Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

High Fidelity

Love the book, hate the movie and everyone in it (except Joan Cusack). What about you?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2022 12:01 PM

Liked the Nick Hornby book very much. It could only have been written by someone who grew up in the era of record stores and with that love of great pop music.

Was intrigued by the movie, but ultimately disappointed. A little Cusack goes a long way. And way too much Jack Black (remember how this movie launched him)?

Was intrigued by the updated series on streaming, but ultimately disappointed. I liked the gender and race casting flips, but Zoe Kravitz was such a beautiful blank for me onscreen. I did like that they gave an entire episode to the gay male clerk (who is not in the original novel).

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2022 2:25 AM

I never understood the reason for taking the story out of London and dropping it into Chicago, other than John Cusack is from there and did it just because he could. It took away a lot of the book’s flavor.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2022 2:34 AM

It was a perfect adapted screenplay. Both Cusacks were good, and well cast, as they were in Grosse Point Blank, Lisa Bonet was also well cast, because she has no depth.

I did not like the woman who played his lawyer girlfriend, like a dollartree Mary Stuart Masterson, and the very young Catherine Zeta Jones as the woman he never got over. Black and his store sidekick were good comic spice.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2022 2:38 AM

[quote]Zoe Kravitz was such a beautiful blank for me onscreen.

And her mother, Lisa Bonet, was woefully miscast as Marie la Salle (“Marie de Salle” in the movie — why?).

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2022 2:39 AM

I think she was perfectly cast as the singer who isn't his soulmate.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2022 2:40 AM

I thought she had the screen presence of a day-old vanilla cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2022 2:41 AM

[quote]I did not like the woman who played his lawyer girlfriend, like a dollartree Mary Stuart Masterson

She was way too languid to be Laura. The character was supposed to be kind of intense and driven, right?

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2022 2:43 AM

There's a scene where he's talking on the phone with CZJ and she gives the creepiest laugh. She sounded like a serial killer taunting the police

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2022 6:49 AM

I liked this movie. John Cusack is great as lovable smartasses.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2022 7:02 AM

R9 He is, but an American actor playing Rob just felt wrong.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2022 12:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!