Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Was President Truman…

dating his daughter (to the right), while ignoring his wife?

This photograph REALLY creeped me out.

Interesting. And very inappropriate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 11, 2022 2:26 AM

WTF, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1September 10, 2022 8:15 PM

Why WTF?

It looks weird. The whole photograph is very odd.

I’ve never seen a grown man sit like that next to his teenaged daughter. He’s into his daughter. His wife sits to the left, being totally left out.

Just a strange, strange photo.

Also, his wife was very unattractive. Truman wasn’t ugly. It’s almost impossible that he married her.

Reminiscent of Trump’s awkward interactions with Ivanka, I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 2September 10, 2022 8:20 PM

You must being thinking of THIS, OP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3September 10, 2022 8:22 PM

OP - there is nothing odd/weird/untoward going on in that photograph. It's just a random picture from some public event.

Get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 4September 10, 2022 8:24 PM

Nothing inappropriate about that photo, OP...

by Anonymousreply 5September 10, 2022 8:25 PM

I didn’t get any eerie vibes from the pic. He doesn’t seem to be pawing her up like that skin crawling photo of Trump posted above.

by Anonymousreply 6September 10, 2022 8:25 PM

I read an account of her life that Margaret Truman wrote for a magazine when she was still young. She mentioned that her mother always looked serious and unsmiling in photos, but in reality she was very good-humored. She just had resting bitch face.

by Anonymousreply 7September 10, 2022 8:26 PM

I don’t know if Truman was being weird in the photo. back then, there was a lot of child mortality so having a child to live to adulthood was an accomplishment even amongst wealthier people. Also there was a daddy‘s girl mythology that encouraged men to take interest in their progeny and not just their sons. Back then men were very uninvolved(and excluded from) the parenting process so maybe he was trying to show that he was involved as a parent.

I feel sad for Ivanka. She made a smart move by converting because spiritually and legally he is no longer her parent.

by Anonymousreply 8September 10, 2022 8:29 PM

"Legally", r8?

by Anonymousreply 9September 10, 2022 8:31 PM

Bess Truman also loathed publicity and was very shy.

by Anonymousreply 10September 10, 2022 8:34 PM

The three Trumans--Harry, Bess, and Margaret--were incredibly close as a family.

That's why the late Queen Elizabeth II liked them so much when she was a teenager and first met them--she thought they were so much like her own family who were also an incredibly close unit despite being in the public eye (King George VI referred to himself, his wife and his two daughters repeatedly as "us four").

by Anonymousreply 11September 10, 2022 8:41 PM

Curious about OP’s gender and relationship with own father. OP’s reaction to this photograph is confusing.

by Anonymousreply 12September 10, 2022 8:41 PM

Ffs, R8, it wasn’t an accomplishment to raise a kid to adulthood, ever. If it was, the species would have died out.

by Anonymousreply 13September 10, 2022 8:44 PM

It was an accomplishment. There were no antibiotics until the 1940's, hence no cure for TB, a huge medical problem then. Increased maternal and child mortality. No effective treatment for most heart diseases. Polio - lotsa polio. Rheumatic fever, an infection that would be treated and gone in a week now meant months in the hospital in the early 1950's. No transplants until 1954, six years after that photo was taken. Just to name a few issues then we don't have now.

People don't think in terms of species. They think of their own kids.

by Anonymousreply 14September 10, 2022 11:29 PM

Holy, shit, do where do you old fossils find stuff like this?

by Anonymousreply 15September 10, 2022 11:29 PM

Clearly you're interested, R15. Otherwise why comment?

by Anonymousreply 16September 10, 2022 11:31 PM

OP is projecting, and projecting very wrongly.

Are you, perhaps, a victim of incest abuse, OP?

by Anonymousreply 17September 10, 2022 11:36 PM

I've always loved the sound of Bess Truman's name.

Sounds like a cool, competent heroine in a murder mystery series. Bess Truman could knock back a pitcher of beer with the guys after a softball game; sit at an Uptown bar alone drinking Manhattans, while deftly parrying unwanted male advances; and hanging with her girls who adore her because she never ever makes them feel she's somehow better than they.

Cats AND dogs worship her, our best girl Bess Truman!

by Anonymousreply 18September 11, 2022 12:31 AM

No, you dope!

Bess Truman hated DC and spent the summers in Independence, MO visiting her parents, but upon her return the White House staff blushed at the obvious noise and frequency of activity from the Truman's bedroom. The Truman's were teen sweethearts and were quite happily married for over fifty years, not including a nine-year courtship.

by Anonymousreply 19September 11, 2022 2:25 AM

Oops, the second "Trumans" should have no apostrophe, of course.

I'll Oh, dear myself!

by Anonymousreply 20September 11, 2022 2:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!