Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

For days when you're too beat to cook--

What frozen, packaged or canned foods do you recommend? Humus or cheese and crackers can only go so far.

Stouffer's Lasagna duly noted

by Anonymousreply 276January 18, 2023 11:53 PM

I always have a few prepared dinners from the local deli, because I have a lot of nights like that

Or I just boil up some egg noodles with a couple of scoops of Cheez-Whiz šŸ¤—

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2022 9:09 PM

Fruit, salad, cheese and baguette will suffice when I do not cook.

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2022 9:10 PM

Donā€™t hate me but, I keep a couple of small Wendyā€™s chilis in my freezer. Itā€™s perfect when I donā€™t feel like cooking.

Hillshire Farms snack pack thingies. It has some meat, cheese, and crackers. Perfect with a glass of wine.

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2022 9:26 PM

This is most days for me. I often will just eat cheese or some sliced light salami, baby carrots or sugar snap peas with hummus, and maybe some fruit for dinner.

I also I keep canned Lentil soup around; pre-bagged Caesar salads, ramen, cup noodles, EVOL frozen burritos, and Spaghettios. Before you pearl clutch, I never claimed to be a gourmet.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2022 9:30 PM

Trader Joe's frozen dinners, mostly Indian.

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2022 9:31 PM

[quote]Trader Joe's frozen dinners, mostly Indian.

Same here. Or an Amy's frozen bowl or an Indian meal kit, the kind in a pouch you warm up on the stovetop. While that heats I use the rice cooker, which is also minimal fuss.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2022 9:34 PM

I've had good luck with Amy's frozen dinners, particularly the Mexican-inspired dishes. Depending on where you live, you can get them at CVS if you have to work late and just can't with the supermarket aisles.

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2022 9:35 PM

Frozen egg rolls, yum !

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2022 9:42 PM

I keep zip lock baggies in the freezer of a combination of ground beef and turkey. About 6 oz. or so. They defrost quickly because I flatten the meat before I put it in the freezer. They defrost in the microwave quickly too.

Brown the meat, add half of a taco packet, add a small can of corn, add a small can of black beans. Serve with shredded cheese and tortilla chips. Dinner in minutes.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2022 9:43 PM

I'm fine with salami and cheese as well R4 -- I don't make a sandwich, I just eat a few slices of each.

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2022 9:45 PM

I alway have frozen ravioli in my freezer and I freeze sauce when I make it. Actually I can pull out a number of homemade meals from my freezer. When I cook I cook more than I need and freeze in individual containers.

Breakfast for dinner is easy and comforting, eggs, French toast, pancakes, oatmeal all take around 5 minutes to make.

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2022 9:52 PM

There are lots of very good frozen Asian foods: dim sum (such as bao buns, potstickers, siu mai and other dumplings), chicken kara age, tempura shrimp, scallion pancakes, etc. If you don't have an Asian supermarket nearby, Trader Joe's and Costco have some good items.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2022 9:54 PM

Go over to my mom's house šŸ˜‰

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2022 9:56 PM

FYI - the very best frozen pizza is HOME RUN INN pizza, which originated in a Chicago-area tavern. It's hard to find, though .... last year, our Boston-area Market Basket supermarkets stocked it, then it disappeared. Then I saw it in an Aldi in Rutland, VT! Generous toppings, and the cheese is really good.

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2022 9:57 PM

upstairs?

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2022 9:57 PM

Here's how I anticipate those days: whenever I cook something significant, like a Yankee pot roast with vegetables, or my mom's 1960s pork chops & sauteed onions baked in mushroom soup, I let it sit in the fridge overnight to develop flavors, then re-portion into single-serving containers and freeze. I also do this when I make a big batch of homemade creamy mashed potatoes.

Then, all you have to do is microwave the frozen portions, quickly boil up some frozen veg, maybe make a salad (or not, if it's too much trouble) and you have a hot, home-cooked meal in minutes. Economical, too

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2022 10:07 PM

I get too lazy, or I'm not too hungry at dinnertime. I'll have my dinner at breakfast the next day. I enjoy a good breakfast. I buy fresh, homemade soups at a local supermarket, freeze it...have frozen pastas and jarred sauce (Rao's)....or I'll make a salad. I don't like to cook, so I always look for an easy way to have fresh meals. There's always take-out, too.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2022 10:48 PM

[quote] "Fruit, salad, cheese and baguette will suffice when I do not cook."

I usually do meal prep every weekend, but same, R2.

[quote] "Donā€™t hate me but, I keep a couple of small Wendyā€™s chilis in my freezer. Itā€™s perfect when I donā€™t feel like cooking."

This is actually a good idea, R3. I don't mind Wendy's chili. But I want hot sauce & sour cream with it, ideally.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2022 11:20 PM

I always keep a few jars of Rao's soup - Italian Wedding and Minestrone - in the pantry. A bowl of that with some crusty bread, I'm happy.

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2022 11:49 PM

Stouffers Swedish Meatballs, yes GAWD, hunny!

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2022 11:51 PM

So buy some, you cheap West Virginian bitch!

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2022 11:53 PM

I make and freeze dinners for myself - beans, pasta, soups etc.

You need to know how to use a microwave.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2022 11:54 PM

Could be worse, R20. I'm fond of Stouffer's S. O. S. myself.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2022 11:56 PM

Another fan of Amyā€™s frozen bowl meals. Especially the Mexican food kind.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2022 11:58 PM

Fresh/refrigerated ravioli with garlic, olive oil, parmesan, and a salad

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2022 12:00 AM

make your own tv dinners on your day off - do your weekly/monthly cookingly mostly on one day, so you can have a more balanced meal without so much fuss.

Or there's always ramen. . . whether it's prepack or buying the ingredients separately (better choice of noodles, soup stock, veggies, meat, etc). The smaller rice cookers work well for this sort of thing, better if it has a steamer option, so you can beef it up... though there are electric bento cookers that some enjoy for the same convenience, even though it's a frivolous buy.

instant miso can also good. it tends to be hardy than just broth.

or just have yourself a fag... it drives off the hunger pangs.

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2022 12:09 AM

Purple Carrot and similar food companies have good meals and you can buy them at Target. Iā€™m pretty sure most are plant-based, and theyā€™re really good.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2022 12:45 AM

I ā¤ļø going to my local Jenny Craig center for my weekā€™s worth of frozen entrees and snacks. All I buy at Schnucks is Almond milk, Greek yogurt, whole almonds, produce and a container of Starbucks blonde roast iced coffee. No cooking!!

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2022 1:03 AM

date an elder to get dinner for two delivered by meals on wheels.

nature's credit card pays for everything. . . you don't have to do much but lie there and occasionally groan.

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2022 1:07 AM

R29 why would anyone copy what you are doing???

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2022 1:14 AM

Stouffer's turkey Tettrozini.

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2022 1:41 AM

r30 you've never been on a real date, have you?

by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2022 2:19 AM

I hope you all eating prepared food are under 40 and are in perfect health. Everyone over 40 needs to limit their daily sodium intake to 1500 mgs.

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2022 2:31 AM

I love Home Run Inn Pizza, but they're about $13 where I live. I can get a real pizza for that price (but Home Run Inn are damn good, even at $13). I used to love them, but lately can't eat any pizza or anything with too much cheese or dairy without feeling sick to my stomach.

I usually have a couple Amy's black bean enchiladas and a couple Marie Callendar chicken pot pies in the freezer. They're the only frozen meals I ever buy because I'm more likely to cook and I do freeze things.

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2022 2:33 AM

Buy a whole roasted chicken. You can steam or roast some vegetable(s), or make a salad. Nothing too involved. For me, the chicken is good for three meals/dinners.

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2022 2:36 AM

Progresso canned soups. E.g., chicken & wild rice, Chickarina.

Red Baron frozen pepperoni singles "deep dish" pizzas. I eat 2 at a time.

Frozen mandu or mandoo (Korean dumplings), heated up, of course.

Black ramen, Nongshim brand. The one in the flat, square packet is better than the one in the cup (cup noodle style).

Freezing the Wendy's chili sounds like a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2022 2:38 AM

When I'm too tired to cook, but still hungry for something, I make some eggs and toast. Some weeks I have had that for dinner 3-4 nights.

I'm also a fan of certain Progresso canned soups, like Split Pea and Italian Wedding. That's two minutes in the microwave, with some toast, a bagel, or crackers.

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2022 2:39 AM

I'm another fan of Progresso canned soups.

by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2022 2:40 AM

Yeah, scrambled eggs with cheese is a good idea. If you have some salsa & sour cream, even better.

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2022 2:41 AM

Omelets with anything thrown in. Arugula, chicken sausage, frozen peas, etc.

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2022 3:03 AM

Sangwich.

by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2022 3:03 AM

If you like liverwurst, the other day I bought some (good quality, not cheap) and also bought an insanely good baguette from a french bakery...that, bagueete and liverwurst spread, was all my dinner and probably the one I most enjoyed this week. Sometimes there is nothing but simple but good products. If you don't like liverwurst, feel free to replace it with some good salami, or ham, or prosciutto.

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2022 4:16 AM

[quote] "So buy some, you cheap West Virginian bitch!"

I will. And I'll think of you after I eat it, R21. About six-eight hours after.

by Anonymousreply 43October 20, 2022 5:49 AM

^ šŸ˜‚

If there's one thing I've learned on DL even the most innocuous comment about Wendy's chili will rile someone up enough to call you a "cheap bitch"

by Anonymousreply 44October 20, 2022 6:30 AM

$2 each, yummy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 20, 2022 6:42 AM

CostCo had these things called Chicken Melts that I liked. They seemed to stop carrying them but I was able to find them at a few indie stores. They are 1/2 of a pita, with a thin, nicely seasoned chicken patty and slice of cheese. 1 minute in the microwave and it's a nice little meal with a piece of fruit on the side. I love crispy apples, melon, plums, raspberries or a chilled orange. It works as an easy, light dinner. If I'm starving, I'll micro two of them.

by Anonymousreply 46October 20, 2022 6:52 AM

Have a Lactaid, r34.

by Anonymousreply 47October 20, 2022 7:08 AM

Theee little smiles of oranges.

by Anonymousreply 48October 20, 2022 7:09 AM

I like Bertolli frozen skillet meals - dump the bag contents in a skillet, cover, and cook for about 10-15 minutes. And itā€™s enough for 2 meals. I also like frozen gyoza (dumplings), other frozen Asian food. Like others, I also keep frozen leftovers to microwave when Iā€™m not in a cooking mood.

by Anonymousreply 49October 20, 2022 7:31 AM

r47 just add ginger. ginger cures everything...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50October 20, 2022 7:41 AM

I like to make stroganoff. Itā€™s so easy. Just boil some noodles and whip some fresh cream. I like to form my own meatballs and then a simple flash grill. Chop up some mushrooms or whatever veggies you like. Simmer for an hour and wala! A wonderful Greek meal for 2.

by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2022 7:59 AM

R51, did you even read the OP?

by Anonymousreply 52October 20, 2022 8:26 AM

This brand (Tasty Bite) makes surprisingly decent pouched Indian food. Just needs heating up and tbh I usually don't bother. The only one I don't like too much is the Bombay Potato variety, because the potatoes feel dry to me. The lentils ones are my favourite. I buy these in Canada but they're in the US too. Not sure about UK or elsewhere.

President's Choice Buttermilk Breaded Chicken Fillets are my extremely guilty pleasure, because they remind me of the way KFC used to taste in the 80s/90s when no one gave a fuck about MSG and trans fats etc. To be clear they're not the same, but there's something there.

Agree with the poster who said Nongshim Black instant ramen. That shit fully lives up to the hype.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53October 20, 2022 8:31 AM

Those Tasty Bite meals are, for convenience food, pretty high quality when it comes to the ingredients. Not a lot of crap in them.

by Anonymousreply 54October 20, 2022 8:32 AM

These premade salad kits are really good. Buy a rotisserie chicken and add the chicken to the salad and you have a meal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55October 20, 2022 8:41 AM

Anything Italian, Lasagna, meatball marinara, ziti, etc. A hearty canned soup on cold days is awesome, split pea with ham, lentils with sausage, etc, you can always add rice or a baked potato... I like grits and eggs with toast anytime of day, brings back fond family memories of childhood... :-)

by Anonymousreply 56October 20, 2022 8:59 AM

Tuna fish salad

And/or pre-made salad kits from Trader Joe's/Whole Foods with some almonds thrown in

Depends how hungry I am

by Anonymousreply 57October 20, 2022 9:10 AM

[quote] A hearty canned soup on cold days

[quote] some crusty bread,

So many DLers are clearly advertising copywriters

by Anonymousreply 58October 20, 2022 9:11 AM

Grits, yes

by Anonymousreply 59October 20, 2022 9:16 AM

R49 I like those too, or at least I did. The last couple times I've gotten one, Bertolli's quality control on the assembly line appears to be lacking. In one bag, I had massive chunks of broccoli, but just a couple of pieces of chicken. In another, the little blocks of frozen Alfredo sauce were nearly non-existent. In the past, the packages have always been very uniform and consistent with the right amount of ingredients, but these two back-to-back flukes basically ruined both meals. They aren't exactly cheap either, so one expects them to be better. I think I'll give them another try, but will check things out before cooking next time, in case I have to return it for a refund.

by Anonymousreply 60October 20, 2022 9:32 AM

Something from the chilled section - quiche, pastries, pies. Bagged salad is useful.

by Anonymousreply 61October 20, 2022 9:36 AM

I have gotten projectile-vomiting food poisoning 3 times from pre-washed bagged salad, but I hate to wash lettuce so much that i still eat it.

by Anonymousreply 62October 20, 2022 9:48 AM

Cooked and cleaned shrimp was on sale this week so I bought a pound of that and ate it with cocktail sauce for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 63October 20, 2022 10:14 AM

R63 I was literally about to post this. I have done this too. Good for when you're watching your weight too, shrimp have remarkably low calories.

by Anonymousreply 64October 20, 2022 12:05 PM

[quote] I have gotten projectile-vomiting food poisoning 3 times from pre-washed bagged salad,

And I have eaten the ones from TJs and WF about twice a week on average for the past 10 years and have never once gotten sick.

by Anonymousreply 65October 20, 2022 1:25 PM

I always have cartons of low sodium or no sodium chicken stock on hand. Better yet, take a day over the weekend to make your own and freeze it in whatever portion size works for you. If you also freeze shredded chicken and chopped veggies, you can pull together a hearty bowl of healthy soup in no time flat (especially if you have an InstantPot).

by Anonymousreply 66October 20, 2022 1:54 PM

r51 Stroganoff is not Greek. And it has sour cream, not cream. And pieces of beef, not meatballs.

by Anonymousreply 67October 20, 2022 2:07 PM

[quote]Stouffer's turkey Tettrozini.

Oh, dear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 20, 2022 2:07 PM

Those Barber Foods Brand chicken cordon bleu and Chicken Kiev are very good.

I've yet to find a good canned soup, but you can get good broths and stocks at the store. Mix a box of chicken broth with 2 cans of fire roasted tomatoes for a really delicious soup base, then add cooked chicken (like Tyson) and a bag of frozen veggies that you like.

Seapak has a shrimp scampi that is delicious. It has too much sauce so I'd buy a box of the Seapak, a small bag of frozen shrimp without sauce, and heat them up together in a saute pan. Add some grape tomatoes to it and serve with pasta.

by Anonymousreply 69October 20, 2022 2:20 PM

Another easy dinner is a variation on Eggs in Purgatory. I like to heat up some Rao's, then portion a ladle or two into a small casserole, then gently top with 2 eggs. Add a little salt and pepper to the eggs, and some cream or cheese if you want it, and bake until the whites are set, probably about 10 minutes or less. I have it with salad and/or toast or French bread, whatever I have in the house.

by Anonymousreply 70October 20, 2022 2:24 PM

Make fun of me if you want, but I live and die with Costco. They sell a brand if Chicken Tikka Masala that is out of this world good. It's already cooked and comes in two pouches. You can get two or three servings out of each pouch. I always keep Tasty Bites Madras Lentils around to serve with it. It takes all of 10 minutes to heat it and serve it. I also use Costco's Ravioli Lasagna Bolognese > I buy it fresh, slice it into 6 serving squares, and freeze it. It takes about 35-40 minutes to heat and serve along with a salad. Costco has a lot of frozen foods worth having around. Chicken tenders, fish, Talapia, Cod, Salmon, etc. Every two or three months I pick up a few things to keep for the vdays when I have no energy or I'm bored with my own cooking. Now on the flip side, on the weekends when I feel like cooking. I prepare chili, or soup, and roast a piece of pork loin or a beef pot roast. I cut it into serving sized pieces with roasted carrots and potatoes in gravy, freeze it, and I can usually get 6-8 servings. Costco's cauliflower Supreme Pizza (2 large to a package) for 12 dollars, is great. 18 minutes and you're eating.

by Anonymousreply 71October 20, 2022 2:30 PM

My favorite packaged meal is the Jack in the Box drive through at the end of my block. As a fat whore, I enjoy the spontaneous convenience and variety.

by Anonymousreply 72October 20, 2022 2:37 PM

R72 I love me some JITB eggrolls!

by Anonymousreply 73October 20, 2022 2:44 PM

Cans of low-sodium soup

Chicken salad made with canned chicken

Grilled cheese and tomato soup

Takeout pizza/Chinese/Tex-Mex

Be careful with frozen and canned foods. Many are loaded with preservatives, sodium, and fat (even trans fat), and the convenience of saving a few minutes will be washed out by putting that filth inside you.

by Anonymousreply 74October 20, 2022 2:59 PM

I double up on portions when cooking things like curries so I always have something in the freezer.

by Anonymousreply 75October 20, 2022 3:09 PM

I'm English so, baked beans on toast.

by Anonymousreply 76October 20, 2022 3:12 PM

R46 gurrrllll I love me some of those Costco chicken melts. I hope they haven't been discontinued! I haven't been there in awhile.

by Anonymousreply 77October 20, 2022 3:21 PM

Hebrew National hot dogs and a can of Hormel chili no beans. The new brioche hot dog buns are seriously good.

by Anonymousreply 78October 20, 2022 3:21 PM

I always keep some of those White Castle burgers in the freezer. I don't know why I love them. But you gotta steam them, like they do in the restaurant, for the best results.

by Anonymousreply 79October 20, 2022 3:23 PM

Specifics to buy at TJ's would be greatly appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 80October 20, 2022 3:29 PM

R80 it might be time to start a Trader Joeā€™s specific thread.

by Anonymousreply 81October 20, 2022 3:43 PM

Isn't Trader Joe's reasonable/inexpensive enough that you can afford to try out things? If you don't like it, no big deal, just don't buy it again.

by Anonymousreply 82October 20, 2022 3:45 PM

Perhaps we can revive this favorite Trader Joe items thread:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83October 20, 2022 3:47 PM

Thank you, R 83.

by Anonymousreply 84October 20, 2022 3:49 PM

Iā€™m never too tired to beat my cock

by Anonymousreply 85October 20, 2022 4:18 PM

R61 is your pussy chilled?

by Anonymousreply 86October 20, 2022 4:24 PM

R86 So cold that it's dead and doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 87October 20, 2022 4:38 PM

[quote] Another easy dinner is a variation on Eggs in Purgatory. I like to heat up some Rao's, then portion a ladle or two into a small casserole, then gently top with 2 eggs. Add a little salt and pepper to the eggs, and some cream or cheese if you want it, and bake until the whites are set, probably about 10 minutes or less. I have it with salad and/or toast or French bread, whatever I have in the house.

Name dropping overpriced grocery item, check

Overly complex recipe that most people would consider "cooking", check

This must be a Datalounge recipe thread.

by Anonymousreply 88October 20, 2022 5:22 PM

R88 Haha, that was my thought too - that's COOKING. Too much effort.

by Anonymousreply 89October 20, 2022 5:26 PM

Putting eggs in spaghetti sauce isn't overly complex. It's not even medium complex.

by Anonymousreply 90October 20, 2022 5:32 PM

R90 but it's still cooking. I really don't want to have to deal with that kind of thing when I'm beat.

by Anonymousreply 91October 20, 2022 5:35 PM

Keep some frozen tortellini in the freezer, and a jar of RAO and some grated cheese.

Chop up some tomatoes, onion and garlic clove,to make a rough salsa, grate some Colby combined with Monterey Jack, drain a can of black beans (or pintos if you prefer) and dump some Fritos or Doritos in the mix. Layer the beans, corn chips and c heese, pop it in your microwave long enough to heat the beans and melt the cheese, then dump salsa over it. Done. It t akes 5 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 92October 20, 2022 5:38 PM

R92 That. Is. Cooking.

by Anonymousreply 93October 20, 2022 5:40 PM

[quote]It takes 5 minutes.

It takes longer and you know it, r92. And I was a chef once.

by Anonymousreply 94October 20, 2022 5:43 PM

Make sure to have Rao's sauce and Talenti ice cream on hand for life's emergencies.

by Anonymousreply 95October 20, 2022 5:44 PM

R94 Also it requires you to have the ingredients on hand. OK if canned but if fresh (he mentioned tomatoes, onions, garlic, Monterey Jack, etc) that means the stress of getting those in and not wasting them too.

by Anonymousreply 96October 20, 2022 5:46 PM

Thanks to those who mentioned jarred soups as an alternative. I'll be picking some up over the next few weeks.

For those who like Wendy's chili, or are thinking about keeping some in the freezer, try adding corn. Walmart sells 4-packs of microwaveable corn. Each container is a 1/2 cup. I also had a few shakes of Frank's Red Hot or Cholula while it's heating up. When I serve it, I add shredded Mexican/Taco cheese blend on top.

if you feel like a little cooking, add some more meat. I buy the 4-pack of hamburger patties. I'll cook one patty, save 1/2 for the next chili and use the other 1/2 for the chili.

by Anonymousreply 97October 20, 2022 5:51 PM

Corn? When did I microwave corn?

by Anonymousreply 98October 20, 2022 5:56 PM

For a canned chili, try Wolf Brand (no beans, unless you want that). Itā€™s really quite good. If youā€™re willing to do a little cooking, get a packet of cornbread mix, mix it up, and toss in toaster oven while heating chili. If you have an avocado, slice that to go along.

by Anonymousreply 99October 20, 2022 7:02 PM

I'm not sure about Wolf Brand but I made the mistake years ago of eating a can of Hormel No Beans Chili for lunch. I had a messed up stomach for two days. That stuff is meant to spoon on things, not for total consumption in one sitting. Learned that the hard way.

by Anonymousreply 100October 20, 2022 7:37 PM

LOL! I always have stuff like tomatoes, garlic and onion in the house. I always have a few cans of beans. And the convenient packages of Kraft Shredded cheese are supermarket staples. YOu can pick a bag of corn chips at a fucking gasstation. So it's really only a 5 minute job.

by Anonymousreply 101October 20, 2022 7:44 PM

Canned chicken is gross. So is canned chilli with "meat." SOme of the things y'all are posting would put you in the hospital. All the sodium and carcinogens.

by Anonymousreply 102October 20, 2022 7:46 PM

I tried the Wolf chili and it's pretty good although I would die if anyone knew I ate it.

by Anonymousreply 103October 20, 2022 7:52 PM

I subscribe to CookUnity. Itā€™s not a meal kit (I tried those and they still required more work than I wanted and used tons of packaging). Many of the prepared meals are quite good. Itā€™s more costly but better tasting than frozen.

by Anonymousreply 104October 20, 2022 7:58 PM

R102 stop being a big picky pussy

by Anonymousreply 105October 20, 2022 8:03 PM

Reading r92 made me so tired.

by Anonymousreply 106October 20, 2022 8:05 PM

Yeah, a tuna salad sandwich on toasted bread, lots of pepper and some iceberg lettuce is always satisfying.

by Anonymousreply 107October 20, 2022 8:09 PM

Grilled cheese sandwiches are my easy go-to. Also a fan of ramen (Maruchan, not Nissin) and various Frontera and Healthy Choice frozen dinners.

by Anonymousreply 108October 20, 2022 8:12 PM

Tortilla, shredded cheese, random meat. Microwave and top with salsa.

by Anonymousreply 109October 20, 2022 8:13 PM

[quote] What frozen, packaged or canned foods do you recommend?

Canned food? .. Don't forget La Choy Chow Mein in the nifty double can! .. And make sure to serve it with the crunchy noodles on top!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110October 20, 2022 8:14 PM

Any frozen Marie Callanders is great especially those pot pies!

by Anonymousreply 111October 20, 2022 8:26 PM

I'm too suspicious of Wendy's chili. Isn't it made with leftover hamburgers from the day before? I imagine it as one of those Vietnamese street vendors who are famous for keeping the same pot of soup gong for 30 years, just adding new ingredients everyday.

Plus the whole finger thing.

by Anonymousreply 112October 20, 2022 8:32 PM

R112 stop itā€™s the finger thing that gets ya.

by Anonymousreply 113October 20, 2022 9:43 PM

R80 : You might want to check out the recipe section of Trader Joe's website. Look under the tags Quick & Easy, Dinner Hacks, In Lieu of Pizza. There are some stupidly-easy, fast meals, requiring minimal preparation. For example:

Three-Ingredient Chimichurri Soup

2 packages/boxes TJ's Organic Tomato & Roasted Red Pepper Soup

1 package TJ's Frozen Chimichurri Rice

1 cup TJ's Frozen Fire Roasted Corn (1/2 of the package)

Combine in a pot. Heat on low, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until heated through. Garnish with Cotija cheese (optional). Makes 4-6 servings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114October 20, 2022 10:39 PM

r101 Are you making Frito Pie?

by Anonymousreply 115October 20, 2022 11:56 PM

Ramen. I make the garlic mayo version.

Beat an egg with a tbsp or two of mayo, half garlic clove minced, with the packet of flavored powder.

Boil the ramen til cooked then add about two tbsps cooking water to the egg mixture, whisking with fork until egg is cooked, adding more water if needed. Drain noodles then add noodles to egg mixture, top with sliced green onions and Sriracha. Can add steamed or boiled baby bok choy for greens if desired.

Sounds like a lot but it takes me 10 to 15 mins and it's a complete soup.

by Anonymousreply 116October 21, 2022 12:39 AM

How is it soup when you drained the liquid?

by Anonymousreply 117October 21, 2022 1:00 AM

I keep a bag of these grilled chicken breast in the freezer, they are already cooked. I will microwave them and some frozen broccoli sprouts, it makes a quick, easy and nutritious meal.

The chicken is around $10 and I get 5 - 6 meals out of a bag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118October 21, 2022 1:41 AM

I hate to keep mentioning them, but COSTCO has a great chicken pot pie. It's big. Probably enough for 8-10 servings. So cut it into serving size and bag it in a plastic freezer bag and freeze it. IMO, especially with bad weather coming, the last thing I want to do is make a stop on my way home. Or go out to pick up something once I get indoors. So I lie having stuff in the freezer and the pantry I can use. I also sometimes enjoy having breakfast for dinner.

by Anonymousreply 119October 21, 2022 2:29 AM

It takes about 15 minutes. Slice & grill a smoked turkey sausage w/ BBQ sauce. Boxed stuffing. Birdseye frozen veggies in the microwave.

Amyā€™s bowls. Costco teriyaki bowls. Bagel, cream cheese and lox w/ a piece of fruit. Marie Callenderā€™s chicken pot pie (small.) Frozen lasagne & bagged salad. Progressoā€™s soup w/ baguette or garlic bread.

by Anonymousreply 120October 21, 2022 2:30 AM

[quote] I love me some of those Costco chicken melts. I hope they haven't been discontinued! I haven't been there in awhile.

These arenā€™t a Costco thing. Thatā€™s like saying I love Costcoā€™s White Castle burgers. I hope Costco hasnā€™t discontinued them.

by Anonymousreply 121October 21, 2022 2:33 AM

Heat up a box of low sodium beef or vegetable stock, add Annie Chun's frozen won tons, toss in handfuls of spinach and some scallions. Very tasty.

by Anonymousreply 122October 21, 2022 3:03 AM

Oh my god, are your fingers broken? Call whatever delivery service floats your boat and have them deliver whatever you want.

by Anonymousreply 123October 21, 2022 3:11 AM

Frozen Foods:

American Flatbread Revolution Pizza, VERY good, have to let it thaw 15 minutes or so but worth the extra wait.

Michael Angelo frozen meals are very good and short ingredients list. Three Cheese Baked Ziti, Shrimp Scampi, Chicken Piccata, Chicken Parmigiana, Baked Ziti with Meatballs, really all of them.

Evol Truffle Parmesan Mac n Cheese

Devour Buffalo Chicken Mac n Cheese if you like blue cheese (calorie bomb)

Devour White Cheddar Mac n Cheese with bacon (calorie bomb)

Zatarain's Blackened Chicken Alfredo (yes Zatarain's has frozen food)

Stouffers Spaghetti with Meat sauce

Stouffer's Grandma's Chicken and Rice

Stouffers Stuffed Green Peppers

by Anonymousreply 124October 21, 2022 3:34 AM

I wish Michelina's still made their chili mac frozen meals. I loved those back in my 20s.

by Anonymousreply 125October 21, 2022 3:40 AM

R92 must be Greg, R106. That cunty bitch makes us all tired.

I hope he chokes to death on a reverse seared tomahawk ribeye with a reduced chutney demi-glace.

by Anonymousreply 126October 21, 2022 4:02 AM

R123 makes a decent point, considering itā€™s 2022.

Or I could just break Gregā€™s fingers and do Taco Bell drive thru.

by Anonymousreply 127October 21, 2022 4:07 AM

I just order in pizza, sushi, or Chinese food.

by Anonymousreply 128October 21, 2022 4:09 AM

^^ tisk tisk, what would Greg think?

by Anonymousreply 129October 21, 2022 4:11 AM

[quote] Slice & grill a smoked turkey sausage w/ BBQ sauce. Boxed stuffing. Birdseye frozen veggies in the microwave.

Sounds like cooking.

Not everybody has an array or even a small selection of delivery services in their neighborhoods.

by Anonymousreply 130October 21, 2022 4:24 AM

DoorDash.

by Anonymousreply 131October 21, 2022 4:25 AM

Stealth fart thread

by Anonymousreply 132October 21, 2022 4:32 AM

R130, you sound sweet, but provincial. The vast majority of DL (and the rest of the advanced world) live in cities, suburbs (or gasp) exurbs.

Delivery service is a modern convenience. Otherwise you should just buy boxed Kraft Mac n Cheese and Doritos at the Dollar Store and call it a day.

by Anonymousreply 133October 21, 2022 4:34 AM

[quote] In another, the little blocks of frozen Alfredo sauce were nearly non-existent. In the past, the packages have always been very uniform and consistent with the right amount of ingredients, but these two back-to-back flukes basically ruined both meals. They aren't exactly cheap either, so one expects them to be better. I think I'll give them another try, but will check things out before cooking next time, in case I have to return it for a refund.

Iā€™d like to see the look on the face of the manager when you try to return loose pasta and little blocks of Alfredo sauce.

by Anonymousreply 134October 21, 2022 4:37 AM

A lot of these are great, but watch that sodium, folks. It'll kill ya.

by Anonymousreply 135October 21, 2022 12:44 PM

[quote]A lot of these are great, but watch that sodium, folks. It'll kill ya.

I agree and as the author of the sodium laden post @r124 I should emphasize I don't eat these meals daily. They really are emergency/lazy foods consumed maybe once a week if even that. I do always have an emergency Michael Angelo meal in my freezer.

Foods that are natural diuretics: Celery, lemon, tomatoes, pineapple, cranberry, asparagus.

Dole GOLD frozen pineapple chunks are delicious and every single piece is sweet, not a bad one in the entire bag.

Four stalks or 1 cup of celery per day is supposedly helpful for blood pressure.

by Anonymousreply 136October 21, 2022 1:44 PM

Sodium is only bad for you if you are consistently eating too much of it and/or have blood pressure issues.

If you eating something overly salty once a week it's fine.

The problem in that many people make overly processed, high sodium content foods to mainstay of their diets

by Anonymousreply 137October 21, 2022 2:15 PM

Most people have no idea how much sodium they consume on a daily basis until they are told to cut it down to 1200 - 1500 mgs/day. If you don't want to die from kidney disease start paying attention and make healthy changes to your diet.

by Anonymousreply 138October 21, 2022 3:20 PM

I sometimes boil Ramen noodles with frozen vegetables and drain them. Then, I toss them with a wee bit of the flavoring packet and some sesame seed oil and just have that be it. Such a thing is not cooking at all since it is basically boiling water and nothing more. Lemonade is my beverage of choice with such slop.

I also like to sometimes dice a pear or an apple and eat it along with some peanut or almond butter. This is gross. I take a spoon of the diced fruit and dip it in the stuff and just eat it. My beverage of choice with this mess is normally ice water with mint.

Lastly. Eggs are easy as easy can be. I take leftover rice and sometimes just poach two eggs on top. I get the skillet and oil it up, spread some rice on it, sprinkle hot sauce on that rice, and crack two eggs over it and place pepper on the yokes and salt on the whites, and just let them poach. Slide the stuff off onto a plate and eat it along with perhaps a simple salad. My beverage of choice with this nonsense is my shame.

by Anonymousreply 139October 21, 2022 3:28 PM

R16 that pork chops recipe sounds wonderful. Recipe?

by Anonymousreply 140October 21, 2022 3:45 PM

You bitches are gonna stroke out from all the sodium in your frozen/canned foods.

Lort knows you make the time to watch Real Housewives and beat off to Ryan Gosling photos. You can't make time to cook real food?

Fat, greasy hoors, all of ya!

by Anonymousreply 141October 21, 2022 3:52 PM

Hey, my doctor used the phrase "now that we've gotten you out of stroke range" about my blood pressure meds when I was 34. If I die by anything other than a stroke it will be a huge surprise, and not necessarily a welcome one if it's something lingering like cancer or Alzheimer's instead.

Even so, broccoli and tomatoes are the two largest components of my diet by weight.

by Anonymousreply 142October 21, 2022 4:23 PM

R142 Matt spends a healthy amount of time on the can!

by Anonymousreply 143October 21, 2022 5:19 PM

R117 when you mix the cooking water in with the egg it produces a decent amount of liquid...I guess "soup" isn't accurate, more like Ramen stew. It's a complete meal to me because of the protein from the egg, the vegetable from the bok choy and the starch from the noodle.

by Anonymousreply 144October 21, 2022 5:44 PM

The Raoā€™s frozen Chicken Parmigiana with Spaghetti and frozen Meatballs are surprisingly delicious, just throw in the oven, you donā€™t even need to slit the packaging. Everything tastes fresh and easily serves two, or perfect leftover portion for next dayā€™s lunch. Quality ingredients as well.

by Anonymousreply 145October 21, 2022 5:51 PM

Poach yourself an egg in the microwave and make a piece of toast or english muffin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146October 21, 2022 5:52 PM

If you need some yummy appetizers, you can't go wrong with the Ladies' Home Journal.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147October 21, 2022 8:06 PM

Call Chicken Delight.

by Anonymousreply 148October 21, 2022 8:07 PM

Cattle drive chili with a slice of Kraft cheese on top in a big mug I have microwave and toss croutons on top.

Other ones I do are I toast bread, then put either Jarlsberg cheese on it or American slices (Kraft) then pop it in the broiler till melted. Sometimes I butter the toast first. I like the cheese to brown a bit and I then put some pepper on it.

Or Trader Joes frozen pizza. I like the one with mushroom and truffles on flatbread or the brie and tomato.

One more I do is a Costco rotisserie chicken, cut up white meat and put on rice and pour the drippings onto the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 149October 21, 2022 11:56 PM

R130 Cooking that takes 15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 150October 22, 2022 12:45 AM

Marie Callender's chicken pot pies and meatloaf dinners

Rotisserie Chickens

Cooked Shri!p with lemon and cocktail sauce

by Anonymousreply 151October 22, 2022 12:50 AM

Iā€™m just relieved that that fucking bloviating cunt Greg hasnā€™t weighed in. Heā€™s a narcissistic prick and I think his recipes are collected and unoriginal.

by Anonymousreply 152October 22, 2022 3:37 AM

So tonight I was stuck in traffic, actually getting nauseated from the stop and go. Rush hour. Decided to stop by the grocery store to get "something." I had rotisserie chicked twice last week. Didn't want any. The prepared food, chicken tenders and something resembling fried shrimp looked unappealing. I went to the frozen food section. Marie Callender, Lean Cusine, Health Choice, etc. I wanted something I could just heat and serve. I was exhausted. As is my habit, I checked out the sodium content. 700-800-1000 mg. It was ridiculous. I decided to go home and make a mushroom and cheese omlete. But then as I walked back to my car, there was my neighborhood Thai restaurant. It has great food. I wlked inlooking like Death. I ordered. I ate. I was revived and felt fine.

by Anonymousreply 153October 22, 2022 4:05 AM

[quote]Cattle drive chili with a slice of Kraft cheese on top in a big mug I have microwave and toss croutons on top.

The trashiest and therefore best thing on this thread, R149. I want to try this now.

by Anonymousreply 154October 22, 2022 4:30 AM

R53 R54 I absolutely agree and 3rd the suggestion of Tasty BiteMadras Lentils. That shit is great. It is so well-seasoned and perfectly portioned. It's very nice over rice as a filling, healthy FAST meal. If you've never tried it, it is a must, you will not be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 155October 22, 2022 4:53 AM

R154

Oh man. That made me laugh! šŸ¤£ Thatā€™s my trashy recipe. Hope you like it šŸ˜†

by Anonymousreply 156October 22, 2022 6:02 AM

I almost certainly will, R156. No sarcasm.

by Anonymousreply 157October 22, 2022 6:22 AM

Do we need a Tasty Bite gang sign?

Anyway I double-checked the ingredients of those lentils and look at this shit. Some people don't use ingredients this trash-free when they cook from scratch!

Water, Black Lentils*, Red Kidney Beans*, Cream*, Tomato Paste*, Dried Onion*, Butter*, Sunflower Oil*, Salt, Cumin*, Chili Pepper Powder*, Dried Ginger*. *Organic

by Anonymousreply 158October 22, 2022 6:23 AM

Iā€™d rather die than eat lentils. šŸ¤®

by Anonymousreply 159October 22, 2022 8:08 AM

Lentils are just, like rice, the carbs you layer flavour onto. They really don't have a lot of taste on their own without even any salt. It's like disliking plain rice. Sure it doesn't taste *good* (it tastes bland) but it's not disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 160October 22, 2022 10:06 AM

Lentils are pretty fucking great. I donā€™t know whatā€™s wrong with you R159.

But granted, I have a fetish for south Asian men so I guess I had to like lentils. Iā€™m a pasty white guy from the middle of Iowa and I love the Indians. Talk about having exotic and bizarre taste.

Sorry OP, I have nothing to add for recipes. I love Indian food, itā€™s singularly the best most varied cuisine in existence but itā€™s stupid hard to make and none of the frozen or prepared options are good. Heaven on earth is the made-from-scratch Michelin-star dishes that the barely tolerant but gracious Indian mothers of whichever guy Iā€™m fucking currently, offers me.

by Anonymousreply 161October 22, 2022 1:35 PM

R161 is a whore for dick AND good home cookingā€¦a man after my heart.

Namaste.

by Anonymousreply 162October 22, 2022 4:43 PM

It isn't so much that I'm beat, OP, it's that there's no time for cooking!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163October 22, 2022 4:52 PM

Ingredients Frozen Organic mixed vegetables Chicken tenders Quinoa bread frozen Curry powder ( or any spice blend of your choice)

Put the vegetables in a microwave proof container with a lid and cook them according to directions with a small amount of water that allows them to steam according to the directions. Prior to putting them in the microwave I sprinkle the curry powder or the spices on them

Get some bread put it on the hot veggies, get some chicken tenders and put them on the veggies, and then close them back up in the microwave cook for two minutes or however long it is required to cook both the chicken tenders and to make the bread soft.

Then get some hummus, or some pesto sauce or anything else that you can put on the food as a sort of dressing including cheese etc.

This is my power meal Iā€™m not sure that everybody will be into it though

by Anonymousreply 164October 22, 2022 5:34 PM

After Wolf chili in a frito pie, I got a rotisserie chicken, pulled off the meat and took the bones, another chicken carcass, veggies and aromatics and am making stock for soup. Yes, this sounds like cooking. I am less beat and able to cook again. Thank you for all ideas for easy meals and food hacks. They're great for once in a while.

by Anonymousreply 165October 22, 2022 5:37 PM

Put a jar of drained sauerkraut in a skillet and add some hot dogs.

Dinner in 5 minutes.

If you think you can do a little "cooking," try slicing up some kielbasa instead of the wieners. That takes about 10 minutes, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166October 22, 2022 7:03 PM

What about the days you're too beat to beat off?

by Anonymousreply 167October 22, 2022 7:55 PM

Pay to have it done for you. $ buys any and everything

by Anonymousreply 168October 22, 2022 8:33 PM

I know people love rotisserie chickens and I agree it's a convenience. But I also love roasting my own chicken. It is so simple! I sove chunks of onion and garlic in the cavity with salt and pepper. Maybe add some ground sage and thyme. IOr maybe lemons sliced and oregano, instead. Slather it with olive oil, and put it in the oven with about 1 1/2 - two inches of water. Cover it, and let it roast. usually takes about 90 minutes to two hours. I eat half and freeze half.

by Anonymousreply 169October 23, 2022 8:31 PM

r169 can't stay on topic.

by Anonymousreply 170October 23, 2022 8:35 PM

Uncooked roasting chickens are twice the price of one already done for you in the deli.

by Anonymousreply 171October 23, 2022 11:20 PM

There are lots of good jarred pasta sauces on the market now. Look for ones that donā€™t add sugar. I know people take a lot of pride in making their own sauce, but most of the homemade ones Iā€™ve tried just arenā€™t very good and I donā€™t know why they bother.

by Anonymousreply 172October 24, 2022 12:02 AM

I send out for whateverthefuckiwant

by Anonymousreply 173October 24, 2022 12:11 AM

Cucumbers and corn nuts

by Anonymousreply 174October 24, 2022 12:16 AM

I'm not off topic. I just feel like cooking and freezing food for days when you don't feel like cooking is healthier than getting take out. I get take out, but I have reached the point where I actually prefer my own cooking.

by Anonymousreply 175October 24, 2022 4:16 AM

You are off topic

by Anonymousreply 176October 24, 2022 5:11 AM

If Iā€™m not cooking, I am not chopping jack shit.

Taking out the cutting board, all that.

Youā€™re crazy.

by Anonymousreply 177October 24, 2022 5:19 AM

R169 Iā€™ve never put any water in a roasting pan with chicken. Iā€™ve never even heard of doing that. And 2ā€ is absurd.

by Anonymousreply 178October 24, 2022 6:13 AM

Yes I want to hear about this water in the roasting pan technique as well because I have never heard of that.

The poster isn't wrong about roast chicken being so easy it arguably qualifies as "not cooking," though. You can buy the chicken, slap it in a roasting pan, put the pan in the oven and that it. It's less work than making instant ramen or boxed mac and cheese. Just put it in the oven, that's it. And roast chicken is fucking delicious.

by Anonymousreply 179October 24, 2022 9:43 AM

TELL YA MAMA TO ROAST THE CHICKEN!

by Anonymousreply 180October 24, 2022 10:09 AM

[quote] I know people love rotisserie chickens and I agree it's a convenience. But I also love roasting my own chicken. It is so simple! I sove chunks of onion and garlic in the cavity with salt and pepper. Maybe add some ground sage and thyme. IOr maybe lemons sliced and oregano, instead. Slather it with olive oil, and put it in the oven with about 1 1/2 - two inches of water. Cover it, and let it roast. usually takes about 90 minutes to two hours. I eat half and freeze half.

Sorry, but this is not how you roast something. When you roast something you use a dry heat and you leave the pan uncovered. By adding 1.5 to 2" of water and then covering it, you are steaming or braising the chicken.

by Anonymousreply 181October 24, 2022 2:43 PM

[quote] Iā€™m just relieved that that fucking bloviating cunt Greg hasnā€™t weighed in. Heā€™s a narcissistic prick and I think his recipes are collected and unoriginal.

But you like me enough to bring me up when no one else has. My recipes are collected? Yes, of course they are. I never claimed to be an inventor of recipes. I am someone who cooks a lot and I've cooked for many years. Have I collected recipes? Absolutely. I've also adapted recipes that I've tested and think that I have some good ones to share.

Keep your insults coming! They make me happy and they make you sound really stupid.

by Anonymousreply 182October 24, 2022 2:50 PM

[quote]And 2ā€ is absurd.

But it's the size of my puny cocklet.

by Anonymousreply 183October 24, 2022 3:54 PM

I put water in the bottom of the roasting pan, just like my grandma and my mother. And obviously you have to consider how big the chicken is, but I also put a couple spoons of Better than Bullion into the pan too. Here's why according to my grandmother: She didn't want the meat to dry out. When I pull the bird out of the overn after about 90 minutes, it is falling off the bone, moist, delicious because it has been well seasoned and the combination of the olive oil and the little bit of water is sufficient to use as drippings for gravy. So you can mock me if you like but my roaster is fabulous. And if I Re member to throw in some carrots and potatoes it is to die for.

by Anonymousreply 184October 24, 2022 4:10 PM

R184 here. ALso, I use a smallish, dark round roasting pan with a cover on it. So there's some steam.

by Anonymousreply 185October 24, 2022 4:11 PM

I agree that an already cooked rotisserie chicken is more convenient and probably less expensive than one you make yourself, but if you want to control sodium and other seasonings, do it yourself. Poaching chicken is also great meal prep for the week. Shred that shit up and use it for several meals. Of course, it's easy to get burnt out with chicken.

by Anonymousreply 186October 24, 2022 5:20 PM

[quote] [R92] must be Greg, [R106]. That cunty bitch makes us all tired. I hope he chokes to death on a reverse seared tomahawk ribeye with a reduced chutney demi-glace.

Sorry, R126, but that wasn't me. First of all, R92's response involves cooking and I thought that NOT cooking was the point of this post.

Secondly, R92's concoction sounds terrible.

And just what is a "reduced chutney demi-glace?"

Thanks for coming!

by Anonymousreply 187October 24, 2022 6:09 PM

Secondly, [R92]'s concoction sounds terrible.

so does your Betty Crocker food porn, Greg. And I definitely never cum.

by Anonymousreply 188October 24, 2022 6:20 PM

[quote] so does your Betty Crocker food porn, Greg. And I definitely never cum.

Okay. Why don't you let us know just what about anything I've posted suggests Betty Crocker. Something tells me you haven't been in a good restaurant or at a nice dinner party....well, ever.

by Anonymousreply 189October 24, 2022 7:59 PM

^ well, Iā€™ve lived in Manhattan for 19 years. Michelin star experiences in the city every few weeks for the last 10 years, because I think theyā€™re a special experience. This year Michelin in Denmark, Hawaii, and Washington State, and just generally fine dining anywhere I go. Not everywhere has world class dining but I always seek out the experience.

by Anonymousreply 190October 24, 2022 8:30 PM

correction, I was mistaken. Maru in Honolulu does not have a star, just checked. Thought it did because the reservation was a bitch, seatings were fixed and the bill left the memory of a star in my mind.

by Anonymousreply 191October 24, 2022 8:34 PM

I actually keep a few portions of various foods in the freezer. Whenever I make a stew, curry, or pasta dish, I package up one serving and pop it in the freezer so that I can just reheat it at some future date when I'm too damn lazy, tired, or time constrained to cook.

by Anonymousreply 192October 24, 2022 9:05 PM

Same here. Whenever Iā€™m hungry I just poop it out to reheat in the microwave and dinner is served, whether by myself or with guests. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 193October 24, 2022 9:13 PM

[quote]Whenever Iā€™m hungry I just poop it out to reheat

LOL - only on DL would people know that this is NOT a typo...

by Anonymousreply 194October 24, 2022 9:19 PM

Birdseye Cheddar Broccoli Bake is my jam lately.

by Anonymousreply 195October 24, 2022 9:37 PM

I stock up on whatā€™re frozen stuff is on sale. You know, those refrigerated roll-out pizza crusts are fantastic, but you have to chop your toppings. If I had a restaurant I would use those all the time.

by Anonymousreply 196October 24, 2022 9:45 PM

OK, R184, but that still isn't roasting. And fuck you for making me agree with Greg. I'm sure your chicken is delicious and I'm sure your mom's and grandma's chicken was delicious but you aren't roasting it. Which is fine. Many people poach or braise it etc.

And since this is my asshole post, you don't need the Better Than Bouillon. You've got the whole chicken right there dripping all its flavours and juices into the pan. BTB and similar is for when you DON'T have that.

by Anonymousreply 197October 25, 2022 7:06 AM

"Omaha Steaks" has an entire range of frozen food type entrees which (although expensive) are some of the best I have ever eaten.

by Anonymousreply 198October 25, 2022 7:08 AM

R197 BTB enhances the flavor of the gravy and really helps. USA chickens are bred to have precious little natural flavor.

by Anonymousreply 199October 25, 2022 7:30 AM

Yeah, that Better Than Bouillon is some good stuff. I've only tried the Roasted Beef flavor but it really does "enhance" whatever sauces, soups or gravies you have going on. It doesn't taste artificial and not too salty (if I remember).

by Anonymousreply 200October 25, 2022 12:38 PM

[quote] And fuck you for making me agree with Greg.

R197, you will always remember this day. xo

by Anonymousreply 201October 25, 2022 12:55 PM

[quote] well, Iā€™ve lived in Manhattan for 19 years. Michelin star experiences in the city every few weeks for the last 10 years, because I think theyā€™re a special experience. This year Michelin in Denmark, Hawaii, and Washington State, and just generally fine dining anywhere I go. Not everywhere has world class dining but I always seek out the experience.

Well, pardon me while I play the grand piano.

by Anonymousreply 202October 25, 2022 5:54 PM

I'm a big fan of pre cooked shrimp as well as imitation crab meat. It's so easy to thaw a little at a time the night before, and whip up a large batch of my own homemade seafood salad which will last for days in the fridge. Then it's just a matter of topping some bagged pre chopped lettuce with it, and some cherry tomatoes and olives.

You can obviously buy pre made seafood salad at the store but it's way cheaper to make it yourself to have on hand. I also prefer mine with prepared Good Seasons dressing (the kind you buy in the packets and mix up yourself) instead of mayo.

by Anonymousreply 203October 25, 2022 7:53 PM

That's funny, R203, I'm not a picky or snobby eater but imitation crab meat and cooked shrimp are 2 things I'll go out of my way to avoid if possible. Which it isn't, always, because I'm poor. There's a brand of raw, wild Argentinian shrimp sold at my grocery store that are the best I've ever had from a store. Expensive though.

by Anonymousreply 204October 26, 2022 2:47 AM

Unpopular Opinion: Better Than Bouillon is crap. I strongly differ with the other poster who says it's not too salty - I find it salty af and not very flavourful beyond the saltiness. It seems generally beloved, though, so perhaps my tastebuds are wrong.

by Anonymousreply 205October 26, 2022 2:50 AM

I use the low sodium version of BTB and have been using it for several years.

by Anonymousreply 206October 26, 2022 4:19 AM

[quote]I'm not a picky or snobby eater but imitation crab meat and cooked shrimp are 2 things I'll go out of my way to avoid if possible.

Who doesnā€™t eat cooked shrimp? Eating raw shrimp is gross, not to mention full of worms.

by Anonymousreply 207October 26, 2022 5:09 AM

I (and I think the initial poster I was responding to) was referring to the state the shrimp are in when bought. It's easy to find cooked frozen and raw froze shrimp at any grocery store. I prefer the raw frozen because I'm less likely to overcook the shit out of them.

There are people who eat raw shrimp, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208October 26, 2022 5:14 AM

Ever since the BP spill into the Gulf of Mexico, I have been extremely reluctant to eat bottom feeding fish like shrimp or lobster. Then you have the pollutants and materials from the Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster in Japan. I'm sure all that crap has re circulated a million times since then,m but I try to confine my fish eating to the North Atlantic and Alaska. Also Norway, Sweden Denmark, etc. And be careful with farm raised fish, especially from Chile and other points in South America, and in South East Asia. Like Vietnam. Because they do not maintain those fish farms well, and the waters are full of pollutants. So yeah, Salmon, Tuna, Cod, Halibut, etc for me.

by Anonymousreply 209October 26, 2022 4:30 PM

r209 How do you feel about Herring Circuses?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210October 26, 2022 4:46 PM

Tuna Melt

Omelette

Pasta w/Rao's sauce

Instant Ramen gussied up

A big baked potato with leftovers, tuna, or such in it

Pasta with butter or olive oil, parmesan cheese, and black peppah

by Anonymousreply 211October 26, 2022 5:15 PM

R211, you are describing what are typical single person's quickdinners. Sometimes even that is too exhausting and that's especially true of tuna melts.

These are lovely dinners and it would be great if you started a thread for 15-minute dinners. To the food thread naysayers, man cannot live on porn alone. T

by Anonymousreply 212October 27, 2022 4:00 PM

Sorry to derail the thread a bit but, for the poster(s) who use BTB, how much do you use? There are no directions on the jars. I used it once and, as another poster said, it was insanely salty. I'm thinking I used too much. I used the roasted chicken, if that helps.

by Anonymousreply 213October 27, 2022 8:09 PM

Cosmo, I used chicken Better than Bouillon to make split pea soup recently. I didn't have any chicken stock. I should just have used water. The soup was good in a generically savory way, but it didn't exactly taste like split pea soup. Not going to do it again.

by Anonymousreply 214October 27, 2022 8:16 PM

[quote] Sorry to derail the thread a bit but, for the poster(s) who use BTB, how much do you use? There are no directions on the jars. I used it once and, as another poster said, it was insanely salty. I'm thinking I used too much. I used the roasted chicken, if that helps.

Hello, R213. I try to always have homemade stock on hand, but also keep some BTB in the refrigerator for those rare times when my freezer is out of stock. There are directions on the jarsā€”they are right on the top of the lid:

[quote] Only 1 tsp. Better Than Bouillon = One Cube [bold] OR [/bold] One 8 oz. Can

This means that one should use 1 teaspoon of BTB with 8-ounces of water. Same as how one would use a bouillon cube (one cube combined with one cup of water).

by Anonymousreply 215October 28, 2022 2:35 PM

Thank you, R215!

by Anonymousreply 216October 28, 2022 2:51 PM

[quote] Thank you, [R215]!

My pleasure, Cosmo!

by Anonymousreply 217October 28, 2022 2:53 PM

Mr. Food 30 Minute Meals, or Cooking for Two Cookbooks.

by Anonymousreply 218October 28, 2022 3:06 PM

^ did you seriously recommend 2 cookbooks to a thread dedicated to not cooking?

They live among us

by Anonymousreply 219October 28, 2022 3:08 PM

Breakfast, including bacon, ham, or sausage, 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 220October 28, 2022 3:13 PM

[quote] I shove chunks of onion and garlic in the cavity with salt and pepper.

Pics, please!

by Anonymousreply 221November 4, 2022 4:11 PM

Hot pockets

by Anonymousreply 222November 4, 2022 4:20 PM

Mom kids want Khanā€™s corn dogs. Cccccorn dogs.

by Anonymousreply 223November 4, 2022 4:21 PM

What are mom kids?

by Anonymousreply 224November 4, 2022 5:06 PM

Genoā€™s pizza rolls

by Anonymousreply 225November 4, 2022 5:07 PM

[quote]Breakfast, including bacon, ham, or sausage, 24/7.

OR?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226November 4, 2022 6:27 PM

Altoid mint

by Anonymousreply 227November 4, 2022 6:32 PM

benefiber and coffee.

by Anonymousreply 228November 4, 2022 6:41 PM

I don't eat.

by Anonymousreply 229November 4, 2022 7:19 PM

I did not realize one could make mac and cheese in the microwave. This is dumping ingredients into a bowl, not cooking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230November 4, 2022 8:57 PM

Milk

by Anonymousreply 231November 4, 2022 11:40 PM

[quote] Or I just boil up some egg noodles with a couple of scoops of Cheez-Whiz šŸ¤—

Oh, dear! (and not for any grammar, diction or spelling errors)

Even just butter, salt, and pepper would be better.

To each his own.

by Anonymousreply 232November 5, 2022 12:01 AM

Popcorn

by Anonymousreply 233November 5, 2022 1:45 AM

English muffin pizzas. Toast the muffins a bit first so they don't get soggy. Hope that's not too much work!

by Anonymousreply 234November 5, 2022 2:43 AM

Look. It's pretty simple. You gotta have stuff in the fridge or the freezer or the pantry you can grab even if it's peanut butter & jelly or grilled cheese and a cup of Tomato soup.

by Anonymousreply 235November 5, 2022 2:46 AM

I love a simple grilled cheese. Sometimes I cut a hole šŸ•³ in the middle and put my egg through. Fry up some bacon šŸ„“ to put in between and you got yourself a complete meal with the soup.

by Anonymousreply 236November 5, 2022 3:09 AM

Cock soup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237November 7, 2022 10:00 AM

Rana lasagna. Better than Stouffer's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238November 29, 2022 6:27 PM

[quote] Rana lasagna. Better than Stouffer's.

Ugh, R238. This looks revolting. Seriously, how hard is it to make some homemade lasagna noodles, a bƩchamel sauce, and some marinara or Bolognese? It's nearly as easy as buying this terrible supermarket lasagna.

by Anonymousreply 239November 29, 2022 7:30 PM

Ready in 4 minutes? I think not. That is just the cooking time. It doesnā€™t account for opening the package, pre-heating the oven, putting the lasagna in, letting it cook, cutting it, etc.

by Anonymousreply 240November 29, 2022 7:38 PM

R239 has very obviously never done any of those things. No matter what he says.

by Anonymousreply 241November 29, 2022 7:50 PM

[quote] [R239] has very obviously never done any of those things. No matter what he says.

Ah, of course I have. Many times.

by Anonymousreply 242November 29, 2022 7:53 PM

Very effective satire, Greg.

by Anonymousreply 243November 29, 2022 8:13 PM

Okay, here's another one. Sous vide chicken breast and sauces by Kevin's Natural Foods. It's paleo.

So far we've tried the Korean BBQ chicken and the Thai coconut chicken and we liked both with rice and a vegetable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244December 1, 2022 12:51 AM

I tried that and itā€™s like cat food. The chicken looks and tastes like itā€™s from a can.

by Anonymousreply 245December 1, 2022 1:40 AM

Camembert and tomato on sour dough bagette. Cup of coffee. Done.

by Anonymousreply 246December 1, 2022 2:20 AM

Kevin's got a 4.4/5 on Amazon with 1800 ratings. Sorry you got a lousy batch.

by Anonymousreply 247December 1, 2022 2:23 AM

Baked potatoes, no muss, no fuss. Russets at 400 degrees, one hour.

by Anonymousreply 248December 1, 2022 2:45 AM

CAn I just say, I have to watch my sodium because of hypertension. So I usually cook stuff and freeze it in serving portions.

by Anonymousreply 249December 1, 2022 3:08 AM

[quote] Very effective satire, Greg.

Thanks, R243. You are probably one of the few people out here who understood what I was doing.

by Anonymousreply 250December 2, 2022 6:37 PM

Just discovered Better than Bouillon low sodium organic roasted chicken base. Use it for egg drop soup with egg and scallion; add TJ's frozen mini wontons if you want wonton soup.

Also discovered Blounts Clam shack soups at my grocery. Thought the gumbo and the clam chowder were pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 251January 15, 2023 10:54 PM

Local supermarket deli dept makes a pretty good beef lo mein. $10 and you can get 3 meals out of it.

by Anonymousreply 252January 15, 2023 11:01 PM

You can never go wrong with a rotisserie chicken. Reasonable price and easy to prep.

by Anonymousreply 253January 15, 2023 11:26 PM

Ditch the Stouffer's, OP, for RANA 5-Cheese Lasagna, in the refrigerated foods section. Fab!

Otherwise, ITA with r253!

by Anonymousreply 254January 15, 2023 11:27 PM

Beans and cheese. I buy canned beans, but I finally figured out how to cook beans from dried. I buy either pre-grated cheese or large blocks of Kerrygold Dubliner (Costco) and slice up the block.

Salsa, I can make, but it's tedious. So, I do buy premade salsa from the refrigerated section.

by Anonymousreply 255January 15, 2023 11:36 PM

Tonight was Fresh Thyme rotisserie chicken, Main Street Bistro sour cream mashed potatoes and Whole Foods prepped organic green beans (steamed and dressed with lemon and butter plus seasoned salt.) I am low-energy post-Covid and this was a real meal that will serve four for $20. and take five minutes of prep time and virtually no clean-up. I might add Better than Bouillon's chicken gravy next time around.

Homemade is always better but post-Covid energy drain is for real.

by Anonymousreply 256January 17, 2023 12:35 AM

You fatsos are still "eating"?

How primitive.

by Anonymousreply 257January 17, 2023 12:45 AM

One-third of a Brie wheel on crackers.

by Anonymousreply 258January 17, 2023 12:47 AM

A sliced avocado drizzled in lemon juice.

by Anonymousreply 259January 17, 2023 12:47 AM

R238 I agree about Rama.

by Anonymousreply 260January 17, 2023 12:48 AM

I canā€™t remember if it was Molly Ivins or Florence King who wrote about the Sink Sandwich.

Cheap white bread - skip the first three slices of the loaf to ensure sponginess

Tomatoes - the big ones are just water right now, so settle for the roma. Cut them thick

Dukeā€™s or Hellmanā€™s - thatā€™s the only time I opt for egg over soybean

Slather two pieces of bread with mayo. Place as many tomatoes as possible on one piece. Salt & Pepper to taste. Position top slice. Run the tap of your sink on low. Standing over the sink,, take a bite out of your sandwich. Your hands and chin are coated in goo. Life is good, Pig.

by Anonymousreply 261January 17, 2023 1:14 AM

R255, I eat that almost everyday. Good advice.

by Anonymousreply 262January 17, 2023 2:22 AM

Late last night I discovered the last container in the freezer of beef pot roast I made about 4 months ago. There's enough for two nights.

by Anonymousreply 263January 17, 2023 6:12 PM

R263, how happy were you when you found that?

I would have been so happy

by Anonymousreply 264January 17, 2023 6:32 PM

R245, I didn't like Kevin's either. It was like pressed meat

by Anonymousreply 265January 17, 2023 9:38 PM

Lidl makes fantastic frozen pizzas. They have a wide variety. You can't beat the price!

by Anonymousreply 266January 18, 2023 3:13 AM

My suggestion go to Whole Foods and get yourself a unique frozen meal and an interesting wine. Where else do you get frozen pastitsio in Central Flyoverstan? Iā€™m gonna guess nowhere else in a long ass drive!

by Anonymousreply 267January 18, 2023 3:19 AM

[quote]Homemade is always better but post-Covid energy drain is for real.

As the lack of heat-and-eat foods available these days makes clear. I can't get past the last bout of COVID I had and because there's nothing except frozen pizzas and lasagnas left in the stores, I've been eating a lot of Taco Bell power bowls.

by Anonymousreply 268January 18, 2023 3:54 AM

I always have a box of mixed greens in the refrigerator. Usually for some salad Iā€™ll make for lunch. If Iā€™m not in the mood to cook, itā€™s just greens on the side with something frozen from Trader Joeā€™s, or an omelette. TJā€™s French onion and ham tart is good. I bake it in the toaster oven until the crust is crisp, I can eat half with a salad and save the rest for the next day. Add a glass of wine and, oh yeah!

by Anonymousreply 269January 18, 2023 7:05 AM

Fry up a smoked turkey sausage w/ BBQ sauce. Make boxed stuffing or chicken rice a roni. Bag of salad or heat frozen veggies. Fifteen minutes.

by Anonymousreply 270January 18, 2023 7:48 AM

More than two sentences = not understanding the OP!

by Anonymousreply 271January 18, 2023 10:13 AM

Personally, on a Saturday or Sunday, weather outside is shit, and I feel like cooking, I make two or three entrees to freeze. And I go to Costco and buy stuff to freeze. Like Costco has this huge chicken pot pie. I cut it into serving size and freeze it. I make chili or soup or roast something and freeze it in serving sizes. I always have something in the freezer. But failing that, there's door dash. : ) OP, my "go to" is rotisserie Chicken. My local supermarket has some good rotisserie chicken and it's very versatile.

by Anonymousreply 272January 18, 2023 12:54 PM

Sounds like cooking, R270.

by Anonymousreply 273January 18, 2023 3:04 PM

I remember once being so damned hungry, I picked up a rotisserie chicken from the Supermarket, and by the time I got home I'd eaten nearly half of it. I was a greasy mess.

by Anonymousreply 274January 18, 2023 8:41 PM

^ Were you fat too?

I'm really not surprised. You've never spoken of your people - who you came from - so perhaps it's natural...

by Anonymousreply 275January 18, 2023 11:49 PM

[quote]For days when you're too beat to cook--

I usually just swing by Mildred's Fat Burgers...

Oh, hi Veda, I didn't see you there.

by Anonymousreply 276January 18, 2023 11:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!