Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hampton’s Byron Perkins is first openly Gay HBCU Football Player

Byron Perkins, a defensive back for the Hampton University Pirates, was in a dark spot a month ago. He wasn’t being authentic to himself and it was causing pressure in his life, he told Outsports.

LATEST VIDEO FROM SB NATION Peyton Manning: golden boy, playoff choker ... Legend

Over the last month, he had realized that being in the closet as a gay man was eating at him. And that needed to change.

“I’ve been self-reflective and trying to prioritize what makes me happy and makes me feel alive,” he said. “I thought it could be just football and school, but there was a component missing. And recently I’ve been able to figure out that I haven’t been fully happy because everyone didn’t know who I was. Authenticity is everything to me.”

Today he came out publicly as gay in a powerful message of love for everyone in his life.

“I’ve decided that I’m going to make a change, and stop running away from myself,” Perkins wrote on Instagram. “I’m gay, let it be known that this is not a ‘decision’ or a ‘choice.’ Yes, this is who I am, this is who I’ve been, and this is who I’m going to be.

“Simply put, I am who I am.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 14, 2023 11:04 PM

He is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2022 3:53 PM

Congratulations!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2022 3:54 PM

Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2022 3:57 PM

King 👑 🏈

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2022 4:05 PM

When he gets fucked does he say "Yeah son" or "Kill me with that dick, niggá!"?

Or is he a snow queen like that Shaun T Insanity guy?

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2022 4:07 PM

🙄🙄🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2022 4:08 PM

Congrats to Mr. Perkins.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2022 4:17 PM

Love him

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2022 4:20 PM

Nice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2022 3:50 AM

Cutie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2022 9:59 AM

He’s a cutie, but I bet some kween tried to blackmail him with a crazy ploy and this was a great way for him to snuff it out!

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2022 10:35 AM

Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2022 11:33 AM

Proud of him. And it helps that he's hot too.

by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2022 12:26 PM

Now let's see if DL supports this guy as much as they support that rightwing douchebag Carl Nassib. Probably not.

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2022 12:30 PM

Great interview with Tamron Hall. The part with his mother is moving @ 7:25.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2022 12:36 PM

Only 15 comments on this? Sad.

by Anonymousreply 16December 2, 2022 12:06 PM

It is. Demonstrates that the stereotype about white gay men is true

by Anonymousreply 17December 2, 2022 12:45 PM

R17, Carl Nassib gets like 500 comments on his threads and he's a rightwing douchebag and you see all these excuses made for his Trump/MAGA support. Yet Byron gets nothing?

by Anonymousreply 18December 2, 2022 1:09 PM

I have a gay cousin who chose to attend a HBCU while being very out about it. I thought he had lost his mind, but he actually enjoyed the experience, and made lots of friends. He's a successful man today, and is very confident and comfortable about himself. I hope to see more of this in the Black community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 2, 2022 1:33 PM

R19, I'm really glad that he had that experience. Not black but I'm happy whenever other minorities have positive experiences in adolescence/early-adulthood being gay. It can be really rough.

by Anonymousreply 20December 2, 2022 2:17 PM

Would it be wrong for me to ask for Santa to put Byron under my tree?

by Anonymousreply 21December 2, 2022 3:14 PM

[Quote]Not black but I'm happy whenever other minorities have positive experiences in adolescence/early-adulthood being gay. It can be really rough.

R20 His mother is very much a gay ally. She was one of the first people I told when I came out (as a young adult), and she was completely accepting of it. So was her mother, who also had gay friends. When my cousin's son came out to her at the age of 13, she immediately found positive role models for him, especially Black male ones. As a result, he learned how to easily deal with the negative attitudes most gaylings encounter while growing up. I sure wish I had that type of support while growing up back then; I envy him a bit for that.

by Anonymousreply 22December 2, 2022 3:24 PM

R21, it would be wrong if you didn't.

R22, I hear you. I wish I had positive gay male adults in my life as an adolescent. Or even straight ally adults.

by Anonymousreply 23December 2, 2022 3:55 PM

What a sweet young man! He had me in tears. Mama is hot but she needs to work with a make up artist, because that red lipstick is not working.

by Anonymousreply 24December 2, 2022 4:21 PM

When his mama said she could see the weight lifting off him, that he had been burdened, in a box, and couldn't be himself until he came out, that really really got to me.

by Anonymousreply 25December 2, 2022 4:22 PM

Heroic

by Anonymousreply 26December 3, 2022 6:05 PM

Beautiful

by Anonymousreply 27December 3, 2022 6:06 PM

She’s a broke down whore from Hampton University with a hot box!

by Anonymousreply 28December 3, 2022 6:09 PM

He's getting a little heat online for fucking with white guys despite being at an HBCU, and allegedly he put on a show at a sex party with a white dude.

TBH with a body, looks and popularity like that Im not surprised. I hope he wasn't forced out by some hoe, but either way he's winning

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 4, 2022 4:04 PM

R29, those pictures are him (most likely). Not sure why he's getting hate. He's young and he attended a sex party, so what?

by Anonymousreply 30December 4, 2022 4:25 PM

r30 I dont think its about him attending sex party or being on grindr. Its more about him being with white men which is now a stereotype for black guys of any prominence who come out publicly. And even more so because he's at Hampton University, which is likely one of the best places to find other college aged black guys who are gay and talented.

by Anonymousreply 31December 4, 2022 4:36 PM

R31, got it. For me, I think what's worse is when people of a certain race only find their own people attractive and think all others are ugly.

by Anonymousreply 32December 4, 2022 4:39 PM

It's the same with hetero players who only date white girls. They see whites as a prize once they've "made it."

by Anonymousreply 33December 4, 2022 5:03 PM

Wait, he was fucking one white guy on a sex party. Those 10 minutes make people believe he only dates white men? Jeez...

by Anonymousreply 34December 4, 2022 6:41 PM

Stop 🛑

by Anonymousreply 35December 4, 2022 6:44 PM

He's getting a lot of heat online for his white boyfriend who is 15 years older than him....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36June 14, 2023 10:45 PM

good for her!

by Anonymousreply 37June 14, 2023 10:51 PM

Good for him but I'm concerned for his physical well-being. HBCUs. Are well known for being homophobic

by Anonymousreply 38June 14, 2023 10:56 PM

He'll be in West Hollywood and Palm Springs after he is graduated. Everyone will want him to be at their parties.

by Anonymousreply 39June 14, 2023 11:00 PM

r38 he graduated....off to WeHo and Palm Springs he goes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40June 14, 2023 11:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!