Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brain-Eating Amoeba??!

Like Monkeypox wasn’t bad enough, now we have this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2022 2:44 AM

I remember other deaths from this, over my 60 years. Nothing new. It's not "NOW" this.

by Anonymousreply 1August 19, 2022 1:43 AM

This has always been around, but it affects people relatively rarely. My friend got it after taking an impromptu swim in a natural pond of sorts. Fell into a coma and almost didn't make it, the prognosis for this is really bad. Still to this day can't focus properly and I think she said she's been having difficulty with learning and higher cognitive abilities ever since.

by Anonymousreply 2August 19, 2022 1:44 AM

This is actually not that uncommon. You hear stories about it from time to time when people go and swim in dirty shit in the summer.

by Anonymousreply 3August 19, 2022 1:44 AM

Oh please. This is hysterical “ratings grab” news. Like shark attacks. Very CBS 6:30.

by Anonymousreply 4August 19, 2022 1:45 AM

R4 Actually it was on NBC news with Lester Holt tonight.

by Anonymousreply 5August 19, 2022 1:47 AM

Was this always around though? It seems like it’s WAY bigger in the 21st century.

by Anonymousreply 6August 19, 2022 1:47 AM

r6 Well, they didn't have the tools to diagnose it properly before.

by Anonymousreply 7August 19, 2022 1:48 AM

We had a pond on our farm that had green-brown water with fish in it and about two inches of black gooey mud on the bottom. My brothers and I and our friends went swimming in it all the time. I'm amazed none of us got something like this from it.

by Anonymousreply 8August 19, 2022 1:50 AM

R6 It's getting worse because of climate change. The Brain-eating amoeba usually lurk in warmer Sunbelt water but this year someone got them from a lake in Iowa.

by Anonymousreply 9August 19, 2022 1:52 AM

This is one of the reasons to always boil water before using it in your neti pot.

by Anonymousreply 10August 19, 2022 1:52 AM

These brain-eating amoebas will go hungry in Nebraska.

by Anonymousreply 11August 19, 2022 1:54 AM

I've heard of brain-eating amoebas in relation to hot springs.

[italic] Never [/italic] dunk your head from ear-level down in a hot springs.

by Anonymousreply 12August 19, 2022 1:55 AM

R11 wins

by Anonymousreply 13August 19, 2022 1:57 AM

Not new. Just trying to stay relevant.

by Anonymousreply 14August 19, 2022 2:29 AM

Is this what happened to me?

by Anonymousreply 15August 19, 2022 2:38 AM

No, but it happened to me. Those backwaters of Georgia are full of them.

by Anonymousreply 16August 19, 2022 2:40 AM

R15 Fuck off headless fetus. I was here first. Plus, I was in a BESTSELLER.

by Anonymousreply 17August 19, 2022 2:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!