldn't. Who would entertain all my married male friends?...

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2022 6:14 AM

Sniff, sniff.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2022 6:20 AM

R22, there is nothing wrong with taking toilet paper from the mall bathroom. Just like taking condiments from restaurants etc.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2022 6:30 AM

Nothing wrong until the next guy needs to wipe or wants catsup on his french fries.

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2022 6:34 AM

OP - I totally feel you! I'm an in my own financial quagmire and it really sucks. Where there is a will, there is a way. We'll get through it!

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2022 6:45 AM

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2022 6:52 AM

There's over a thousand different ways to make easy money in America. Best of luck to you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2022 8:23 AM

Obama phone.

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2022 3:01 PM

Does this program apply in TX. Trying to get my dad a cellphone

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2022 3:31 PM

OP, also check out dscout

by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2022 4:05 PM

Poverty sucks.

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2022 5:12 PM

Everyone is hiring. You type lazy

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2022 5:36 PM

I was going to say.. If OP has been working and has a roommate, where is the money going? Or does it not pay enough to cover basic rent and bills?

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2022 5:39 PM

The Lifeline program started under the Regan administration. Now you know, You can stop calling it "Obama Phone".

At this point, you're just a stupid racist republicunt.

by Anonymousreply 38October 23, 2022 5:55 PM

Reading likely isn't OP's talents. Here's the Cliff Notes version. You can shut the fuck up now, Karen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 23, 2022 5:59 PM

Sunds like you're in a halfway house, OP. C'mon, give us the WHOLE story.

by Anonymousreply 40October 23, 2022 6:12 PM

When I was in my 20s, I was poor. Half of my paycheck went to rent, I also had car insurance, groceries, utilities, school loans, dental bills. I was living on peanut butter and potatoes. I took a part time job working evenings and weekends at a cafeteria in a mall because we got to eat a free meal the days we worked. I got through this period somehow. I vowed I would never be in that situation again.

I have great empathy for the poor.

by Anonymousreply 41October 23, 2022 6:12 PM

I have wealth but it's pretty much all tied up so I often have liquidity problems.

by Anonymousreply 42October 23, 2022 6:38 PM

R42 then you're not managing your wealth (or spending) properly if it causes you to be as broke as the OP is.

by Anonymousreply 43October 23, 2022 6:40 PM

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. 💪

by Anonymousreply 44October 23, 2022 6:51 PM

You're right r43, if you add a dollop of legal stuff.

by Anonymousreply 45October 23, 2022 6:52 PM

I have. When I was 21, I had short periods of homelessness and probably 2ish years where I bounced from one apartment to another, had a long string of bad roommates, and worked piss poor minimum wage jobs.

I had several stretches were I had no phone, because my roommates had all dialed phone sex lines on our phones and ran up the bill so high I couldn't get service any more. (Later, I learned I could get local service and did.)

I stole from work, I admit it - never money, but when I worked at a fast food restaurant, I helped myself to TP and paper towels every so often. And if we had overages, or precut things (we made club sandwiches and parts of that were precut) that were slated to be thrown out, I took it home. When I worked at a convenience store, I helped myself to a drink now and then.

I have no idea what kind of landline service you have now where a long distance call would cost very much.....since they are unlimited on mobile the idea that they're expensive on landlines is confusing.

Google calls are free - Skype is not quite free but $10 of credit will buy a lot of minutes. I think phone cards are still being sold, too.

I'm sure you are not being wasteful, but keep a tight rein on your money and spending. Don't get into a scenario where you bounce a check. I started paying bills in cash or with a US Postal Service money order, because businesses would take 4 weeks to cash a check and then I'd be fucked because it bounced. Balance your checkbook.

And if you're close enough to where you work, or can work...consider giving up your car. It might be your most valuable asset.

I wish you luck.

by Anonymousreply 46October 23, 2022 6:52 PM

This thread would be more edifying if people would explain how they got themselves in that situation. It would be helpful to others to know what mistakes to avoid making.

by Anonymousreply 47October 23, 2022 6:57 PM

Go point, R47. Some issues that seem to always come up: not getting at the very least a high school diploma, not getting experience then moving on to a more responsible position, credit card debt, medical catastrophe, addiction, not being money or financial savvy, and just living beyond one's means.

by Anonymousreply 48October 23, 2022 7:24 PM

Well r47, I was born to a teen parent, moved out when I was 11 and had zero familial financial support at any point in my life. So I guess, have a family or spouse.

by Anonymousreply 49October 23, 2022 7:38 PM

Hey DL,

OP here!

I’m doing much better today. I’m not in any fear and despair as I have been in, the last few months.

I’ve had some really good realizations.

The biggest realization I have recently had, is that MANY of us, myself included, have had many financial challenges during and post CoViD, and that’s not the end of the world. All of us have recovered from financial hardships.

Second thing I realize, is that just as many of us here, who have faced financial hardships, many of us here, have also faced mental health challenges.

Such as myself.

I am not alone.

The above being said, I FINALLY realized that I should be proud of myself for not completely falling apart.

I have worked consistently, with small blocks of not working in between gigs.

Yes, I’m behind on everything, but I’m still making payments and paying rent.

I’ll eventually get my original phone on again, and many other things will also be resolved.

The most important thing here, is that I refuse to give up. I am determined to fix this mostly on my own, because financially, I certainly know I can, and will

I need help with specialized mental health professionals, in order to become assured that I’m not making bad decisions for my health, by getting off almost all of my meds, without check with an actual psychiatrist, first.

I’m good. I love you guys.

Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 50October 23, 2022 7:58 PM

R47 = Taffy Davenport

by Anonymousreply 51October 23, 2022 8:04 PM

R47, great insight!

by Anonymousreply 52October 23, 2022 8:06 PM

R47 I came out to my family and was...well, I can't say I was kicked out but it was suggested that perhaps I not come home. I had to leave school, etc. So I lived hand to mouth for a few years.

Many people have at least some buffer where parents or a family member can help cover gaps as you start spreading your wings to fly. But while my family and I are cordial now, it took time for that adjustment.

And during that time, I was living on $20-25 a week for groceries, any bus fare, etc.

by Anonymousreply 53October 23, 2022 8:08 PM

R33 = Look up lifeline service....Or go to safe link...

by Anonymousreply 54October 24, 2022 12:01 AM

In all seriousness OP, if you have a vehicle, have you considered a side hustle like Door Dash or Amazon Flex?

I do both and it really does help. I had to move abruptly a couple of months ago and that really burned a hole in my pocket and threw me off. DD and AF have been helping me catch up. You can get out of the house, almost never have to talk to anyone as it's 99% a solitary gig, and make some extra cash. I'd look into it if that's an option you can take advantage of.

by Anonymousreply 55October 24, 2022 1:43 AM

Meant to put the link for Amazon Flex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 24, 2022 1:46 AM

[quote]I have worked consistently, with small blocks of not working in between gigs

Gigs?

Are you a musician or something?

by Anonymousreply 57October 24, 2022 1:52 AM

It seems like there are a number of people who need to start or resume being an adult by getting a regular 9 to 5 job.

by Anonymousreply 58October 24, 2022 3:24 AM

I've thought about this and have to add, I don't know what I would do in the same situation today.

I hit this stretch of my life in the early 90s in the so called "rust belt" - and that was a more affordable time in so many ways. When I finally found an affordable apartment of my own, a studio, it was $100 a month. Granted, you had to turn sideways to walk through one of the hallways and the door locked with a chain link and a padlock, but that bitch was cheap!

I can't imagine being able to rent anything now when rental prices are just so high.

OP, did anyone ask you....where ARE you, anyway? Curious where you live, certainly some places have a higher cost of living.

by Anonymousreply 59October 24, 2022 2:47 PM

R27 that is not being poor - that is being GHETTO. Do you also chew and screw with a large bucket of fried chicken?

by Anonymousreply 60October 26, 2022 4:27 PM

Why do you have to have an iPhone, the most expensive phone there is. You can buy a really good phone for the quarter of an iPhone price.

by Anonymousreply 61October 26, 2022 4:37 PM

I've sunk to the lowest of the low, and I'm so ashamed. I had to pathetically call my wealthy sister and ask her for $3K to replace the entire exhaust system on my 2009 car, which is rotted out .... but she's 3 states away, with a Parkinson's Dementia husband, and I need to be able to go there whenever she needs help and support. Depressed and conflicted.

by Anonymousreply 62October 26, 2022 4:54 PM

Uber eats delivery saved my ass from not making rent and being kicked out. I literally had 200 in my bank account 2 weeks before having to pay rent. And I didnt even need a car, because I lived in NYC and had the option to do walking deliveries (also a great way to get in some exercize)

I had my gas turned off because I missed a couple of bills but that was because I forgot to pay them.

I also did go through an entire year of basically eating rice because I couldnt afford much more...or I could but I had a 10$ a day smoking habit then so, you know, priorities.

by Anonymousreply 63October 26, 2022 5:09 PM

I can't believe Darfour orphan hasn't shown up yet.

Seriously OP, it sounds like you know how to scramble and keep one step ahead of the street so keep it up. Being poor is is exhausting. It's also expensive with all the late fees, overdraft charges, high interest rates, emergency expenses, beater cars, deposits, lack of credit...I know, I lived like a fucking refugee for years working at a minimum wage job.

Hang on to your belief that it will get better because it will.

by Anonymousreply 64October 26, 2022 5:18 PM

Hey guys, OP here!

I just wanted to give you all an update.

I’m doing well!

Currently, I’m stuck at home with CoViD, but here’s the scoop:

I recently landed a new job. I’m clearing a little bit over 5K/monthly, after taxes. I’m really happy and love my new job. I’m working with a fantastic team and enjoy going to work.

I had worked at the new job for 2 weeks, and then I got CoViD, so I’m home right now, attempting to recover so that I may be there bright and early this coming Monday morning, but aside from the illness, things are rapidly changing into normal and positive scenarios.

I’m going over a financial plan which I’ve drawn up to get out of debt quickly, and I believe everything is going to be OK.

My head is in a really good place right now. I feel strong. I’m sober. I’m happy. I’m alive and well!

Yay!!!

Everything is going to be OK. And I will keep on striving to do more and get more for myself and my beautiful cat.

Thanks so much for your emotional support, DL. I genuinely appreciate it! 🤗

That is all. ❤️

by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2022 11:02 AM

[quote]I’m doing well!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 2, 2022 11:16 AM

OP I had my version of many concerns you’ve mentioned. Stay the course & continue to be proud of yourself. Stay engaged w the possibilities. Don’t dwell on the limitations. I was dead broke for about 3 years while training for the job that would get me out of the hole. It worked.

by Anonymousreply 67December 2, 2022 11:32 AM

Congratulations to you, OP. You did it! That's so amazing. There's always ups and downs, please always remember you did it once - which means you understand you're worth it. Keep at it with the confidence now you can handle what comes. I'm very pleased for you.

by Anonymousreply 68December 2, 2022 11:38 AM

To people on this thread who posted things like "I had a dear friend who got an Obama phone. And then she died." and "You don't have any friends, Miss Dunaway." You're not funny and you're not kind. Maybe have a little think.

by Anonymousreply 69December 2, 2022 11:39 AM

Yes, I've been that broke. Its fucking hard to get out of too. However, I learned some things about myself and my habits. We're in a tight situation now, but we haven't lost hope. You have a good attitude OP, good luck to you.

by Anonymousreply 70December 2, 2022 11:40 AM

Can you use Google Voice or Skype? Some cities like NYC have kiosks that permit free wifi calls.

by Anonymousreply 71December 2, 2022 11:44 AM

Your roommate *allows* you to use his wifi? Generous guy.

by Anonymousreply 72December 2, 2022 11:52 AM

Dear OP: you will get through this. You’re taking steps to handle your mental health and be a proactive part of society. Please stay on whatever meds they give you that work and keep up with your therapy. Don’t be a Britney, you see her slipping away because she’s stopped therapy, never bothered to take the meds her father had her on and she’s drinking alcohol now. You will live your best life if you stay on the same path you’re given , which is strict but will give you a life back. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 73December 2, 2022 11:57 AM

Congratulations, OP!! I’m so happy for you.

by Anonymousreply 74December 2, 2022 1:45 PM

How wonderful OP, genuinely pleased to find this post, scroll and see that things are turning out well for you. All the best in the new year.

by Anonymousreply 75December 2, 2022 1:56 PM

It’s a good thing I have an Obama phone!

by Anonymousreply 76December 2, 2022 1:59 PM

OP you need to discover the Public Library. THey have free computers you can use.

by Anonymousreply 77December 2, 2022 2:07 PM

R77 Not when the pedos are playing worlds on them all day!

by Anonymousreply 78December 2, 2022 2:08 PM

Wordle**

by Anonymousreply 79December 2, 2022 2:09 PM

TPTB will never allow you to "fix" your sitch, OP. They want you broke and dead so may as well get a head start and get MaiD boy.

by Anonymousreply 80December 2, 2022 2:29 PM

Meh. Being poor is soooo boring.

by Anonymousreply 81December 2, 2022 11:09 PM

Finally something positive on here.

Glad you're doing better, OP.

by Anonymousreply 82December 3, 2022 3:40 AM

Trying to get ahead these days is a joke. Everything costs more. I buy the same shit every week at the grocery store and my bill has almost doubled since two years ago. Do you know what hasn't gone up? Our pay. We are all literally getting poorer without doing anything differently.

It's crazy making.

by Anonymousreply 83December 3, 2022 4:47 AM

R69 resident lesbian chiming in. This thread is NOT funny!

by Anonymousreply 84December 3, 2022 6:04 AM

I'm now envisioning rescue-chik being in some youthful gang with a bunch of other scrappy lesbian girls. What does an 11-year old kid do without parents? Glad you made it out RC.

by Anonymousreply 85December 3, 2022 7:44 AM

When I was poor I had Cricket and rode the bus or my bicycle to work.

by Anonymousreply 86December 3, 2022 7:53 AM

What is free internet? Did you get it, op?

I hope you are doing better. Remember, you are a beautiful unique soul, you are not your income.

by Anonymousreply 87December 3, 2022 7:55 AM

Some free courses for your free internet, OP. I like your attitude. Good luck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 3, 2022 9:46 AM

Your responses are so, so sweet!

Thanks, DL!

by Anonymousreply 89December 4, 2022 12:53 AM

Learn real survival skills.

by Anonymousreply 90December 4, 2022 1:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!